  • Post
Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

rydiafan posted:

I assume that image is from an advertisement for the weird stairs, and that is there to show space savings.

No no no idiot that's obviously not it. Someone with a bit of imagination answer better. :colbert:

e: like maybe it's some indiana jones dealio where you have to step on the squares that spell out "OSHA" or you get dropped into a pit of nazis German forklift drivers?

Karate Bastard has a new favorite as of 20:15 on Sep 26, 2015

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Karate Bastard posted:

No no no idiot that's obviously not it. Someone with a bit of imagination answer better. :colbert:

e: like maybe it's some indiana jones dealio where you have to step on the squares that spell out "OSHA" or you get dropped into a pit of nazis German forklift drivers?

Remember, OSHA starts with an I in Latin.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Bobby Digital posted:

Remember, OSHA starts with an I in Latin.

No, it ends in an I.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

FutonForensic posted:

Reminds me of the :nms: Grapefruit Technique. :nms:

Edit: Oh my God. :cripes:

I'm sure it's been pointed out before, but these are just shelves designed to look like stairs. There's a skylight at the top, you wouldn't be climbing up them at regular intervals.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

change my name posted:

I'm sure it's been pointed out before, but these are just shelves designed to look like stairs. There's a skylight at the top, you wouldn't be climbing up them at regular intervals.

They're so bad at being usable shelving space, though. How can you tell the difference between a stair/shelf hybrid that sucks at both, and shelves that still suck at being shelves?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
anything is shelves/stairs if you're brave enough

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Screaming Idiot posted:

anything is shelves/stairs if you're brave enough

Just store all your books on the floor like a animal.

Am I doing right? Is this still cool?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

AlphaKretin posted:

Just store all your books on the floor like a animal.

Am I doing right? Is this still cool?

Just add waffle irons and you're done! Walla!

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

Just add bread clips and you're done! Walla!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Build your stairs by putting books in a waffle iron, then use bread clips to join the resulting burnt mass together! Walla!

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

e -

cyberia has a new favorite as of 11:29 on Sep 27, 2015

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is that asterisk helping in some way? I imagine it will not match dotfiles in the root (if any?) leaving you with a system slightly less shanked up the arse than if you had left it out. What a pissy lifehack.

dumb bunny
Jan 30, 2014

Fun Shoe

Karate Bastard posted:

Is that asterisk helping in some way? I imagine it will not match dotfiles in the root (if any?) leaving you with a system slightly less shanked up the arse than if you had left it out. What a pissy lifehack.

Some versions of rm refuse to remove / recursively without an extra option.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

No, it ends in an I.

I appreciated this enormously after all the gbs OSHA threads.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

What does that do, if you don't mind me asking?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

What does that do, if you don't mind me asking?

"sudo" is admin privileges, "rm" is remove files, and the "-rf" flag removes all subfiles and subdirectories.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ignite Memories posted:

What does that do, if you don't mind me asking?

sudo rm -rf .*

rm = remove
-r = recursive
-f = force (no prompt)

.* = a typical mistake junior admins make to get rid of bunch of "dotfiles" in a UNIX like system. dotfiles are usually files or directories that hold user-level config overrides for various programs. Unfortunately, '.*' also includes '..' which means to go up a level in the directory tree. It also includes ./*

sudo = means "do as superuser" and this is the part that makes it devastating. 'sudo' means that command will climb all the way to the root level and delete files recursively from there. Every single file that isn't locked is nuked.

In the late 80s or early 90s, this was almost a rite of passage for young admins. I, personally, destroyed an NNTP server at a startup ISP in the mid 90s with that one. Of course, back then we did everything as root, because "why not?"

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Ignite Memories posted:

What does that do, if you don't mind me asking?

rm is the remove command. The r after the dash means it is recursive, so includes subdirectories. The f ignores confirmations. / is the root of the filesystem, roughly similar to C: under windows.

Its basically 'delete everything, don't ask for confirmation'

E:fb and forgot the sudo :(

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

It's a stupid prank anyways. If you're going to sell going into the terminal and running some commands as an alternative for just restarting your computer, most people would just restart it. I feel like people who are "all about" life hacks and making things circuitously more difficult are the only ones who would even try it.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

change my name posted:

I feel like people who are "all about" life hacks and making things circuitously more difficult are the only ones who would even try it.
And that's what makes it perfect. :getin:

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

flosofl posted:

.* = a typical mistake junior admins make to get rid of bunch of "dotfiles" in a UNIX like system. dotfiles are usually files or directories that hold user-level config overrides for various programs. Unfortunately, '.*' also includes '..' which means to go up a level in the directory tree. It also includes ./*

This is entirely wrong. .* does not traverse upwards in the directory tree. That would be absurd.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey smartass how about you just try it instead of spouting nonsense <:mad:>

sorry I know you're right, couldn't resist :) this is the wrong/dangerous/stupid/ineffectual advice thread right?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Phosphine posted:

This is entirely wrong. .* does not traverse upwards in the directory tree. That would be absurd.

