Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

nimper posted:

Your bill on the unlimited plan doesn't go down after you finish your 2 year contract. There's no discount for month to month unless you switch to a mobile share plan.

The other way to look at that is you don't pay extra for being in-contract as a Grandfathered Plan Holder, while Mobileshare makes you pay extra while in a 2-year contract. The reason that is is that Mobileshare pricing is based around people paying for their phones outright or on a payment plan, while the old plans are based on subsidized phones to keep you locked to the carrier.

As a result, you get charged a $15/$25 a month surcharge on 2 year contracts with Mobileshare so that they maintain their price point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Hey is there anyway to get a larger voicemail inbox? We're on at&t premier and customers have been complaining whenever the voicemail is full on one of our lines. We do clear it out a lot but we get a ton of calls on the line and at&t mailbox just fills up. They're using an iphone with visual voicemail. It's not that old problem where deleting voicemail on the iphone wasn't clearing out the at&t box, they just get too many calls.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

havenwaters posted:

Hey is there anyway to get a larger voicemail inbox? We're on at&t premier and customers have been complaining whenever the voicemail is full on one of our lines. We do clear it out a lot but we get a ton of calls on the line and at&t mailbox just fills up. They're using an iphone with visual voicemail. It's not that old problem where deleting voicemail on the iphone wasn't clearing out the at&t box, they just get too many calls.

Honestly, no idea. I would call premier support and see.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

http://slickdeals.net/f/8106988-at-t-upgrading-some-limited-minute-cellular-plans-to-unlimited-minutes-for-free-ymmv?v=1

Seems AT&T might be upgrading legacy plan holders to unlimited minutes? Anyone want to confirm/deny?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

BeAuMaN posted:

http://slickdeals.net/f/8106988-at-t-upgrading-some-limited-minute-cellular-plans-to-unlimited-minutes-for-free-ymmv?v=1

Seems AT&T might be upgrading legacy plan holders to unlimited minutes? Anyone want to confirm/deny?

Checked my 450 plan and no go, but I've got 3000+ rollover minutes anyway that never get used.

Phantom Limb
Jun 30, 2005

blargh
So I've got an iPhone 6 on Next 12 and just preordered a 6S+ that I'll be paying for on the Apple Upgrade Program. I'd like to keep the 6, either as a backup or to sell. Do I need to pay off the balance on the 6 immediately, or can I pay off the rest of the 6 over the next 8 months while using the 6S+?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I've been told twice by people at AT&T that Family Plan is increasing from 10 to 15 devices.

Every page on AT&T still says 10 devices.

Is there anything official that says 15 devices? I'd like to see something "real" instead of a possibly mis-informed worker telling me it.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Phantom Limb posted:

So I've got an iPhone 6 on Next 12 and just preordered a 6S+ that I'll be paying for on the Apple Upgrade Program. I'd like to keep the 6, either as a backup or to sell. Do I need to pay off the balance on the 6 immediately, or can I pay off the rest of the 6 over the next 8 months while using the 6S+?

You just pay off the rest of the phone in monthly payments, assuming you stay with AT&T. If you leave, then your payments "accelerate". Keep in mind that on NEXT 12, your total payment plan is 20 months with merely an option to upgrade your phone in 12 months via NEXT. If you don't upgrade via NEXT, then you have to pay the full 20 months.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Hooooly poo poo. They are rewarding the faithful:
http://9to5mac.com/2015/09/15/att-wont-throttle-unlimited-data-in-congestion-until-users-hit-22gb-an-over-4x-increase/

http://www.att.com/esupport/datausage.jsp?source=IZDUel1160000000U&partner=LinkShare&siteId=je6NUbpObpQ-49dx5HP9Lbg2mP3xnilMDQ

22GB until throttled (and only during Network Congestion in that area) for Unlimited Data Plan Users.

Edit: Really this probably means AT&T is losing against the FCC in that $100m lawsuit.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Sep 16, 2015

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

BeAuMaN posted:

Hooooly poo poo. They are rewarding the faithful:
http://9to5mac.com/2015/09/15/att-wont-throttle-unlimited-data-in-congestion-until-users-hit-22gb-an-over-4x-increase/

http://www.att.com/esupport/datausage.jsp?source=IZDUel1160000000U&partner=LinkShare&siteId=je6NUbpObpQ-49dx5HP9Lbg2mP3xnilMDQ

22GB until throttled (and only during Network Congestion in that area) for Unlimited Data Plan Users.

