Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

T-Bone posted:

If anyone hasn't used the gilt Jet deal yet you could walk away with one of these GMT games for $25-$30 (with free shipping) after the discount:

https://jet.com/search?term=GMT%20games

Has anyone played any of them?

Page is experiencing high load, what is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

cenotaph posted:

Page is experiencing high load, what is it?

Saints in Armor
Mr. Madison's War: The Incredible War of 1812
No Retreat: The North African Front
Hoplite
Blood & Roses
The Supreme Commander

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Dear GMT,

Please don't include blank counters in the totals in your component lists. It makes people fret when they buy a used copy of Navajo Wars and find there's 21 fewer counters than you list.

Cheers

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

CaptainApathyUK posted:

Dear GMT,

Please don't include blank counters in the totals in your component lists. It makes people fret when they buy a used copy of Navajo Wars and find there's 21 fewer counters than you list.

Cheers

:agreed: I had the same issue a month or so back and was very unhappy. Found a scan of the countersheets though and it turns out I'm only missing one counter. Much better situation.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Recent games trip report:

Wow, Space Empires 4X is a lot of fun
Wow, Churchill is a lot of fun

Welp that's it for this update, stay tuned for next edition if I happen to win this raffle for Advanced Third Reich.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Dumb Churchill question:

If I place Offensive Support into a front, they're removed after the battle right? Or... do they stay? For that matter, German/Japanese reserves go back to being unused after the battle right?

I can't find anything in the rules to support one way or the other.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

Dumb Churchill question:

If I place Offensive Support into a front, they're removed after the battle right? Or... do they stay? For that matter, German/Japanese reserves go back to being unused after the battle right?

I can't find anything in the rules to support one way or the other.

You already got answered in IRC but I agree that Churchill's rules are missing some things, like a clearly laid out cleanup step.
Like the thing about offensive supports is somewhere in 7.71 without any particular emphasis, and reserves are rearranged in 7.61, presumably.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Played FitL as ARVN, US managed to win! Really enjoyable game, it went the distance.

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

Last week's game of Genesis went ok. Got the turns down to 2.5 hours in a 4 player game, got through 3 turns of the starting scenario. I liked it a bit more this time around, we actually had some player vs. player battles. I think we're gonna try one of the later scenarios when we play it again, the first couple of turns are ok for learning the game, but nothing really interesting happens. One thing I still don't like is that the game can be a bit too static. You've only got one proper move per chit (4 chits per turn), and your movement points are d6 + your leader's campaign rating. So if your leader sucks or your roll sucks or your leader got killed, you don't have any way to mitigate your disadvantage.

Yesterday's game of Churchill was a blast, though. Played as Roosevelt, in the end Churchill won by a large margin, and we failed to defeat the Axis. I love pretty much everything about this game. The mechanics are great, the rules are intuitive, the playtime is reasonable (a bit less than three hours for the tournament scenario on our first playthrough). But the thing I love most is that you have basically no downtime during play. I really want to get a copy, but the €90ish price tag(with shipping) is killing me.

kalthir fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Sep 28, 2015

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

:boom:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Is that from U.S. Civil War or something??

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
If you have friends willing to play a long rear end wargame I cannot suggest Here I Stand / Virgin Queen enough. What beautiful games. I would love to know if there are groups playing it on SA.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

turboraton posted:

If you have friends willing to play a long rear end wargame I cannot suggest Here I Stand / Virgin Queen enough. What beautiful games. I would love to know if there are groups playing it on SA.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3682021&pagenumber=1

We're on turn 6. Bonus post

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Ottoman attempts to avoid battle: 5 + 2 = 7
Avoid Battle Attempt is unsuccessful. Naval Combat is conducted in Ionian Sea.

Spain rolls 12 dice for Galleys and one die for Santa Cruz: 4,3,3,2,3,2,1,2,1,4,3,3,2
Spain scores no hits.

Ottoman rolls two dice for Corsairs: 3,2
Ottoman scores no hits.

Per PM, Spain plays Galleasses as a response to add five dice to his roll: 3,2,2,3,6
Spain scores one hit.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

It's been an interesting ride. Almost wish I had saved all the board images so it could be followed from the beginning, but it's worked out well enough.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

turboraton posted:

HIS/VQ get split opinions in this thread. On the one hand, nifty interrelation between mechanics.

On the other, motherfucking 5+ rolls for everything (exacerbated by pools too small to regress to the mean). The swingy dice soured me pretty bad.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

silvergoose posted:

Is that from U.S. Civil War or something??

