Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I wasn't really trying to knock the movie for that exactly, or mean any disrespect to the Vietnamese or anything like that. I honestly have no real opinion on the movie since I haven't seen it over a decade and remember very little about it. I just thought it was kind of funny since the attitude people at the time took away from the battle was basically the exact opposite and it had some rather dire ramifications.

I think people are not remembering the book in this thread or something, because the movie isn't really an accurate representation of what happened at all. The same NVA force that the US so heroically defeats in the movie We Were Heroes in real-life almost wiped out another US unit just a few days later. The Ia Drang Valley is kind of an interesting moment in the Vietnam war because it was a proof of concept of a new way of fighting a war, with the Air Cavalry, and was claimed as a victory for both sides . It was incredibly horrific fighting, and really the only victory the US could point to were the casualty figures, which were/are notoriously unreliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Whoever has a ton of movies in their queue may want to check it because I've got like 70 movies being taken off on October 1st, looks like not renewing the Epix deal is gonna take a big chunk of stuff off Netflix. Luckily most or all of it will still be on Prime and Hulu.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Whoever has a ton of movies in their queue may want to check it because I've got like 70 movies being taken off on October 1st, looks like not renewing the Epix deal is gonna take a big chunk of stuff off Netflix. Luckily most or all of it will still be on Prime and Hulu.
gently caress! Can I watch 8 movies by then, I wonder?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Amazon Prime is $67 today and today only in case anyone was on the fence about it

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I just watched Escape From Tomorrow. It's loving weird, because...

I've never seen a movie so badly acted, with such bad sound and ugly visuals and with such a confused story, such an objectively bad movie...

... That I've also liked?

I think what it was was that I could see the movie they wanted to make and I really liked that, and the movie they did make was so entertainingly bad that my enjoyment of it became genuine? Is such a thing possible??

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Netflix is producing 12 episodes of Black Mirror.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
gently caress yeah. If you haven't seen that show, watch it. It rules.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Calico Heart posted:

I just watched Escape From Tomorrow. It's loving weird, because...

I've never seen a movie so badly acted, with such bad sound and ugly visuals and with such a confused story, such an objectively bad movie...

... That I've also liked?

I think what it was was that I could see the movie they wanted to make and I really liked that, and the movie they did make was so entertainingly bad that my enjoyment of it became genuine? Is such a thing possible??

I don't think it was that badly acted, considering the circumstances surrounding it's filming. And I think objectively bad isn't even close to being true. That said it's obviously quite rough around the edges. I think it's an interesting movie, and the way it was filmed is quite unique.
This is good news. The original and the Christmas special were all pretty good. I do wonder how they'll end up handling it though, if it's like the original episodes 12 seasons is like 4 years of shows.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It's kind of a successor to Carnival of Souls, with all that entails.

I liked it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:swoon:

Black Mirror is sooooooooo good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i watched all of Black Mirror the other day. neat show that kept me interested, but also has a very noticable downhill slide episode to episode. interested to see if the new stuff corrects that.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The first episode was clearly the worst. Much too outlandish to be taken seriously, especially when you consider it's a stodgy British politician.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

david_a posted:

The first episode was clearly the worst. Much too outlandish to be taken seriously, especially when you consider it's a stodgy British politician.

disagree, the first episode is the best by a very wide margin. felt fresh and dealt with the material in a remarkably believable, straight-on way. the rest of the episodes just felt increasingly cliched as they went on, although they have their moments.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Plus the first episode is actually a documentary.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I have 47 movies/series expiring by 10/1. Thanks netflix!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah the first two episodes of Black Mirror are far and away my favorites. I hope the new ones have that level of commitment to the premise and weirdness. The other episodes vary from "okay" to "good".

