Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

flosofl posted:

Yeah, that blows me away. Renters insurance is dirt loving cheap for the basics, and even basic coverage would reimburse for most of the poo poo you lost.

My renters policy is 10k. That would not cover a condo full of stuff.

On the bright side, the guy wasn't attempting insurance freude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Why was there a guy in a shark cage hanging out right over the thing?

wait were they loving cutting through that with a torch? lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Delta Echo posted:

My renters policy is 10k. That would not cover a condo full of stuff.

On the bright side, the guy wasn't attempting insurance freude.

You can increase the coverage

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

Yeah how the gently caress did you get only 10k coverage? Mine is $60/6mo for 50k, so basically if I manage to run the sink long enough that it floods my upstairs neighbors I'll be cool I guess.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Computer viking posted:

I feel completely fine about living a place where piping gas to residential houses never caught on.

I'm glad I live in a house with a gas pipe connection in the Netherlands. That means I get really cheap heating from our own Groningen gas bubble. The fact that extracting the gas from the Groningen bubble is causing small earthquakes and damaging houses all over Groningen ain't my problem. I don't live in Groningen.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

I'm glad I live in a house with a gas pipe connection in the Netherlands. That means I get really cheap heating from our own Groningen gas bubble. The fact that extracting the gas from the Groningen bubble is causing small earthquakes and damaging houses all over Groningen ain't my problem. I don't live in Groningen.

No Dutch politician lives in Groningen so it's no problem.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

What's even the point of only 10K coverage? Back when I rented I carried 50K minimum for property plus 500K personal liability and it cost me $12 a month. I now have a $2M umbrella policy on top of my home/auto and it's an extra $56 a year. Insurance is stupid cheap for how much it can prevent things from ruining your life.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

When you cut into some "scrap metal", first check and make sure that it's not actually a 500-lb Mk82 bomb.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Before I clicked the link I assumed this was somewhere like Germany or France or Cambodia where there's a shitload of unexploded ordinance just sticking out of the ground. :gop:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How's a live aircraft bomb wind up in a scrap yard?

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's perfectly safe, the strong odorant they add to the gas means that you'll smell it long before it reaches an explosive concentration.

I made a stop at my grandma's house many years back and smelled it in the finished half of the basement, and told everyone to get out and called 911. There was roadwork about 50 feet from the house and they managed to break a still-buried gas line and it seeped through the walls somehow. When the FD came they found the gas levels had actually exceeded the upper explosive limit, so for an undetermined amount of time, the simple act of turning on a light could have sent the house sky-high.

As an interesting footnote, while in the middle of evacuating the block and using fans to exhaust the gas, a building burnt down two blocks away because of kids playing with fireworks. Busy day for the local volunteer FD.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
that's why they're paid so well

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Robo Reagan posted:

Scrap yards buy scrap metal by the pound so I assume someone on a military base wanted to buy meth by the gram and put 2 and 2 together.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

"yo, danny, wanna cut up that new scrap so it fits in the shredder? yeah, that one, the bomb-shaped one with the fins and stenciled warnings."

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

It probably looked more like this when he found it

Idiot probably thought it was a weird gas tank. Still, that yellow tip screams "this explodes" to anyone with a functional brain.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

VectorSigma posted:

I made a stop at my grandma's house many years back and smelled it in the finished half of the basement, and told everyone to get out and called 911. There was roadwork about 50 feet from the house and they managed to break a still-buried gas line and it seeped through the walls somehow. When the FD came they found the gas levels had actually exceeded the upper explosive limit, so for an undetermined amount of time, the simple act of turning on a light could have sent the house sky-high.

As an interesting footnote, while in the middle of evacuating the block and using fans to exhaust the gas, a building burnt down two blocks away because of kids playing with fireworks. Busy day for the local volunteer FD.

When I worked at the airport, some genius decided that the best way to deal with a leaky propane cylinder (for the forklifts) was to remove it, set it on one of the open loading docks, open the valve, and walk away.

Problem is, the wind was blowing in from that side of the building. I walked in (through a different entrance,) took one whiff, turned around, walked a couple hundred feet from the building, and called the airport fire department.

They had to evacuate the entire warehouse for over an hour, and it caused three or four flight delays. The managers were livid.

I thought it was funny as hell.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

buttcoinbrony posted:

Yeah how the gently caress did you get only 10k coverage? Mine is $60/6mo for 50k, so basically if I manage to run the sink long enough that it floods my upstairs neighbors I'll be cool I guess.

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

Good points. I don't have much stuff, I like to live light.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Robo Reagan posted:

Don't worry Robo Reagan, McCain is on the case

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

There's video footage of the accident available on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUWkUDX81PY

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Warning - http://gfycat.com/IllSpiritedDanishswedishfarmdog - Warning this one depicts a man falling off a ladder badly and likely breaking his neck warning

Please learn how ladders work before you use them tia

Also no, not modern art, an insulation foam accident

e - one more ladder safety. Costa Rica needs it's power after all

Justin Credible fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 26, 2015

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Delta Echo posted:

Good points. I don't have much stuff, I like to live light.

