Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Let's have some newish Harriet photos for the thread.
Harriet surveying her domain from my couch.

Harriet increasing her education by being a well read bunny (Long story short, she jumped outta my arms and landed on the bookcase when I was trying ot get her in the cage)

Foolish Rebels, now you face the power of the Dark Bun of Sith!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

When I am not near my rabbits, I like to make gifs of them http://gfycat.com/FrequentCalmCirriped

Dr. Shockwave
Dec 12, 2012

So last year my wife bought two rabbits. I think she bought them because the Pet Store told her that she couldn't come back anymore unless she bought something.

So she bought rabbits. They were kept in the same cage and the pet store told her that they had never had babies so they never would! Cue six weeks later and we now have 4 rabbits.

We've had these 4 rabbits for a year and a half. She thought she could keep them outside, but they try to die when its 100 degree weather outside apparently.

These rabbits now each have their own cage, and live inside our house. We have a terrir and a rotweiller just waiting for the rabbits to get out so they can get a snack.

My wife realizes she did a dumb thing, but how do we get out of this rabbit situation without sending these rabbits to their doom (food, out into the wild)?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Look up the nearest animal shelter or animal rescue. There are even some Rabbit specific ones too.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Dr. Shockwave posted:

So last year my wife bought two rabbits. I think she bought them because the Pet Store told her that she couldn't come back anymore unless she bought something.

So she bought rabbits. They were kept in the same cage and the pet store told her that they had never had babies so they never would! Cue six weeks later and we now have 4 rabbits.

We've had these 4 rabbits for a year and a half. She thought she could keep them outside, but they try to die when its 100 degree weather outside apparently.

These rabbits now each have their own cage, and live inside our house. We have a terrir and a rotweiller just waiting for the rabbits to get out so they can get a snack.

My wife realizes she did a dumb thing, but how do we get out of this rabbit situation without sending these rabbits to their doom (food, out into the wild)?

Plenty of rabbit rescues and shelters. Preferably no kill. You seem to realize your mistake so I won't rant on how rabbits aren't supposed to be kept in cages all the time.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Most animal shelters/humane societies are set up to take rabbits, and should be able to get them the care (spaying and neutering!) that they need.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
We are getting us some baby rabbits tomorrow from someone my wife met during her vet tech school. We have a two story big pen for them and plenty of toys. They are dwarf rabbits so they are kind of small. We also have two cats, how long should we have supervised play before we don't have to pay so much attention to them being out of their pen? We also have a bearded dragon, but when he is out we keep an eye on the cats and him since they like to chase each other sometimes and don't want it to get out of hand since Big Alligator sometimes think he's an alligator.

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Acnamino MR 100mg Capsules
I would always supervise play. Rabbits can literally just fall over and die if they see a cat coming. My cat never had any problems with the rabbits. In fact, I think I have some nice photos of Harvey curling up with them, but this was always, always supervised.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Baby rabbits would be particularly prone to needing to be supervised. A full grown rabbit is a little more likely to be okay to establish it's own boundaries with a cat or other animal its relative size. Note that with dwarf rabbits there's also a fair chance of them being pretty territorial and aggressive with people and other animals, a bit more so than with some other rabbit breeds. You'll definitely want to have a plan in mind for when you can get them spayed/neutered (I'm hoping/assuming they're definitely the same sex) as soon as they're old enough, it makes a large behavioral difference and you'll have much more chill and healthier bunnies ultimately.

Also, if you don't have experience or haven't been tipped off already, go ahead and do some research on bunnyproofing a room/house now for their runaround time. Young and unfixed bunnies can be particularly destructive depending on the flavor of cords/furniture/carpet/books/shoes they enjoy.

The337th fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 10, 2015

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Our 18 month old is warming up to Cilantro. Cilantro gives no fucks.

Petting Cilantro during breakfast.

Giving her his blanket.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Awwww Adorable! Cilantro is the best bunny.

Meanwhile, Harriet only emerged from her silk to run out and knock over the xwing minis game in process. She really hates b-wings aparently.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Awwww Adorable! Cilantro is the best bunny.

Meanwhile, Harriet only emerged from her silk to run out and knock over the xwing minis game in process. She really hates b-wings aparently.
She altered the deal. Pray she does not alter it further.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Pepper, who is not having a good year, got stepped on last night by my husband. She's been limping, so I took her to the vet today.

