Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Two Beans posted:

There was also that weird feud between Jerry Lawler and Tom Savini, where Tom was trying to get revenge on Lawler being indirectly responsible for the death of Andy Kaufman. So he used his Hollywood magic to summon every slasher film icon to go after Jerry.

That's awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ChrisBTY posted:

Oz wasn't a ripoff per se. He was an cross-promotional tactic. A bad one.

And I mean Zeus was literally Zeus from the movie but yeah, basically the same principles are involved but there are no C&D's involved.

He wrrstled as Z-Gangsta was in WCW, not WWF.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

He was Zeus in WWF but they even just said he was supposed to be the guy from the movie. Z-Gangsta it was only implied.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

RZApublican posted:

Did Art Barr as Beetlejuice ever wrestle Doink? That seems like a match that should have happened in some parallel universe.

Pretty sure Art Barr was dead by the time Doink came about as a character.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
Doink debuted in 92, didn't Barr have a 5-star match in 93?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

DynamiteKidd posted:

Doink debuted in 92, didn't Barr have a 5-star match in 93?

'94, at When Worlds Collide

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DynamiteKidd posted:

And I just remember Lord Humongous, which was such a well-traveled gimmick on the indies in the 90s that it was at one point given to Hale! Also Sid.

Then Gunner Eudy took up the gimmick and feuded with daddy.

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

Chris James 2 posted:

'94, at When Worlds Collide

Still one of the best cards ever IMO, and that was MOTN.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I dunno how prevalent it might have been in the states if at all but in the UK in the late 90s/early 00s there was always a dude being Kane at pretty much any Indy you could find. Just being billed as actually Kane.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Underfaker and the legends of doom were other staples of 90s British wrestling.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
TONIGHT!

8 PM!

NITRO WEEK CONTINUES WITH THE 9-21-98 NITRO!

Witness the WARRIOR perform one of his legendary feats!

Thrill to the mysterious cackling!

Also:

Barry Darsow vs Fit Finlay

Alex Wright vs DDP

Chavo vs Konnan

Raven and Kanyon vs Los Villanos

Disco Inferno vs Kidman for the Cruiserweight title

Lenny Lane vs The Cat

SATURN VS JERRY FLYNN

Stevie Ray and the Giant vs Lex Luger and Kevin Nash

AND SO MUCH MORE!

This show features a legendary angle, a shocking match, a memorable series of skits and so much more so tune in at 8 PM for NITRO!!!!

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Oh goddamn I'm pissed at myself for missing Raven/Kanyon v. Villanos.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Oklahoma v. Madusa for the WCW Cruiserweight Championship.

Brian Knobbs is the hardcore champion. I've seen Brian Knobbs rear end hole. It looks like a VHS tape would fit in there perfectly.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
So I found my old 486DX the other day (technically a 487 because I had a math coprocessor of course) and was going through some old files. Look what I had saved:

(ironically I searched the internet for this because I can't transfer files from my 486 to my other computers - no floppy drives :( )

Obviously I was preserving it for the amazing graphic design it was. LA Melee 98 was an "audio-only internet PPV" because that's something you'd pay for.

No one saved the audio broadcasts, though maybe WWE still has them someplace?

But some fans did make home recordings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBiJSKOzAwU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

pathetic little tramp posted:

So I found my old 486DX the other day (technically a 487 because I had a math coprocessor of course) and was going through some old files. Look what I had saved:

(ironically I searched the internet for this because I can't transfer files from my 486 to my other computers - no floppy drives :( )

Obviously I was preserving it for the amazing graphic design it was. LA Melee 98 was an "audio-only internet PPV" because that's something you'd pay for.

No one saved the audio broadcasts, though maybe WWE still has them someplace?

But some fans did make home recordings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBiJSKOzAwU

Huh, that's pretty interesting. Clearly it was filmed since you can see the camera guys shooting the entrances. You'd have to assume that the WWE have the tapes somewhere.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

"Real Estate" Steve "Sting" Borden died for our sins main eventing an Up North pay per view show. How are we commemorating his career?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I don't want to poo poo up the WWE threads with my bitching, but what exactly is the point of signing Sting and then having him job at every PPV? I thought the idea was to throw him into the geriatric wrestlers club and have him work the WWE Masters Tour, not have him put over much younger guys who are capable of working better matches.

Really I'm just a dumb mark for Sting :smith:

Also, a guy his age shouldn't be taking a turnbuckle power bomb bump.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Just noticed they uploaded 97-98 WCW Nitros. First Nitro of '97 and Bischoff, Nash and X-pac take over the commentary table and proceed to be completely boring. Nothing has changed :allears:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

1st AD posted:

I don't want to poo poo up the WWE threads with my bitching, but what exactly is the point of signing Sting and then having him job at every PPV? I thought the idea was to throw him into the geriatric wrestlers club and have him work the WWE Masters Tour, not have him put over much younger guys who are capable of working better matches.

