Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Yeah I became Nubian culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

The Arabians, Turks, Indians, Baltics and non-european "russia" need cultural idea groups in EU4 so that ideas convert properly in EU4. there are way too many generic ideas in that area in conversions.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

verbal enema posted:

IMO Yazidi really needs to be it's own religion

Them and the Druze. It's very silly to see them sprouting up everywhere if an Islamic sect has low MA... I've got a game where Yazidi took over all of Mali and Morocco...

Really, I think the Muslim religions shouldn't have heresies, but at low MA provinces and rulers are likely to switch to one of the other sects. It'd give the Shia a chance to get a foothold in the earlier starts.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

verbal enema posted:

:agreed:

muslims literally have far far more in common with judaism, but those two aren't even considered the same religious group in-game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Esroc posted:

So, I guess there's a possibility that the GoT mod might be dead? Apparently post HL updates broke major systems the mod relies on, but they are systems Vanilla doesn't use the way the mod does so Vanilla is unaffected by the changes. And since Vanilla is unaffected, Paradox has taken a "not our problem" approach. The mod devs allegedly can't just find a new way to implement the broken systems.

Might just be overreacting on the part of mod fans, but things like this have happened before with mods for other games.

Typical, isn't it? Paradox implement a way to play as the Dothraki, the mod promptly goes tits up.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

:agreed:

muslims literally have far far more in common with judaism, but those two aren't even considered the same religious group in-game.

Well, they ultimately aren't. The muslim origin story features prominently a moment where Muhammad fails to sway Jews to his way, and afterwards aptly changes the direction of worship from Jerusalem to Mecca.

But not to get into this debate in here, I do agree that I've always missed some of the interesting interactions that happened between muslims and jews after that and during these exact times (like them being capable of trading with them, while catholics lolno, or muslims in Spain creating a jewish militia that kept the subjugated catholics in line). There was a lot of back and forth between these two religions back then, but sadly...no such special events or such to signify it in CKII. :(

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think playing as the Mongol Empire might be too easy. I just took Poland, Hungary and the entire HRE (including almost all of Italy) basically at the same time. I'm not even having that many revolts.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

yuAngry Salami posted:

Them and the Druze. It's very silly to see them sprouting up everywhere if an Islamic sect has low MA... I've got a game where Yazidi took over all of Mali and Morocco...

Really, I think the Muslim religions shouldn't have heresies, but at low MA provinces and rulers are likely to switch to one of the other sects. It'd give the Shia a chance to get a foothold in the earlier starts.

Now thats a good idea.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
what happens if I'm ultimogeniture, and I have a set of twins tied for youngest son?

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

what happens if I'm ultimogeniture, and I have a set of twins tied for youngest son?

If its anything like how it sets off with primogeniture in my experience, it'll be the kid on the right instead of on the left in your little spread of kids faces.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

I'd assume whoever's naming event popped up first

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

In my experience, whichever one turns out with the better Intrigue score will end up ruling

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Eric the Mauve posted:

In my experience, whichever one turns out with the better Intrigue score will end up ruling

lol

two of the holy sites for zunists are effectively unreachable, unless the abassid caliphate completely collapses, and zunists cannot raid :wtc: which means I'm going to have to conquest my way to the 50 moral authority needed for reformation

until then, I'm going to have to put up with one of the following: increased revolt risk everywhere, or having an opinion mallus with all of my vassals outside my demesne being muslims/buddhists/hindus

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Heliopolis being a Zunist holy site is funny as poo poo and fitting but can the one in Baghdad get moved to somewhere in Gujarat or something?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm trying to go for the "Rule the Kingdom of Mongolia as a Norse character". Do you have to wait for the mongol hordes to show up to grab that title?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Do the Mongol hordes actually show up as such in Horse Lords?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

lol

two of the holy sites for zunists are effectively unreachable, unless the abassid caliphate completely collapses, and zunists cannot raid :wtc: which means I'm going to have to conquest my way to the 50 moral authority needed for reformation

until then, I'm going to have to put up with one of the following: increased revolt risk everywhere, or having an opinion mallus with all of my vassals outside my demesne being muslims/buddhists/hindus

Zunists can raid.. just make sure to be a Zunist horde!

