Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Emery posted:

Also, MOVE THE BALL IT'S STICKING TOO MUCH

While waiting for your teammate to set a pick

Same as 'WHAT ARE YOU DOING, STAY DOWN!!!' every time you contest a shot that draws a foul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Y/Triangle is a lob pass, B/O is bounce, A/X is random.

Also note that you can hold down Y to do a Lead to Basket pass (makes a player cut to the basket and then passes to him - release to make the pass early) and hold B to do a Handoff (works the same way, except brings a player to receive a handoff from you). I don't think the passing tutorial video actually covers them and they seem like they could be pretty rad tools.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Does anyone else accidently lob a pass when trying to post up? Why would they change the controls from the previous years...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Because they change it every single year for whatever reason

Do they firing the control guy or something

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Post up on triggers was in 2k11

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I am watching Chris Smoove's lp on YouTube because I love hokey sports career modes and he just uploaded a video that is, I hope, intentionally hilarious. The owner is trying to scare the PC by telling him how an old player is stuck in Venice. It's a guy who lives in Detroit talking poo poo about... Venice.

I kinda want it now.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Double-tap shoot button is a spin move. Not a euro-step, but at least it's something.

Dexo posted:

Also the era of 2k when you don't have to invest anything in post-up and be a god at it because the CPU always falls for the fake.

The progressions in mycareer when it comes to Connections and Endorsements/practice is a great step forward. Love it. A shame you have no access to it until the 2nd year after an incredibly terrible spike lee thing that goes on and on and on and on

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Inside Outside posted:

It already seems to use it this year. In MyLeague there's a slider for salary cap inflation, and without even touching it you end up with like $30 million in cap space in the summer of 2016.

Not only is the jump already built in, we also have similar jumps every decade(ish) years to simulate future television deals getting signed

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Dexo posted:

2k11 was the greatest game

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

Dexo posted:

Haven't had any issues on the PC so far

Not only did they not fix the Cheat Engine exploit that let people edit their MyPark players, apparently they used the same exact memory locations so all the old cheats still work. Tonight I checked the Sunset Beach park and 18 out of 40 players in it were 99 OVR.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Rabid Snake posted:

Does anyone else accidently lob a pass when trying to post up? Why would they change the controls from the previous years...

Because it allows you to perform all the different passes without having to hold a modifier, which is way better. Especially since the pass buttons all do multiple things.

I find holding and releasing the trigger to go in and out of post to feel more natural anyway. Much like using the trigger on defense.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Maarek posted:

Not only did they not fix the Cheat Engine exploit that let people edit their MyPark players, apparently they used the same exact memory locations so all the old cheats still work. Tonight I checked the Sunset Beach park and 18 out of 40 players in it were 99 OVR.

Yeah it's loving dumb, there was talk about them knowing about that issue and fixing it too, but nope.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Metapod posted:

2k11 was the greatest game

If that was the one with the classic team matchups i agree. The first Jordan edition

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

-Kellogg said the "push the lead to double digits" about my opponent when I'm the one leading
-Kenny smith is talking with shaqs audio. What

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I tried proam. Just kept running ok n the court then.back to locker. What is happening

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

-Good news, they're calling fouls so that sumo throw from last year isn't randomly not a foul
-Bad news, they are ticky tacky as poo poo on fouls. I think 90% of my turnovers are from "Illegal" screens that were perfectly legal last year
-The physics for baskets is super annoying. I've seen like maybe 1 swish and the rest were all those bouncy ones. A lot of those super vertical bouncy makes, more than I would see in 5 real games.
-Off-ball AI has to be a roster problem, because holy poo poo are players really bad when they're not near a ball-handler.
-Every team is the worst at transition defense
-Rebounding is still a mostly position thing, stat is still worthless
-Still haven't used the two dedicated pass buttons. I'm sure the lob thing will be useful in the future....?
-The left-stick only crossover is back
-Spin-move only shoot button is useful since you stop on a dime if you don't try to score out of it
-Wide-open layups are Robin Lopez's greatest enemy

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Tae posted:

-Good news, they're calling fouls so that sumo throw from last year isn't randomly not a foul
-Bad news, they are ticky tacky as poo poo on fouls. I think 90% of my turnovers are from "Illegal" screens that were perfectly legal last year
-The physics for baskets is super annoying. I've seen like maybe 1 swish and the rest were all those bouncy ones. A lot of those super vertical bouncy makes, more than I would see in 5 real games.
-Off-ball AI has to be a roster problem, because holy poo poo are players really bad when they're not near a ball-handler.
-Every team is the worst at transition defense
-Rebounding is still a mostly position thing, stat is still worthless
-Still haven't used the two dedicated pass buttons. I'm sure the lob thing will be useful in the future....?
-The left-stick only crossover is back
-Spin-move only shoot button is useful since you stop on a dime if you don't try to score out of it
-Wide-open layups are Robin Lopez's greatest enemy

:hfive: Knicks brother.

Bounce Pass and lob pass are god tier when running pick and rolls

Rebounding is mostly a position thing but if you have low rebounding if there is another player anywhere near you going for the rebound they will take it.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just getting a finger on a rebound you can control it which is nice..chase down blocks are so fun since they finally work. I missed a game winning layup in mypark then we lost. I heard this kid say "man how you miss that poo poo!" His guy scored 14 points on backdoor cuts. gently caress him.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Is MyPark still 95% dudes never ever passing, walking back and forth between two spots and jacking terrible 3s all day?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Illinois Smith posted:

Is MyPark still 95% dudes never ever passing, walking back and forth between two spots and jacking terrible 3s all day?

