Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

The only times I've been sick were from a fancy American restaurant and Oliver's Super Sandwich, which is in Hong Kong. I've eaten tons of unidentifiable garbage off the street and never had a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

fart simpson posted:

The only times I've been sick were from a fancy American restaurant and Oliver's Super Sandwich, which is in Hong Kong. I've eaten tons of unidentifiable garbage off the street and never had a problem.

why would you eat your posts after you dropped them on the street?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I don't like to waste them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah the only Chinese food I've ever had bubble gut from was at fancy banquet restaurants the company takes us to. Nothing is clean and they have like 900 items on the menu so it's all sitting around forever in a fridge that may or may not be plugged in. Street food and normal restaurants are the way to go.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Does anyone else feel like the food on random roadside restaurant usually tastes way better than the fancy banquet places?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah. I would never choose to go to those places.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

angel opportunity posted:

Does anyone else feel like the food on random roadside restaurant usually tastes way better than the fancy banquet places?

It depends, I think. There are some things at those fancy places that can be really good.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah the only Chinese food I've ever had bubble gut from was at fancy banquet restaurants the company takes us to. Nothing is clean and they have like 900 items on the menu so it's all sitting around forever in a fridge that may or may not be plugged in. Street food and normal restaurants are the way to go.

Yep, same here. Worst case of food poisoning (which hit me right when I got on the plane to return home after a vacation) was from a wedding reception. Apparently everyone who ate the meat got sick.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

a7m2 posted:

i've never done any of this and i've not been sick

Congratulations.

It probably depends what you're getting. Most things this will happen by default. I mean you're not gonna get hours old chuanr.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

fart simpson posted:

Great to know, thanks. FWIW I've eaten a lot of street food in SE Asia and never gotten sick; hoping this stays true in China.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
I went to a ton of big expensive restaurants in China with my rich rear end boss and not one of them was better than some good ol' chuanr on the streets, though I will say the best steak I've ever had was in a Chinese place in San Ya.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

angel opportunity posted:

I've never been to China, but this is the case everywhere I have been.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
[Post that repeats what everybody else says about the time they got sick and how street food never made them sick]

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

This is applicable to China, too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RFTnb4nC-A&t=59s

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Blinkman987 posted:

[Post that repeats what everybody else says about the time they got sick and how street food never made them sick]

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

empyquote

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
How common is gutter oil in china? Do you think you've eaten food cooked in it?

edit: Any negative effects and how did you know it was gutter oil?

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 14, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

r0ck0 posted:

Yes and yes.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

r0ck0 posted:

edit: Any negative effects and how did you know it was gutter oil?

Not as much as you'd think, and it is kinda obvious what restaurants use it, and sadly I probably have.

I knew because the food looked perfectly fine but tasted really off. It was also really cheap compared to some other places around.

There are two jianbing stalls near my apartment off Yanan. One is super cheap and disgusting looking, the other is average priced and staffed by a clean young woman.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~
You approach a street food stall and an middle aged man smoking a cigarette stares at you in greeting. You ask for a bowl of whatever that slop is and he stares at you in acknowledgement. He dips a blackened spoon into the mixture and hands it to you. Clearly impressed by your recent demonstration of your mastery of the Chinese language, he asks you for 3 RMB, holding three fingers in your face as he does so. You hand him the money and he asks you, "where are you from?". You tell him and his daughter approaches, chastising the man for being rude somehow. She has a jaw twice the size of her head and hair pulled back so tight into a ponytail that the follicles are hanging on for dear life. A slick black gloss of oil coats the hair, so she has either been around the stall too long or hasn't bathed in days. Both possibilities are equally depressing you think, as the man continues to talk to you about a foreigner he saw on a street corner once. You cut the conversation short and sit on a small (formerly) white stool on an uneven patch of bricks near a shop decorated with flowers and messages of good luck that will surely help the Cake Shop through its 2 months of total business before it shuts down. You drink the soup and feel the salty sweet taste slime its way down your throat. At least I don't have the shits, you think as the little tumor in your colon shivers, then doubles in size.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

The Worst Muslim posted:

You approach a street food stall and an middle aged man smoking a cigarette stares at you in greeting. You ask for a bowl of whatever that slop is and he stares at you in acknowledgement. He dips a blackened spoon into the mixture and hands it to you. Clearly impressed by your recent demonstration of your mastery of the Chinese language, he asks you for 3 RMB, holding three fingers in your face as he does so. You hand him the money and he asks you, "where are you from?". You tell him and his daughter approaches, chastising the man for being rude somehow. She has a jaw twice the size of her head and hair pulled back so tight into a ponytail that the follicles are hanging on for dear life. A slick black gloss of oil coats the hair, so she has either been around the stall too long or hasn't bathed in days. Both possibilities are equally depressing you think, as the man continues to talk to you about a foreigner he saw on a street corner once. You cut the conversation short and sit on a small (formerly) white stool on an uneven patch of bricks near a shop decorated with flowers and messages of good luck that will surely help the Cake Shop through its 2 months of total business before it shuts down. You drink the soup and feel the salty sweet taste slime its way down your throat. At least I don't have the shits, you think as the little tumor in your colon shivers, then doubles in size.

