Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Nutsngum posted:

That cant really have been on the table. As good as Dangerfield is, picks 2 and 3 in last years draft would make Adelaide a dominant force in only a few years.

Press got the idea from somewhere and kept running with it, but Melbourne have always denied it and indicated they would have gone 2 or 3 (plus weight), not 2 and 3. I think they approached us with 3 and one or two SA lads on their list, and would have conceded 2 instead if we'd dealt and pushed, but we knocked them back.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

NTRabbit posted:

Press got the idea from somewhere and kept running with it, but Melbourne have always denied it and indicated they would have gone 2 or 3 (plus weight), not 2 and 3. I think they approached us with 3 and one or two SA lads on their list, and would have conceded 2 instead if we'd dealt and pushed, but we knocked them back.

Sounds much more likely. The list manger at Adelaide would have been fired for not going ahead with that kind of an offer.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I reckon Barlow will go into the media when his footy career finishes. His banter with Bruce was really good I thought. He seems to have a knack for it.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

NTRabbit posted:

probably toumpas, good decision by you imo.

For it to have gotten as far as being prepared to offer pick 2, you'd think we would have had to meet with him at some point last trade period and not been told no chance in hell.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Nutsngum posted:

Sounds much more likely. The list manger at Adelaide would have been fired for not going ahead with that kind of an offer.

Well, the giants wanted Stevie J for I think 4+7 last year apparently?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Also with the idea of him only signing a 1 year contract for a non-Geelong side, doesn't the national draft carry a minimum 2 year contract? Or is that not the case for someone who has previously been listed?

If they're talking about doing that through the PSD then :laffo:, what club wouldn't spend a PSD pick on 1 year of Dangerfield plus trade power next year if he goes ahead with leaving.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Well, the giants wanted Stevie J for I think 4+7 last year apparently?

Same as with Danger, no way that was a real offer.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Solemn Sloth posted:

Also with the idea of him only signing a 1 year contract for a non-Geelong side, doesn't the national draft carry a minimum 2 year contract? Or is that not the case for someone who has previously been listed?

If they're talking about doing that through the PSD then :laffo:, what club wouldn't spend a PSD pick on 1 year of Dangerfield plus trade power next year if he goes ahead with leaving.

Nobody but Geelong fans thinks this is going to go to the draft because we won't accept the compo pick, it's gonna be a hefty trade and even the Cats people have admitted the negotiations have been happening for a while - if they were blowing us away with an unmatchable deal there wouldn't be any talks at all.

Getting 9 this year lets us into the top 10 while trading 13 for someone good, and getting another top 10 pick with their first pick next year gives us a double first round dip at what is theoretically a better draft pool. I'll consider anything more than that a bonus for good negotiating.

Also, BLK is having a 60% off sale on all their 2015 AFL club range, that's Adelaide, Gold Coast, GWS, Brisbane, Richmond and the Bulldogs. $44 is an ace price for that Adelaide indigenous guernsey, gonna get me one

http://www.blksport.com/pro-teams/australian-football.htm

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 28, 2015

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

The Deadly Hume posted:

I wonder if he went easy on the drinks because he knew there'd be a fair chance he'd doing this.

Fyfe is having surgery today so there's that.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

redweird posted:

I reckon Barlow will go into the media when his footy career finishes. His banter with Bruce was really good I thought. He seems to have a knack for it.

He's done a few interviews on Grandstand this year and been very entertaining.

After watching Fyfe's acceptance speech and hearing other Freo peoples thoughts on him (which were much more honest and detailed than the usual boring quotes you get) he really should be made captain next year. That way if Pav decides to play on, he can play half a season worth of games and focus on helping the next lot of tall forwards coming through.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Guy McKenna has raised eyebrows after quipping that the potential arrival of trained pharmacist John Worsfold at Essendon is "maybe four years too late".

:drat:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

drunkill posted:

Fyfe is having surgery today so there's that.
Oh, of course. Still, not a bad reason to stay off the turps.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I think Cow Dude summed up most Freo supporters feelings about the GF pretty well:

Bruce: Who do the Docker boys really want to win, do they want the Eagles or the Hawks?

Nat: I don’t know which is worse, really.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Solemn Sloth posted:

some interesting tidbits:

cale hooker won essendon's b&f but didn't poll a vote

In addition to Adelaide's leading vote getter not being there next season, Gold Coasts two highest polling players will be gone next year too, Harley Bennel and Charlie Dixon

You're surprised that umpires are just as bad at awarding votes as they are at awarding free kicks?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I almost think the AFLPA MVP is a better award to win (which Fyfe snagged this year as well).

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Yeah, the Brownlow seems like it is only relevant because the AFL force it to be. In terms of what it signifies it is pretty meaningless.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The Deadly Hume posted:

I almost think the AFLPA MVP is a better award to win (which Fyfe snagged this year as well).

Yeah, that and club B&F is a far better indicator

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

The Deadly Hume posted:

i actually reckon the coachs player of the year award is more relevant, the players dont watch every game and i reckon they run with what the media tells them a fair bit, whereas the coaches vote after each game on who they thought was most effective

"The AFLCA Champion Player of the Year is voted on week to week by both of the Senior Coaches on a 5,4,3,2,1 basis. Each Senior Coach votes on their match only and any player suspensions are disregarded."

