Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Now that you'll be able to actually launch smaller ships and the orca is supposed to be a passenger ship, it should be the ship that specializes in a huge number of stored ships. It's a big dumb elephant surrounded by angry, tiny bees.
I hope you can turn a Type-9 into a ersatz carrier. I'd be pretty down for that honestly; I want an excuse to fly a Type-9 into combat cause it sounds like a space B-17.

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

Insert name here posted:

I hope that with multicrew + fighters meaning that people can fly fighters off your deck, you can be a giant dickhole to your fighter pilots by manuvering wildly when they're attempting to land

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGNdTY4vsHU&t=195s

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Dante80 posted:

Here is how it goes.

You get a Cobra IV if you pre-order horizons (or have an expansion pass/premium beta + status). You will have to pay for it.
This is bad because it puts non cosmetic content behind an additional paywall. But then again, thats the whole point of the season thingy (there is not much they can do btw, other than selling power or moving to subscriptions).

If you are eligible for a free ship (as promised to those that bought beta+), you will get the ViperMk IV for free in a hangar somewhere (like the red Eagle we got some time ago). Everyone else will have to pay for one.

OK, so I got Cobra and Viper crossed, my bad

I mean I'm preordering, this game is great when I have the time to jump into it even as a smallfry idiot. I got a few other people into it, friend is coming over tomorrow to try it with my HOTAS to decide if he wants to drop the cash for such a setup.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I would say to people considering the game: buy horizons and play it when it's released, as it is now E:D has very little depth, but knowing what we learned yesterday horizons will add a vast amount of gameplay even with just what we should see in the initial release, with a lot of very good stuff coming later on in the year.

And I guess if you preorder it you get the cobra mk4 anyways??? which I had thought was the only benefit people with the base game got, but I guess the joke's on me.

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright

quote:

For a limited time all existing Elite: Dangerous players will receive a £10 loyalty discount plus the exclusive Cobra Mark IV ship when ordering the Elite Dangerous: Horizons through the Frontier Store. Discount will be automatically applied at checkout. Those who take advantage of this offer will be able to purchase the Cobra MkIV in-game when Elite Dangerous: Horizons lands.

Heavy implication here that the MkIV is tied to the loyalty discount conditions.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

This game is the poo poo and I sometimes use tunes from it as ringtones.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

RearmingStrafbomber posted:

Heavy implication here that the MkIV is tied to the loyalty discount conditions.

It's not, they've clarified this a rediculous number of times.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Shine posted:

This game is the poo poo and I sometimes use tunes from it as ringtones.

Literally my favorite NES game

Still have an actual cart of it

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

so like

does it turn into a robot or is it just like

an f-14

in space

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
The latter

But it's only in space in that scene I think?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

You do a mission On Land Mass which is basically go forward and blow poo poo and sometimes drop a thing (helpful or harmful) on a target

and then you are in space and you dock

Sometimes you stop going forward a lot and can only go sideways and a little forward because you're at a boss

If you didn't just go straight to full auto cannon you are a giant idiot and should throw a magnet on your NES

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I picked the game up a few days ago and I think I've got a basic idea of how most of it works now. What is there to do in multiplayer that wouldn't happen in solo? From googling, it seems like they're basically the same and the only change will be that occasionally the person I almost crash into while trying to land will be a goon instead of an NPC. What's new if I switch modes and play with goons instead?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

MooCowlian posted:

I picked the game up a few days ago and I think I've got a basic idea of how most of it works now. What is there to do in multiplayer that wouldn't happen in solo? From googling, it seems like they're basically the same and the only change will be that occasionally the person I almost crash into while trying to land will be a goon instead of an NPC. What's new if I switch modes and play with goons instead?
The only real difference is that you can Wing it up with other players to share bounties (and get a bit of free money whenever a wingman sells stuff).
And that is really it: Solo mode is the exact same game as Open, only you will never see or be able to interact with other players until you switch modes.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Is it possible to adjust how sensitive, or some other similar setting, the context sensitive menus are? Sometimes in VR, during hectic fights or just tight turns in stations they open up as I glance at them and it throws off my key binds as instead of adjusting boosters I start flipping through menus.