Edit: Really this probably means AT&T is losing against the FCC in that $100m lawsuit.

I am so freaking excited by that. I don't plan on ever renewing my contract. I will buy phones outright until the end. TAKE MY UNLIMITED DATA FROM MY COLD, DEAD HANDS.

(although we still can't get freaking hotspot access).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BeAuMaN posted:

This.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

suddenlyissoon posted:

I am so freaking excited by that. I don't plan on ever renewing my contract. I will buy phones outright until the end. TAKE MY UNLIMITED DATA FROM MY COLD, DEAD HANDS.

You can still do Next with an unlimited plan, they just tack on the monthly charge for the phone. It's still an interest free loan.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Phantom Limb posted:

I'm going to guess that since the iPhone Upgrade Program is done through Apple that it doesn't affect your Next status. I might be wrong, and I'd imagine no one actually knows the answer to this.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GoodBee posted:

You can still do Next with an unlimited plan, they just tack on the monthly charge for the phone. It's still an interest free loan.

Not really interest free anymore, they charge a $15 upgrade fee. So that's about a 2% fee for a $650 phone.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003
I am having some pretty severe difficulties with AT&T's failure (refusal?) to cancel services (land line and broadband, but we're keeping wireless) at an address we moved out of almost two months ago (amusingly enough right up the block from Whiteacre Tower). We have now called them 8 or 9 times to cancel these services, and instead, they keep billing us for them (even though the notes on the account all acknowledge that we made the initial cancellation request nearly two months ago, returned all equipment, etc.). We don't even live in the same state anymore. I've spent probably 15 hours on hold with AT&T in the last week. Every single person I talk to promises to take care of the problem, and every single person I talk to fails to do anything at all.

What I need to know is: is there an email address I can use to deal with this? I don't have the time to spend all day every day on hold with AT&T, and it is becoming apparent that we want to make sure there is a paper (or pixel) trail. I'm sick and tired of wasting my days calling people who cannot actually do anything.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Suddenly on my Nexus6 I'm having severe issues downloading MMS messages. MAYBE one will come through in an hour, the rest just get stuck downloading or failure to download. I'm not rooted, the most "aggressive" thing I do is download GPS updates when they're put out on APK Mirror. I've reset the phone, reset APNs, force closed Messenger, and still nothing.

What else can I try?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

FunOne posted:

Suddenly on my Nexus6 I'm having severe issues downloading MMS messages. MAYBE one will come through in an hour, the rest just get stuck downloading or failure to download. I'm not rooted, the most "aggressive" thing I do is download GPS updates when they're put out on APK Mirror. I've reset the phone, reset APNs, force closed Messenger, and still nothing.

What else can I try?

A different texting app, perhaps.

Textra is nice.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
i picked up a fire phone to upgrade my daughters ancient samsung. I am contract free, will at&t charge me for a sim or activation?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

nimper posted:

A different texting app, perhaps.

Textra is nice.

Not a solution. And textra lacks some basic features that I want anyway. I'm able to send but not receive MMS for some loving reason.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Silly Burrito posted:

Checked my 450 plan and no go, but I've got 3000+ rollover minutes anyway that never get used.

I have 6000 rollover on my 700 plan. I could give 2 shits about unlimited.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 17, 2015

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

adorai posted:

i picked up a fire phone to upgrade my daughters ancient samsung. I am contract free, will at&t charge me for a sim or activation?

Is this the one you picked up? From this company?: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazon-Fire-Phone-32GB-4G-LTE-AT-T-Unlocked-Smartphone-W-Prime-Warranty-/171855373654?hash=item280360e556

It was down to $120 recently. AT&T dumped a bunch of firephones onto this third party seller on the cheap.