You're right, I'm probably misremembering as it's been 20 years (and tales grow in the telling). I must have done a plain old * from the root. For some reason I had it in my head .* encompassed .. so it would climb the tree. I moved pretty quickly away from servers to networks not long after that.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Phosphine posted:

This is entirely wrong. .* does not traverse upwards in the directory tree. That would be absurd.

I'm pretty sure there were old Unix implementations in the '80s where people were screwed over by bugs along those lines, though; I think I read about it in the old Unix-Haters list archives from around 1989-1990 or so. I'll see if I can dig up anything more specific.

Also, Rob Pike has written that dotfiles became "hidden files" in the first place, back in the '70s, as a result of a bug in the handling of "." and ".." and it wasn't originally intentional.

e: Found it; looks like it was a bug in the glob handling in some old SunOS release of csh. From the Unix-Haters mailing list archive:

code:
From: RS
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1992 02:08:20 -0500
Subject: Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy...  NOT!!

F__KING LOUSY, NO-GOOD, PIECE OF SHITE SORRY-ASSED EXCUSE
FOR AN OPERATING SYSTEM...

What do you suppose

csh# rm -rf /tmp/.*

does?

If you said "Csh expands that on the command line and tries
to recursively remove the directory above /tmp (root)", you
were right.

Too bad the shithead who wrote rm couldn't be BOTHERED to
special case obviously bogus commands like "Recursively
remove the directory above me, please".  Undoubtedly,
though, the Unix weenies will maintain that this is the
right thing.

Too bad I decided to swallow my pride and whore myself to
make a little cash on the side by doing UNIX CONSULTING so
now I look like an idiot in front of clients.

Too bad I didn't OWN the Sparc 2 in question so I could
HEAVE IT THROUGH THE PLATE GLASS WINDOW, and watch it
PLUMMET THREE STORIES TO THE CONCRETE SIDEWALK BELOW AND
SMASH INTO A MILLION BILLION TINY PIECES.

There, I feel better now.
A couple of other posters vouched for the fact that this bug existed. Apparently the workaround for this was to use rm -rf .??* instead.

(So flosofl probably is actually remembering correctly, if it's something that happened 20 years ago.)

tacodaemon has a new favorite as of 22:50 on Sep 27, 2015

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Okay, wow, that's an amazing bug. :D

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Would that even work without --no-preserve-root?

(The full command would be then sudo rm -rf --no-preserve-root /, no need for the asterisk.)

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Y'all do see the lifehack in there right?

#csh

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

HardDisk posted:

Would that even work without --no-preserve-root?

(The full command would be then sudo rm -rf --no-preserve-root /, no need for the asterisk.)

The asterisk makes it so you're not removing the root, you're removing everything directly below the root. More compact, less suspicious.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

HardDisk posted:

Would that even work without --no-preserve-root?

(The full command would be then sudo rm -rf --no-preserve-root /, no need for the asterisk.)

That's a GNU extension that wouldn't have been on an early 90s SunOS version of rm.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

If anybody does try this, let Darwin Awards know.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sordas Volantyr posted:

If anybody does try this, let Darwin Awards know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-B1ucdeBFo

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Sordas Volantyr posted:

If anybody does try this, let Darwin Awards know.

I don't remember 13 years old being that dumb

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Tired Moritz posted:

I don't remember 13 years old being that dumb

The video above your post is even worse. They stuck iron wool in the outlet for shits and giggles.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

When I were a lad we used to visit my mother's aunt every Saturday and her apartment had wall outlets with spring-loaded covering plates so to plug something in you'd have to press it against the outlet at a 90 degree angle and then twist it into the correct position (which would also turn the cover plate) and push it in. I don't think I'd ever been interested in sticking things into electric sockets anywhere else but man did I always play with those, turning them with Lego antennas and poo poo, because they were a lot more amusing (for about thirty seconds) than outlets without safety covers. Welp that was my "I was a stupid kid once" story hope you enjoyed it. Stay safe and stay legal, god bless the United States of America.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Mom and dad not paying you sufficient attention? Try lighting small fires around the house and they'll stop ignoring you and the fact that you are ruining their life in no time! #LifeHack

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tired Moritz posted:

I don't remember 13 years old being that dumb

Not one but two people in my 7th grade class stuck paper clips in power sockets. One of them set his history book on fire doing it. Another got his girlfriend pregnant so he could "prove I'm a better dad than my dad" So yeah 13 year olds are pretty awful.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Len posted:

Not one but two people in my 7th grade class stuck paper clips in power sockets. One of them set his history book on fire doing it. Another got his girlfriend pregnant so he could "prove I'm a better dad than my dad" So yeah 13 year olds are pretty awful.

I don't know how to tell you this but you can't get your girlfriend pregnant by sticking paper clips in power sockets.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Jerry Cotton posted:

I don't know how to tell you this but you can't get your girlfriend pregnant by sticking paper clips in power sockets.

Oh yeah? Then how'd I get two kids then, JACKASS.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

Oh yeah? Then how'd I get two kids then, JACKASS.

Maybe you should ask your neighbour.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3