Blue vs. Grey

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

How dare they sully the name of Field Marshal Bernard "The Law" Law Montgomery, The Monty, The Spartan General, The One And Only, 1st Viscount of Alamein, KG, GCB, DSO, PC, victorious and triumphant at Alamein, in Sicily, Almost Victorious in Market Garden, and Protector of the Realm!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I somehow got in a death spiral at work today and started reading Case Blue session reports. That game is the dream.

OCS in general looks like a fun system to read endlessly about and never play. Logistics :love:

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

T-Bone posted:

OCS in general looks like a fun system to read endlessly about and never play. Logistics :love:

OCS is actually fun to play too. The rules are surprisingly simple, it's just that there's million things that you could be doing with your army and figuring out which ones make sense is kinda hard at first.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Gutter Owl posted:

HIS/VQ get split opinions in this thread. On the one hand, nifty interrelation between mechanics.

On the other, motherfucking 5+ rolls for everything (exacerbated by pools too small to regress to the mean). The swingy dice soured me pretty bad.

I've only played about one-and-a-half games of HIS and from what I can tell of the PbP game VQ is better although I'm more enthusiastic about the HIS time period. The religious gameplay at least isn't so messy. The 5+ rolls are infuriating and it can be disheartening to realize that another player is going to win and there is literally nothing you can do about it. I would love to play with a group that actually wants to be involved in a political wargame but all the people I know prefer merciless free-for-all stabfests and don't mind scuttling a game if it means player A gets to rail player B for some irl bullshit grudge.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Gutter Owl posted:

To each its own I guess. What's with the 5+ hate btw?

PS: That naval roll was glorious.
PS2: Count me in for any other HIS/VQ game.

turboraton fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 28, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Was just gonna repost that 12 misses post but you mentioned it. The problem with VQ is that there isn't only the X+ to hit for battles, but every single way to get VP in the game requires a dice roll of some kind, a dice roll that most of the times you have no way of influencing what-so-ever. For me, what attracts me to wargames is the ability to influence the probabilities of the board according to what kind of resources I have: the skill comes in applying those resources and minimizing the damage that could be caused if the dice do not go my way: as such, I like CRT-based systems because even if I get unlucky, I still stand a chance of doing some damage if my combat ratio is high enough (in essence, I'm just seeing how much damage is caused, not if I win or lose the battle). When favourable ratios can't be reached, the dice make things EXCITING because I know that I've willingly taken a gamble.

VQ doesn't provide that experience for me. The only time combat works well in the game is large number of units versus 1-2 units. The problem comes in when you have big battles: the probabilities are almost entirely meaningless for the number of dice that you are rolling and therefore ratios of forces are entirely meaningless. With a CRT you have a defined range of possible outcomes and the CRT can be designed to favour the attacker or defender (a good example of the latter is the CRT for Red Winter). With X+ to hits, the designer completely lets any possible design implication to the whims of the dice. Defenders or Attackers in VQ/HIS almost don't matter (the only thing it affects is sieges, but we are talking about large-scale battles here).

Even then, the combat would be acceptable in VQ/HIS if it wasn't for the fact that EVERYTHING requires a dice roll. I don't feel in control of a game of VQ/HIS and that's one of the main reasons why I don't rate the series very highly.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

turboraton posted:

To each its own I guess. What's with the 5+ hate btw?

PS: That naval roll was glorious.

5+ to hit isn't the problem, so much as the lack of meaningful ways of interacting with it other then throwing more dice at the problem. War of the Ring, for instance, has rerolls, uses cards to give dice modifiers or other bonuses, and caps the total dice in each combat.

Edit:

Tekopo posted:

VQ issues

All this, too

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Dice are dice. Dunno why people feel that a bad roll is the end of the world. In your game, Spain is hosed up not because he failed to hit dice in 12 hits but because of his decisions in the early turns despite having a blessed start . Spain has collapsed and everyone is out there for the win but him and STILL I see people in the thread telling him what to do or who to hit rofl.

I believe the beauty of both VQ and HIS is that you have your reliable VPS but in order to win you NEED to enter in conflict with another player. Sometimes players, specially beginners, are afraid to enter such confict and decide to go for the 'safe' route, which with enough games I can totally assure you, it never comes and it is ALMOST NEVER SAFE AT ALL. I'm mostly a HRE so I saw the Turn 1 free marriage to Spain for an Alliance that gave him NOTHING.' You say you can't influence the dice, you can. If you replay the game long enough you can totally see how both Ottos and HRE could have maximized their chance to win in their war. Any of them could have gotten a heavy advantage (unless dice hosed them up)

And then you have diplomacy. You can literally go from power to power asking for events that fills your interests in exchange of stuff. To each its own but the mix of Diplomacy, Maximizing Odds and Historical Fluff just makes this game delightful for me.