reading this paragraph is just as good as going to china. save yourself the cost of a flight ticket

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Worst Muslim posted:

ZhengzhouNights.doc.exe

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Worst Muslim posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NyaBryYcw8

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

The Worst Muslim posted:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Worst Muslim posted:

If GBM talks about Amber, smile politely and find an escape route

you suck

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

The Worst Muslim posted:

...near a shop decorated with flowers and messages of good luck that will surely help the Cake Shop through its 2 months of total business before it shuts down.
:perfect:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The Worst Muslim posted:

:itwaspoo:

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Would anyone be so kind as to search for some drinking establishments in Lanzhou for me? Ideally bear my hotel (Lanzhou Sapphire Hotel).

I found an area with maybe a dozen a few hundred meters to the northeast, but all of them were restaurant style and there was zero chance of socializing.

Everything is cheap enough I'll taxi wherever if it has a good atmosphere, but of course the closer to home the better.

The best I could find in English on any site recommended Gamman Street, but after walking from above area to Lanzhou University there wasn't much to be found at all.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Aredna posted:

Would anyone be so kind as to search for some drinking establishments in Lanzhou for me? Ideally bear my hotel (Lanzhou Sapphire Hotel).

I found an area with maybe a dozen a few hundred meters to the northeast, but all of them were restaurant style and there was zero chance of socializing.

Everything is cheap enough I'll taxi wherever if it has a good atmosphere, but of course the closer to home the better.

The best I could find in English on any site recommended Gamman Street, but after walking from above area to Lanzhou University there wasn't much to be found at all.

This is Lanzhou we're talking about here, there's probably not too many drinking establishments to speak of that are worth a poo poo. I'll ask my buddy for you, he's a lanzhou-ren.

here's a few things that you might enjoy. I'd suggest hitting up the night market and eating/drinking your way to fun.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Thanks for the link. I've hit up one of the night markets on Gaolan Road and it was all clothes and food was limited to walnuts.

Turns out the bars I DID find were on Maijishan Road that the article recommends and by chance I walked most of it as well. Of course those were all the bars were it would be the same as sitting in a restaurant alone.

Tonight I'll walk the other direction on Gannan Road towards the night market mentioned in the article and see what all I can find.

And yeah - I know it's Lanzhou, just here for a few days to see my sister and her family, but having a kid they go to bed early so I'm trying to make the most of my evenings while here.

Aredna fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 21, 2015

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Aredna posted:

Thanks for the link. I've hit up one of the night markets on Gaolan Road and it was all clothes and food was limited to walnuts.

Turns out the bars I DID find were on Maijishan Road that the article recommends and by chance I walked most of it as well. Of course those were all the bars were it would be the same as sitting in a restaurant alone.

Tonight I'll walk the other direction on Gannan Road towards the night market mentioned in the article and see what all I can find.

And yeah - I know it's Lanzhou, just here for a few days to see my sister and her family, but having a kid they go to bed early so I'm trying to make the most of my evenings while here.

OK so my buddy from LZ suggested this:
Ok,there's a restaurant next to Lanzhou University called Charlie's Kitchen, a few foreign students or teachers go there. Mai Ji Shan road is the bar street where he can visit.

So sounds like you saw the bar street, maybe check out Charlie's.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Thanks for checking!

I'm laughing because Charlie's is the first place I went with my sister for lunch. Perhaps I'll check it out at night and see how it looks.

Really appreciate you checking for me.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Found a club named Muse. I'm not so far from the night markets and drinking areas, but not sure exactly where I am.

Playing club music, has a bar, mostly lounge areas and tables.

Drinks are 50 each though.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

SB35 posted:

• Getting Money OUT of China
    There are a few ways of getting your money out of China that have been discussed before, however the two easiest ways are:
    • ATM
      If you have a Chinese bank account with an ATM card, many world-wide banks support UnionPay networks, so going back to your home country and taking your money out through an ATM should result in a pretty good exchange rate and minimal fees.

Looks like this loophole is being closed or at least will be limited to ¥100,000 yearly in 2016 onwards.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Trammel posted:

Looks like this loophole is being closed or at least will be limited to ¥100,000 yearly in 2016 onwards.

Limited to 10,000 RMB ($1571 USD) per day and 100,000 RMB ($15,713 USD) yearly, not including fees. Still not that bad for a lot of people.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Especially people not laundering money

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Are you loving making GBS threads me? Is this per account or per person?

augustus gluten posted:

Especially people not laundering money

Student loans, man.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Grand Fromage posted:

Are you loving making GBS threads me? Is this per account or per person?

Yes and probably tied to your passport number. This shouldn't effect Western Union though.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Any suggestions on gifts for people in their late 20s early 30s? Thinking snacks, maybe something that isn't available there or is pricey compared to U.S. prices. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Cigarettes