Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Yaws posted:

With all the streaming services now and with Netflix seemingly focusing more on their originals (which often suck) Netflix is starting to feel like it's not a necessity. I find myself watching stuff on Hulu and Amazon more and more.
LOL if you think the free movie streaming options on amazon prime are somehow comparable to netflix... I really like how amazon won't even tell you if a movie is available free or not until you try to watch it - they sneak a lot of "click here to pay" stuff into their "AMAZON PRIME FREE STREAMING" choices (and there are a really small number of free options.)

I mean if you think you're getting your money's worth I'd say that you ought to buy a kindle and keep prime for that, but for streaming? :laugh: not a chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

coyo7e posted:

LOL if you think the free movie streaming options on amazon prime are somehow comparable to netflix... I really like how amazon won't even tell you if a movie is available free or not until you try to watch it - they sneak a lot of "click here to pay" stuff into their "AMAZON PRIME FREE STREAMING" choices (and there are a really small number of free options.)

I mean if you think you're getting your money's worth I'd say that you ought to buy a kindle and keep prime for that, but for streaming? :laugh: not a chance

I just click on the little Prime icon on the side and all the videos that pop up are ones you can stream without paying. What are you talking about?

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Netflix still have a lot of stuff to offer movie-wise and who knows what kind of deals they'll strike up down the road, the big Disney one kicks in next year and they'll have exclusive rights to all the Disney/Marvel/Star Wars stuff.

I do like that Hulu is being persistent and getting some good poo poo, the Criterion Collection alone on Hulu is worth the monthly price.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

fliptophead posted:

What I liked about it was the single set piece - they never showed outside the complex. Like was mentioned, it felt like it was meant for the stage, but for me this wasn't a bad thing.

Seemed like a time travelish remake of Shallow Grave

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

cat doter posted:

I saw minority report was on netflix today so I decided to watch that since I was in a movie mood, and I'm a little conflicted on it. It felt like it just ran out of steam after a while and the movie was just running through the motions with the requisite twists and wrapping up in a neat bow after it reached its natural conclusion. I'd call it...frustratingly uncomplicated.

I did quite like the eye motif though, it pretty constantly is showing eyes in one form and I like how that feeds back into the film's subtext, but the actual meat of the movie just felt a little flat. What do yall think?

Did you consider that the ending may all have been a dream for Cruise? He gets locked in one of those tombs that cause you to hallucinate, right? I haven't watched the movie in years, but that was my take on it. Still not totally original, but a bit more intelligent than I expected.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Did you consider that the ending may all have been a dream for Cruise? He gets locked in one of those tombs that cause you to hallucinate, right? I haven't watched the movie in years, but that was my take on it. Still not totally original, but a bit more intelligent than I expected.

I'm trying to remember, is that similar to the ending of AI?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

coyo7e posted:

There's a banner covering like 1/4 of the cover on the free ones that says prime. Also, if you look in the Prime movies sections it doesn't list the ones you have to pay for. I never had this problem in 3 years of using prime.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Chichevache posted:

I did, but I dismissed it. There's not enough evidence to support that. I mean, what happens is what happens, we have the text and that's it. If we come up with alternative endings that aren't supported by the text, then we're essentially excusing the story mistakes the movie makes, at least in my opinion.

If you wanna say that's what happened sub-textually then go right ahead though.

I'd be more likely to think the stereotypically happy ending was a byproduct of test audiences or studio meddling.

edit: Caught Let the Right One In today too, and I feel like there's something really obvious about it that I'm missing and it's driving me nuts. Like that feeling when you're struggling to remember something that you definitely know you should remember.

It's a great low key movie otherwise, and I'm not sure why it gets classed as horror because it's really not, like at all. It's thematically really dense too, I'm probably gonna have to think on it a while because there's a million little scattered ideas I've got after seeing it.

cat doter fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 27, 2015

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

cat doter posted:

edit: Caught Let the Right One In today too, and I feel like there's something really obvious about it that I'm missing and it's driving me nuts. Like that feeling when you're struggling to remember something that you definitely know you should remember.

It's a great low key movie otherwise, and I'm not sure why it gets classed as horror because it's really not, like at all. It's thematically really dense too, I'm probably gonna have to think on it a while because there's a million little scattered ideas I've got after seeing it.

