Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prime Sinister
Mar 23, 2005

tony scare
Well, that was pretty fun. Had my first 'big' win on this site with the NO on a shutdown. I was on the bus checking my phone and saw that my balance was way higher than expected. Managed to dump off my shares in the low-mid 90's. Good timing, too, because last I saw it's dipped into the 80's again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
So yeah it looks like I timed that market almost perfectly. Nice.

DNR are you alright :ohdear:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Prime Sinister posted:

Well, that was pretty fun. Had my first 'big' win on this site with the NO on a shutdown. I was on the bus checking my phone and saw that my balance was way higher than expected. Managed to dump off my shares in the low-mid 90's. Good timing, too, because last I saw it's dipped into the 80's again.

It's up to like 94 now.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Yeah whoops, I had my sells marked at 75 because I figured they'd get to that on Monday and I wanted to unload up 20/share juuuust incase the house went nuts. Missed out on ˜30/share. Making money on this site means a lot of jumping on trends and re-adjusting your sell prices. I'm also at a disadvantage on the west coast if news like this breaks at 9.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Woke up late, checked politico, dumped my NO shutdown shares at .91.

I'm super-over-exposed on Biden NO with about 60% of my portfolio in it and it's slowly sinking

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Aliquid posted:

I'm super-over-exposed on Biden NO with about 60% of my portfolio in it and it's slowly sinking

I've diversified my portfolio among Biden not running, Biden not winning Iowa, and Biden not winning the D nomination :buddy:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
A new challenger approaches!

https://www.predictit.org/Contract/1241/Will-Kevin-McCarthy-be-the-next-Speaker-of-the-House-of-Representatives

He's a pretty good bet, honestly. I'd love to see the Gohmert market though.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

pathetic little tramp posted:

A new challenger approaches!

https://www.predictit.org/Contract/1241/Will-Kevin-McCarthy-be-the-next-Speaker-of-the-House-of-Representatives

He's a pretty good bet, honestly. I'd love to see the Gohmert market though.

Why is he the only one on PredictIt? Shouldn't there be other contender markets?

edit: And who the hell is driving WALKER.RNOM16 up?? Did some poor bastard not get the memo?

Necc0 has issued a correction as of 19:32 on Sep 25, 2015

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Took my NO shutdown proceeds and bought into McCarthy YES split between .65 and .66, seems like a good bet to me.

edit whoa that shot up fast, now there are only 50 shares available between .69 and .73. I'm out of money, y'all get 'em while they're hot

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer has issued a correction as of 01:45 on Jan 23, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
One day I'm going to be the one holding 10 cent stocks by the bundle when the market flips. One day.

Come on Trump, trump them polls by next week.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
PredictIt ProTip, when there are multiple options and one is at 99 YES, there's always a little delay before people realise the other markets should resolve as NO, so you can sometimes catch a few 90s if you missed the YES upsurge.

A Time To Chill
Feb 26, 2007

Oh cool I was asleep when the bottom dropped out of the shutdown market. RIP 80 bucks :smith:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Yeah I am back at even now :(

The Obama approval also had a crazy huge swing as RCP decided to drop off two polls at once.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Is it possible that even if Boehner tries work with the Democrats to avoid a shutdown, the rest of his party can stop that from happening? Like if Boehner offers a reasonable spending bill, they can fillibuster it, right?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Devils Affricate posted:

Is it possible that even if Boehner tries work with the Democrats to avoid a shutdown, the rest of his party can stop that from happening? Like if Boehner offers a reasonable spending bill, they can fillibuster it, right?

The House can't filibuster poo poo. If Boehner puts forward something Pelosi agrees to he only needs a small handful of Republicans to also join in in order to pass something.

Now if all the Republicans hang together, then it doesn't matter what Boehner does, he can't pass anything. This is exceedingly unlikely and with him resigning at the end of next month there is a vanishingly small chance the government shuts down. Though I did enjoy the crackpot theory that the Pope's visit has radicalized Boehner, and now he's using his last days in office to defund Planed Parenthood. It was a good laugh.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
So who is going to be the next majority leader?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Stereotype posted:

So who is going to be the next majority leader?

I really wish they had a huge list of every Republican Rep to chose from.

Wanna be able to bet on Gohmert so much.

