Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bugger they got screwed around over the Gas Monkey challenge :(

I notice the General Mayhem suffers from the door latch issue my old Falcon ute used to have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CharlesM posted:

You told us you worked at Apple but not at the Apple store :v:

I love my Lumia 1020 and am looking forward to the Microsoft event next month.

No, I said I don't work with customers, and usually I don't except for launches lol

If I worked for not Apple Store I wouldn't live in Detroit :)

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I am seriously considering quitting this bullshit part time retail job. Selling auto parts just doesn't seem worth my time any more.

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

:suezo:

The bastard sold the e2200 van I was after, but only after giving me the go-ahead to fork out on the (non refundable) train tickets to get myself halfway across the country to get it. :argh:

Back to searching for another one that isn't a rusty piece of poo poo!

blk
Dec 19, 2009

T1g4h posted:

The Windows phone OS is super slick and fast and I dig how everything looks. Am I a terrible person now for being one of those lame Windows phone users? :v:

I love WP and the Lumia hardware, even though I'm not supposed to because I am a Design Professional who is supposed to fetishize Apple products. WP is let down by forcing you to use Bing and Bing maps. The UI is great and a lot more efficient than iOS. Cortana is the best virtual assistant between the 3 platforms.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Nokia makes good phones. I wish they would make an Android phone.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

mariooncrack posted:

Nokia makes good phones. I wish they would make an Android phone.

You can run android apps on windows phone 10 on the higher end lumias. best of both worlds :)

Now If only someone could make windows phone 10 use google maps and google search rather than bing it would be much better.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah Bing/HERE sucks (oh you want to get to this business? Ok I'll take you to the location that was demolished in 2010, or take you to vaguely where you need to be and then not tell you the actual address so you can find it). But the you're speeding chime is handy.
IE also blows, if it runs into a page with a script it doesn't like it'll make the phone entirely unresponsive and after you pull the battery and reboot as soon as you open it again it goes right back to the last viewed page and chokes on it again. I've also managed to get a mild malware infection with it in the form of a MyFreeShoppingBuddy overlay.
Design wise my main issue is a lack of IP5x-rated hardware, it isn't much fun taking the phone apart weekly to clean the iron filings and dust out.
Other than all that it's a great platform and I strongly prefer it to my old galaxy rugby.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

The bastard sold the e2200 van I was after, but only after giving me the go-ahead to fork out on the (non refundable) train tickets to get myself halfway across the country to get it. :argh:

Back to searching for another one that isn't a rusty piece of poo poo!

People are lovely assholes.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Dropped my swanky new phone (dual SIM 3rd gen moto g) 5 feet into cronky concrete.

Slight scratch on the frame, I'm kind of relieved it's damaged now, I'll be less precious about it.

I'm helping my in-laws clear the old house, cordless sawzall is the correct tool for the garden clearance every time. Tree? Saw. Shed? Saw. Garden furniture? Saw.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Assume you won't make your money back when you go to flip it. At best you'll get your expenses covered, and you have to do things on the mega-cheap and deal with the car clogging up your poo poo for months. Still worth it?

Nope. I figured I'd take a pass. They want a 1000 for it. I just feel like I'd be opening a giant rabbit hole the minute I took the turbo off it. I looked up the kbb value and its only going for 1500. I figured even talking them down to 500, with parts I'm going to barely break even.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So AI computer nerds I'm looking into getting a laptop for notes and solidworks while i'm in class. Is there any reason not to get a refurbished unit off ebay?

I asked in SHSC but the signal to noise ratio seems pretty low for how slow the thread moves.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Enourmo posted:

So AI computer nerds I'm looking into getting a laptop for notes and solidworks while i'm in class. Is there any reason not to get a refurbished unit off ebay?

I asked in SHSC but the signal to noise ratio seems pretty low for how slow the thread moves.