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go
What I don't get about the multicrew hype, how is flying one ship with two people going to beat flying two ships with two people?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Maybe one guy could fly the ship and the other guy could play a little puzzle to make the warp drive charge faster

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
They haven't said how it works but if it lets you teleport to someone's ship then it could be used to give tours of deep space or something. Or get two computers with VR headsets and take your GF on a roadtrip, she'd love that!

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

TomR posted:

Or get two computers with VR headsets and take your GF on a roadtrip, she'd love that!

Pay attention class, this is called "romance". :golfclap:

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

double riveting posted:

What I don't get about the multicrew hype, how is flying one ship with two people going to beat flying two ships with two people?

If there's only a limited number of ships in an instance, and more people make actually improve combat performance, I could see this working.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

OB_Juan posted:

If there's only a limited number of ships in an instance, and more people make actually improve combat performance, I could see this working.

Wing of four ships, 8 (or more!) people in them.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
And then, once everyone is in the same instance, LAUNCH FIGHTERS

I wish I knew how, so I could add the appropriate frogs/anacondas/vipers to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdkCpnGMyGw

OB_Juan fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 26, 2015

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

So what's the skinny on the new gladiator mode? I might play again if it's cool. How do you get into it?

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Xerxes17 posted:

So what's the skinny on the new gladiator mode? I might play again if it's cool. How do you get into it?

In the launcher, hit up the CQC beta, it's a new install, but when that's done, you'll see it in the new in-game menu.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

OB_Juan posted:

And then, once everyone is in the same instance, LAUNCH FIGHTERS

I wish I knew how, so I could add the appropriate frogs/anacondas/vipers to this.

This really calls into question about how they'll display the UIs for wings of more than 4 people. The excuse for 'only 4' was always a UI design decision.
Maybe now the Wing icon for a person/group will be a ship name instead of CMDR name. An Anaconda and an Eagle would be 'Uberballs' group, a Corvette and a Viper would be another, etc. up till 4 'groups'

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

KakerMix posted:

This really calls into question about how they'll display the UIs for wings of more than 4 people. The excuse for 'only 4' was always a UI design decision.
Maybe now the Wing icon for a person/group will be a ship name instead of CMDR name. An Anaconda and an Eagle would be 'Uberballs' group, a Corvette and a Viper would be another, etc. up till 4 'groups'

Also, I wonder if/how they will use the pilot portraits in the game UI for comms or wings etc.

Its definitely not that easy though to up the wing numbers with the current ui. They will need something else, there is not enough HD real estate for something like 8 ships the way they are doing it now. Maybe its one of (the secondary) reasons that they chose to move to multi-crew instead of bigger wings.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 26, 2015

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Well, they didn't mention it specifically, but multicrew basically confirms ship naming. I'm wondering how it will work when one member of a crew is wanted before joing a ship that isn't wanted. And what will happen if you're in an SRV/Fightercraft with no FSD and your mothership gets blown up (or just wanders away/logs off.)

I get the feeling it will end up being a "you teleport onto the ship when joining a crew" sort of deal, because I don't see how they could overcome these sorts of things otherwise.

e: Also there's the question of how rewards and such will be split or if only the ship owner will be rewarded for stuff (which I think is unlikely but we are talking about :frontear: here.)

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

AndroidHub posted:

Well, they didn't mention it specifically, but multicrew basically confirms ship naming. I'm wondering how it will work when one member of a crew is wanted before joing a ship that isn't wanted. And what will happen if you're in an SRV/Fightercraft with no FSD and your mothership gets blown up (or just wanders away/logs off.)

I get the feeling it will end up being a "you teleport onto the ship when joining a crew" sort of deal, because I don't see how they could overcome these sorts of things otherwise.

e: Also there's the question of how rewards and such will be split or if only the ship owner will be rewarded for stuff (which I think is unlikely but we are talking about :frontear: here.)

They've talked before that they want reputation to be more ship-specific so that a bounty would follow a ship and not necessarily a player (at least before a bounty scan, I imagine). Think of buying a really good price anaconda because the seller needed it gone fast, but it means you'll be hunted down for a while.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Option B, imagine finding a Python in the assend of nowhere for like 25M, jumping on it, and then realizing the previous owner fitted it with a C2E FSD before selling it. ANd the station won't sell FSDs big enough for a Python.

