Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I safely assume that consoles have less population at least, it's just hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
previews for heart of stone:

http://www.pcgamer.com/love-giant-frog-monsters-and-ghost-parties-in-the-witcher-3s-first-expansion/
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/09/28/the-witcher-3-heart-of-stone-introduces-a-tonal-shift/
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/09/...9&utm_content=2
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-i-cant-wait-for-the-witcher-3s-new-expansion/1100-6430925/
http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/the_witcher_3_hearts_of_stone/preview-3948.html
https://www.vg247.com/2015/09/28/the-witcher-3-hearts-of-stone-hands-on/
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/t...campaign=buffer

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Palpek posted:

I felt there were a lot of people in the city on PC. Is the console version different in that regard or something?
I'm pretty sure they're locked on the lowest population setting.

So which is it, tonal shift or more of the same?

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 28, 2015

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Looks loving great.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So how is the DLC set up? Does it just show up during the game? Postgame content? Is it supposed to be postgame content?

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Rookersh posted:

So how is the DLC set up? Does it just show up during the game? Postgame content? Is it supposed to be postgame content?

From one of the many articles the poster who works on the game linked:

quote:

This new content is also easy to access in the open world. The recommended character level sits around 30, CD Projekt told us during a recent demo, and can be completed before or after you finish the main game. In fact, you initiate it much like any number of side quests: by reading a notice on a town bulletin board.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
There's two ways to start the DLC. You can start it like any other quest from normal game, either a new one or from an existing saved game. You can reportedly also start it from the main menu, in which case it drops you into a new game with a pre-gen character, and all quests from the original game marked as complete.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I wonder if I start it with my new game+ character will the DLC upscale it's levels like the main game does.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

GuyUpNorth posted:

I safely assume that consoles have less population at least, it's just hardware.

I've played on both. If there's a population difference it's not really that noticeable.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Shes Not Impressed posted:

From one of the many articles the poster who works on the game linked:

It's cool that they've taken care to cover all the bases. I uninstalled the game but my savegame should be kicking around somewhere in cold storage, but even if it's gone poof I'm not SOL.

SelfOM
Jun 15, 2010
I still can't punch olaf at all. Not sure why that fight bugs out along with all non boxing fight melees. There is no hit detection what so ever.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hello i changed my mind yen is better than triss

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Finally, (because I've been just putzing around doing side missions and contracts) did the Battle of Kaer Moerhen which only Dijkstra didn't go in for - first, that was the most amped up I've been for an encounter since the Mass Effect 2 suicide mission, and second, did not having him make any difference? It's so well put together I couldn't tell.

Generally, these kind of things 'jar' in games, and you can usually pick up on where 'here's where X would have made a difference' so bravos to CDPR for making things flow as well as they did.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
My Battle of Kaer Morhen cutscenes were hilarious. I skipped like 3 recruits, and there were transitions in the cutscene where like, Geralt would turn to an empty seat and then turn to another empty seat and then it would move on to the next scene.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Shockeh posted:

Finally, (because I've been just putzing around doing side missions and contracts) did the Battle of Kaer Moerhen which only Dijkstra didn't go in for - first, that was the most amped up I've been for an encounter since the Mass Effect 2 suicide mission, and second, did not having him make any difference? It's so well put together I couldn't tell.

Generally, these kind of things 'jar' in games, and you can usually pick up on where 'here's where X would have made a difference' so bravos to CDPR for making things flow as well as they did.
If you found out where the treasure was for him, he doesn't send any troops or whatnot but does give you a reasonable amount of cash

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

oddium posted:

hello i changed my mind yen is better than triss

congrats

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It's a bit jarring how on two separate occasions it's mentioned that Dijkstra sucks at direct combat: once as an excuse why he can't fight along your side in the Kaer Morhen battle and the second time as the reason why you should help him with Radovid's assassination and then he still decides to personally fight you in his big Bond villain moment.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

When I'm riding Roach on a way to a mission and there is a fork on the road, Roach should automatically stick to the road that is indicated by the minimap quest GPS thing. If it's a too sharp turn or something just have it slow down first.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Palpek posted:

It's a bit jarring how on two separate occasions it's mentioned that Dijkstra sucks at direct combat: once as an excuse why he can't fight along your side in the Kaer Morhen battle and the second time as the reason why you should help him with Radovid's assassination and then he still decides to personally fight you in his big Bond villain moment.

Better red and...dead, I guess?

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

Snak posted:

My Battle of Kaer Morhen cutscenes were hilarious. I skipped like 3 recruits, and there were transitions in the cutscene where like, Geralt would turn to an empty seat and then turn to another empty seat and then it would move on to the next scene.

I like to imagine he's probably turning to a seat, hoping to see an ally, and then realizing, ":smith: ...gently caress, I forgot to bring my friends again..."

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

grate deceiver posted:

I just wanted to say that this game has the best drunk quests in the history of bideo jaming. Share embarrasing stories and dress up in your girlfriend's clothes all day erry day.