The key is to remember that Vince loves making WCW guys lose

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

1st AD posted:

I'm among the biggest and dumbest of Sting marks, but asking "why did they hire this old guy just to have him lose to these young guys," seems a little wrong-headed, especially here in the WCW thread of all places.

That being said, Triple H beating Sting at last Mania was the dumbest god drat thing if they were always going to give him a title shot this year against the Authority's golden boy. He should be 1-1 right now instead of 0-2.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Honestly he shouldn't really even be in the main event unless they want to give him a title for reasons unknown. I always figured he could do matches against other part timers.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Sanguinia posted:

I'm among the biggest and dumbest of Sting marks, but asking "why did they hire this old guy just to have him lose to these young guys," seems a little wrong-headed, especially here in the WCW thread of all places.

That being said, Triple H beating Sting at last Mania was the dumbest god drat thing if they were always going to give him a title shot this year against the Authority's golden boy. He should be 1-1 right now instead of 0-2.

Yeah it would have made a lot more sense (and made WCW marks happy) to have Sting beat HHH. And man, they really should have had Robocop come out for the last minute assist.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Yeah it would have made a lot more sense (and made WCW marks happy) to have Sting beat HHH. And man, they really should have had Robocop come out for the last minute assist.

Which could have set up the Sting/Robocop v. HHH/Terminator Wrestlemania tag team match I'm sure we all want to see.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Is Lex Luger still in a wheelchair? I was legit disappointed he didn't show up at Mania to help Sting and then immediately turn on him

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Benne posted:

Is Lex Luger still in a wheelchair? I was legit disappointed he didn't show up at Mania to help Sting and then immediately turn on him

I think he can stand now but still has extremely limited mobility

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

He can drive himself now but that's about it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Luigi Thirty posted:

He can drive the lex express now but that's about it.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Benne posted:

No, we went over this, after HBK came as Hunter's Final Trump Card and got him back the Sledgehammer, it should have been Flair as his equivalent who came down to give Sting the bat, then betrayed him after they were done with the Break The Hammer sequence.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Is Sting still dead?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

1st AD posted:

Is Sting still dead?

Well, Lex Luger visited him at the hospital with a "real nice present" for him so I can't imagine Sting is anything but improving right now.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Defiance Industries posted:

Well, Lex Luger visited him at the hospital with a "real nice present" for him so I can't imagine Sting is anything but improving right now.

I hope that's codeword for a heel turn from Lex Luger.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Numero6 posted:

I hope that's codeword for a heel turn from Lex Luger.

If by heel turn you mean handjob, sure.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Luger is the only person partially immune to the pheromones Sting produces that causes everybody he meets to turn on him.
He had other visitors, but they kept hitting him in the head with his bedpan so the doctors had to shoo them out. (the doctors were wearing masks, which they realized was a necessary measure after the first 3 docs kept hitting Sting with his bedpan).

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Luger/Sting partnership always interested me, especially once I started watching Nitro along with Bryan & Vinny. Wasn't Luger always working heel at the time, unless he teamed up with Sting because they were such good buddies?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

ChrisBTY posted:

Luger is the only person partially immune to the pheromones Sting produces that causes everybody he meets to turn on him.
He had other visitors, but they kept hitting him in the head with his bedpan so the doctors had to shoo them out. (the doctors were wearing masks, which they realized was a necessary measure after the first 3 docs kept hitting Sting with his bedpan).

What if Steve Austin visited Sting with the explicit intention of hitting him in the head with a bedpan?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

It's hard to betray somebody when you're overtly hostile to them to begin with.
Even Sting has yet to cross that threshold.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

What if Steve Austin visited Sting with the explicit intention of hitting him in the head with a bedpan?

Whatever happens, it ends with Sting catching a Stunner.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

It's hard to betray somebody when you're overtly hostile to them to begin with.
Even Sting has yet to cross that threshold.

Did Bret manage to do this in WCW? There was so much twisted logic involved in his time there nothing he did made any sense. I don't think he knew.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Benne posted:

The Luger/Sting partnership always interested me, especially once I started watching Nitro along with Bryan & Vinny. Wasn't Luger always working heel at the time, unless he teamed up with Sting because they were such good buddies?

They basically tried doing a 'But what side is he on?' thing with Luger. But it never really worked. He ends up just essentially heeling it up behind Sting's back. So Sting would take a bump, then Luger would cheat to win, and Sting would be confused. During this time it has never crossed his mind to perhaps view the replay or just watch a tape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

DrVenkman posted:

They basically tried doing a 'But what side is he on?' thing with Luger. But it never really worked. He ends up just essentially heeling it up behind Sting's back. So Sting would take a bump, then Luger would cheat to win, and Sting would be confused. During this time it has never crossed his mind to perhaps view the replay or just watch a tape.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/sting-interviewed-about-night-of-champions-injuries-27958909

The Stinger posted:

You know, for 30 years I have watched very, very little of myself wrestling, so I probably would not.