Two x rays later she's been declared fine, except for a hell of a sprain. She has metacam, so she should be pretty [strike]stoned[/strike] happy for a week.

The vet discovered in the x ray that Pepper is missing a rib. It's benign, she was probably born that way. I think that's cool, actually.

EDIT: Enjoy this picture of Pepper at the vet. She's not happy. They picked her up, looked at her legs, and then DARED to give her the apple pie treats instead of the banana ones.

Bean fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 20, 2015

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Maybe Pepper has a 2nd bunny running around cloned from that rib.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Bean posted:

Pepper, who is not having a good year, got stepped on last night by my husband. She's been limping, so I took her to the vet today.

Two x rays later she's been declared fine, except for a hell of a sprain. She has metacam, so she should be pretty [strike]stoned[/strike] happy for a week.

The vet discovered in the x ray that Pepper is missing a rib. It's benign, she was probably born that way. I think that's cool, actually.

EDIT: Enjoy this picture of Pepper at the vet. She's not happy. They picked her up, looked at her legs, and then DARED to give her the apple pie treats instead of the banana ones.

I want to snuggle this living chalk drawing bunkin.

:3

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

We have two 4-year-old cats, littermates Leo (12.5 lbs) and CJ (8.5 lbs). There was an Australian Shepherd in the house when they were kittens but they've been the only animals for a few years now.

A prospective roommate has a house bunny who is very friendly, and we're trying to make sure everyone gets along. They had their first play date tonight for about an hour and a half, and CJ seemed to warm up to the bunny. Leo started off very suspicious but eventually seemed to tolerate the bunny's presence, though he would still defensively hiss if we tried to move him too close.

Is there anything we should know as we continue the introduction process?

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-11/cats-and-rabbits.html

That probably says more than I could in a post, but so long as the cats are fairly chill and the bunny isn't a super territorial jerk you can probably have a peaceful coexistence by continuing to ease them into it. Also there's probably one of the top 10 best bunny .gifs at the bottom of that page, so you're welcome.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So Harriet, dark bun of the sith, is having her yearly vet checkup tomorrow, and as such, needed a wee bit of a manicure tonight

She was not happy.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I don't wish to alarm you but the feather duster in your picture seems to have grown a very angry looking set of eyes.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Not exactly a house bunny for long, but Antonio Bunderes is our new project buck at the farm. He's living inside for a few months to get big and strong, as well as socialized. We hope to teach sustainable and ethical rabbit-rearing classes soon! First we gotta really perfect it on our end though. He's a happy boy in his big 'vintage' cage with lots of hay to muss around in and daily run-abouts around the house with the day-care kids. In a few months or so he'll be out in the big run with his new girlfriends.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
any recommendations for a good harness?

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I've held off for a while posting about this but my rabbit passed away 3 weeks ago tonight.

She was a Lionhead who was nearly 7 years old and she had been a bit lazier than usual for a couple of months before she died and her appetite was a bit up and down so i brought her to her vet and he basically told me that there was nothing wrong with her but it was more than likely just coming close to her time because he personally hadn't seen any of her breed that had lived past 8 years so he recommended that i value the time i had left with her. She went peacefully in her sleep a couple of weeks later.

I buried her in the backyard because i couldn't face having to bring her some place to be cremated. I'm not even sort of getting over it because it's changed my life an awful lot because i'm sort of a lonely guy anyway and she was my only real company. I still keep going upstairs and forgetting that she isn't in her room any more.

Worst thing is that i'm starting to forget what she looked like because i have really poor visual memory. I have pictures but it isn't the same as seeing her hopping about and having fun going nuts for her treats and stuff.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I'm sorry to hear that, I offer my condolences, and one lionhead owner to another.

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
As another lionhead owner, you have my condolences as well.

That said, Flopsy died 2 weeks ago. He managed to knock over a trash can that had bacon grease in it and ate it all overnight, while we were asleep. Got a bad case of diarrhea. We woke up to giant puddles of poo poo scattered around the house but he was eating and drinking fine for the entire week immediately afterwards. So I thought he was fine. I still should've taken him to a vet. Then the very day they ran out of hay, a few hours after I started work, I got a call from my SO telling me to come home because he was dying and we needed to get him to a vet asap. I didn't make it in time. It was pay day and I was planning on getting them food as soon as I cashed my check. So his death is entirely on me and I feel like absolute poo poo about it.