PS: Thanks for linking me to the session btw. I LOVE reading them :3

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I like Star Wars: Armada's die system (and also Xwing I guess but I haven't played that and roll to defend is the devil) which fundamentally is a x+ to hit system but has myriad opportunities to reroll dice, change their faces, spend certain die faces, cancel enemy rolls, and mitigate incoming hits. The thing there is that manipulating your rolls is almost a subgame itself, as opposed to just telling you who hit.

e: and yeah I'm not blaming the dice for doing poorly, I'd have thought it was dumb if the Ottomans had had similar rolls or if I'd been on top of it all.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

e: and yeah I'm not blaming the dice for doing poorly, I'd have thought it was dumb if the Ottomans had had similar rolls or if I'd been on top of it all.

it's ok fam. In my very first game of HIS as France I left Paris to its luck after an a failed war against Hasburgs (coming not from Besancon but from Navarre). Now after some games on my shoulder I scratch my head wondering, how the gently caress did that happen. Because unlike what was said before, everytime I replay that set of events in my head there are SO MANY ways I could have prevented that.

turboraton fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 28, 2015

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Taran_Wanderer posted:

5+ to hit isn't the problem, so much as the lack of meaningful ways of interacting with it other then throwing more dice at the problem. War of the Ring, for instance, has rerolls, uses cards to give dice modifiers or other bonuses, and caps the total dice in each combat.

Even more importantly, WotR is an iterative combat system built on retreat decisions. You roll a limited dice pool, take your casualties, then choose whether you want to keep grinding or withdraw. This gives you choices to make in response to the RNG.

Whereas in VQ, it's all one-shot rolls. Did the hammer fall down? Lol welp, get hosed buddy.

(And I say this as someone who's almost unilaterally winning these nonsense rolls. I should probably be all-but-eliminated given my awful opening strategy, but I've gotten to watch everyone who could punish me trip over the RNG and break their teeth on my boots.)

EDIT: I'll admit, though, I have a heavy anti-dice bias. My wargaming preferences are almost all fixed or mostly-fixed resolution systems like COIN, Sekigahara, AGoT, et cetera.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 28, 2015

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Gutter Owl posted:

Even more importantly, WotR is an iterative combat system built on retreat decisions. You roll a limited dice pool, take your casualties, then choose whether you want to keep grinding or withdraw. This gives you choices to make in response to the RNG.

Whereas in VQ, it's all one-shot rolls. Did the hammer fall down? Lol welp, get hosed buddy.

(And I say this as someone who's almost unilaterally winning these nonsense rolls. I should probably be all-but-eliminated given my awful opening strategy, but I've gotten to watch everyone who could punish me trip over the RNG and break their teeth on my boots.)

thats the thing with VQ. Shouldnt put your victories on the dice but on your decisions. He has 4 mercs for hire, thats a card or an event with good diplomacy. he sees you declaring war, he could use his home card to give a card to another power for again a play of event or another card. then he gets one extra card. With just the basics he has the same cards than you and plays on a fortified defence. All he has to do is reinforce his troops and he defends with 4+1+1 (if leader) vs your maximum of 12/2+1. Sure he can fall, but so can you and you ARE a war with Spain so the moment you go bulldoze HRE, Spain can easily eat you alive since he is not at war with anyone but you and he has the biggest dick (hand size) out there. Granted that would let the prots roll out France as well but... thats the beauty of the game.

I hope you dont give up on the game and try it a second time. I love it and would love to play it with goons.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

turboraton posted:

Dice are dice. Dunno why people feel that a bad roll is the end of the world. In your game, Spain is hosed up not because he failed to hit dice in 12 hits but because of his decisions in the early turns despite having a blessed start . Spain has collapsed and everyone is out there for the win but him and STILL I see people in the thread telling him what to do or who to hit rofl.

