Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

fade5 posted:

I'm almost wondering if the family doesn't actually need the income from Jerry, they just want him to have a job so that he's gone from the house.

Beth probably makes a lot of money if she is in any way involved with professional breeders. Jerry was a (unsuccessful) ad agency employee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Predictions for season 3: Rick will try to get Jerry a job. No, they won't use a meeseeks box. Evil Morty will be dealt with in the same manner as Coach Feratu.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

They're probably just going to ruminate on Evil Morty and use him whenever it seems like the perfect opportunity.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
"Horse surgeons" do okay. Summer also has a job. Also, figure if the family really needs money Rick'll invent something and sell it or go to another dimension and rob a treasury or whatever. Sort of like Morty turning in the Butter-bot to get an A in science.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

fade5 posted:

The Purgenol Free joke came off a little bit too telegraphed and on-the-nose to really hit that funny spot for me

Because its not so much a joke as it is a "Yes! Morty's character is evolving, do not debate this!" disclaimer.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
Morty has been growing gradually more and more aggressive, there have been a few points in the past few episodes rick told him to chill out in some manner.

Speculative spoiler. Evil morty is just regular morty... from the WORLD OF TOMORROW

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Just Offscreen posted:

This is exactly the case, no need to wonder. I mean at the end of the episode, did Beth actually seem worried about the money, or what he was spending it on?

So if they really don't have to worry about money, why was he asking Summer for some? Just to call Taddy Mason without leaving a money trail?

I think the reason was probably just that. By getting money that his wife didn't know about, Jerry could intercept the phone bill and take care of it before she knew what was wrong, and there'd be no paper trail on their bank statement to indicate a problem. Also, it buys him more time with Taddy Mason, who can really be there for Jerry because those interviews... well, you know they're nerve-wracking, and he needs the help of a good friend....

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

pass the butter posted:

Morty has been growing gradually more and more aggressive, there have been a few points in the past few episodes rick told him to chill out in some manner.

Speculative spoiler. Evil morty is just regular morty... from the WORLD OF TOMORROW

I figure that any morty can be any other morty. Same with everyone and the different dimensions. What would be interesting is to see the events that transpired for that specific morty to make him so exceptional evil.

Kind of like the prince and the pauper, except both are the same person but from different timelines.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

johntfs posted:

"Horse surgeons" do okay. Summer also has a job. Also, figure if the family really needs money Rick'll invent something and sell it or go to another dimension and rob a treasury or whatever. Sort of like Morty turning in the Butter-bot to get an A in science.
That just reminded me, one of the things they did during the six months of frozen time was "replace all the bank's money with cookies". So yeah, they've already done that.:v:

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Steve Yun posted:

I wonder if "cut to 3 weeks earlier" is something someone actually pitched to either Harmon or Roiland, and is this their way of telling them how lovely their story was.

Harmon talks about scripts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1erlnyhhHA

Is the actual Purge movie any good? The remake?

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
Somebody .gif the dance at the mansion, please if you can. That was great.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I know by "Get a job" they more mean "Get out of my life", but given Rick's infinite possibility space adventures I'm surprised his family is ever in need of, like... money.

They aren't. In addition to Rick's infinite science money Beth has a good job and Summer's also working. I doubt they would mind Jerry being unemployed if he just got a hobby and stopped bothering everyone during the day.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Could someone gif Morty's initial flagging enthusiam for listening to the lighthouse operator's screenplay?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

They did this so there wouldn't be any debate as to whether or not Morty was having his true colors emerge. Of course, I'm sure someone will now argue that the manufacturer of that candy bar actually lied about it being "Purgenol free" as some sort of social experiment or something.

I legit read an argument where the person was saying since we never see Mortys bars wrapper, we can't know for sure his bar had no purgenol

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

RentACop posted:

I legit read an argument where the person was saying since we never see Mortys bars wrapper, we can't know for sure his bar had no purgenol

I hope someone punches that person in the face today.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Where does Summer work? Have they mentioned it and I've forgotten or is it just something that we don't know because it's not important? Surely she's not working for Mr. Needful anymore.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hazo posted:

Where does Summer work? Have they mentioned it and I've forgotten or is it just something that we don't know because it's not important? Surely she's not working for Mr. Needful anymore.

Probably got some board position from Needful while he was cowering on the stage floor. Rick just took stocks he's more of a hands off kinda guy

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That was a great episode. "Does your planet have wiper fluid yet or are you going to start worshipping us now?" might be my favorite line in the entire show.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

That was a great episode. "Does your planet have wiper fluid yet or are you going to start worshipping us now?" might be my favorite line in the entire show.

My favorite this episode was "It's called the non-interference clause, Morty. We talked to the natives, got our wiper fluid, let's go."

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

pass the butter posted:

Morty's a teenage boy and he's going through all the phases. Jacking it in the kitchen, fits of murderous rage.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Fister Roboto posted:

When the girl asked if the ship was made by the gods and Morty and Rick answer no and yes at the same time.

Also Rick really should be telling the ship to keep Morty safe if he's going to leave him in there on purge night.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

By far my favorite bit was

"Here's the deal: I'm not here to judge, I'm just a guy from another planet, but this girl is one of your poor people and I guess you guys felt like it was ok to subject her to inhuman conditions because there was no chance of it ever hurting you. It's sort of the sociopolitical equivalent of say- a suit of power armor around you? But now things are evened out sooo..Arthritia?"

The delivery, the expressions on everyone's faces, it was just all so perfect.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
That was a really great episode. I will admit I thought that something was gonna go wrong when Summer didn't let the box outside for a second. The three weeks ago line just killed me.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Mmmorty this is really cool, y-yy-y'wanna help me out here and kill some people? It's fun! we're totally justified because we're saving a little girl. I mean we-w-w we're both free and clear to murder these people!

Also Morty sking about the Purge logic

Were people like: "Wait What?? This is going to stop crime how exactly?"

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 29, 2015

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Shindragon posted:

That was a really great episode. I will admit I thought that something was gonna go wrong when Summer didn't let the box outside for a second. The three weeks ago line just killed me.

Technically, something did go wrong. A hole got punched in the garage roof. Fortunately, Rick's drone/power armor is tougher than that roof, so it was all good. Except for the roof repair bill. Maybe they could make Jerry fix it...?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

johntfs posted:

Technically, something did go wrong. A hole got punched in the garage roof. Fortunately, Rick's drone/power armor is tougher than that roof, so it was all good. Except for the roof repair bill. Maybe they could make Jerry fix it...?

Hahaha, Jerry fixing things. Now that's hilarious! :v:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hey Typical: post all the crazy pod launchers you went through, all the red canisters were cool.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
The word "purge" was used in some form (purge, purging, purged, etc.) 36 times in this episode. Somehow, I thought it would be more than that. I think that the word itself became a running gag from the moment when Rick repeated it to Morty to identify the movie the episode was going to be spoofing.

I liked this episode more than the last couple. The B plot was almost nonexistent, but it didn't need to be any more developed because of the strength of the A plot.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

"That little Amish bitch shot me in the liver! She tried to purge me, Morty!" killed me.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
"It's the hardest working liver in the galaxy and now it's go a hole in it!"

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dr_Amazing posted:

Harmon talks about scripts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1erlnyhhHA

Is the actual Purge movie any good? The remake?

Apparently the first one is fairly dumb and the sequel is better. I haven't seen either though so this is just going on second hand information.

Also yeah that screenwriter bit was definitely a Harmon thing. You just know he's had almost that exact conversation with someone who pitched him a script at some point.

Dead on Arrival
Nov 4, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Apparently the first one is fairly dumb and the sequel is better. I haven't seen either though so this is just going on second hand information.

Also yeah that screenwriter bit was definitely a Harmon thing. You just know he's had almost that exact conversation with someone who pitched him a script at some point.

The first is alright. The second is much better. Both worth a watch. Main character in the second is basically the Punisher, or should be.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I enjoy Rick and Morty a lot, but the B-Plots are always so bad. At least the ones that involve Jerry.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dead on Arrival posted:

The first is alright. The second is much better. Both worth a watch. Main character in the second is basically the Punisher, or should be.

Does he have a death van? That's key in becoming a Punisher and a lot of people overlook the death van.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Jerry interrupting about Taddy Mason while they're all trying to talk on the space phone and getting fed up with him is hysterical

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
"You like that? You want me to cut to three weeks earlier, when you were alive?" may be my favorite line in the entire series now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RentACop posted:

Jerry interrupting about Taddy Mason while they're all trying to talk on the space phone and getting fed up with him is hysterical

Was that an actual reference to something or was it just a (funny on its own) gag that Jerry calls what amounts to a friendship phone sex line?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I enjoy Rick and Morty a lot, but the B-Plots are always so bad. At least the ones that involve Jerry.

The B-plots vary wildly in quality, from the terrible one in Anatomy Park to Meeseeks and Destroy where I would frankly say the Jerry plot is the A-plot and the fantasy world stuff is like a mediocre B-plot.

They've been just as hit and miss this season I think. The one in Rickle in Time was super dumb and I had to look up what it even was in Auto Erotic Assimilation. I feel like we've been on a string of good ones since "Protect Summer" and the one this episode was like a few short scenes, most of them relating to the A-plot anyway.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Was that an actual reference to something or was it just a (funny on its own) gag that Jerry calls what amounts to a friendship phone sex line?

And he thought that the call on an space phone might be for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Does he have a death van? That's key in becoming a Punisher and a lot of people overlook the death van.

The main character of Purge 2 does not have a death van . Which is probably why he wussed out on the revenge thing he was pursuing the whole movie and let the guy who killed his son live in the final minutes. Not out of a sense of right and wrong, he just wasn't in enough of a Frank Castle mindset :v:

• Locked thread