I still see him out of the corner of my eye sometimes. Sitting in front of the fridge waiting for veggies. :(

Silverfish
May 23, 2005
graaaaaaaagh
I'm so sorry to hear about your buns who have passed away. It's nice to know they had such good lives, and were happy and looked after.

I have a question for everyone with free-range house buns - I'm buying my own house soon (I'm renting at the moment) and I'm not entirely sure what to do with my two buns. They're currently indoors, in the main bathroom upstairs (not used) I carpeted it and bunproofed it, I covered the bath so they have their bun teepees up there, and their bun tunnels etc on the floor. They get out in the garden when the weather is good, but in winter they stay indoors.

The house I'm looking at has a lovely secure wooden garden shed, insulated and much bigger than the room they're in at the moment, and a nice secure garden for general bunnying about. I was wondering is it ok to keep them in the shed? I'm in Ireland so it's not cold cold, I'd carpet it and make sure its entirely bunproof. Would this be okay, or would I be better looking for a house where I can have them inside?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Silverfish posted:

I'm so sorry to hear about your buns who have passed away. It's nice to know they had such good lives, and were happy and looked after.

I have a question for everyone with free-range house buns - I'm buying my own house soon (I'm renting at the moment) and I'm not entirely sure what to do with my two buns. They're currently indoors, in the main bathroom upstairs (not used) I carpeted it and bunproofed it, I covered the bath so they have their bun teepees up there, and their bun tunnels etc on the floor. They get out in the garden when the weather is good, but in winter they stay indoors.

The house I'm looking at has a lovely secure wooden garden shed, insulated and much bigger than the room they're in at the moment, and a nice secure garden for general bunnying about. I was wondering is it ok to keep them in the shed? I'm in Ireland so it's not cold cold, I'd carpet it and make sure its entirely bunproof. Would this be okay, or would I be better looking for a house where I can have them inside?
I assume your rabbits would prefer to be in the house with you, because they're bonded to you. But in terms of safety it should be fine, unless something can get in there or there's old chemicals in there or something.

Silverfish
May 23, 2005
graaaaaaaagh

FactsAreUseless posted:

I assume your rabbits would prefer to be in the house with you, because they're bonded to you. But in terms of safety it should be fine, unless something can get in there or there's old chemicals in there or something.

No, its completely secure, nothings getting in or out :)

They're not really bonded to me, they're both rescues - Ms. Bun was found wandering around a housing estate and was in terrible condition, and Mr Bun was kept in a tiny cage with no human contact, so they're not too into humans getting into their space. Ms Bun will allow a small amount of pets and headrubs, but Mr Bun will tolerate NO petting or touching, he will do a quick noseboop of greeting and thats all!
It took about 6 months before they bonded with each other, and once they were, Ms Bun was a lot less tolerant of me :(
Basically I am food bringer and vet care provider. I plan on bunproofing the house as much as possible either way so they will probably only be in the shed overnight / while I'm at work, the rest of the time they can hang out with their provider of opposable thumbs :(

The hoppy couple:

Silverfish fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 26, 2015

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

....When did the title change? Also, can we all agree whose feather duster has the angriest eyes

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
Bringers of food and havers of opposable thumbs are literally all we are to bunnies.

Dust mop/Feather duster with angriest eyes probably goes to Harriet by default. Simbas more of a confused feather duster.

Horatio TB irdbath
Mar 13, 2012

(^-^*) DREAMY MAN (*^-^)
Hi fellow havers of floofy thumpers, I have a couple of questions if anyone is able to help out.

Back story: I collected a big female pile of fluff (I have called her Roy) today from a girl who clearly loved her but also did not know how to properly care for her - the hutch was bare except for a water and food dish and a whole lot of poops and wees everywhere. I purchased hay, a water drip bottle, mineral licks, hay manger, treats, toys, -"decorative" hay which claims that bunbun will enjoy decorating her hutch with- and dry shampoo (shampoo because she smelt so gross, but appears to have cleaned herself up and doesn't smell any more... supreme grooming skills!!). Roy is very aggressive and makes a lot of grunting and squeaking sounds and charges with the intention of biting when I put my hand in her cage, touch any of her things or I try to approach her.