Also I'm kind of hoping they chose someone who isn't even a member of the House just to totally gently caress with everyone. Speaker White Hot Ball Of Rage.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
lol I just made 10 dollars flipping stocks on that brand new market

(it's going to be either Scalise or Rodgers probably, they're in line, it just matters if they want a woman or not at the #2 spot)

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

I think there is money to be made betting that Bush will be over 10%. The current polling is 9.8% which being a week away, no recent polls, Trump falling, the oldest poll being 9% and his strong debate performance means it should be at least even money, but YES is currently trading in the low 30's.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
The "Who will be the next speaker" market is open. Your choices are:

Scalise,
Rodgers
Jim Jordan
Pete Sessions
Tom Price
Patrick McHenry
Pete Roskam

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Scalise,
Rodgers
Jim Jordan
Pete Sessions
Tom Price
Patrick McHenry
Pete Roskam

Who's least likely, Roskam?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Scalise,
Rodgers
Jim Jordan
Pete Sessions
Tom Price
Patrick McHenry
Pete Roskam

There should be a Pelosi option.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

A Time To Chill posted:

Oh cool I was asleep when the bottom dropped out of the shutdown market. RIP 80 bucks :smith:

Yep, you can make $10 dozens of times but when you lose a big bet it really brings things back down to earth. I still made money on that yes bet, though

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Vox Nihili posted:

Yep, you can make $10 dozens of times but when you lose a big bet it really brings things back down to earth. I still made money on that yes bet, though

Just out of curiosity, were you caught with your pants down while trading on the market swings or did you think that there was actually going to be a shutdown?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I would've been heavy on Shutdown YES right up until the Boehner resignation. I thought there would at least be a 1-2 day shutdown until something got hammered out.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Wanamingo posted:

Just out of curiosity, were you caught with your pants down while trading on the market swings or did you think that there was actually going to be a shutdown?

I was thinking no as the probable outcome all along but bought into yes a few times when no peaked early on. Never held long enough to get caught, but could easily have eaten it at the end (thought there would be more of a yes spike and got off even on my last buy).

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

edit nm bad post

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 00:26 on Sep 28, 2015

sithael
Nov 11, 2004
I'm a Sad Panda too!
RCP never updated the congressional job approval poll so it ended up going off what it was before.

someone was right, polls are basically betting on website maintenance.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Betting on polls seems to be dicey, but I'm debating whether to buy NO for Bush cracking 10%. It seems like a coinflip that a new poll comes out by 9/30, and then another coin flip that the poll puts him over 10%.

Loving the Diamond Joe running for Prez by 12/31 No's and Trump running 3rd party by 12/31 No's though. Almost maxed out on both.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like no on both the direction of the country and congressional approvals are good buys this week. Both have an old poll propping the number up, and after RCP got rid of the old polls from the presidential primaries the other day, I'd say it's likely they'll get rid of these too.

A Time To Chill
Feb 26, 2007

Wanamingo posted:

Looks like no on both the direction of the country and congressional approvals are good buys this week. Both have an old poll propping the number up, and after RCP got rid of the old polls from the presidential primaries the other day, I'd say it's likely they'll get rid of these too.

I've already been fooled twice on congressional approval, so shame on me.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Betting on polls is stupid. The "congressional approval" one didn't update for the entire run of the last market.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The only polls that probably won't gently caress you over are the monthly polls and the weekly Obama one where you can bet across multiple tranches. Still, it's always best to be out of the market at least 1 day before they end. You're not just betting on what the polls are but which polls RCP decides to use.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Gyges posted:

The only polls that probably won't gently caress you over are the monthly polls and the weekly Obama one where you can bet across multiple tranches. Still, it's always best to be out of the market at least 1 day before they end. You're not just betting on what the polls are but which polls RCP decides to use.

They'll all gently caress you over, really. Much safer to avoid them entirely. It's hard to, though, because there are few other short-term options.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Two weeks left for Biden to announce

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Vox Nihili posted:

They'll all gently caress you over, really. Much safer to avoid them entirely. It's hard to, though, because there are few other short-term options.

Yeah, making money with any kind of swiftness is all luck really. The only strategy on a non-poll market is to find a NO that's way undervalued, grab onto it and put in your sell orders a little above it, hoping the eventual spike will happen sooner rather than later.

edit: drat, just made money on McMorris-Rodgers NO, what caused that spike, did she say something?

pathetic little tramp has issued a correction as of 20:06 on Sep 28, 2015

Prime Sinister
Mar 23, 2005

tony scare

Yeah, making money with any kind of swiftness is all luck really. The only strategy on a non-poll market is to find a NO that's way undervalued, grab onto it and put in your sell orders a little above it, hoping the eventual spike will happen sooner rather than later.

edit: drat, just made money on McMorris-Rodgers NO, what caused that spike, did she say something?

Paul Ryan and and Jeb Hensarling both endorsed Tom Price.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord