Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Another option is a bottled water pump, with 5 gallon bottle delivery. Doesn't make much sense just for clean frog water, but for drinking water, RO water doesn't necessarily taste good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jadunk
Feb 27, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

Filters don't seem to cost that much. The systems I'm seeing on Amazon all have packs you can buy that give you like a years' worth of filters for maybe $20ish, which is cheap and convenient. I definitely want to avoid a system that just doesn't work, though, and I don't have any sense of what is a "good brand."

I was hoping the plumbing thread would know, but I haven't gotten a response other than yours. Thanks though.

If you can get a years worth of RO filters for $20 bucks they probably don't do much more than take out particulate.

Leperflesh posted:

I was hoping the plumbing thread would know, but I haven't gotten a response other than yours. Thanks though.

I personally don't, nor have I known any plumber that really likes under sink RO's or had one they felt comfortable recommending.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I've got a persistent and very annoying knocking sound coming from my plumbing. It appears to be in the drain lines--if you fill up the kitchen sink or the tub there's no noise when the water is running, but once you empty it there's a loud thunk that repeats every 10 seconds or so. The interval gets farther apart after the drain is opened. It does seem to stop eventually, but even very late at night when no one's used the plumbing for quite a while there's still an occasional sound. Everything is draining well, but it possible this could be due to a partial clog that's not severe enough to block draining entirely? We've lived in the house for around 18 months or so, but it's only been the last couple weeks that this has been happening.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

My parents have an under-sink RO unit for about 25 years now. The whole thing died about 6-7 years ago and had to be replaced, so I'd guess they got roughly 15-20 years out of their first unit.

It requires annual maintenance, which is $30 for the prefilter and the resin thingy, and then time to drain the entire system and check/redo the precharge on the expansion tank. If that turns out bad, then the expansion tank needs attention. I think they're on their third or 4th expansion tank; there's a diaphragm inside which can rot or whatever.

Once, they got some kind of mold/mildew/algae on the "pure" side that took about $200 in service calls to get cleaned up. Once all the chlorine is out of the water, it can get contaminated with life. The fittings are plastic, and a couple of times moving stuff under the sink cracked a fitting, leading to a leak. That's an annoying thing to wake up to, since you hardly notice the tiny drip when it happens.

Now that that's out of the way: I love the things. Theirs had a 3gal tank on it, and I think we only drained it a couple of times. We used it daily for ice, water for the dog, coffee, and drinking in a household of 4. Even when the tank is 100% empty, the unit will still trickle out water, so it's not like you're totally without when the tank is dry.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

stubblyhead posted:

I've got a persistent and very annoying knocking sound coming from my plumbing. It appears to be in the drain lines--if you fill up the kitchen sink or the tub there's no noise when the water is running, but once you empty it there's a loud thunk that repeats every 10 seconds or so. The interval gets farther apart after the drain is opened. It does seem to stop eventually, but even very late at night when no one's used the plumbing for quite a while there's still an occasional sound. Everything is draining well, but it possible this could be due to a partial clog that's not severe enough to block draining entirely? We've lived in the house for around 18 months or so, but it's only been the last couple weeks that this has been happening.
Check the drain vent (the pipe that goes up through the roof) and see if it's clogged. Be careful checking it though, because if it is there's a good chance it's bees or wasps nesting and the last thing you want is to be on the roof and get a faceful of bees.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jadunk posted:

If you can get a years worth of RO filters for $20 bucks they probably don't do much more than take out particulate.

I assume it's because it's on Amazon, but I'm seeing some systems that have filter packs costing $50+. So I suppose quality varies.

quote:

I personally don't, nor have I known any plumber that really likes under sink RO's or had one they felt comfortable recommending.

That's discouraging. Is it just because they're finicky and need a lot of maintenance?

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

My parents have an under-sink RO unit for about 25 years now. The whole thing died about 6-7 years ago and had to be replaced, so I'd guess they got roughly 15-20 years out of their first unit.

It requires annual maintenance, which is $30 for the prefilter and the resin thingy, and then time to drain the entire system and check/redo the precharge on the expansion tank. If that turns out bad, then the expansion tank needs attention. I think they're on their third or 4th expansion tank; there's a diaphragm inside which can rot or whatever.

Once, they got some kind of mold/mildew/algae on the "pure" side that took about $200 in service calls to get cleaned up. Once all the chlorine is out of the water, it can get contaminated with life. The fittings are plastic, and a couple of times moving stuff under the sink cracked a fitting, leading to a leak. That's an annoying thing to wake up to, since you hardly notice the tiny drip when it happens.