She is apparently 10 months old and if this is true she appears to be quite a big girl. My mug for scale:

Her hutch now, which she has rampaged through and thrown stuff around in:

I also noticed with her poops that they are well formed little balls but there was a small amount of what appeared to be runny poop with it as well.

More pics of her royal floofness:

Questions:

Can anyone provide any insight into why Roy is so aggressive and what those noises are all about? How can I stop this?
Does anyone know what kind of rabbit she is likely to be from looking at pictures? and based on that how much bigger is she likely to get if she is in fact only 10 months old?
Should I be concerned about her poops today?
Is her hutch set up ok?
How do I toilet train her?
How do I prevent her from burrowing/digging in the garden?

Her hutch is only for when I am at work and for sleeping, the rest of the time I intend to let the floof roam free......if I can get her out of the hutch with out losing some flesh!!

Thanks in advance, all tips, tricks and advice very welcome :)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A few responses:

You shouldn't give rabbits salt or mineral licks. She'll also be happier with a covered area in her cage, like a wood covering or a small house. I don't recommend covering the floor in hay/wood/whatever, try to give her clean space to lay down in, and then keep the hay in a dispenser.

As for litter training, rabbits will pretty much train themselves. Rabbits will generally pee in one spot, they like to be tidy. Find out where she goes to the bathroom, and put a litter box there in her cage (and maybe another one elsewhere in the house if she's going somewhere else a lot). Don't be surprised if she poops all over your house - it's one way they mark territory. That will calm down once she decides the space is hers. Being spayed will also help.

Otherwise you're doing fine. It looks like you're giving her plenty of space to get out and run, and that's important. People make a lot of the same mistakes when they have their first rabbit.

Is she spayed? Rabbits are very territorial, and they take a while to adjust to a new space. Grunting just indicates annoyance, but the charging and biting are stress - she doesn't want you in her space. If she's not spayed it will be worse, since she'll be more aggressive/territorial/fight for dominance more. But not having a covered space in her cage is part of it, since it makes her feel exposed and therefore more stressed. How aggressive is she with you outside of the cage? If you haven't had her very long, just be more careful about approaching her space. It will take her a while to adjust to you and her new home.

The "runny poops" are caecals, that's normal. Rabbits eat them to process all the nutrients in their food.

I don't know a thing about keeping a rabbit in a garden, mine were all indoors-only. I can't tell, but it seems like her cage is outside (? Is that an outdoor couch?) Be careful about heat and sun if it is, rabbits are susceptible to heatstroke. This also makes a covered area a lot more important.

She looks like some sort of lop mix. I had a Holland Lop/Mini Rex mix that held his ears that way. She's probably full-size. From the pictures she also looks active and inquisitive about her new space. Is she grooming herself regularly? If she's exploring her space and keeping herself clean, those are good signs that she's handling any stress/depression.

Horatio TB irdbath
Mar 13, 2012

(^-^*) DREAMY MAN (*^-^)
Thanks for your feed back!

She is grooming herself regularly and is very inquisitive. I had her outside for a brief period today which is where you see her on the red couch but her hutch is inside in the cool air con as it is nearly summer here in Aus and is already in the mid 30's.

Outside of her cage she was more willing to let me pat her and she even climbed up onto my lap for a snootle around but she seems more than happy to let my 7 Y/o daughter put her hands all up in her grill whenever she pleases. I am unsure if she is spayed, I will contact the girl I got her from in order to find out.

The bottom of her hutch is just a hard plastic; should I be providing her with some sort of bedding? I intend to purchase her a new hutch that has the covered house bit in a couple of weeks. This is the one she came with, can I just cover part of it with a sheet to give her a sense of security in the mean time?

I will take the mineral licks out, I didn't realise that it's not good for her (the pack says bunbuns as well as other rodents).

I did only get her about 15 hours ago so I will probably be back again soon with more questions and to check that I'm doing the right things. I also intend to take her to the vet for a check up in the next few days.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It sounds like she's adjusting really quickly, most rabbits I've met wouldn't be that friendly and comfortable that fast. And she's comfortable around your kid, and rabbits and children don't always mix well, so it sounds like you're doing great. She'll get used to having you around her cage after a while.