Funky Valentine posted:

Heliopolis being a Zunist holy site is funny as poo poo and fitting but can the one in Baghdad get moved to somewhere in Gujarat or something?

It should be in the steppe or something, India has enough already.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Baron Porkface posted:

Do the Mongol hordes actually show up as such in Horse Lords?

Considering that achievement was added with the Horse Lord expansion, I sure hope so.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Broken Cog posted:

I'm trying to go for the "Rule the Kingdom of Mongolia as a Norse character". Do you have to wait for the mongol hordes to show up to grab that title?

I think all you actually need to do is get to Mongolia and form the kingdom once you control enough of it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I have a couple questions for modders who've added in melting pot cultures. First is a question about Norse melting pots in the British Isles. I have Norse-Gael and Anglo-Norse set up, and a simple version of the culture conversion based on the Norman conversion event, but I'm thinking of how to deal with the provinces that are already Norse. I was thinking of setting it up so that Norse provinces in those areas will convert too, but I'm not sure how I would set that up (I'm new to modding things). But would it make more sense to change the province culture, either to the rest of the area or to the melting pot culture? It would be simpler that way I suppose. How would you go about it?

Also, what's a good way to make a new melting pot culture? I'd like to add a Brittonic counterpart to the Norse-Gaels, but that wasn't really a thing so I'd have to make it myself. Sadly, I'm not a linguistic expert so I don't really know the best way to go about this. Related is coming up with dynasty names for these cultures. The New Cultures thread is pretty good for cultures, but very few of them include dynasty names with them as well.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

FreudianSlippers posted:

I think all you actually need to do is get to Mongolia and form the kingdom once you control enough of it.
I think his issue is that it isn't 'Mongolia' early on, but Kirghiz. Apparently the same kingdom, though, based on landed_titles.

Odd that it's called that when it's uncontrolled.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So I am just getting back into the game after a long while and I haven't played since vassal limits were introduced. Im looking at playing a new Byzantine game and conquering all of Europe as the Roman Empire, to do so am I going to have to create kingdom titles and distribute them to stay under the vassal limit? Or is there another way, because I hate handing out kingdom titles while playing as an Empire. I don't really understand the system so I'm not sure what to do.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
As Byzantium you can create viceroyalties which I think are kingdom titles, but they revert back to you on holder's death.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

As Byzantium you can create viceroyalties which I think are kingdom titles, but they revert back to you on holder's death.

How do you create them?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So I am just getting back into the game after a long while and I haven't played since vassal limits were introduced. Im looking at playing a new Byzantine game and conquering all of Europe as the Roman Empire, to do so am I going to have to create kingdom titles and distribute them to stay under the vassal limit? Or is there another way, because I hate handing out kingdom titles while playing as an Empire. I don't really understand the system so I'm not sure what to do.

If you start or get into the Byzantine Empire, it has Imperial Administration, that allows you a much higher vassal cap and allows you to hand out duchy viceroy titles, which is great since you can actually assign them according to 'best person for the job' as opposed to the bloodline giving you retards or ambitious bastards for vassals.

I've just reformed the Roman Empire myself and if you're willing to make your realm less centralized it's perfectly doable to withold on creating as many as 8 kingdom titles. Though eventually, you might decide that some of the bigger kingdoms you'd want to make viceroys, but again - those pass onto you upon the owner's death and not just their heir automatically, so you can control moreso to pick out the best vassals with the 'content' trait or so forth.

As to how you create them, just select the option 'grant viceroyalty' as opposed to 'grant title' in the character interaction menu. The only prerequisite for them is that the one you're bestowing it upon already is a feudal lord.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Cool. But do I need to create the kingdom titles first before granting the vice royalties or is it separate?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Cool. But do I need to create the kingdom titles first before granting the vice royalties or is it separate?