Now that that's out of the way: I love the things. Theirs had a 3gal tank on it, and I think we only drained it a couple of times. We used it daily for ice, water for the dog, coffee, and drinking in a household of 4. Even when the tank is 100% empty, the unit will still trickle out water, so it's not like you're totally without when the tank is dry.

I might be able to avoid some of that sort of headache, at least in as much as I'm quite capable of doing my own work on the system as needed. Also I wouldn't have a 25-year-old system of course.

I'm pretty well determined to get one. I'm just not settled on a brand or price point. I'll do more research. Thanks for the advice, guys.

e. Based on a lot of reviews, I'm leaning towards this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N2941T2
It has a pump which means it doesn't waste as much water, it adds magnesium and calcium back to the water to make it more palatable, and it has perfect reviews.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 25, 2015

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjxKJXvRLAk

I just noticed this weird pulsing in my bathroom sink the other day and now I'm noticing it in the kitchen too. Should I be concerned? I'm on city water, no idea what the pressure is like from the city, but as far as I know we don't have super high pressure water or anything, the subdivision I live in was built in the late 80s/90s.

PuTTY riot fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 26, 2015

Jadunk
Feb 27, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

That's discouraging. Is it just because they're finicky and need a lot of maintenance?

Most of them aren't very well made, require a lot of maintenance, etc. (also wasting 4+ gallons of water per gallon produced is a pretty bad efficiency and that's average on new RO's.) I generally tell people to just get a softener / conditioner + carbon filter. For almost everyone it's the better option.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Hi,

I've got a problem with my boiler. Yesterday morning I noticed a lot of water was flowing through the pipes around my water tank after my shower for a lot longer than normal. Also water was flowing through what I assume is an overflow pipe. I also noticed the pressure gauge had dropped to zero. I found the tap for the pressure gauge and got it back up to 1 bar where it should be and turned the hot water back on to heat up for about 45 mins. The water seemed to be slightly warmer than the cold tap for a bit but you wouldn't even describe it as luke warm really. My central heating is running fine and my boiler unit which is in the kitchen away from the tank, pipes and pressure gauge has the lights that come on to show normal operation.

I guess my questions are, would the drop in pressure cause the cold water?

How long does it take to warm up a water tank, am i going to have to leave it on for about 5 hours or something to get the water back up to temperature?

Would there be some other reason hot water isn't getting through somehow?

Here's a picture of the equipment for reference. http://imgur.com/a/AunxG

I've already booked an engineer to come out on Monday at the usual high rate. But I'm convinced this might be something very simple but I just don't know enough to just wait or fix, be great if someone new anything about this little problem.

Thanks

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Leperflesh posted:

Is this a good thread to ask about under-sink reverse osmosis water systems?

I want to buy one and install it. I've wanted one for years, because I need to use chemical-free water for my frogs - I've been buying gallon jugs of distilled water at 99c a gallon for years and that's just wasteful and stupid. Now I'm more motivated to finally do it because, probably in response to the drought (I'm in California), our water is being heavily treated and it tastes really bad. Like drinking out of a swimming pool, there's a noticeable odor of chlorine.

I need a system that will remove chloramine as well as chlorine. Might as well remove whatever else is in there. I'd spend up to like $500, although I'm seeing a lot of systems around the $300 mark that seem fine from an uneducated first-look standpoint.

But like... do I need a 5-stage, or 6? or 7? Is there a preferred brand? What would be overkill? My municipal water supply has plenty of pressure and my wife and I use way way less than the water company tells me would be "normal" so I'm not terribly concerned about the wastage rate - we'd use maybe a couple or three gallons a day, just for drinking, ice, cooking, and for the pets.

RO's aren't bad and require low maintenance for the ones I've dealt with. The filter changes replacement are usually around $50 or so. Shop around for quotes with a water treatment company. Stay away from Kinetico though. They are nice but over priced. You can get a nice one made by Pentek.

