Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Metapod posted:

But how many people does new jersey have?

Don't count as human

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I'm ok with the Chargers leaving now

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Glass of Milk posted:

I'm ok with the Chargers leaving now

gently caress off

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

zen death robot posted:

You can still be a Chargers fan if they're in another city

no, he can't, for reasons he can not and will not explain

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Alaois posted:

no, he can't, for reasons he can not and will not explain

LA is an evil city and Anaheim is entirely different

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Ross Angeles posted:

gently caress off

How about McCoy? Can McCoy just leave?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Glass of Milk posted:

How about McCoy? Can McCoy just leave?

McCoy is generally fine.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Ross Angeles posted:

McCoy is generally fine.

Yeah, well-coached teams usually fall behind in the first half of every game. Dude only did well in 2013 because he had Whisenhunt. "Compared to 2013, the offense dropped in points (from 12th in the league to 17th), yards (5th to 18th), first downs (3rd to 15th), net yards per pass (2nd to 8th), rushing yards (13th to 30) and yards per rush (21st to 31st)."

Dude is bad, and it's showing this year.

In actual stadium news, the city may be leveraging the lease to prevent the Chargers from leaving: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/sports/Chargers-May-Be-in-Default-of-Their-Stadium-Lease-329576571.html

It would be such a satisfying one-two punch to Spanos to have the Rams go to LA alone and the city leaving the Chargers without a lease to play in Qualcomm.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

wt

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Volkerball posted:

You're a hell of a lot closer to a deal in San Diego than the raiders are in Oakland. If the raiders can't move to LA, they're absolutely hosed.

"absolutely hosed" meaning the NFL might have to spend its own money on a stadium instead of extorting a city for one?

Or like, the team folds out of spite?

gently caress, I hope Oakland stays strong, someone needs to put a stop to this bullshit.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Bobo the Red posted:

"absolutely hosed" meaning the NFL might have to spend its own money on a stadium instead of extorting a city for one?

gently caress, I hope Oakland stays strong, someone needs to put a stop to this bullshit.
The Raiders can't afford it

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Ross Angeles posted:

The Raiders can't afford it

Yeah if Davis paid for like an eighth of a stadium he'd be making the biggest sacrifice of an nfl owner in recent history

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
How exactly did the Raiders and Niners not end up partnering on the new building? Is it just that the Niners wanted to muscle the other team out of their territory knowing that, unlike the Jets or Giants, the other team could not get their own deal done?

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
The league can afford it though. If a sports stadium is a legit investment, then the NFL shouldn't mind making it to maintain its teams. If its not... well, who better to shoulder the burden than the only people who truly profit from the whole drat thing. Anything is better than siphoning money from important city services to a godamn stadium

If the Raiders have to get axed before the NFL clues in, so be it. Not like they're gonna get better while the ghost of Al Davis is watching over them anyway.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
"The League" doesn't make money, it handles and shuffles money between teams. That's why until recently it was a non-profit but relinquished that status so people would shut the gently caress up about it.

Also Mark Davis has thrown up the double birds about sharing Levi's, so there's that.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bobo the Red posted:

Davis's net worth is $500 million, and the going rate for decent stadiums is pushing a billion dollars. He'd have to sell what's left of what he owns of the team just to be able to afford half of that, which obviously isn't on the table given that if you're not the owner, you have no reason to drop a shitload of cash on a stadium. There will definitely be public funding for the next Raiders stadium, but things that aren't for sure are whether Mark Davis will own the team, whether the team will remain the Raiders, and where the team will go. So yeah, the team as we know it could disappear. LA is the only plausible way forward to avoid all of that.

FuriousxGeorge posted:

How exactly did the Raiders and Niners not end up partnering on the new building? Is it just that the Niners wanted to muscle the other team out of their territory knowing that, unlike the Jets or Giants, the other team could not get their own deal done?

The Raiders were still adamant on getting a deal done with Oakland, and Mark really wants one stadium with a Raiders hall of fame in it and all that jazz. I'm not sure how things looked from the 49ers side of the table, but from the Raiders side it seemed like they would've been second class citizens. Red and gold stadium with 49ers poo poo all over everywhere. It wasn't an appealing option.

Bobo the Red posted:

The league can afford it though. If a sports stadium is a legit investment, then the NFL shouldn't mind making it to maintain its teams. If its not... well, who better to shoulder the burden than the only people who truly profit from the whole drat thing. Anything is better than siphoning money from important city services to a godamn stadium

If the Raiders have to get axed before the NFL clues in, so be it. Not like they're gonna get better while the ghost of Al Davis is watching over them anyway.

Still plenty of cities willing to dump money into stadiums, and the league will find one before they ever 100% finance a stadium on their own. The Raiders getting "axed" doesn't change anything about that. All it achieves is disbanding my favorite team, and gently caress that.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
There will always be more money in playing in a lovely stadium somewhere than in disbanding. Folding is not happening in this century.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
By disbanding, I mean the team is sold to the highest bidder, who's motivations could be anywhere from "I want to make the Raiders good and prosperous again" to "I don't care what this team is and when do we get to be the London Monarchs?" The Raiders can't sustainably share a stadium with USC or whatever. They have to get a deal done, or something has to give. They're missing out on too much money.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Spoeank posted:

"The League" doesn't make money, it handles and shuffles money between teams. That's why until recently it was a non-profit but relinquished that status so people would shut the gently caress up about it.