Buying anything over $100 on eBay makes me nervous these days. I've had P-P-Powerbook-esque experiences both buying and selling in the last 24 months.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I got a badass (for me) Dell Latitude laptop with an SSD, refurb, for $350 off amazon.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Enourmo posted:

Don't buy anything off of eBay, look on SA Mart or check craigslist and ask to meet at a police station to make the hand off

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Aaaand just like that the question becomes moot because for tax/finance reasons my mom wants me to put it on her credit card which pretty much means buying new if I'm avoiding ebay.

At least my budget's a little wider than I thought, up to $1k!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Brit goons: A guy mentioned to me that he has a 1500 Spitfire and a late-80s Mini he was thinking about selling, anyone want me to get details off him? I have no idea about condition, price etc at this point.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I'd love an original mini. To bad I don't live in the UK.

Any Brit goons keep an eye on the salvage yards? I need a set of surrounds for my headlamps on my jjjjaaaggg

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Brit goons: A guy mentioned to me that he has a 1500 Spitfire and a late-80s Mini he was thinking about selling, anyone want me to get details off him? I have no idea about condition, price etc at this point.

gently caress yes.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hot drat, that looks like a sick deal.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Why are 1600x900 displays still a thing :shrug:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Enourmo posted:

Hot drat, that looks like a sick deal.

Bear in mind the touchpad on the 440/540 series is loving awful.

CommieGIR posted:

Why are 1600x900 displays still a thing :shrug:

Because its a pretty good middle ground between awful 1366x768 displays and 1080p with program-breaking DPI turned up

Proud Christian Mom fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 26, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

go3 posted:

Bear in mind the touchpad on the 440/540 series is loving awful.

Good thing I plan to get a mouse, then. :v:

Also I think my desktop mouse is dying, it keeps somehow doubleclicking when i only press the button once.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Enourmo posted:

I know you're looking new now, but I got a refurbed X1 that had an intermittent trackpoint. The seller's rep was very high, but he still hassled me a shitload before he sent a return slip and then replacement. The replacement has been fine, at least.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Has anyone used something like swapalease? I had never heard of it before today and I am interested in the concept. I want to get a Volt, but I am afraid to buy the current ones because the 2017 might make enormous leaps. I really wish I could "rent a Volt" for a year. A guy had one on craigslist to take over the lease but his lease was like 349 a month but I liked the idea. Anyway, I found swapalease and saw this

http://www.swapalease.com/lease/details/2013-Chevrolet-Volt.aspx?salid=925207

Being able to get a car for 175 a month for a year would be tremendous. How does this work? Can I get screwed somehow? I look at this as 2k to buy a year to figure out what I want plus I get to drive a car I really like. The gas savings over my WRX almost pay for the drat lease hah!

note: I have never leased a car. Every car I have ever bought has been, to quote the great Randy Moss, "straight cash homey" so maybe I am asking a dumb question here.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I'd love an original mini. To bad I don't live in the UK.

Any Brit goons keep an eye on the salvage yards? I need a set of surrounds for my headlamps on my jjjjaaaggg
It is old enough to meet the US import regs, as it's a 30th anniversary one, so 1989.

EDIT: You've got an XJ, yeah? What year is it?

Cakefool posted:

gently caress yes.
I'll see if I can get info off him in the near future and pass it on to you.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 26, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It is really amazing what driving that Miata does for my mood. I feel so much better today (despite being exhausted).

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

It is old enough to meet the US import regs, as it's a 30th anniversary one, so 1989.

Please, a reasonably priced mini or a 1500 that isn't a rolling collection of 50 years of previous owner bodges would be fantastic.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

InitialDave posted:

Yes - 1978 XJ-S

It has the one piece unit on it right now, but I am actually looking for the quad headlamps. I am pretty sure the ones I have now are from a later model. I think XJ6 headlamps fit, but I am not 100% sure.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Rhyno posted:

It is really amazing what driving that Miata does for my mood. I feel so much better today (despite being exhausted).

This is why I have a bike.

My 60 mile ride yesterday (mandatory command ride for work) turned into a hair over 300 miles by myself when I was done, just to unwind. Great mix of curvy mountain roads, and just wide open desert roads.