Its a little better in Rough Riders, as there is some passing, but people still always end up running towards eachother

I also regret making an interior scoring PF, the most useless player type in the Park. Knew I should have just gone with the Gilbert Arenas clone I always make

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Kind of a bummer that you can't make a super human 3pt/dunk/defensive monster (as easily?). I've made a 3 & D'ish Batum clone and a inside PF so far

E: if I want to be an Aldridge clone, would I boost up post moves or the jump shot stat to hit mid-range turn around jumpers easier?

zelah fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 27, 2015

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I can't get past the loving Wolves in domination mode. Kevin Martin is broken.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Jesus Christ the team owner in MyCareer is a loving psychopath

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Mandrel posted:

Yeah, he really is the best part

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Mandrel posted:

I feel like the Knicks are the perfect franchise to be drafted by to fit the storyline. I actually thought that it was guaranteed that the player would be drafted by them since it's a Spike Lee . Wasnt until after I made a second character that I realized that your performance in HS and college does affect your draft position.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

How much do badges cost to upgrade, because I have a dreadful feeling they didn't bother fixing the badge bug.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

All Stars online is the truth too bad people quit so much.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
The Live Practive stuff is pretty cool, it's too bad hitting L2 doesn't actually turn you around in it though. I like how the head coach whistles and calls you over but then some random assistant does all the talking.

Camping.. Intense!
May 18, 2005

Absolutely
Grimey Drawer
I just want to be able to get rid of the timeouts and post game show, when you have to play 82 games to get through a season any skippable screens help.

Played the MyTeam online last night, was pretty good and surprisingly no stutter or lag but made me realize how bad i am at controlling a whole team, so used to playing MyCareer mode. Especially at shutting down the Center/PF. I had to play the first schedule game 5 times before i could win and even then it was hard fought. I think Pekovic was averaging about 20 pts a game in 6 minute quarters.

Mr. Bing
Oct 25, 2004

...Is it still there?
How to win MyPark:

1. Play a big.
2. Post up.
3. Pass to one of your 12 open teammates because everyone just left their man to try to steal the ball from you.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Mr. Bing posted:

How to win MyPark:

1. Play a big.
2. Post up.
3. Pass to one of your 12 open teammates because everyone just left their man to try to steal the ball from you.

You're missing the vital step 1.5, in which you tell the secrets of getting people to pass to you while posting up

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

You're missing the vital step 1.5, in which you tell the secrets of getting people to pass to you while posting up

Rebound the ball and take it up court yourself

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Seriously what the gently caress is going on with Domination though. The Timberwolves are playing like their sliders are maxed out and I've lost to them like 10 straight times. I can barely score, barely pass without them picking it off, and they can't loving miss. I haven't had any trouble in this game outside this. I feel like I'm losing my goddamn mind. Martin just dropped like 28 points on me and dunked on Hassan Whiteside

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Besides the dunk I really don't see any problem with Kmart scoring at will

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I, for one, am shocked that a team with Ricky Rubio, Andrew Wiggins, Karl Anthony Towns, and Gorgui Deing is racking up a bunch of steals.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 28, 2015

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Just had them whittle down a 17 point lead on a barrage of Rubio and Wiggins 3s to take a 1 point lead with seconds left. I run a P&R to get Whiteside a wide open lane, he catches it, rises into the air for a thunderous tomahawk to seal the game... And is met at the apex by Kevin Martin, streaking in from the corner. Martin rejects the dunk into the third row, Whiteside collapses on his rear end, Wolves win again.

This game is loving with me at this point

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Mr. Bing posted:

How to win MyPark:

1. Play a big.
2. Post up.

Too bad that every time I post up in the park my teammates decide they should all run into the paint with me and bring every defender into the picture

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Mandrel posted:

Just had them whittle down a 17 point lead on a barrage of Rubio and Wiggins 3s to take a 1 point lead with seconds left. I run a P&R to get Whiteside a wide open lane, he catches it, rises into the air for a thunderous tomahawk to seal the game... And is met at the apex by Kevin Martin, streaking in from the corner. Martin rejects the dunk into the third row, Whiteside collapses on his rear end, Wolves win again.

This game is loving with me at this point

The timberwolves were, I think, the only team so far I had to play a 2nd game against in domination (I just beat the Pelicans). They gave me a lot of trouble in the first game, but in the 2nd I made sure to set it to limit perimeter shots and play physical and basically destroyed them on the other end using pick and rolls (Which are a great idea in domination in general, for a quick bucket for maximum points).

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I just finished the Spike Lee portion of the story, thankfully your second season seems to be a more traditional experience for the MyCareer stuff.

Some thoughts from the Spike Lee stuff:
- Frequency Vibrations is the dumbest nickname
- Creating a white dude and having my whole birth family be black is kind of weird from a story perspective
- A lot of the plot points come out of freaking no where (oh I had a girlfriend? Apparently I killed a guy? I'm going out to clubs and showing up late to practice?)
- It's bizarre that the story sets up all these moments that seem like you'll need to make a choice, then the choice is just made for you
- It didn't seem like how I played had any effect on anything other than my draft order
- The story in general was amazingly so Spike Lee, so mission accomplished there I guess

Overall while it was an interesting way to put more story into a sports game, I don't think MyCareer was the best place to put a fully scripted out, on the rails story. I would love to see them continue to have more story in the MyCareer mode, but they need to add some agency back in to it, because it didn't feel like it was my career at all. I'm wondering how much season 2 will just ignore all that story stuff...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

If that's the most spike lee, I never want to see his movies

• Locked thread