If so, it already comes with an AT&T nano-sim. If not.... AT&T should give you a free sim card. Could always try going down to your local Corporate AT&T store and getting one.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
That is the one I got, and I did get it at $120. Crazy deal, effectively $20 for a pretty decent cell phone. So it should be as easy as calling at&t to activate it with her number for free?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah, that thing has been dropping for a while now. I picked it up when they announced it on Slickdeals for $140.
(Sidenote: For some reason Slickdeals hired me recently.)

It should be that simple, yeah. Give them a call. It also comes with an unlock code on a piece of paper (all that does is let you use the phone on another network). If you care about that being unlocked or you just wanted it unlocked ~because~, you'll need a sim card from a competitor (that's not an AT&T MVNO), and after inserting it, it'll let you unlock it. I just wanted to have it unlocked because that's what I paid for, so I got a T-mobile nano sim when their sim card activation kit went on sale for $1.

This is when I got on it, and someone made a fairly good wiki post: http://slickdeals.net/f/8057290-amazon-fire-phone-1-year-amazon-prime-membership-64gb-159-32gb-139-free-shipping?src=SiteSearch

You can do things like sideload google apps, or load the latest Cyanogen Mod to convert it over from Amazon's... "Interesting"... OS over to stock Android. There's some bugs last I heard, so do your research. You might want to do that if you're going to use it as a phone (I might just use it as a camera, I hear the camera is nifty). They probably talk about all this in the like 5 Front Page deals or whatever there's been when QualityCellz puts these firephones on sale.

To be honest, I picked this up as a cheap phone for my dad. But then I remembered that his hands are full of callus and touch screen phones don't work for him :smith:.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 17, 2015

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

suddenlyissoon posted:

My wife just hit 19GB with 3 days left on the bill. Yeah I'm never coming off of my unlimited plan.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

gohmak posted:

My wife just hit 19GB with 3 days left on the bill. Yeah I'm never coming off of my unlimited plan.

You guys say that now... but consider that they're probably going to drop the floor out from the unlimited plan.

Calling it now: Considering they already give "Unlimited" data on Cricket (They sell data plans at so many GB at high speed 4G LTE capped at 8mbps, then the rest of the data is slow), a MVNO owned by AT&T, they'll announce within 6-8 months that AT&T is now offering "Unlimited" on all Mobile Share plans, and that the data caps that the customers buy are for high speed access, and then after they hit those caps they'll be slowed down, just like the cricket mvno.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

BeAuMaN posted:

You guys say that now... but consider that they're probably going to drop the floor out from the unlimited plan.

Calling it now: Considering they already give "Unlimited" data on Cricket (They sell data plans at so many GB at high speed 4G LTE capped at 8mbps, then the rest of the data is slow), a MVNO owned by AT&T, they'll announce within 6-8 months that AT&T is now offering "Unlimited" on all Mobile Share plans, and that the data caps that the customers buy are for high speed access, and then after they hit those caps they'll be slowed down, just like the cricket mvno.

If anything the grandfathered plans will be left alone and the new ones will match T-Mobile with set amount highspeed and the rest edge.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 17, 2015

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Well, you'd be looking at $115 for 15 GB "unlimited" in that case, and I think for a lot of people still on unlimited post less than that for 22GB "unlimited".

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah, but you won't get tethering on your grandfathered plan, and you can't share that data with other lines on your plan if you have a family plan.

Looked into this Unlimited minutes thing. Called and had them reduce my minutes anyway, since I was going to do that a week or two ago, I've just been too busy.

quote:

Before Call:
Feature Summary

Cost Summary:

quote:

After Call:
Feature Summary

Cost Summary

Either AT&T is goofing up big time or they're converting it all to unlimited minutes. I asked the CSR about unlimited minutes showing up, but she didn't acknowledge it. If this is happening, one might be able to drop down their bill pretty low.

Do we have any insiders left that can comment on this?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BeAuMaN posted:

Yeah, but you won't get tethering on your grandfathered plan, and you can't share that data with other lines on your plan if you have a family plan.

Looked into this Unlimited minutes thing. Called and had them reduce my minutes anyway, since I was going to do that a week or two ago, I've just been too busy.

Either AT&T is goofing up big time or they're converting it all to unlimited minutes. I asked the CSR about unlimited minutes showing up, but she didn't acknowledge it. If this is happening, one might be able to drop down their bill pretty low.

