Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Rirse posted:

I wouldn't mind hearing him slam Konami for ruining the perfect Silent Hill game he, Kojima, and Ito were doing.

Del Toro blew three years on a $100+ million adaptation of In The Mountains Of Madness that was ultimately canned because he refused to compromise on anything, after that Silent Hills getting cancelled shortly after it was announced was probably a small mercy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

Del Toro blew three years on a $100+ million adaptation of In The Mountains Of Madness that was ultimately canned because he refused to compromise on anything, after that Silent Hills getting cancelled shortly after it was announced was probably a small mercy.

I'm still bummed about At The Mountains of Madness not being made.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

To be fair wasn't the major issue that the studio wanted PG-13 and Del Toro was convinced he couldn't do a decent version that wasn't R?

It can come across as stubborn to the point of stupidity but I get both sides of the argument-- $100 million is not small change and PG-13 is regrettably the most likely way to recoup profits, but true-blueworthwhile Lovecraftian horror needs to be terrifying in a way that the old farts at the MPAA would never sign-off on for a PG-13 no matter how much you minimized nudity, swearing, and human-centric violence.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

flosofl posted:

I'm still bummed about At The Mountains of Madness not being made.

I just pretended that the project spun off into Prometheus, with the space jockeys being the Elder Things and the xenomorphs being the Shoggoths. Whether this bums you out even more varies from person to person.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Del Toro blew three years on The Hobbit; he's been off and on with Mountains of Madness and the closest it came to happening was just post him leaving The Hobbit and would have starred Tom Cruise, been in 3D, and also carried a "Produced by James Cameron" credit in a just-post-Avatar world.

Universal was demanding a PG-13, though. That much is true. When they didn't back down on it even after a big pitching session that involved Del Toro and Cameron trying to sell the movie as an R to them, that's when Del Toro gave up and moved on to Pacific Rim.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I don't get making a film out of At the Mountains of Madness. The book's basic shtick, for better or worse, is the poor ability of words to describe what they're seeing. Put it on film and you're just going to be looking at some big dumb penguins.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sir Kodiak posted:

I don't get making a film out of At the Mountains of Madness. The book's basic shtick, for better or worse, is the poor ability of words to describe what they're seeing. Put it on film and you're just going to be looking at some big dumb penguins.

Yeah, the idea of a film of that is sort of depressing.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

If Richard Stanley makes good on his Color out of Space adaptation and that somehow becomes a huge hit I can imagine Del Toro making a beeline for his At the Mountains of Madness film.

This of course will not happen, but I like to dream. :allears:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Sign me up.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sir Kodiak posted:

Wanna peep dem cyclopean edifices.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Why the gently caress is Jamie Kennedy still getting work?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That poster makes me think this is a sequel to Eight-Legged Freaks.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

That poster makes me think this is a sequel to Eight-Legged Freaks.

I would be ok with that too.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Sir Kodiak posted:

is At The Mountains of Madness the story involving the blind penguins because lol

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

The Saddest Rhino posted:

is At The Mountains of Madness the story involving the blind penguins because lol

And Shoggoths!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Yes, it's the story where a bunch of guys walk around deciphering hieroglyphics from an ancient civilization and then get bloodily killed by a jumble of adjectives at the end. I can understand why a studio would be hesitant to give it a summer blockbuster tentpole budget, especially when Del Toro was so dedicated to the source material that he refused to even have any female characters in it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I would be ok with that too.

That'd be about as watchable as Tremors 5, yeah.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I heard DelToro was going to gently caress with the 3d for MoM so things would sometimes appear the wrong way, would've been cool to see that tried, at least. Maybe someone could still try that trick in another movie, as part of a stoner scene or something? (like the brief slomo scenes in Dredd)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

I just saw that actually. I love the Tremors series (including TV) and Jamie Kennedy shits it up so badly. He tries to play a charming douche and just gets the douche part right.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I remember a rumor saying that the Mountains of Madness movie had its setting changed from Antartica to the moon (because the moon is a much more mysterious place), which would make the similarities to Prometheus even more obvious.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

effectual posted:

I heard DelToro was going to gently caress with the 3d for MoM so things would sometimes appear the wrong way, would've been cool to see that tried, at least. Maybe someone could still try that trick in another movie, as part of a stoner scene or something? (like the brief slomo scenes in Dredd)

I have no idea how much that would cost, but I could see a low-budget, psuedo-indie horror movie pull this off. Hell, it could even work for a found footage movie if you played it right; someone loving loves found footage movies enough that they keep getting made, might as well use one as a vessel for actually neat ideas.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I just saw that actually. I love the Tremors series (including TV) and Jamie Kennedy shits it up so badly. He tries to play a charming douche and just gets the douche part right.

Grady is cool. Jamie is not.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I'm amused that they're still putting that thing with the teeth on the posters even though that's not what graboids look like.

Unless that's changed, I've only seen the first two.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Since the colour out of space is literally impossible to film as is (inventing a color that can't be seen by normal eyes yet is visible to the audience), doing it as a 3D effect where parts are extremely in the foreground and inner parts are extreme background, etc. would be a really cool effect.

If you really screwed with the depth of field in post production that would be badass. (But of course would look like poo poo on the home video release).