Is that the one that is exactly the same as a slightly older Russian horror flick? I'm picturing a young boy, and a young girl who's a vampire...

Edit: or is that exactly the movie I'm thinking it is?

Gerdalti fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 27, 2015

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Gerdalti posted:

Is that the one that is exactly the same as a slightly older Russian horror flick? I'm picturing a young boy, and a young girl who's a vampire...

Not sure what you mean, there's a swedish and an american version, called let the right one in and let me in respectively. I watched the swedish version.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Brainiac just went up a couple days ago. It's a Mexican horror film where a sorcerer executed by the Inquisition comes back 300 years later as a brain-sucking monster with a goat-like head, skull-piercing tongue, and weird tentacle hands.

It is hilariously cheap in some places (lots of scenes of people talking in front of giant photographs of backgrounds) but fairly entertaining.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'm watching The Grand Hotel, a Spanish drama series set in 1905. It's really good and it has a pretty crazy pace - every single episode introduces a lot of plot points and turns and twists between all the characters' agendas. The plot revolves around a low-social class man who tries to find out more about her sister's sudden disappeareance, who used to hold an important employee position in the hotel - and now everyone acts as if she had never existed.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

david_a posted:

The first episode was clearly the worst. Much too outlandish to be taken seriously, especially when you consider it's a stodgy British politician.

The first episode was not very outlandish if you have been reading the news lately.

Yaws posted:

I just click on the little Prime icon on the side and all the videos that pop up are ones you can stream without paying. What are you talking about?

Same.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

cat doter posted:

Not sure what you are getting toward, except maybe the "it's not a romantic boy/girl relationship, because the vampire is a castrated boy.. It's a buddy movie about friendship." Might that be it?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

The first episode was not very outlandish if you have been reading the news lately.

Pretty sure that was the joke.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Gerdalti posted:

Edit: or is that exactly the movie I'm thinking it is?
The original movie's Swedish, based on the book with the same name: "Låt den rätta komma in".

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm blind and beaten.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

That woosh noise you heard? That's wasn't the joke going over your head, that was the sonic boom from my hand hitting my forehead.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

coyo7e posted:

Not sure what you are getting toward, except maybe the "it's not a romantic boy/girl relationship, because the vampire is a castrated boy.. It's a buddy movie about friendship." Might that be it?

Not quite, I'd disagree with that anyway.

It's more to do with the nature of their relationship when it comes to violence, which is essentially what brought them together. I'm trying to figure out what the movie is saying there.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

cat doter posted:

Not quite, I'd disagree with that anyway.

It's more to do with the nature of their relationship when it comes to violence, which is essentially what brought them together. I'm trying to figure out what the movie is saying there.

It's been years since I've seen it but I remember getting the feeling that the little girl vampire was setting up the little boy to become her next caretaker, like that old guy who procured food for her and died. Everything about her was outwardly deceiving, instead of being a young girl she was in fact old as poo poo and not a girl. Whether it was on purpose or not, she was emotionally manipulating this impressionable little kid into becoming her lifelong slave.

I drew a comparison of the relationship depicted in this film as reminiscent of how real world pedophiles operate. They'll portray themselves to be just another kid at heart and then draw children in using their actualizing capabilities as an adult to solve their problems, take them places and buy them things. The child will often feel like the relationship is real and beautiful and mutually beneficial but the adult's intentions are more nefarious. They are essentially emotional vampires, drawing from the child's youthful energy to fill whatever real or imagined need they believe the child is fulfilling. Eventually, the child ages out and ceases to fulfill that need for the pedophile, whereupon they are tossed aside for another, younger companion.

Whatever comparison you choose to draw from this film, I believe it pretty objectively portrays an abusive relationship.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

speshl guy posted:

It's been years since I've seen it but I remember getting the feeling that the little girl vampire was setting up the little boy to become her next caretaker, like that old guy who procured food for her and died. Everything about her was outwardly deceiving, instead of being a young girl she was in fact old as poo poo and not a girl. Whether it was on purpose or not, she was emotionally manipulating this impressionable little kid into becoming her lifelong slave.