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

precision posted:

Yeah the first two episodes of Black Mirror are far and away my favorites. I hope the new ones have that level of commitment to the premise and weirdness. The other episodes vary from "okay" to "good".

yeah they generally all have at least something to offer. the only one that didn't do anything for me was White Bear.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I really liked The Waldo Moment

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The National Anthem and The Waldo Moment are pretty much complete opposites for me. I was never particularly invested in the core idea of the former, but it's redeemed through an impressively grounded execution. The Waldo Moment is a fun idea that never goes anywhere, topped off with the most unearned conclusion the show has tried to put together.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

The National Anthem and The Waldo Moment are pretty much complete opposites for me. I was never particularly invested in the core idea of the former, but it's redeemed through an impressively grounded execution. The Waldo Moment is a fun idea that never goes anywhere, topped off with the most unearned conclusion the show has tried to put together.

i don't often pull this card, but i decided the coda to that episode works much better if you take it as a dream sequence

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Plus the first episode is actually a documentary.
:thejoke:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Part of the reason why Black Mirror is so uneven is because it's more or less a dumping ground of different scripts the writers have been kicking around but unable to ever actually use. The Waldo Moment was originally a Nathan Barley episode making fun of Sacha Baron Cohen and The National Anthem is so old that when they originally conceived it it was a Princess Diana analog being kidnapped.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

I have a (probably incorrect and/or oversimplified) Netflix theory. Traditionally, older people (boomers, whatever) watch crummy tv shows and episodic content more than films. As Netflix got more popular and more people started watching the episodic content available instead of the loads of films, some nerds at Netflix realized that they would make more money trying to be a watered down HBO and buying the rights to less movies. I'm the kind of viewer who watches as many movies as I do traditional tv type programs so I feel I am going to suffer. I don't mind Netflix making more content like they have, but I hope they continue to offer a decent selection of movies too.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

I have a (probably incorrect and/or oversimplified) Netflix theory. Traditionally, older people (boomers, whatever) watch crummy tv shows and episodic content more than films. As Netflix got more popular and more people started watching the episodic content available instead of the loads of films, some nerds at Netflix realized that they would make more money trying to be a watered down HBO and buying the rights to less movies. I'm the kind of viewer who watches as many movies as I do traditional tv type programs so I feel I am going to suffer. I don't mind Netflix making more content like they have, but I hope they continue to offer a decent selection of movies too.

If the most important thing to you is catalogue selection then you should really consider DVD / Blu-ray rental. It jacks the price way up but there's a reason a few million people still subscribe — it's the best video store ever. If you're watching a movie every night / every other day it's still an amazing value compared to cable.

Second, you're correct — something like 80% of all streaming activity is television, not movies. While they may have algorithm nerds working for them, it's a complete business decision to become a content provider, not some lark. Being a middleman means you're always fighting for an increasingly expensive slice of pie, and their costs have gone up much faster than even their fast-growing subscriber base. Add into that the clusterfuck of international rights (look at how much we chat about VPNs to get Netflix Norway or whatever) and you can understand the simple economics of making your own perpetually exclusive content.

Having your name be synonymous with streaming movies is great, but is an advantage that won't last the way that having HBO's catalogue would.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Is Netflix losing any classic horror movies like Hellraiser, Nightmare on Elm Street, Scream, or Black Sunday? That's all I'm really concerned about for this month.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Is Netflix losing any classic horror movies like Hellraiser, Nightmare on Elm Street, Scream, or Black Sunday? That's all I'm really concerned about for this month.

Hellraiser and Scream are sticking around.

Nightmare on Elm Street, Black Sunday, Night of the Living Dead, The Exorcist, The Dead Zone, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and presumably other stuff too are all leaving October 1.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Amazon Prime is $67 today and today only in case anyone was on the fence about it
Got excited about this for a second but its for new members only.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Cocoa Ninja posted:

If the most important thing to you is catalogue selection then you should really consider DVD / Blu-ray rental. It jacks the price way up but there's a reason a few million people still subscribe — it's the best video store ever. If you're watching a movie every night / every other day it's still an amazing value compared to cable.

Second, you're correct — something like 80% of all streaming activity is television, not movies. While they may have algorithm nerds working for them, it's a complete business decision to become a content provider, not some lark. Being a middleman means you're always fighting for an increasingly expensive slice of pie, and their costs have gone up much faster than even their fast-growing subscriber base. Add into that the clusterfuck of international rights (look at how much we chat about VPNs to get Netflix Norway or whatever) and you can understand the simple economics of making your own perpetually exclusive content.