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Didn't uh, that 3D Godard movie do stuff like that?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
There's good potential for horror in At the Mountains of Madness. Like finding a range of mountains taller than the Himalayas where they don't belong. And on top is a plateau on which an abandoned city older than the human race. That's some scary poo poo to handle, that's some existential dread poo poo. And the ruins are riddled with crude but provocative images of horrible space monsters eating people (probably some hologram tech here for story-telling purposes). And you're alone now because something silently came in the night and murdered half your team and all your sled dogs and drained them of every loving drop of blood, and the other survivors went mad and killed themselves.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, but imagine a film that translated that visually/cinematically. THAT is an exciting concept.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rough Lobster posted:

There's good potential for horror in At the Mountains of Madness. Like finding a range of mountains taller than the Himalayas where they don't belong. And on top is a plateau on which an abandoned city older than the human race. That's some scary poo poo to handle, that's some existential dread poo poo. And the ruins are riddled with crude but provocative images of horrible space monsters eating people (probably some hologram tech here for story-telling purposes). And you're alone now because something silently came in the night and murdered half your team and all your sled dogs and drained them of every loving drop of blood, and the other survivors went mad and killed themselves.

The real key to that is excellent set design, good visual composition, and pacing. The problem is I don't think I've seen a "mainstream" genre movie since Blade Runner that was willing to risk the audience's attention span to properly set a mood.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
The main problem with The Mountains Of Madness is that it's probably Lovecraft's most confrontationally racist story. And it's not like he was a slouch at racism, he was really good at it.

Alan Moore's got you covered.

"The penguins alone could not have saved us" is one the first sentences I have highlighted in my Kindle. It never fails to make me laugh.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Tremors gently caress yeah!

No series so stupid should be so much fun. Michael Gross takes someone who should be a horrible character everyone hates and makes him great :3:

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Well poo poo.

Still gonna see it, though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It looks really dark for a Tremors movie. I don't really like that. It also seems to ape Jurassic Park and Aliens pretty hard and for some reason Jamie Kennedy starts doing a Die Hard quote thing.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

davidspackage posted:

I'm amused that they're still putting that thing with the teeth on the posters even though that's not what graboids look like.

Unless that's changed, I've only seen the first two.

That's what the tenticle mouths inside the graboids look like. Granted, they're much smaller in the films.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

joedevola posted:

The main problem with The Mountains Of Madness is that it's probably Lovecraft's most confrontationally racist story. And it's not like he was a slouch at racism, he was really good at it.

Lovecraft posted:

When, long ago, the gods created Earth
In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
Yet were they too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
The'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a friend of the family.

This should be the intro to The Mountains of Madness, just to set the tone right from the start so people can prepare themselves for two and a half hours of racial abuse.

e: Really though, the proper way to get around the whole "unimaginable whatever" problem is to make the main characters the most boring whitebread people ever, whose lives are so gray and banal that slightly unusual blows their minds.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 29, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

CelticPredator posted:

It looks really dark for a Tremors movie. I don't really like that. It also seems to ape Jurassic Park and Aliens pretty hard and for some reason Jamie Kennedy starts doing a Die Hard quote thing.

The goofiness is missing. Burt still has some great lines and most of the supporting characters are great, but Kennedy ruins every scene he's in and the script is pretty poo poo. I will still keep watching Tremors movies though.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The goofiness is missing. Burt still has some great lines and most of the supporting characters are great, but Kennedy ruins every scene he's in and the script is pretty poo poo. I will still keep watching Tremors movies though.

Is there a reason given for these Graboid's looking different? Is there a new twist to the life cycle?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Calico Heart posted:

Yeah, but imagine a film that translated that visually/cinematically. THAT is an exciting concept.

It seems like you'd have to go the found footage route for that, and do things like have the cameras not be able to actually capture what the people are seeing, narration about how one of the explorers erased their footage because it was too horrifying, etc.

I'm not claiming it's impossible, but a movie where we get to see the crazy poo poo clearly is not At the Mountains of Madness, and a movie where we don't get to see it clearly is not what I want out of the guy who gave us this:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

PriorMarcus posted:

Is there a reason given for these Graboid's looking different? Is there a new twist to the life cycle?

That's it exactly.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I've never heard of this movie but this was recommended for me on Amazon and it caught my eye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Since the colour out of space is literally impossible to film as is (inventing a color that can't be seen by normal eyes yet is visible to the audience), doing it as a 3D effect where parts are extremely in the foreground and inner parts are extreme background, etc. would be a really cool effect.

If you really screwed with the depth of field in post production that would be badass. (But of course would look like poo poo on the home video release).

There was an adapation a few years ago; a German version called Die Fabre ("The Colour") (2010). It shot everything in black and white, except for the colour. which was purple (and the only coloured thing in the film).

It's not that bad an adaption really - it relocates the setting to rural mid-war Germany, and alters the framing device slightly to the son of the narrator character looking for his father, who has wandered off into the area. It's low budget, and some of the acting can be a bit hokey, but it's a pretty faithful adaptation.

Not the most exciting posters, however;

There's at least three other films using the premise from The Colour From Out of Space, but only very loosely.

The boring-rear end shlock-fest, Die, Monster, Die! (1965)

Can you stand the PURE TERROR of Karloff in a wheelchair?

And the better, but flawed, The Curse (1987)

And one independent Italian version, Colour From the Dark (Il Colore Dalle Tenebre) ( 2008)

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 30, 2015