I drew a comparison of the relationship depicted in this film as reminiscent of how real world pedophiles operate. They'll portray themselves to be just another kid at heart and then draw children in using their actualizing capabilities as an adult to solve their problems, take them places and buy them things. The child will often feel like the relationship is real and beautiful and mutually beneficial but the adult's intentions are more nefarious. They are essentially emotional vampires, drawing from the child's youthful energy to fill whatever real or imagined need they believe the child is fulfilling. Eventually, the child ages out and ceases to fulfill that need for the pedophile, whereupon they are tossed aside for another, younger companion.

Whatever comparison you choose to draw from this film, I believe it pretty objectively portrays an abusive relationship.

That's exactly how I saw it...I thought it was pretty obvious that was the direction it was going.

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

Medullah posted:

That's exactly how I saw it...I thought it was pretty obvious that was the direction it was going.

In the follow-up story the author wrote, Eli turns Oskar into a vampire like her, and they disappear into Europe, leaving behind a photo booth picture of the two of them, taken many years after the events of the novel, showing them both happy and still 12 years old.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

speshl guy posted:

I'm not sure I agree, while the relationship is definitely not equal but Eli seems to pretty constantly give Oskar reasons to bail. He's always showing Oskar the things that are wrong with him, reminding him that he's not a girl, and there's a pretty genuine tenderness between that I believe is very intentionally shown by the director. Eli is at first drawn to Oskar because of his violent side, but there was always hesitation. Every time Oskar is shown one of these reasons, he moves past it and decides to keep pursuing Eli.

Emotional companionship is what Oskar values more than anything else and the gender of the person or even that the person is a literal monster doesn't seem to matter.

But then there's stuff like clear allusions to people being cattle for Eli due to the way they're strung up and killed exactly the way you do a pig, and Oskar's frustration at being called one. He intends to differentiate himself from other people, he is offended by being called this and seeks revenge for it. Oskar isn't cattle, and thus isn't consumed by Eli.

I think there's a lot of different ways you can interpret what's going on underneath in the film and that's really cool. I also like that it avoids easy answers and my frustration with it is in a way a positive frustration. It's a puzzle I want to figure out, which is probably a silly approach.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Wait Eli is a dude? loving woosh

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

Wait Eli is a dude? loving woosh

There is a weird scene where it shows a crotch scar for a second. I don't think it's discussed any more than that in the movie, but I believe in the book it goes into more detail about how he had his dick cut off at some point. I haven't read it though.

Edit: I do think there were some scenes where he is like "I'm not a girl" but it's supposed to trip you up like "yeah I know, you are a vampire".

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

There is a weird scene where it shows a crotch scar for a second. I don't think it's discussed any more than that in the movie, but I believe in the book it goes into more detail about how he had his dick cut off at some point. I haven't read it though.

Edit: I do think there were some scenes where he is like "I'm not a girl" but it's supposed to trip you up like "yeah I know, you are a vampire".

I kept thinking after he said "I'm not a girl" that ok maybe you're just a feminine looking boy, being 12 and all and having slightly more feminine features and longer hair, anyone could make that mistake, and the vampire stuff was mostly a red herring. When it showed that shot for a split second it just confirmed what I suspected.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I maintain that Let Me In is actually superior to Let the Right One In

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Apparently the acting in Let The Right One In is really bad (made worse by the really bad dubbing that they do fir Eli) but since most American fans don't speak Swedish they don't have any grounds to judge it on.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

precision posted:

I'll agree with this. Let the Right One In is too bloated. In the worst example of this it devotes about twenty minutes of screentime to a minor character's slow (and ultimately meaningless) transformation into a vampire. In general it seems too bogged down in the baggage of its source material. The removal of these scenes from Let Me In goes a long way towards making it a better film.

The more slavish adaptation is not always the superior. I'm typically not a fan of American remakes, but Let Me In is definitely the version I recommend.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Sleeveless posted:

Apparently the acting in Let The Right One In is really bad (made worse by the really bad dubbing that they do fir Eli) but since most American fans don't speak Swedish they don't have any grounds to judge it on.
Where did you get that from? I didn't remember anything standing out. Most Swedish reviews I've seen praised the two kids and especially Lina Leandersson.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

speshl guy posted:

Well the fact that you keep mentioning "little girl vampire" indicates that you missed out on some fairly serious plot points.