I believe the beauty of both VQ and HIS is that you have your reliable VPS but in order to win you NEED to enter in conflict with another player. Sometimes players, specially beginners, are afraid to enter such confict and decide to go for the 'safe' route, which with enough games I can totally assure you, it never comes and it is ALMOST NEVER SAFE AT ALL. I'm mostly a HRE so I saw the Turn 1 free marriage to Spain for an Alliance that gave him NOTHING.' You say you can't influence the dice, you can. If you replay the game long enough you can totally see how both Ottos and HRE could have maximized their chance to win in their war. Any of them could have gotten a heavy advantage (unless dice hosed them up)

And then you have diplomacy. You can literally go from power to power asking for events that fills your interests in exchange of stuff. To each its own but the mix of Diplomacy, Maximizing Odds and Historical Fluff just makes this game delightful for me.

PS: Thanks for linking me to the session btw. I LOVE reading them :3
Hey man, I didn't say that I hate the game and I still think there is quite a lot in the game in terms of how the diplomacy is resolved, but I still have issues in terms of how the dice are resolved. The only reason why I would actually still play VQ/HIS is the diplomacy alone, because the combat in game is just a numbers game and that, to me, is not something interesting. For example, the reason why I am enjoying the PBP is not because of combat but because I, as France, feel like I'm being attacked from all sides and that, in terms of the game and the historicity, is a good feeling.

Also, I feel there are some sides that actually have a benefit for NOT being in conflict. HRE is all about that, actually: of course the Ottos are going to come for you, but if you manage to remain completely alone you will win thanks to the bonuses you get for artists/scientiests (even though these still go down to being able to roll well).

So yeah, I can concede how there are ways through Diplomacy to help you win the game, but even your very own arguments are contradictory, or otherwise you wouldn't have placed that 'unless dice hosed them up' at the end of the sentence. I have issues with wargames that are purely numbers games and I have issues with VPs that are gotten only through dice rolls as well. One of the war games that I detest the most is actually Wellington (which I gave away for a fiver): it has the same combat as HIS/VQ but it is a two-side game without any diplomacy at all.

I don't hate the games, I'm just disappointed that I don't like them more.

EDIT: Also I've played VQ about 4 times and HIS about 2/3 times, so it's not like I haven't given both games a fair shot.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Well the other issue is it's been what, a year since we started? Goddamn it takes a while forpbf.

Too bad the FITL game fizzled out.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also let's get it out of the way before it becomes a big discussion: we are all wargamers here and more than anything, wargamers do love dice, or we wouldn't be in the hobby. One of my current loves is swingy-as-gently caress dice-fucker game Empire of the Sun: the thing about EotS is that there is so much more to the game when it comes to combat and that is what makes the game work (as well as that, the combat results still provide a range of results that doesn't go from 0 to 'all the hits').

i will cut any motherfucker that brings out the point that Napoleon's Triumph is my favourite game

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Tekopo posted:

i will cut any motherfucker that brings out the point that Napoleon's Triumph is my favourite game

Don't worry, we'll get Rutibex to invent some fun house rule to fix that.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Remember that HRE also has the Intercession! Also holy poo poo, a year! Why not try 1 turn per weekend on Vassal/Mumble for the laughs?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Lichtenstein posted:

Don't worry, we'll get Rutibex to invent some fun house rule to fix that.
:argh:

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Dice should be printed on cards or forced into the CRT ghetto.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

cenotaph posted:

Dice should be printed on cards or forced into the CRT ghetto.
Hey combat commander buddy :3:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I kinda want to play EOTS a turn a week or so but idk if I have the time with school. Also turboraton have you played any of the COIN games? They have a similar niche (relatively heavy multiplayer wargames with lots of diplomacy and backstabbing) but are a little faster and less swingy.

e: poo poo this reminds me I need to take a turn in Churchill

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

ADP is literally the gold-standard for diplomatic games for me at the moment. There isn't quite as much of a mindfuck in terms of alliances as showcased within that game. Whenever I play it, I play as the government because it is still to this day the most enjoyable side I have ever played in any diplomatic game.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

turboraton posted:

Remember that HRE also has the Intercession! Also holy poo poo, a year! Why not try 1 turn per weekend on Vassal/Mumble for the laughs?

A wide variety of timezones and personal schedules. It actually started out at a good clip and a big chunk of the time is this turn and the last. Also bleh to the French religious struggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Obfuscation posted:

OCS is actually fun to play too. The rules are surprisingly simple, it's just that there's million things that you could be doing with your army and figuring out which ones make sense is kinda hard at first.

I echo this. The skill ceiling is also really, really high on it so you can keep learning and getting better for years and years. I've been playing for over a decade and I still learn something new every game.