Most RO's are pretty simple in design. You have a Pre filter to remove some particulate. A membrane which is a highly woven filter to remove the rest of the constituents. Then a post carbon filter to remove lead, chlorine, etc. The membrane should last between 7-10 years. If a company comes out to install one for you they can run between $1000-$2,000 (depends on where you live etc) That is a lot of 5 gallon bottles you could get for that cost.
One test you can do on any water is a T.D.S. (total dissolved solids) test with a meter.

http://www.amazon.com/HM-Digital-TDS-EZ-Measurement-Resolution/dp/B002C0A7ZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443286605&sr=8-1&keywords=tds+meter

There is a stand alone pitcher i've seen that does make Zero Tds water that you can store in your fridge. It will make almost pure RO water but i'm not sure how expensive the filters are.

http://www.amazon.com/ZeroWater-ZP-010-10-Cup-Pitcher/dp/B0073PZ6O0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443286653&sr=8-1&keywords=zero+pitcher

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

we have a zero pitcher.. and I can't imagine trying to use it for gallons at a time, it's slow as poo poo.. MAYBE if you were filling up a big jug when you thought of it day to day for a few days it would be okay. But it's sure going to annoy you to fill up / replace the water in your tank when 1 gallon takes 10 min to filter.

Seriously just buy a big rear end 5 gal or 10 gal jug of water and call it a day.

edit: words

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 27, 2015

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

tater_salad posted:

we have a zero pitcher.. and I can't imagine trying to use it for gallons at a time, it's slow as poo poo.. MAYBE if you were filling up a big jug when you thought of it day to day for a few days it would be okay. But it's sure going to annoy you to fill up / replace the water in your tank when 1 gallon takes 10 min to filter.

Seriously just buy a big rear end 5 gal or 10 gal jug of water and call it a day.

edit: words

I didn't realize how much water he was using at a time. And the problem with the RO is they don't usually have a huge storage tank unless you upgrade it.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PuTTY riot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjxKJXvRLAk

I just noticed this weird pulsing in my bathroom sink the other day and now I'm noticing it in the kitchen too. Should I be concerned? I'm on city water, no idea what the pressure is like from the city, but as far as I know we don't have super high pressure water or anything, the subdivision I live in was built in the late 80s/90s.

What weird pulsing thing? Seems like a normal sink to me. You can always remove, clean, and re-seat/replace the aerators though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Right now, I use about a gallon every week or two. I mist the geckos and frogs with it, and pour some into the toad's tank. In addition to being safe for the frogs, the mister won't gradually scale or lime up when I use distilled water.

If I had an R/O system, I'd also use it for my own drinking water, for making ice, cooking, and for my cats. Right now we use tap water and I don't like it much.

I would not pay someone to install a system. I've already done plenty of piping in my house, including soldering copper; I can handle unscrewing things under the sink.

This is the system I'm probably going to get. It's $500 but it has perfect reviews (including on sites not on Amazon), specifically removes chloramines, and the pump means it wastes a lot less water. My only concern is whether having it add calcium and magnesium back to the water (while nice for drinking) might gradually clog my mister.

I'm also wondering. I know typically the undersink systems just dump the waste water down the drain. How hard would it be for me to run a drain line down through the floor and out to the back yard? At least it'd be watering my plants.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
The added calcium and magnesium will definitely scale up your mister.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hmm.

OK well I guess I'll go for a normal 5-stage rather than 6-stage. Although they (Home Master) claim softening the water makes the seals and stuff in the system last longer vs. the "slightly acidic" water that comes out of the R/O filter. (I thought pure water was perfectly neutral, but I'm not a chemist.)

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Hmm.

OK well I guess I'll go for a normal 5-stage rather than 6-stage. Although they (Home Master) claim softening the water makes the seals and stuff in the system last longer vs. the "slightly acidic" water that comes out of the R/O filter. (I thought pure water was perfectly neutral, but I'm not a chemist.)

The john guest fittings on the RO are really easy to replace. You can reuse the fitting and the pipe in most cases when you do it.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Demineralized water can be much more corrosive than ordinary tap water. It doesn't have a bunch of calcium and magnesium ions in it, so when it comes into contact with anything that can exchange ions, it will be much further from equilibrium, and so it will take those ions much faster.

Also, calcium carbonate "scale", while generally quite annoying, protects whatever is under it from corrosion.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My Pro Mist system uses a pump to spray a fine mist through a couple of misting heads. Those heads will gradually clog if the water has dissolved minerals, I assume. I can stick them in de-liming solution occasionally, or, just replace them when they clog (they cost around $10 each, and I use two right now, so that's not a huge expense). If I have to pick between an expensive RO system needing parts replaced more frequently, vs. a cheaper misting system needing parts replaced more frequently, I suppose I should err on the side of getting the mineralizing RO system.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

My Pro Mist system uses a pump to spray a fine mist through a couple of misting heads. Those heads will gradually clog if the water has dissolved minerals, I assume. I can stick them in de-liming solution occasionally, or, just replace them when they clog (they cost around $10 each, and I use two right now, so that's not a huge expense). If I have to pick between an expensive RO system needing parts replaced more frequently, vs. a cheaper misting system needing parts replaced more frequently, I suppose I should err on the side of getting the mineralizing RO system.