Yes...but like I said, you don't need to create kingdom titles for awhile (like all the way until you restore the Roman Empire at least) if you don't have too high centralization (or if you have a high diplomacy character). That said, don't sweat it too much about the gold cost - it starts flowing pretty well, since you control Constantinople. Takeover Venice on Italy, establishing a few merchant republics for your cash flow under your reign, and money will not be an issue.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I must be the only CK 2 player who actually enjoys giving out kingdom titles.

I dont know, I guess it just makes me feel powerful to be able to create kings out of any fucker. Also, I love to see the kingdoms Ive created expand and fight each other.

Of course they can be dangerous to yourself on the long run, but usually when you get to this stage of the game any extra challenge is welcome.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Elias_Maluco posted:

I must be the only CK 2 player who actually enjoys giving out kingdom titles.

I dont know, I guess it just makes me feel powerful to be able to create kings out of any fucker. Also, I love to see the kingdoms Ive created expand and fight each other.

Of course they can be dangerous to yourself on the long run, but usually when you get to this stage of the game any extra challenge is welcome.

Oh no doubt...a long while back I basically doled out kingdom titles within my empire of the norse like candy, but had low imperial crown authority. Fun times!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

CrazyLoon posted:

Oh no doubt...a long while back I basically doled out kingdom titles within my empire of the norse like candy, but had low imperial crown authority. Fun times!

I once had 23 vassal kings on my empire, also norse. Actually, on that game Ive managed to not have a single duke or count vassal.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

CrazyLoon posted:

Yes...but like I said, you don't need to create kingdom titles for awhile (like all the way until you restore the Roman Empire at least) if you don't have too high centralization (or if you have a high diplomacy character). That said, don't sweat it too much about the gold cost - it starts flowing pretty well, since you control Constantinople. Takeover Venice on Italy, establishing a few merchant republics for your cash flow under your reign, and money will not be an issue.

Sounds good, thanks.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Becoming Greek is the best thing you can do for yourself. It totally won't stop the dukes factioning, but its so much more satisfying to cut their balls off when they revolt.

Viceroyalities are a great thing, but I've found that Viceroyal Kings will still participate in factions upon your own ruler death.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So I forgot about the retinue nerf and I'm not sure how to really use them anymore. The last time I played, before the nerf, as the Byzantines I had a doom stack of Cataphracts that I used as my main army, only using levies to siege poo poo or for emergencies. It was easy and awesome. But now of course they cost money to maintain and they are half as large as they used to be. So are retinues still worth using or should I not bother with them?

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So I forgot about the retinue nerf and I'm not sure how to really use them anymore. The last time I played, before the nerf, as the Byzantines I had a doom stack of Cataphracts that I used as my main army, only using levies to siege poo poo or for emergencies. It was easy and awesome. But now of course they cost money to maintain and they are half as large as they used to be. So are retinues still worth using or should I not bother with them?

They're basically for late game now, after you max military organisation and swap levies for tax income.

I should try making a mod to add demesne laws that give you a % bonus on retinue in exchange for a % reduction in levies for yourself and your vassals.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
There's one on the Workshop that does that for, I think, levels of Military Organisation, each level increases your retinue cap and penalizes your levies. It does sound better as a law, though.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

You can (and should) use retinues whenever you want. They're still useful and they still tip the scales in the player's favour despite the kneejerk reaction to the nerf.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
If nothing else, retinues are totally worth it due to the following. In the case of Byzantines - having those 3k horsemen with full morale stationed on borders of whomever you're about to invade, declare war (since retinues are not army levies and you can totally do that) and you can swoop in quick and mop up his weak assembling main force to get some quick warscore points.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

verbal enema posted:

true, but destroying sunni's ma only for parts of the muslim world to turn to devil worship is pretty cool

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ugh, I had forgotten how much of a pain it is to fight in the eastern steppes with the new winter mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Edison was a dick posted:

They're basically for late game now, after you max military organisation and swap levies for tax income.

I should try making a mod to add demesne laws that give you a % bonus on retinue in exchange for a % reduction in levies for yourself and your vassals.

So we are coming full circle. Back when retinues were introduced in Legacy of Rome, the military organization tech increased your retinue cap and decreased the troops you got fom normal levies.

• Locked thread