Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

The Lord Bude posted:

Windows phone does it better though - It automatically comes on when your battery hits a user defined percentage.

That's not better. That's different. I prefer it asking imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

That's not better. That's different. I prefer it asking imo.

Asking only works if your phone happens to be on your person. Although I suppose iOS doesn't suffer from the typical Windows phone scenario of random app in the background suddenly deciding 'gently caress you imma eat your battery' and next thing you know your phone is hot to the touch and battery capacity went down 70% in half an hour while you were in the kitchen putting together a spot of lunch.

I've got to say I'm pretty impressed with the battery life of my 6S plus in general - I took it off the charger before I went to bed, 9 hours later when I woke up it was at 97% (My windows phone would drop 10-15% overnight, despite email not being set to push, and not having any always on type stuff like 'hey Siri' ) then after spending an hour and a half out for my breakfast/coffee, during which time I was surfing the web or browsing the forum, and playing music over bluetooth in my car, it's now at 87%. My old phone (which had a larger battery) would be around 65 - 70%.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Time for headphone jack gate/noisegate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdZ2-9qZipY

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Is anyone else's iCloud backup just huge now? I turned off all of the apps using more than1mb of space and it's still around 2.3gb when before I left many on and it topped out at 1.3. I don't have 100s of apps using like 43kb either, what gives?

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

tuyop posted:

Is anyone else's iCloud backup just huge now? I turned off all of the apps using more than1mb of space and it's still around 2.3gb when before I left many on and it topped out at 1.3. I don't have 100s of apps using like 43kb either, what gives?

Me!

All of a sudden two days ago, pretty much right after upgrading to 9.0.1 on two devices, I get an email saying I'm at 4.8GB. Have had an iphone 6 since Feb, an ipad air for a couple of years now, and never a peep from iCloud. Suddenly, bam! So I upgraded to 50GB (what the heck, $0.99 a month I can deal with), and we'll see what happens :iiam:

e: each backup is about 2.4 gigs, each was previously around the size of yours: 1.3 or so. I have photo backups turned off everywhere, in both iCloud and the photo app settings.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

DaNzA posted:

Time for headphone jack gate/noisegate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdZ2-9qZipY

Personally I wam waiting for nanometergate.

Still, if you are the kind of person who keeps his phone submerged in pyrex bowls, you are set.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

SimplyCosmic posted:

My social media feeds (and the local news) seem to be filled with links to this "Turn off this new iOS 9 setting if you don't have unlimited data" story. The original article has no real research into what's actually going on other than a bunch of tweets claiming that Wi-Fi Assist is causing people to suddenly use more of their mobile data than before.

Has anyone come across any articles that legitimately checked into this? My understanding is that the feature really only enables itself when the Wi-Fi signal is too weak to actually transmit data and works by automatically switching you over to the cellular radio earlier, like when you're just down the street from your house. Everyone in these stories seems to be implying that you wouldn't notice the switch, as if it doesn't always show the WiFi symbol being replaced with LTE/4G, but I don't think that's right.

If Wi-Fi Assist really is causing a problem, isn't it really a problem with an old or bad router that has a weak signal inside your house and you're constantly in that network's edge?

Yeah, I kinda called this being a thing. No matter what it says it will do / is meant to do, in actual use it will start sucking down data whilst still showing the wifi signal. I've noticed it, and a user a few pages ago was benchmarking his wifi and was bemused the iOS9 update had crippled his performance - turns out it was using cellular but showing the WiFi signal.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
So, Google is surprisingly unhelpful on this—mostly it's just a bunch of folk bellyaching.

I've been a WinPhone guy for nearly four years. At the end of the year, I'll be making the jump to iPhone. I'm looking at the 16GB 6. My current phone has 8GB of storage, and I don't think I've ever had issue with that. I pretty much only take photos, have about ten albums of music on there (and stream the rest) and don't play games or download video content. I'm not huge on listening to music on my phone—it's usually just a stopgap thing while I'm on a train, or something.

Will the 16GB be sufficient for my needs? I've heard people say it's far too little, that the OS takes up too much space, that you have to delete apps every time you want to upgrade, and so forth—but I don't know how much space they're using on things like music, pictures, and video. Also, are there any other sneaky ways storage uses could suddenly spiral out of control that's not related to stuff I install directly (apps/games/music/movies)?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I had a 16 GB phone up until now where I upgraded to 64 GB. I guess my usage pattern was similar to yours. I don't really own any music cause literally everything can just be screamed on YouTube. The only game I played was hearthstone. I didn't make videos tho I did make a ton of random photos and poo poo. 16 GB was "ok" and it "worked" but before I upgraded to my 6S I was constantly fighting with storage space.