SideNote: If you want a cheap solution to soak the mister heads in. White vinegar will eat all the calcium in 20 minutes. Just let the head be submerged in it and it will make quick of any water build up.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Debated between posting here and fix it fast, but here goes. I was cutting out some previously water damaged drywall today with an oscillating tool and nicked a dwv drain pipe. I can get the tip of my nail in there, maybe a 1/16th inch deep gouge? Should I be concerned since it isn't pressurized? Would it be prudent to coat it with some epoxy or do I need to go balls out and piece in a flexible coupling? Only concern with that is that the pipe is so close to the drywall as it is, it might bow out the patched drywall.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
It should be fine. I would slap on some JB Weld and be done with it.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

SuicidalSmurf posted:

Debated between posting here and fix it fast, but here goes. I was cutting out some previously water damaged drywall today with an oscillating tool and nicked a dwv drain pipe. I can get the tip of my nail in there, maybe a 1/16th inch deep gouge? Should I be concerned since it isn't pressurized? Would it be prudent to coat it with some epoxy or do I need to go balls out and piece in a flexible coupling? Only concern with that is that the pipe is so close to the drywall as it is, it might bow out the patched drywall.

What type of pipe is it? ( ABS, PVC, Cast iron, Copper)

If its ABS or PVC (i'm assuming it is , since you easily cut it.) Use the glue that bonds the pipe to its fittings to fill the cut.

Another way to fix a leak in a pinch is put a flat rubber mat around the pipe and use 3 hose clamps on it to clamp it on. I've seen that hold on a line with 50psi on it.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Actually as I mentioned above here is where I learned about this trick to with a rubber flat mat.

A new maintenance worker was trying to hang something on a wall that he was told there were metal studs. He used a self tapping drill bit. Instead of a metal stud he hit a 3" Black Iron Hydronic heating line.

It was towards the end of winter, we couldn't drain down the entire line to fix it so someone showed me this trick.

It held for months with no issue till the heating line was drained down and welded to fix it.
If anyone was wondering how long a Black Iron pipe takes to drill, I took the a similar screw and drilled into a black iron pipe. It took over 20 seconds of straight drilling to drill into the pipe.

Before

After
[i]

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

Actually as I mentioned above here is where I learned about this trick to with a rubber flat mat.

A new maintenance worker was trying to hang something on a wall that he was told there were metal studs. He used a self tapping drill bit. Instead of a metal stud he hit a 3" Black Iron Hydronic heating line.

It was towards the end of winter, we couldn't drain down the entire line to fix it so someone showed me this trick.

It held for months with no issue till the heating line was drained down and welded to fix it.
If anyone was wondering how long a Black Iron pipe takes to drill, I took the a similar screw and drilled into a black iron pipe. It took over 20 seconds of straight drilling to drill into the pipe.

Before

After
[i]

That heating line is sure close to the drywall, I'm sure it showed up on a stud finder. Still doesn't excuse 20 seconds of drilling to get through a "metal stud" though.

They actually make a commercial version of the pipe clamp & gasket trick. Back when I worked at a much more ghetto building I had one hold 12 psi of steam for two years. Might still be holding.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
How long should I let the silicone cure before running water after re-installing a bathroom sink drain?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

therobit posted:

How long should I let the silicone cure before running water after re-installing a bathroom sink drain?

However long it says on the pack? It will depend on the silicone I would think.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Unfortunately the package does not say. I just bought some 100% silicone in a tube. I guess I will just wait 24 hours or something.

Jadunk
Feb 27, 2013

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

Before

I'm surprised the screw didn't hold pressure. I've seen small bathroom cabinets hung off screws into copper not cause a problem for years. (it only started leaking because the screw had rusted away)

therobit posted:

Assuming you used actual silicone caulking not latex caulking you should be able to run water pretty much immediately.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Jadunk posted:

I'm surprised the screw didn't hold pressure. I've seen small bathroom cabinets hung off screws into copper not cause a problem for years. (it only started leaking because the screw had rusted away)

Assuming you used actual silicone caulking not latex caulking you should be able to run water pretty much immediately.