No idea. That being said, not many people call landlines, so even before unlimited calling most families were fine with the 700 minute plan when it was landline calling. But sales wise, if someone is on the 1400 minute plan, you don't go "oh hey, save $20 and go down," you go "oh hey, new plan is this much cheaper."

It's just how it works, and I'm sure all departments are oriented that way.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

BeAuMaN posted:

What can they take away from me though? I'm already buying phones outright & not renewing my contract and I've been living without hotspots this long. Outside of not being able to add anyone to my accounts (my wife will never leave Verizon), what could they possibly do?

bcstmr
Apr 17, 2004

BeAuMaN posted:

I would like to know about this possible conversion as well. I talked to a CSR and also stopped by a corporate store to shed some light, but they were useless. If all the FamilyTalk plans are being converted to unlimited minutes, I could drop from 1400 to 700 and save $33/month. Any plan change automatically removes the A-List feature however, so I'd need to be sure before pulling the trigger.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
so I got a new SIM card yesterday and switched to a Samsung Galaxy Alpha that I'm borrowing until the new Nexus comes out (or I decide to buy a Z5C instead), and I've gotten about twenty texts that look like this:

quote:

AT&T FREE MESSAGE - This is an automated message, please ignore. 88058990-phec8r

the string at the end is different every time. I haven't been able to detect a pattern of when they're being sent. anyone know how to stop these?

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I've just purchased an iPhone 6S directly from Apple and I paid full price for the phone because I wasn't eligible for AT&T Next or any early upgrades.

Will I be able to unlock the phone immediately since I paid full price?

I'm still under a two-year contract but I did pay full price for the phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vinlaen posted:

I've just purchased an iPhone 6S directly from Apple and I paid full price for the phone because I wasn't eligible for AT&T Next or any early upgrades.

Should be able to since it goes by IMEI. The system might be confused, so the worst case is you're talking to care for a bit. FYI the stores can't do anything with unlocking, so if you have an issue you will have to call customer care.

MrNonacho
May 7, 2002

It ain't easy being white
It ain't easy being brown
All this pressure to be bright
I got children all over town!

Vinlaen posted:

I just got my 6s Plus that I paid full price for through Apple and I got the "Congratulations, your phone is unlocked" message when I set it up.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile today. However, my AT&T billing cycle happened the day before.

When I called AT&T, the rep told me that even though I had only used my phone for like 8 hours during the new billing cycle (before cancelling today), I would be charged the full $95 for the new month and there was absolutely nothing she or anyone could do about it, and refused to let me talk to anyone else about it either.

This doesn't seem right to me, but I want to check to see if anyone knows about this? I was on AT&T for nearly 6 years, just switched to T-Mobile because it was $30 a month cheaper and I was also getting totally screwed on international data pricing. My phone was all paid off, and I wasn't on any contract.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PRADA SLUT posted:

I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile today. However, my AT&T billing cycle happened the day before.

When I called AT&T, the rep told me that even though I had only used my phone for like 8 hours during the new billing cycle (before cancelling today), I would be charged the full $95 for the new month and there was absolutely nothing she or anyone could do about it, and refused to let me talk to anyone else about it either.

This doesn't seem right to be, but I want to check to see if anyone knows about this? I was on AT&T for nearly 6 years, just switched to T-Mobile because it was $30 a month cheaper and I was also getting totally screwed on international data pricing.

Wait and see if it prorated, and you can always dispute it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've never had a carrier not prorate upon canceling, and that includes AT&T. If, for some reason, they bill you for the full month, dispute it. My final T-Mobile bill was $3.21.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I think the way it works is that you're sorta paying ahead. So in that scenario it doesn't matter that he used that account for one day. He has to pay. What should happen (what happened to me) is that the next bill will be the prorated amount so he'll end up getting a check from ATT for whatever the prorated difference is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think the way it works is that you're sorta paying ahead. So in that scenario it doesn't matter that he used that account for one day. He has to pay. What should happen (what happened to me) is that the next bill will be the prorated amount so he'll end up getting a check from ATT for whatever the prorated difference is.
No? It's call postpaid for a reason.