Just go for the 64 and never worry about storage space. It's only $100 more and you have until the end of the year to make up that difference. Who knows if your usage pattern is gonna stay the same when you've got a newer super fast phone that opens up a camera instantly, or you do start downloading music or random movies and shows to watch while you're bored. Or you find a really cool game. Etc.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
So I had the 6 and started to get size envy after already reserving the 6S. Luckily when my reservation came up at the Apple Store they had just the 6S+ I wanted and I jumped at buying it. Now I. Having second thoughts about keeping it. I'm a pretty big guy but there's yet to be a day where I didn't feel like I was going to drop this thing trying to hold it. It's great at the gym on the elliptical where I watch Plex but when it comes to weights and I have to put it in my pocket i repeatedly have to adjust it so it will not fall out.

Did anyone downsize and if so, do you regret it?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Jeherrin posted:

So, Google is surprisingly unhelpful on this—mostly it's just a bunch of folk bellyaching.

I've been a WinPhone guy for nearly four years. At the end of the year, I'll be making the jump to iPhone. I'm looking at the 16GB 6. My current phone has 8GB of storage, and I don't think I've ever had issue with that. I pretty much only take photos, have about ten albums of music on there (and stream the rest) and don't play games or download video content. I'm not huge on listening to music on my phone—it's usually just a stopgap thing while I'm on a train, or something.

Will the 16GB be sufficient for my needs? I've heard people say it's far too little, that the OS takes up too much space, that you have to delete apps every time you want to upgrade, and so forth—but I don't know how much space they're using on things like music, pictures, and video. Also, are there any other sneaky ways storage uses could suddenly spiral out of control that's not related to stuff I install directly (apps/games/music/movies)?

What's more important to you, $100 or not needing to regularly janitor your storage?
You'll get bummed out when you play around with your new phone (1080p video, 240fps slowmo, etc) and then hit a wall because those things are huge.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Feenix posted:

4k iMovie uploaded to Youtube. Honestly still looks pretty impressive. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWM1aCsd9fE (make sure to select 2160 if you are able to view it...)

There's so much artifacting from the compression, I honestly don't see much (if any) advantage. I'm presuming this is because of YouTube rather than the capture.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

As someone who uses Spotify exclusively, barely takes photos, and deletes all unused apps, I'm constantly hitting the storage limit on my 16GB 5S. Get the 64GB.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Khablam posted:

What's more important to you, $100 or not needing to regularly janitor your storage?
You'll get bummed out when you play around with your new phone (1080p video, 240fps slowmo, etc) and then hit a wall because those things are huge.

Well, in four years I've shot undoubtedly less than five minutes of video on a phone, so I don't think this'll be an issue.

E:

Kazy posted:

As someone who uses Spotify exclusively, barely takes photos, and deletes all unused apps, I'm constantly hitting the storage limit on my 16GB 5S. Get the 64GB.

What's taking up the space, then?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Mahoning posted:

Anyone having an issue with the wallet app on the 6S? It seems like it isn't sizing anything properly. Here's some random movie ticket that was in my wallet.

My credit card in Apple Pay looks the same where it's like zoomed in too far.

I'm guessing you've upgraded from a 5 or 5S? This seems to be a widespread problem, I've got it too. For me it also affects the Watch and Health apps (not that I use either of those). For what it's worth, double tapping the home button while the phone's locked shows the wallet app at the correct size, it's just broken when launched from the springboard.

Khablam posted:

You say to stop signing horrible contracts but you're talking about three? They're historically awful at coming anywhere near the speeds of other networks as they've oversold for years. Probably from offering unlimited plans at low prices. Granted if they're better than they were that's a good deal (their site shows what you describe at £18) but they've always seemed like a good deal and they've always had trouble in built up areas.

Three were the first to get on board with not charging you for data usage abroad (I still don't know if anyone else actually offers that yet), and I've had 65mbit/s over the air in the middle of Cambridge. Sure out in the sticks their coverage isn't as good, but I've never had problems in built up areas.

I see all-you-can-eat data/200 mins for £17/month on a 12 month contract. Not the £12.99 originally suggested but I'm not sure why it's cheaper than you can see either.

--

I've got a problem with my iCloud usage that I'm not sure how to solve. It claims I'm using 2.5gb of my 5gb quota (which the iCloud system prefs panel on my Mac attributes almost entirely to backups), but I have no actual backups stored there. I've deleted both my iPad and iPhone backups in the last couple of days, as switching to new devices duplicated them and started sending me emails every night saying the backups failed due to insufficient space. Now I should have room to back up both, but it incorrectly thinks I'm using half my quota.