Thanks. I can allow my family to use the bathroom sink again.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Why are you using sillicone on a lav drain?

Jadunk
Feb 27, 2013

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

Why are you using sillicone on a lav drain?

Some manufacturers instructions call for silicone rather than putty around/under where the popup sits inside the bowl. It varies manufacturer to manufacturer, and generally for DIY types I recommend they use whatever it says to in the instructions rather than trying to just always use putty. (or silicone)

edmund745
Jun 5, 2010
What is a good brand of kitchen faucet to buy nowadays? (me=USA location...)

I had one go bad a few months back, so I bought a cheap ($70) one and figured that would work for a while. Well,,,,,,, "a while" turned out to be only three months.

So I am looking at Lowe's and Home Depot, and they sell pretty much the same things.
And MOST of the more-expensive kitchen faucets (from $200-$300) are single-handle designs, and a typical complaint is that you can't adjust the water temperatures very well. ???

Many have built-in sprayers but that eliminates the problem of thumping when the water is turned on, as the flow regulator to the sprayer kicks in (I want a sprayer but not having a 'separate' sprayer might be better)...

With a lot of these it seems as if they compromised the durability to produce odd-looking designs. I'd kinda prefer a utilitarian-style setup that I knew was maintainable with commonly available parts. I've also seen that there are a lot of complaints about needing to get replacement parts sent from the manufacturers.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

edmund745 posted:

What is a good brand of kitchen faucet to buy nowadays? (me=USA location...)

I had one go bad a few months back, so I bought a cheap ($70) one and figured that would work for a while. Well,,,,,,, "a while" turned out to be only three months.

So I am looking at Lowe's and Home Depot, and they sell pretty much the same things.
And MOST of the more-expensive kitchen faucets (from $200-$300) are single-handle designs, and a typical complaint is that you can't adjust the water temperatures very well. ???

Many have built-in sprayers but that eliminates the problem of thumping when the water is turned on, as the flow regulator to the sprayer kicks in (I want a sprayer but not having a 'separate' sprayer might be better)...

With a lot of these it seems as if they compromised the durability to produce odd-looking designs. I'd kinda prefer a utilitarian-style setup that I knew was maintainable with commonly available parts. I've also seen that there are a lot of complaints about needing to get replacement parts sent from the manufacturers.

Do you live anywhere close to furgeson plumbing?

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
I need a wee bit of plumbing advice.

I am the proud renter of this magnificent tub faucet:

Unfortunately, the diverter valve in the spigot has worn out, and now showers suck and we're sending un-enjoyed hot water down the drain.
There is no screw head on the spigot, so I assume it's the type you twist off, but googling diverter valves shows no examples like the model I have. I'm scared I'll break it trying to twist it off.
Question 1: What would you do?
Question 2: Is there a way to just repair the diverter mechanism? I've tried to get it out of the spigot to inspect the washer, but I can't see any way to remove it.

Thank you, handy-friends!

edmund745
Jun 5, 2010

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Do you live anywhere close to furgeson plumbing?
Nope, IL side.
I already bought a faucet now, I've moved on to further comedies... That being, I can't get the thing installed because of oddball mobile home plumbing fittings.

Basically, I have to cut the current fittings off the CPVC pipe and put new ones on, because the existing ones are weird poo poo that nobody in the western hemisphere can obtain anymore--and no local hardware stores have any combination of parts that can be assembled usefully.

,,,When I was shopping I saw that one faucet I was considering said that the warranty was void if you ran a dish washing machine supply line off the same line that the sink used. (I got a dishwasher) I would assume this would be damage from the abrupt water starting/stopping (or hammering) but the info didn't specify.
I know what a water hammer arrestor is, but the pipe in my house is cpvc,,,, is this issue of water hammering mainly a copper thing? All of the water hammer arrestors I've found are copper-sweat, except for the one that screws onto your washing machine lines.

Jadunk
Feb 27, 2013

edmund745 posted:

Nope, IL side.
I already bought a faucet now, I've moved on to further comedies... That being, I can't get the thing installed because of oddball mobile home plumbing fittings.

Basically, I have to cut the current fittings off the CPVC pipe and put new ones on, because the existing ones are weird poo poo that nobody in the western hemisphere can obtain anymore--and no local hardware stores have any combination of parts that can be assembled usefully.

,,,When I was shopping I saw that one faucet I was considering said that the warranty was void if you ran a dish washing machine supply line off the same line that the sink used. (I got a dishwasher) I would assume this would be damage from the abrupt water starting/stopping (or hammering) but the info didn't specify.
I know what a water hammer arrestor is, but the pipe in my house is cpvc,,,, is this issue of water hammering mainly a copper thing? All of the water hammer arrestors I've found are copper-sweat, except for the one that screws onto your washing machine lines.

How old is the place? Are you sure it's CPVC not PB(Quest)? Got any pictures of what you need to replace?

edmund745
Jun 5, 2010

Jadunk posted:

How old is the place? Are you sure it's CPVC not PB(Quest)? Got any pictures of what you need to replace?
The mobile home is only 15 years old. The pipe is Nibco Flowguard Gold, and it is labelled continuously along the straight sections.

There were a few problems here.
1--the new faucet had integral 3/8" supply lines.
2--the old valves were 1/2" male inlets and outlets, and used an odd kind of seal that didn't look like it would work with new shutoff valves.... Or supply hoses.... Or 1/2" to 3/8" adapter fittings....
3--the old (globe) valves were weeping green corrosion out of the stems, so they needed to be replaced anyway. And I wanted 1/4-turn ball valves, not globe valves again.

Cutting the pipe off and gluing a new end fitting on there isn't that difficult. The main bummer with this was that I wasted two days trying to match an obsolete part.
I shoulda just cut the old valves off (on the FIRST day) after the second store said it was an unusual fitting and they could not replace it.

~~~~~~~~

I had a similar problem a few years back when I had to put a new flush valve in one of the toilets. The new flush valve had a 3/8" inlet and the old cutoff valve had the odd 1/2" outlet.
I began wanting to replace both the cutoff valve and the supply hose, but couldn't do that as nobody sold the cutoff valves that would just drop-in.
Back then I found *ONE* local store that still had the hoses to hook the old valve up to a 3/8" outlet, so that was all I did. Eventually Imma cut both the toilet cutoff valves+hoses off and replace them too.

Jadunk
Feb 27, 2013

edmund745 posted:

The mobile home is only 15 years old. The pipe is Nibco Flowguard Gold, and it is labelled continuously along the straight sections.

There were a few problems here.
1--the new faucet had integral 3/8" supply lines.
2--the old valves were 1/2" male inlets and outlets, and used an odd kind of seal that didn't look like it would work with new shutoff valves.... Or supply hoses.... Or 1/2" to 3/8" adapter fittings....
3--the old (globe) valves were weeping green corrosion out of the stems, so they needed to be replaced anyway. And I wanted 1/4-turn ball valves, not globe valves again.

Cutting the pipe off and gluing a new end fitting on there isn't that difficult. The main bummer with this was that I wasted two days trying to match an obsolete part.
I shoulda just cut the old valves off (on the FIRST day) after the second store said it was an unusual fitting and they could not replace it.

~~~~~~~~

I had a similar problem a few years back when I had to put a new flush valve in one of the toilets. The new flush valve had a 3/8" inlet and the old cutoff valve had the odd 1/2" outlet.
I began wanting to replace both the cutoff valve and the supply hose, but couldn't do that as nobody sold the cutoff valves that would just drop-in.
Back then I found *ONE* local store that still had the hoses to hook the old valve up to a 3/8" outlet, so that was all I did. Eventually Imma cut both the toilet cutoff valves+hoses off and replace them too.

ohhh. I completely misread your post, I thought you were saying that you could not find fittings that would work on the piping itself, not that you could not find supplies that would work. I'm guessing they were 1/2" compression rather than being either 3/8" or 1/2" IPS. I've run across those kind of angle stops (both compression and IPS inlet with 1/2" compression outlet) a few times. Usually not worth going to get the supplies that would work on those so I just swap the valve.

Alternately they could have been something really weird like 1/2" flare? I've never seen an angle stop with one of those but someone probably makes 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
The water hammer surge pressures are significantly influenced by the rigidity of the pipe. CPVC is less rigid than copper, so it does have lower surge pressure, but it is still fairly rigid. From one test, copper had a peak surge of 240psi and CPVC hit 170psi in the same conditions. So it's less of a problem, but still potentially a concern.

Fun bonus fact: PEX of the same nominal size doesn't perform better than CPVC with cold water (because the ID is smaller, water velocity is higher, offsetting the greater flexibility of PEX). But it performs much better with hot water, because the heat further increases the flexibility.