Let The Right One In was the happiest tragic ending that I've seen in a movie in a long time. But I guess I viewed it as more of a "Stand by Me" journey of children becoming friends despite differences, instead of how there has to be some kind of predatory/sexual relationship between a vampire and a human/ghoul. The little boy hated his life and was essentially doomed from all of his observations, then he found a friend who became his friend and protector (without any sexual/predatory innuendo, reinforced by the vampire being both a child and castrated or sexually non-threatening) and who then removes all of the angst and dangers from his life, and then it closes with them going on a trip in the most awful/happy scene ever. But hey, if you think making them a boy and girl makes things better then shine on crazy diamond.

It was like a vampire version of The Goonies. Vampires need people to care for them, just like people need friends. Everybody needs somebody to lean on.

quote:

When the night has come
And the land is dark
And the moon is the only light we'll see
No I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid
Just as long as you stand, stand by me
Not gonna spoiler a movie this old, sorry.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 28, 2015

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

coyo7e posted:

Not gonna spoiler a movie this old, sorry.

You were using spoiler tags for this movie yesterday.

I guess we could pretend you're not just being arbitrary and actually adopt this as some kind of metric. If it's 7 years, 3 months, and 28 days or less since domestic release, please use spoilers. Seven years, 3 months, and 29 days after domestic release, it's open season. Please update the OP.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

precision posted:

I agree with this 100%. I like them both but I think the Let me in gets poo poo on by nature of being a remake, but it's actually a better movie.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The author of Let The Right One In saw the relationship between Oskar and Eli as being good with her other caretaker just being a horrid pedophile and it being completely different. He sees the ending as them both living happily ever after. The book makes this quite clear and is pretty unpleasant because of it. The original movie can be taken his way or the darker way (though I think he's said he still doesn't see it that way) while the American version adds scenes that explicitly go for the darker reading.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
HACKERS is on Netflix. Not sure if this is a recent development. If you haven't watched it, you're in for a treat of ridiculous early 90's cyberpunk fun. Also I think Angelina Jolie shows her breasts, if you're into that kinda thing. The point is, you will be entertained.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sarchasm posted:

I'll agree with this. Let the Right One In is too bloated. In the worst example of this it devotes about twenty minutes of screentime to a minor character's slow (and ultimately meaningless) transformation into a vampire. In general it seems too bogged down in the baggage of its source material. The removal of these scenes from Let Me In goes a long way towards making it a better film.

The more slavish adaptation is not always the superior. I'm typically not a fan of American remakes, but Let Me In is definitely the version I recommend.

They actually did change the weirdest part of the book, which is that when Eli drank the old caretaker's blood, it turned him into a vampire monster and it turns out that dude's a pedophile and went out to go gently caress Eli or something.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

This is loving bizarre. Yesterday i randomly remembered the last time this thread had this very discussion and went hunting for this scene, only to realize as i scanned through that i had forgotten like 90% of this movie. How far in is it?

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

Inspector Hound posted:

This is loving bizarre. Yesterday i randomly remembered the last time this thread had this very discussion and went hunting for this scene, only to realize as i scanned through that i had forgotten like 90% of this movie. How far in is it?

It's after the scene where Eli starts bleeding from everywhere because Oskar won't give her permission to come in. Eli takes a shower after that and you see it when s/he is drying off, because the door is partly open and I think Oskar sneaks a peek.

I like the American version okay, but explicitly going for the "darker" interpretation that isn't at all in the book is a huge strike against it imo. And I could have done with the part involving the caretaker's (Hakan's) life after having his spinal cord mostly severed being included, but I may be alone in that, and I think it probably would have made the movie too long for most people.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

The happy ending is far more interesting, IMO. I never dug the darker reading because it seems less challenging.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Sarchasm posted:

You were using spoiler tags for this movie yesterday.
Tomorrow is another day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nroo posted:

The happy ending is far more interesting, IMO. I never dug the darker reading because it seems less challenging.

I honestly thought the ending in Let Me In was a happy ending. :confused: