Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Phosphene posted:

Hey mold buddy. We just had our walk in torn out and had our cleaning policies completely revamped. Guess who had to clean out the mold covered fridge! (You're welcome)

Can't (not) wait till I can make this post!

Spikes32 posted:

Best suggestions I have for mold are using sporklenz or bleach, letting it sit, doing it again, cleaning again with ipa. And then continuing to do this deep clean on a monthly basis till the problem goes away. Is there anyway to seal off the brains any better so there is no way for the mold to get in?

They're already double sealed in Kalpak bags, we get a mixture of aerobic and anaerobic mold. We're back on our very rigid bleaching/scrubbing protocol now that we have a new general lab/grossing room supervisor(thank god).

C-Euro posted:

Reminds me of a story one of the theoretical chemistry professors at my grad school (a pretty well-respected guy in his field) told me about why he became a theoretical chemist. When he was in college, lab safety was still at the point where you would pipette by mouth. One day he put too much effort in pippetting concentrated nitric acid :gonk:

Jesus christ, did he burn his tongue off or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sundae posted:

Plus then you have to live near loving Philadelphia. The Fort Washington area in particular is miserable to drive in, and I wish a slow, painful death on whoever designed Germantown Road.

Living in Philadelphia is nice but I also never have to drive west of here unless I'm going out of town. Also I need to be making about 10k/year to really enjoy myself but I'd be saying that no matter where I was.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

gninjagnome posted:

Seems like Seattle has some places as well. A couple people have recently left my company to work in there.

I hope it works out well for them, but there's a reason why I don't work in a lab anymore.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
I like my boss (one of my many bosses, but that's another story) but he's partially dyslexic. So, when I present a result like "this genetic element is enriched 40% over the controls, p=0.001", he always says something like, "I'm not sure if I can trust the data. Can you show it to me? Do you have a picture?"

I'm always tempted to produce a bar graph with two columns, one 40% higher than the other.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

outlier posted:

I like my boss (one of my many bosses, but that's another story) but he's partially dyslexic. So, when I present a result like "this genetic element is enriched 40% over the controls, p=0.001", he always says something like, "I'm not sure if I can trust the data. Can you show it to me? Do you have a picture?"

I'm always tempted to produce a bar graph with two columns, one 40% higher than the other.
Charts and graphs are easier to pass around. Go ahead and make your bar graph and make sure to include confidence intervals.

Great name/post combo, btw.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

outlier posted:

I don't trust that either. Show me a column-scatter/box/violinplot. Where did you pull that p-value from, was it the right statistical test? Does the data you used fit the assumptions for that test? If I look at a column scatter or violin I can judge for myself whether there is a difference and whether the data is suitable for whatever test you used.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Dik Hz posted:

Great name/post combo, btw.

Ah, thanks. I adopted it years ago when I joked that a colleagues child should be christened "statistical outlier". Been worried that the Gladwell book makes it look pretentious.

Party of the issue with my graph happy boss is that he wants to run controls for everything, like everything, even questioning the basic function of decade old techniques. You run several dozen different controls and some weird results come back (because p=0.05) and he demands further investigation.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

I feel like your boss and I would get along well...

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

outlier posted:

Ah, thanks. I adopted it years ago when I joked that a colleagues child should be christened "statistical outlier". Been worried that the Gladwell book makes it look pretentious.

Party of the issue with my graph happy boss is that he wants to run controls for everything, like everything, even questioning the basic function of decade old techniques. You run several dozen different controls and some weird results come back (because p=0.05) and he demands further investigation.

Give him a rundown on multiple comparisons problems- the drive to apply control conditions is noble, but doing so without theoretical reasons is a fishing expedition for errors with a pre-stocked ice chest.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I cannot count how many experiments have been made useless because someone cut corners and skipped a group (even if there was a positive/negative control), and then you get weird results and have no way of interpreting it.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 19, 2015

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
Don't get me wrong - controls are essential. But he often wants to run controls to check basic tool functionality ("let's check that clustal can actually align sequences") or a dense, interlocking network of controls ("we have 500 experimental samples and 500 controls. So lets run samples 1-100 against controls 1-100, 101-200, 201-300 ... and samples 101-200 against controls 1-100, 101-200 ..."). And as noted above, you test so many different things and combinations that something weird is sure to pop up.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

Reminder: always look at your raw data.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Your boss is right

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Not sure if anyone was interested but Big Pharma Game was released at some point, https://www.bigpharmagame.com.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

I got called a change agent at work...I'm worried

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Lyon posted:

Not sure if anyone was interested but Big Pharma Game was released at some point, https://www.bigpharmagame.com.

Apparently I have been doing everything wrong, will suggest more conveyer belts to upper management.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Appachai posted:

:glomp:

It's okay. It'll all be okay. Embrace the change.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Appachai posted:

lol godspeed

I basically do all the non-documentation change CAPAs and CRs for my group (on top of my normal workload) and I'm perpetually behind

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

I'm going to do my best to not point out anything blatantly wrong for the month of october to rehabilitate myself.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
In my previous job at Governmental Scientific Agency, we were reorganised about once a year so that we could become "the best <governmental scientific agency> in the world". Of course, it was important to involve the staff and allow feedback, so we were given a steady stream of surveys asking "What do you think about our proposal to rename the Division of Foo to Foo Division, to make it more dynamic, responsive and help us become the best <governmental scientific agency> in the world?". When we answered in the negative, the reply was alway, "No, you're wrong. The Foo Division will be more dynamic, responsive and help us become the best <governmental scientific agency> in the world."

I'd always thought of myself as cynical, but that job redlined all of my irony-meters.

nonathlon fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 5, 2015

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
I pity the foo

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

outlier posted:

In my previous job at Governmental Scientific Agency, we were reorganised about once a year so that we could "the best <governmental scientific agency> in the world". Of course, it was important to involve the staff and allow feedback, so we were given a steady stream of surveys asking "What do you think about our proposal to rename the Division of Foo to Foo Division, to make it more dynamic, responsive and help us become the best <governmental scientific agency> in the world?". When we answered in the negative, the reply was alway, "No, you're wrong. The Foo Division will be more dynamic, responsive and help us become the best <governmental scientific agency> in the world."

I'd always thought of myself as cynical, but that job redlined all of my irony-meters.

It sounds like my dream jorb (well, I'm interested in the policy side of things, so I want to be the one renaming divisions).

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
If your dream involves doing no work while toying with the country's biosecurity - sure.

We'd get sent documents giving "the agencies new organisation". Which looked like a freshman's rushed assignment where on the morning it was due, they grabbed a load of clipart and quickly banged up a Powerpoint presentation, trying to disguise the fact that the "new" organisation was just the old organisation with everything renamed. Which would make us "the best <governmental scientific agency> in the world", of course.

Universities seem positively functional after that.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
To be more serious, I am actually planning to head to some division of federal research administration, so information on how to make that suck less would be helpful.

You guys like narrow RFPs, right?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

To be more serious, I am actually planning to head to some division of federal research administration, so information on how to make that suck less would be helpful.

You guys like narrow RFPs, right?

Yes when they include my interest/expertise, no when they don't

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Epitope posted:

Yes when they include my interest/expertise, no when they don't

Well, I guess you'd better meet me at a cocktail party in Georgetown!

...the research funding system needs reform, but I'm still a number of years from having any leverage in that area. Someday.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I am so loving glad I left academia

Johnny Truant posted:

Pretty sure I'm going to get to be the lucky sonofagun who, eventually, will do a deep clean of our fridges(hooray :toot:), but what do you mean sticky pads on the floor of the ingress points? Do you mean like weather sealing things, like what you put under your door to keep a draft from entering?

The mold has claimed you at this point, but you need tacky paper that people can walk over which will pull all the mold spores off their shoes or close airborne ones. I am pretty sure big places like fisher/vwr sell em.

I was beaten to this post, but whatever.

2nd round interviews at Lilly, and I'm getting stockholm syndrome at my genomics startup. Life is p. good.

Bastard Tetris fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Oct 8, 2015

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I got a job at a chemical plant working in the "quality" control lab

There was a literal dumpster fire yesterday. Fun times.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

DOOP posted:

I got a job at a chemical plant working in the "quality" control lab

There was a literal dumpster fire yesterday. Fun times.

If you were in Massachusetts I'm pretty sure you made the news!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Bastard Tetris posted:

The mold has claimed you at this point, but you need tacky paper that people can walk over which will pull all the mold spores off their shoes or close airborne ones. I am pretty sure big places like fisher/vwr sell em.

I was beaten to this post, but whatever.

I have become one with the mould :zombie:

I'm gonna look into this though, do you think they'd actually be preventative for upright refrigerators? I'm looking on Fisher and VWR right now but can't really narrow anything down past histological moulds, can anyone help me out with a better search term? I've tried, in combination with "mold", "paper" and "prevention," but neither of those have really narrowed it down.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

That Works posted:

If you were in Massachusetts I'm pretty sure you made the news!

Nah. Pennsylvania

Good to know we aren't the only fuckups

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Sundae posted:

That's one nice thing -- subsidized on-site daycare at work. Also, fingers crossed here (and all the more reason I won't get the job), but comparable positions to the one they're recruiting for represent a 100-150% salary increase compared to my current job. Yeah... I'll stay in pharma for another trip on the merry-go-round for that kind of money.

I got a response saying that I lacked the years of XP they want for the opening they contacted me for, but that they want to create a "junior" position for me now and will talk interviews in a few weeks. Depending on how junior "junior" is (no way in hell will I take an effective pay cut after Bay Area cost of living), I might still consider it just to have this particular company on my resume and to see if Heaven is all it's cracked up to be.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

DOOP posted:

Nah. Pennsylvania

Good to know we aren't the only fuckups

I can't remember the particulars as I just skimmed the headline but some hazardous waste / safety-related company had a dumpster catch on fire at their shop because of improperly disposed materials iirc.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Bastard Tetris posted:

2nd round interviews at Lilly, and I'm getting stockholm syndrome at my genomics startup. Life is p. good.
Mind sharing some info on your genomics startup? Sounds cool!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I just got called in for an interview :toot:

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Suspicious Lump posted:

Mind sharing some info on your genomics startup? Sounds cool!

We have 150 employees and the company is still going through a growth phase, so startup is a bit of a misnomer since we have a normal sounding name and actual committed VC backers.

We do NGS/Sanger based panels to look for specific hereditary diseases or health and wellness genes, then patients work with our GCs to come up with a managed care plan and stuff. Some of the newer panels are pretty sweet, but I can't really say much on the internet about them.

Edit: Found the mats!

https://us.vwr.com/store/catalog/product.jsp?catalog_number=89066-232

The bottom is sticky so you can't track anything into or out of the room. They're mostly for cleanrooms and aren't great against airborne stuff, but they totally help.

Bastard Tetris fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 10, 2015

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Dude, 150 is not startup. Good job! Did you work in genomics/biology before this?

I'm about 3 weeks away from starting a PhD in bioinformatics. Looking forward to all the programming and informatics.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Suspicious Lump posted:

Dude, 150 is not startup. Good job! Did you work in genomics/biology before this?

I'm about 3 weeks away from starting a PhD in bioinformatics. Looking forward to all the programming and informatics.

I got my start in drug discovery specializing in laboratory automation for a nonprofit institute, then pivoted to automation engineer at a large energy company's R&D biotech core managing their robotics core. Large energy company had a couple bad years (now you can probably guess which one it is) and shut the site down. One of my last projects was designing an automated platform to do phenotypic strain construction on yeast using CRISPR. Anyways now I'm doing similar work in clinical genomic diagnostics. I found a cool niche, and 10 years in it's not a bad gig at all.

Bastard Tetris fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Oct 16, 2015

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

Our facilities manager said they are not allowed to pick up trash or mop the floors in our lab. They are for some reason allowed to sweep though. Has anyone ever heard of this before? Some kind of safety regulation ? We have a bsl1 protein biochemistry lab, no radiation or anything...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Appachai posted:

Our facilities manager said they are not allowed to pick up trash or mop the floors in our lab. They are for some reason allowed to sweep though. Has anyone ever heard of this before? Some kind of safety regulation ? We have a bsl1 protein biochemistry lab, no radiation or anything...

Our university introduced a similar policy back when the recession first hit. It was a purely budget-based decision with janitorial layoffs/reduced hours. They're only to empty the lab trash but not the office trash (we have to walk it to a common trashcan by the water fountain). They don't sweep or mop anything except the hallways, and those are waxed about once a year. Rumor has it the newer buildings do get the pre-recession treatment, but I've never bothered to ask.