Hard plastic is fine as long as she isn't having trouble walking around on it. You can always put a towel or something down, plus she'll enjoy digging on it. But plastic is better than wire, it shouldn't be hard on her feet. And yeah, any kind of covering in the meantime will help a lot. If you have cardboard boxes around, set them up around the house as little houses or tunnels, she'll love them.

If she's not spayed, it's very important that you get her spayed. Unspayed female rabbits that aren't bred will develop uterine cancer.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Don't stick your hand in her cage unless you're giving her food or water or are in the midst of cleaning. Rabbits need a safe place to retreat to feel comfortable so it's not at all surprising that she's aggressive if you try and invade that space.

Horatio TB irdbath
Mar 13, 2012

(^-^*) DREAMY MAN (*^-^)
Roy and I had a much better day today and she still seems to prefer my daughter over me. :colbert: However Roy did let me hold her on my lap for a few minutes then promptly hopped off and went and peed on the end of my bed. Nice one Roy.

I made a little set up for her today as she still doesn't voluntarily come out of her cage, so I am trying to encourage her. As you can see I have floorboards and I'm not sure how buns feel about them so I put a mat at the front of her door and I put her hay manger and favorite toy out there along with a box with a towel in it.

I took her outside again for a bit today and she likes to stay on the red couch of which she has claimed half and quickly let me know this when I went to sit down on what is now her side.

Here she is on her side with a bit of salad.

She has a water bowl as well as a drip bottle because I read last night that they can't get enough water out of the drip bottles and can end up dying of dehydration. Is this true.?
I have noticed that she always seems to have one pellet of poop in her dish regardless of when I have cleaned the bowl or where I have moved it and then she drinks out of it. How bad is this for her?

I can't wait for her to fell comfortable enough to come out of her hutch and run around as she is very active inside it. She loves Brussel sprouts and corriander. She hates the bloody decorative 'hay' that claimed bun would love it so much and decorate her hutch with lol.

Thanks for all the advice so far! I am most appreciative :love:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I've never heard the drip bottle thing, and I've never known anyone to have an issue. Maybe if you used a tiny little hamster bottle or something.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I would definitely get some carefresh bedding for her to lie down and bathroom on in her cage. Also that hay doesnt look like timothy. A buns diet should be ideally about 80 percent hay, 15 pellets and 5 greens. Make sure you are giving her timothy hay, not straw or alfalfa hay. Also dont be too forceful about pets or holding her. The best way to get in with a bun is to just sit or lie on the ground and let them approach you on their own. If they settle down next to you they are up for some petting.

Get some mats and or blocks made of timothy for her to get her chewing instinct out on. For food get pellets with as little added sugars etc as possible. If you can get oxbow in aus it is a good choice, the organic variety is even better. For treats they go crazy for dried fruit, just be sure to give tiny tiny amounts. One dried apricot is like 40 small pieces.

For maintenance its just brushing and nail clipping.

Enjoy having a bun they are just the best.

Silverfish
May 23, 2005
graaaaaaaagh
Roy is exactly like my Mrs Bun!

She's lovely and calm but can be pretty feisty if she thinks something isnt exactly how she wants it, or up to her standards, lots of foot stamping and headbutts. She only started grunting and growling when I got Mr Bun, as he's a bit slow to learn, so she gets a bit cranky with him :/

When I first got her, she'd been a stray showing signs of long-term neglect, and it took her a long time to trust me and allow head rubs and pets. I just let her get comfortable, and waited til she came to me rather than getting in her space. I found having treats ( a banana chip, a raisin, or a tiny piece of carrot) in my pocket or hand really helped with her approaching me.

You're best to get her spayed as soon as possible, and get her a bun buddy as well, though bonding can take a very long time - it took 3 months before she had the patience for Mr Bun, who is a terrible bun whirlwind of disaster.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Just remember, keep Roy away from firearms

(She took all my spinach)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horatio TB irdbath
Mar 13, 2012

(^-^*) DREAMY MAN (*^-^)
Your bunnies are adorable!! I contacted the previous owner and turns out she isn't spayed so I will be getting onto that in the next week because I want this floof to have a long and happy life with me and my daughter.

Thanks for the tip about the dried fruit treats, I will give that a go as I casually lie in front of her cage trying to appear nonchalant and secretly begging for her attention on the inside ha!

Roy finally came out of her cage. I woke up this morning to to the sounds of bunny mayem :3

Here she is with her breakfast!