Predatory house flipping, Elite style.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Also I suspect (they didn't say explicitly) multicrew is going to be locked behind horizons, but it would be very cool/smart of them to make it so that only the person who owns the ship needs horizons, and people can join their crew and come along for the ride to "try out" things like multicrew and p-landing. I don't expect it to be this way, but it would be cool if it happened nonetheless.

The divide of features is really hard to guess at, mostly because besides planetary landing they haven't said(or at least I haven't seen them say) explicitly that any specific feature they talked about will be exclusive to horizons owners. You would think things like ship-launched fighters, commander customization, etc would be general updates, but it's also easy to imagine how they could make them exclusive. Also, like the livestream, the community post just sorta lumps evertyhing together (including things we know they have said will be for everyone, such as crafting) then it goes out of the way to put the viper mk4 in a seperate section saying it will be available to everyone.

I really wish they would just come out and list what will and won't be pay-for content.

(Also does anyone else keep typing it as "horizonz" then fixing it immediately? :sweatdrop:)

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

AndroidHub posted:

Also I suspect (they didn't say explicitly) multicrew is going to be locked behind horizons, but it would be very cool/smart of them to make it so that only the person who owns the ship needs horizons, and people can join their crew and come along for the ride to "try out" things like multicrew and p-landing. I don't expect it to be this way, but it would be cool if it happened nonetheless.

The divide of features is really hard to guess at, mostly because besides planetary landing they haven't said(or at least I haven't seen them say) explicitly that any specific feature they talked about will be exclusive to horizons owners. You would think things like ship-launched fighters, commander customization, etc would be general updates, but it's also easy to imagine how they could make them exclusive. Also, like the livestream, the community post just sorta lumps evertyhing together (including things we know they have said will be for everyone, such as crafting) then it goes out of the way to put the viper mk4 in a seperate section saying it will be available to everyone.

I really wish they would just come out and list what will and won't be pay-for content.

(Also does anyone else keep typing it as "horizonz" then fixing it immediately? :sweatdrop:)

Frontier are pretty bad at getting the concept of "giving you a taste", i think. There's no non-cash paintjobs when any company thinking for even half a second would have put a couple in there as stock, had a couple more for ingame cash, but kept the actual interesting/fancy ones as cash shop. As it is right now you have no reason to even mess with the concept of painting your boat unless you've already bought a paintjob.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Multicrew will come with ships you can poo poo out of your anaconda to roleplay a Protoss Carrier and that is all that I require in life to be fulfilled.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

AndroidHub posted:

They did say specific crafting materials could only be found on planet surfaces, so that's some specific content locked behind the expansion.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Mr Darcy posted:

That's a cavalier thing to say.

Look at mr fancy loving education.

:smug:

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Does E:D require a monthly sub?

Also

Is this steam sale a good way to get in (~$27), or are there cheaper methods? http://store.steampowered.com/app/359320/?snr=1_4_4__112

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Paramemetic posted:

Multicrew will come with ships you can poo poo out of your anaconda to roleplay a Protoss Carrier and that is all that I require in life to be fulfilled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5e6eG6bXAQ

Needs more pylons.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Gerbil_Pen posted:

Does E:D require a monthly sub?
No.

quote:

Also

Is this steam sale a good way to get in (~$27), or are there cheaper methods? http://store.steampowered.com/app/359320/?snr=1_4_4__112
Yes, that's as cheap as you're going to get it. However, they're about to launch their first expansion pack in a few months, to which buying the cheap version of the base game now will not grant you access. Consult their flowchart to decide how you want to proceed:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

FronzelNeekburm posted:

No.

Yes, that's as cheap as you're going to get it. However, they're about to launch their first expansion pack in a few months, to which buying the cheap version of the base game now will not grant you access. Consult their flowchart to decide how you want to proceed:

If someone already had ED and then bought the lifetime expansion pass when it was available, would they have an extra copy of the ED base game to give to a friend?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The expansion pass is tied to the same account as the base game (at least mine is, but I got mine as part of the kickstarter rewards), so I'm guessing no.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the infographic on pricing... I am guessing there will be some more affordable holiday bundle, will wait for then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
With the added bonus of it actually being released then

• Locked thread