It's unreal to cruise at totally legal I promise speeds for thirty minutes and see...nothing. aside from one border patrol truck.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

Please, a reasonably priced mini or a 1500 that isn't a rolling collection of 50 years of previous owner bodges would be fantastic.
Ok, I'll let you know what's up.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Yes - 1978 XJ-S

It has the one piece unit on it right now, but I am actually looking for the quad headlamps. I am pretty sure the ones I have now are from a later model. I think XJ6 headlamps fit, but I am not 100% sure.
Well, you may be best to source the quad lamps in the US - a set from over here would dip the wrong way. As to whether XJ6 stuff would work, I have no idea.

Speaking of old British vehicles, I finished swapping the suspension on the Landie today, and am very glad I bought new U-bolts (though the old ones wouldn't have fitted the new springs anyway):

:ohdear:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

go3 posted:

Because its a pretty good middle ground between awful 1366x768 displays and 1080p with program-breaking DPI turned up

I can't do any lower than 1680x1050. Bothers my eyes now.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

Ok, I'll let you know what's up.

Speaking of old British vehicles, I finished swapping the suspension on the Landie today, and am very glad I bought new U-bolts (though the old ones wouldn't have fitted the new springs anyway):

:ohdear:

You actually undid the old ones? I thought everybody just cut them off (or smacked the weak spindly bit a few times with special tool no. 1)

If jaaaags are like saabs - for BrokenKnucklez, he will just need all the bracketry surrounding the quad lights and can then just fit the US spec dipping light units as I think they are a standard diameter light.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Tomarse posted:

If jaaaags are like saabs - for BrokenKnucklez, he will just need all the bracketry surrounding the quad lights and can then just fit the US spec dipping light units as I think they are a standard diameter light.

Mine has the later model headlamps. I did some checking around and it looks like up till late 80s/early 90s they did quad headlamps. After that it was switched to the plastic cover and then a surround. I either need to find the bezels or go quad lamps.

I need to do more research, but I am hoping brit goons may have better access to these small random parts.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

You actually undid the old ones? I thought everybody just cut them off (or smacked the weak spindly bit a few times with special tool no. 1)
They actually came off alright, despite how rusty they looked. Rear brake pipe brackets were inevitably corroded away to dust, so I had the weld up some new ones. Previously, the (probably original) rubber mounts for the pipe were just zip-tied in place, cheap fuckers. An entire axle set of new clips is like two quid!

Just need to re-do some of the PO's electrical nonsense and in theory it's ready for an MOT.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

Ohhhhhhh meatpimp myyyyyyyyyyyy meatpimp the meatiest of pimps

Pimp yo meat girl yes you know whatcha gotta do pimp dat meat girl meatpimp of my heart

What'd I do with my time off?

Adiabatic posted:

Hahahaha some rear end in a top hat has been stealing poo poo from that crusty shed the past two days.

Too bad the neighbor has a deer camera behind my yard with about 15 clear HD pictures of the dude's face.

:wink:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
If one more cocksucker gets me out of my nice warm bed on a weekend to drive across the city to go look at his loving piece of poo poo discontinued-parts commuter car with fist-sized rust holes in the rear quarter he conveniently forgot to mention I'm just going to tear his heart out in front of him and make him watch as it slowly stops beating jesus loving christ I will end you.

I will end your family.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Just got the weirdest call ever. Some angry older sounding guy calls me and starts accusing me of stealing his wifi. Goes on a rant, starts yelling "how did you get my password! Are you a hacker!?" Then he says he "traced my ip" and got my number.

Hung up on him partway through the crazy, guessing he googled something weird and found a string of numbers that resembled my phone number? Was really weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Bajaha posted:

Just got the weirdest call ever. Some angry older sounding guy calls me and starts accusing me of stealing his wifi. Goes on a rant, starts yelling "how did you get my password! Are you a hacker!?" Then he says he "traced my ip" and got my number.

Hung up on him partway through the crazy, guessing he googled something weird and found a string of numbers that resembled my phone number? Was really weird.

https://youtu.be/hkDD03yeLnU

• Locked thread