You are probably undervaluing your stuff. I live in a tiny 1BR and have $30k of coverage.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

This one always gets me. I mean there's the security guards (?) falling over themselves trying to chase after it, the guy who takes a dive off the cart instead of stopping it, and the dude who runs from off camera on the left and catches up to it while a equally fast woman vaults somebody who got knocked over.

And there's the fact that somebody seems to have intentionally sent it into the people. Has to have been some kind of personal injury insurance scam or vendetta against somebody in the group or something.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

C.M. Kruger posted:

35 years ago on the night of September 18th at around 6:30 PM, a worker refueling a Titan II missile outside Damascus, Arkansas dropped a 25lb socket wrench onto the missile, which punctured the fuel tank. About 9 hours later it blew up, two airmen sent to check on the condition of the evacuated silo were severely injured, one died from injuries and exposure to the fuel oxidizer, while 21 other people were injured in the explosion or by exposure to the fuel/oxidizer. The 750 ton silo door was launched around 600 feet while the 9 megaton nuclear warhead ended up in a ditch 100 feet past the entry gate. (the lozenge shaped thing in the below image is a propane tank IIRC)

The book "Command and Control" goes into great detail about the accident, other accidents, and nuclear weapon safety.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Sorry buddy, your third-rung stability shake is totally best practices, but it doesn't cancel out the Caution: Wet Floor sign right behind you.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Do It Once Right posted:

Sorry buddy, your third-rung stability shake is totally best practices, but it doesn't cancel out the Caution: Wet Floor sign right behind you.

Also these are the feet on those ladders

If they are like any other little giant I've ever seen in a work environment the grips are worn smooth. I also used to work for a satellite TV company and personally knew of four guys who got some kind of permanent injury which reduced their capacity to work due to situations just like that gif.

Fastidious Toes
Apr 10, 2009

so much blood....

buttcoinbrony posted:

That's a good rate. Through who? And, who would rent and not have renters insurance?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Fastidious Toes posted:

That's a good rate. Through who? And, who would rent and not have renters insurance?

Same people who make this thread possible. :911:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

C.M. Kruger posted:

And there's the fact that somebody seems to have intentionally sent it into the people. Has to have been some kind of personal injury insurance scam or vendetta against somebody in the group or something.

It wasn't intentional, the story is up someplace, happened at the Cowboys stadium after a highschool tournament or something. That orange foam thing fell and jammed into the pedal while they were cleaning up the sidelines

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Computer viking posted:

I feel completely fine about living a place where piping gas to residential houses never caught on.

On the other hand, Overwined's apartment building probably wouldn't have burned down two pages ago had they had gas dryers instead of electric (though that sounded like a poo poo-show so who knows).

bizwank posted:

What's even the point of only 10K coverage? ...

College students. Other than that, people should really have more coverage.

At least the guy who started this conversation will probably be able to salvage most of his stuff.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Gas is maybe a little more dangerous but fuuuuuck cooking on an electric range so yeah

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

Gas is maybe a little more dangerous but fuuuuuck cooking on an electric range so yeah

Its kind of the go to if you want to do something like, I dont know, HEAT YOUR HOUSE.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

JB50 posted:

Its kind of the go to if you want to do something like, I dont know, HEAT YOUR HOUSE.

just gotta avoid trying to heat the whole thing at the same time

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dewgy posted:

just gotta avoid trying to heat the whole thing at the same time

Rapid unplanned thermal runaway.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MrYenko posted:

Rapid unplanned thermal runaway.

Breakaway spontaneous Arachnid disposal.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JB50 posted:

Unless you're in the Pacific NW where there's so much cheap hydropower

There are still parts of the NE where people store hundreds of gallons of fuel oil in their house to run the furnace, and deliveries of oil don't happen in blizzards. The Marcellus Shale isn't that far, folks

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

C.M. Kruger posted:

35 years ago on the night of September 18th at around 6:30 PM, a worker refueling a Titan II missile outside Damascus, Arkansas dropped a 25lb socket wrench onto the missile, which punctured the fuel tank. About 9 hours later it blew up, two airmen sent to check on the condition of the evacuated silo were severely injured, one died from injuries and exposure to the fuel oxidizer, while 21 other people were injured in the explosion or by exposure to the fuel/oxidizer. The 750 ton silo door was launched around 600 feet while the 9 megaton nuclear warhead ended up in a ditch 100 feet past the entry gate. (the lozenge shaped thing in the below image is a propane tank IIRC)

The book "Command and Control" goes into great detail about the accident, other accidents, and nuclear weapon safety.

So that's where the idea for The Glow came from!

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgX6JFoV0TM&t=116s

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Computer viking posted:

I live in Florida, which has so few days of legitimately cold weather that it wouldn't be feasible to bother with natural gas for heating.

All we get are tornadoes and hurricanes pretty much daily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

I live in Florida, which has so few days of legitimately cold weather that it wouldn't be feasible to bother with natural gas for heating.

All we get are tornadoes and hurricanes pretty much daily.

Also gators, snakes, and the most dangerous wildlife of all, Florida Man

• Locked thread