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

snaeksikn posted:

i actually reckon the coachs player of the year award is more relevant, the players dont watch every game and i reckon they run with what the media tells them a fair bit, whereas the coaches vote after each game on who they thought was most effective

"The AFLCA Champion Player of the Year is voted on week to week by both of the Senior Coaches on a 5,4,3,2,1 basis. Each Senior Coach votes on their match only and any player suspensions are disregarded."

That award isn't free from issues either, I've noticed that Ross Lyon at least, and perhaps others, have skewed the occasional set of votes after the game out of spite.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

So Adults wearing guernseys - favourite player number on the back, cool or social faux pas?

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
My 2 cents: At a football game? Totally fine. Just wearing it around like it's a normal item of clothing? Stop it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Yeah I just meant at the game

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I just got my new Crows indigenous top and I am going to wear it until it starts to smell, so there.

Also I'm annoyed because now that the season's basically over it's on sale for 44 bucks.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

Yeah I just meant at the game
Totally fine. Although I never get guernseys with numbers myself, just in case the player wearing the number gets poached or does something inappropriate.

Chairchucker posted:

I just got my new Crows indigenous top and I am going to wear it until it starts to smell, so there.

Also I'm annoyed because now that the season's basically over it's on sale for 44 bucks.
Wha they actually managed to not sell out. I wanted to get the Hawthorn one last year but it sold out, fortunately they used the same design this year. I think I'll wear the Power Rangers one to work on Friday though. :v:

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!

The Deadly Hume posted:

I think I'll wear the Power Rangers one to work on Friday though. :v:

No public holiday on the Murray?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

NTRabbit posted:

So Adults wearing guernseys - favourite player number on the back, cool or social faux pas?

I think I'd feel weird wearing the number of someone younger than me so I'd be down to just vince or lumumba

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

pkid posted:

No public holiday on the Murray?
Not north of it. We have the usual one on the Monday.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

The Deadly Hume posted:

Totally fine. Although I never get guernseys with numbers myself, just in case the player wearing the number gets poached or does something inappropriate.

Oh come on, guerneys without numbers are gross, you can get the number changed, Crippa 2016 inbound to add to my Murphy and Walks guerneys

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

I think I'd feel weird wearing the number of someone younger than me so I'd be down to just vince or lumumba

i got the jumper at the beginning of the year and putting numbers on was free, so confronted with the fact that we possessed absolutely no marquee players at the time i went with the number of the player in most highlight reels. hindsights a bitch and havent worn much of the number 38 this year

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The Deadly Hume posted:

Wha they actually managed to not sell out. I wanted to get the Hawthorn one last year but it sold out, fortunately they used the same design this year. I think I'll wear the Power Rangers one to work on Friday though. :v:

Sold out on the AFL site in all sizes smaller than 'couch', but I found the actual manufacturers' site for the Crows one.

http://www.blksport.com/

Which is where the sale is. They do a couple of the teams' uniforms, but not Hawks.

EDIT: Also I thought about getting Dangerfield or Cameron's number on mine but in the end decided not to.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

TG-Chrono posted:

Oh come on, guerneys without numbers are gross, you can get the number changed, Crippa 2016 inbound to add to my Murphy and Walks guerneys

Nah, I think it's weird seeing adults with numbers on their jumpers.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Think I'm gonna get Eddie Betts' #18 on the back of my indigenous guernsey. It was either that or Brodie Smith's #33, but indigenous player number on the indigenous guernsey seems a better fit, unless I go old school and get 23, and hope Cameron fills into it.

Scott Thompson is now the only Crow older than I am :smith:

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Thanks to Fletcher retiring there's only one player left in the AFL that qualifies for me. :barf:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Largepotato posted:

Thanks to Fletcher retiring there's only one player left in the AFL that qualifies for me. :barf:

:getin:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

snaeksikn posted:

i got the jumper at the beginning of the year and putting numbers on was free, so confronted with the fact that we possessed absolutely no marquee players at the time i went with the number of the player in most highlight reels. hindsights a bitch and havent worn much of the number 38 this year

My girlfriend was thinking about getting Howe's number on her jumper at the start of the year but I advised against it because I thought he'd probably go at the end of the year. Ended up getting Viney which is a solid choice imo.

Also, no marquee players at the start of the year? Your lack of faith is disturbing.

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Sep 29, 2015

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

also this years jumpers are crap i reckon, i dont like the material and the neck hole is much tighter than in years past, i feel likes its trying to choke me

i suspect the jumper cut is to blame for the st kilda loss

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
I am older than every West Coast player :negative:

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Spedman posted:

Nah, I think it's weird seeing adults with numbers on their jumpers.

I have '0' on mine to avoid the weird notion of idolizing anyone younger than me

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I'd be 5th oldest on the Eagles list :stare:

Guess that's confirmation I'll never play footy again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Marcus Bontempelli won the AFL Coaches best young gun award. He finished off with 557 votes, Patrick Cripps got 527 and McGovern finished third with 362 votes. Kinda ridiculous that there was such a massive gap between second and third although I suppose McGovern did only play the 14 games this season.

Edit: Adam Kingsley won Assistant coach of the year and David Wheadon received a lifetime achievement award.

EDIT:

Allan Jeans Senior Coach of the Year present by Monjon Australia
1. Luke Beveridge - Western Bulldogs (365 votes)

2. Adam Simpson – West Coast – (305 votes)

3. Ross Lyon – Fremantle (116 votes)

Was pretty much a two horse race here also

Testekill fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 29, 2015

• Locked thread