Having your name be synonymous with streaming movies is great, but is an advantage that won't last the way that having HBO's catalogue would.

I rarely get bored with the content on Netflix, but recently I find myself running out of films to watch. I know its just business, but if it gets much worse I may have to drop Netflix someday. Personally I don't feel like paying more for the dvd/bluray thing as I am more of a random binge watcher of films. I'll just wait and see what happens. I can't really trash talk Netflix yet because it is about 90% of what I use my television for.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

Hellraiser and Scream are sticking around.

Nightmare on Elm Street, Black Sunday, Night of the Living Dead, The Exorcist, The Dead Zone, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and presumably other stuff too are all leaving October 1.

Ugh, I was planning to watch a few of those in October. I own The Exorcist and I think Black Sunday is on Hulu but maybe I'll just buy NoES. I can't skip that this year because Craven died recently, he must be honored this Halloween season.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

I think Netflix's licensing agreement means most of the major horror movies are gone for the month of October in the leadup to Halloween.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Ugh, I was planning to watch a few of those in October. I own The Exorcist and I think Black Sunday is on Hulu but maybe I'll just buy NoES. I can't skip that this year because Craven died recently, he must be honored this Halloween season.

None of the stuff I listed is on Hulu except for Night of the Living Dead, which is only available if you have Showtime at which point you might as well just watch it there.

Hulu does have the original Evil Dead, but that's also leaving October 1.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

red19fire posted:

I think Netflix's licensing agreement means most of the major horror movies are gone for the month of October in the leadup to Halloween.

This kinda thing is why I still maintain a decent sized blu ray collection. I like the security of knowing all my favorite horror movies are available at a moments notice and I don't have to pay every time I want to watch them. Or if I get into a James Bond mood I just watch them all in a row without having to skip any because Netflix didn't get the rights to the middle three Roger Moore entries. If you have movie-OCD or are a completionist these situations come up more often than you'd think.

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

Sir Kodiak posted:

Night of the Living Dead... leaving October 1.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Night of the Living Dead, which is only available if you have Showtime

This is confusing to me because Night of the Living Dead is in the public domain. You can watch it on archive.org, dozens of YouTube channels, etc.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Nate405 posted:

This is confusing to me because Night of the Living Dead is in the public domain. You can watch it on archive.org, dozens of YouTube channels, etc.

Yeah, I should have mentioned that. I'd assume it got automatically listed as going away as part of the huge package of movies they're losing. Don't know if they'll re-add it based on it being public domain, not that it really matters.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I know why they do it, but holy gently caress does it piss me off that they take off horror movies in October. Fuckers

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Nate405 posted:

I don't know how that works with the different encodings of the movie though. In college my friend bought a bargain-bin copy while I splurged on a deluxe DVD. The picture quality difference was staggering. I would think the company that spent money restoring a print and carefully encoding it would have some control over it, otherwise everyone would just rip it and resell it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

i too am seriously put out by the $8/month instant streaming service I watch scores of hours of shows a month on, not always having all the movies I want all the time

and movies going down right before halloween season is par for the course

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I saw minority report was on netflix today so I decided to watch that since I was in a movie mood, and I'm a little conflicted on it. It felt like it just ran out of steam after a while and the movie was just running through the motions with the requisite twists and wrapping up in a neat bow after it reached its natural conclusion. I'd call it...frustratingly uncomplicated.

I did quite like the eye motif though, it pretty constantly is showing eyes in one form and I like how that feeds back into the film's subtext, but the actual meat of the movie just felt a little flat. What do yall think?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I think I like Minority Report with Gary Sinise better.. Where everybody decided he was a clone or some poo poo? Basically the same movie without the SmartGlass (tm) future-diving user interface.

But yeah in these modern times Minority Report was super formulaic despite the name cred because of PKD. But I kind of expect that from scientologist actors - thinking that a staid premise is somehow mind-blowing and unique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

With all the streaming services now and with Netflix seemingly focusing more on their originals (which often suck) Netflix is starting to feel like it's not a necessity. I find myself watching stuff on Hulu and Amazon more and more.