That is all.

and drunk dial her frenemies

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

"massive" 1.09 patch coming soon. drat teases.

quote:

The patch is on the way. Was just looking at the changelog and it looks really impressive - the list of changes is massive. The update will bring a lot of fixes and improvements including PS4 performance (as well as other platforms) plus many more. We ask for a bit more patience.
source

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Just in time for the expansion. They better drop it before its release though not to break the whole game at the same time.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Jinnigan posted:

and drunk dial her frenemies

If Keira was still in the Lodge and Sabrina wasn't dead, this totally would have worked.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
What are the best weapons/armor to be found in Velen?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
By far the best equipment are from the various Witcher Gear sets found from buying treasure maps from blacksmiths and armorers. Elements of all of them can be found in Velen, but the only one you can start with from the pieces you find there are the Griffin armor and swords, which are medium armor and boost signs.

In the very early game there's a relic sword to be found in a treasure chest in a tiny island south of Fyke Isle in the middle of the big lake that can get you through the first levels pretty well The other relic swords are story or contract dependent though and require some big fights to acquire (especially Jenny of the Woods). All non-withcer gear armor hat's available at low/mid levels is trash except for the Witchhunter cuirass (which you're unlikely to get outside Novigrad) and the Assassin set which boosts criticals and is sometimes randomly acquired from chests or as a quest reward.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 1, 2015

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Bear School or bust. Their set just looks so fantastic.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot

The Sharmat posted:

By far the best equipment are from the various Witcher Gear sets found from buying treasure maps from blacksmiths and armorers. Elements of all of them can be found in Velen, but the only one you can start with from the pieces you find there are the Griffin armor and swords, which are medium armor and boost signs.

In the very early game there's a relic sword to be found in a treasure chest in a tiny island south of Fyke Isle in the middle of the big lake that can get you through the first levels pretty well The other relic swords are story or contract dependent though and require some big fights to acquire (especially Jenny of the Woods). All non-withcer gear armor hat's available at low/mid levels is trash except for the Witchhunter cuirass (which you're unlikely to get outside Novigrad) and the Assassin set which boosts criticals and is sometimes randomly acquired from chests or as a quest reward.

I'm about level 5 and sporting the Viper steel and silver swords. There's a level 14 creature guarding some treasure near Velen whose health bar I can't even make a dent in.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

That happens a lot. Just go back later.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
You end up with a fair few relic swords (sometimes duplicates!) and they are handy if you do something stupid like go into those ruins with Keira without repair kits assuming it'll be a quick run. (First time around I ran out of armour - swords - bread, even - and until I figured out the "trick" for fighting Whatsisface just let Keira keep pushing him back so he can't get at you and hitting him with Igni I thought I was hosed.)

The Wolf School gear (part of the free DLC) is pretty cool too, although you can't start picking it up until you can access Kaen Morhen (not counting the prelude).

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 1, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

starry skies above posted:

I'm about level 5 and sporting the Viper steel and silver swords. There's a level 14 creature guarding some treasure near Velen whose health bar I can't even make a dent in.

Gear actually makes little difference in this game. The issue is you're way too low level and the game artificially makes monsters a certain level threshhold above you really tough. Come back later.

But yeah the witcher gear sets are by far the best. Don't spend too much time worrying about gear.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

starry skies above posted:

That sword south of Fyke Isle I mentioned is only guarded by level 8 drowners or something if I remember and is superior to the Viper sword.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
So, I'm assuming on hard difficulty, armor doesn't matter? Because I melt from enemy attacks.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It does but except for the very best heavy armor it only matters for the boost to other stats, not for the damage reduction. Mastercrafted Ursine armor on deathmarch still makes you a huge tank though.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Anyone getting really bad lockups recently? Like once every half an hour. No ctrl-alt-del or error messages, whole PC just shits itself and restarts.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yoshimo posted:

Anyone getting really bad lockups recently? Like once every half an hour. No ctrl-alt-del or error messages, whole PC just shits itself and restarts.

Make sure it's not in Windowed mode, even full screen Windowed. That got some for some hosed reason to me and it fixed it when I changed it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The Sharmat posted:

That sword south of Fyke Isle I mentioned is only guarded by level 8 drowners or something if I remember and is superior to the Viper sword.
I think that during my playthrough they were level 4, maybe it got changed in a patch. Anyway here's the spot shown on the map because it's basically the best treasure spot for a low level character on the entire map:

Apart from the chest and treasures on the island itself (make sure to really walk all over it, some things are hidden in the corners) there are additionally like 5 chests underwater in ship debris so dive really attentively all over the place.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah there's also one of the Wolf School Gear diagrams there so you can knock one out early.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
That's enhanced or superior, nothing that you can craft without having the basic version from Kaer Morhen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah I know, but it still saves you having to backtrack there. That island can't be fast traveled to and is pretty out of the way.