Also Mark Davis has thrown up the double birds about sharing Levi's, so there's that.

The NFL as a whole brings in like 10 billion dollars yearly, the fact that it then gets redistributed to the individual teams doesn't mean that the league as whole doesn't have access to immense wealth that it could and should use to finance its own godamn infrastructure instead of abusing the public. The individual teams only have value because the league exists, so using some of their money to maintain the league would be reasonable. Obviously they won't but they totally could

Volkerball posted:

Still plenty of cities willing to dump money into stadiums, and the league will find one before they ever 100% finance a stadium on their own. The Raiders getting "axed" doesn't change anything about that. All it achieves is disbanding my favorite team, and gently caress that.

You are right that they almost certainly will find some chump mayor who thinks this is a good move despite the evidence. I just hope it's not Oakland. I like Oakland, and the people of Oakland need that money going to real poo poo.

Also I am sorry about the Raiders. They are so much more likable than the 49ers. But Al Davis, man. loving Al Davis.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Al Davis owned

Catfish Stevens
Jul 9, 2001

WHO DAT? Who gives a damn?

Ross Angeles posted:

Al Davis owned

Whatever you think of the Raiders franchise this is true

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Al Davis might be the single most important person in NFL history

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Ross Angeles posted:

Probably Mara but Al is definitely in the conversation.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Ross Angeles posted:

Roger Goodell reads this posts, starts throwing things off his desk

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Bobo the Red posted:

The NFL as a whole brings in like 10 billion dollars yearly, the fact that it then gets redistributed to the individual teams doesn't mean that the league as whole doesn't have access to immense wealth that it could and should use to finance its own godamn infrastructure instead of abusing the public. The individual teams only have value because the league exists, so using some of their money to maintain the league would be reasonable. Obviously they won't but they totally could

You are right that they almost certainly will find some chump mayor who thinks this is a good move despite the evidence. I just hope it's not Oakland. I like Oakland, and the people of Oakland need that money going to real poo poo.

Also I am sorry about the Raiders. They are so much more likable than the 49ers. But Al Davis, man. loving Al Davis.

What I'm saying is the league carries no balance, the teams do. And if you think the Bucs or Bengals are tossing in 1/32 the cost of a Raiders stadium (or even one red cent) then uhhhh

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Ross Angeles posted:

Al Davis owned

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Bobo the Red posted:

But Al Davis, man. loving Al Davis.

What about him?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

warcrimes posted:

What about him?

He was really senile and bad the last 5-7 years

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Ross Angeles posted:

He started making really bad decisions a few years before that but am just wondering what's up dude's rear end about Davis

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

warcrimes posted:

He started making really bad decisions a few years before that but am just wondering what's up dude's rear end about Davis

Probably someone who doesn't realize how important Al was.

Him firing Kiffin via overhead projector was amazing

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Ross Angeles posted:

Probably someone who doesn't realize how important Al was.

Him firing Kiffin via overhead projector was amazing

Pretty much exactly that: I didn't grow up in the US, and only started following football when I moved to the Bay Area. To me, Al Davis was just the loudmouth guy to blame for the perpetual awfulness of the local team I desperately wanted to like.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Bobo the Red posted:

Pretty much exactly that: I didn't grow up in the US, and only started following football when I moved to the Bay Area. To me, Al Davis was just the loudmouth guy to blame for the perpetual awfulness of the local team I desperately wanted to like.

You should educate yourself, Al Davis was the hammer(as commissioner of the AFL) that forced the merger between the AFL and NFL in the 60s which was the catalyst for taking the NFL out of second class citizen status to become the juggernaut that it is today. Also, among other accomplishments, he was a major force for social change in the NFL.

The last ten years he was in bad physical and mental shape but don't let that be the only legacy you have of Al Davis.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

His last years of life and bad decisions were completely excused in my book. He did enough good and pissed off enough commissioners for enough years (ie did enough good) that a pass for anything else was beyond earned.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Chris James 2 posted:

His last years of life and bad decisions were completely excused in my book. He did enough good and pissed off enough commissioners for enough years (ie did enough good) that a pass for anything else was beyond earned.

In retrospect, I agree but it was painful to live through. At least his son is a cool motherfucker who knows how to run a team and party at strip clubs and Hooters.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
What's crazy is even with the bad, Al Davis teams played in well over 10% of all super bowls.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Al also inducted more players into the hall of fame than anyone, including Lance Alworth, one of the greatest Chargers ever

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ross Angeles posted:

The last two years were fun before he died and McKenzie blew everything up.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMljR1M4smY

If you are not ready to start a fight in the stands after hearing that leader of men you are dead inside.Al Davis owned for so long and so hard that those 8 to 7 years at the end don't count for poo poo.
Al davis owned. the Raiders bitch.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Volkerball posted:

What's crazy is even with the bad, Al Davis teams played in well over 10% of all super bowls.

Before this 40 years in the desert, the raiders had a winning record against every non-recent expansion team in the league except the chiefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Lamadrid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMljR1M4smY

If you are not ready to start a fight in the stands after hearing that leader of men you are dead inside.Al Davis owned for so long and so hard that those 8 to 7 years at the end don't count for poo poo.
Al davis owned. the Raiders bitch.

The NFL doesn't want me to learn how much Al Davis owned, apparently.

But I will try not to think of him as just the guy who went to the mat for Jamarcus Russell

• Locked thread