I had fully intended to upgrade to the 50gb tier when El Capitan's released tomorrow, but I'm unsure now if 50% of it can go missing with no explanation.

To be clear, I have no issue if the fact is that backups have grown slightly with iOS 9 as others have mentioned, but currently it's saying 2.5gb is used by backups and then listing zero backups to delete (on either my Mac, iPhone or iPad).

Edit: Through Googling I did find some people talking about similar problems with the early iOS 9 betas, but I never used the betas (and the problem has only cropped up since getting my new 6S a couple of days ago).

Froist fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Sep 29, 2015

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Jeherrin posted:

Well, in four years I've shot undoubtedly less than five minutes of video on a phone, so I don't think this'll be an issue.

E:

The apps I do use I guess? :confused: Biggest is Dropbox at 200ish MB though.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Froist posted:

Three were the first to get on board with not charging you for data usage abroad (I still don't know if anyone else actually offers that yet), and I've had 65mbit/s over the air in the middle of Cambridge. Sure out in the sticks their coverage isn't as good, but I've never had problems in built up areas.

I see all-you-can-eat data/200 mins for £17/month on a 12 month contract. Not the £12.99 originally suggested but I'm not sure why it's cheaper than you can see either.

Three are in talks to buy O2 also, which would dramatically improve any coverage shortfall in remote areas. I've never seen this myself however, and they have the best coverage in my area.

Yeah, I guess I just have that same plan, but got it a few years back. It's also monthly rolling - no 12 month contract or similar.
It was really great for travelling around Finland last summer, with unlimited 4G, for no additional charge.

Anyone who signs up for a mobile contract in UK / Europe without unlimited data is part of the problem, and is encouraging the carriers to rip us off.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

wooger posted:

Anyone who signs up for a mobile contract in UK / Europe without unlimited data is part of the problem, and is encouraging the carriers to rip us off.

Good luck finding a carrier that offers unlimited data in Germany. Tip: there is none

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Kazy posted:

Spotify caches everything you stream, so it's likely that. I used to be in the same boat and I'd have to reinstall Spotify every few weeks because it was using 3-4gb with nothing set to be stored locally.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

robodex posted:

Spotify caches everything you stream, so it's likely that. I used to be in the same boat and I'd have to reinstall Spotify every few weeks because it was using 3-4gb with nothing set to be stored locally.

Unless you set the song to 'Available online', the caches should not persist if you get low on space. iOS has a mechanism by which apps can store things temporarily with the understanding that the OS could delete them at absolutely any moment.

Facebook does this too for images and such IIRC.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

bronin posted:

Good luck finding a carrier that offers unlimited data in Germany. Tip: there is none

In Germany you are lucky if you get 1GB of data with your contract.

At least one provider in Denmark offers 100GB of data (usable all over Europe), that costs something like $60/month.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Yeah, same here. More than doubled in size and now it's too big to back up.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

The Bunk posted:

Yeah, same here. More than doubled in size and now it's too big to back up.

In iOS 9 it seems that some apps need to designate more clearly what date inside them should be uploaded - for example it wanted to back up my entire Spotify offline library which was some 45GB. Disabling apps you know to have loads of stuff inside of them seems to sort it.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I posted earlier in the thread about weird hitching/lagging/unresponsiveness on my 6s (on 9.1) and restarting was previously making it go away but now I've found that restarting doesn't make it stop, but turning off my wifi does. I want to actually single this down to a real problem with a real cause instead of this awful description I just typed, does this sound similar to any other issues you guys have had with previous iPhones? I have no idea what I'm looking for here.

And yes turning wifi back on causes it immediately do it again. Luckily I won't be too messed up by being on data only for a few days while I figure this out. Yay fake unlimited data!

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Kidney Stone posted:

In Germany you are lucky if you get 1GB of data with your contract.

At least one provider in Denmark offers 100GB of data (usable all over Europe), that costs something like $60/month.

What's stopping people from getting a Danish number/SIM?

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Pivo posted:

Unless you set the song to 'Available online', the caches should not persist if you get low on space. iOS has a mechanism by which apps can store things temporarily with the understanding that the OS could delete them at absolutely any moment.

Facebook does this too for images and such IIRC.

In my experience this rarely happened, or only happened when I had literally 0 free space.

[edit] To clarify, I can see "your phone will clear it automatically!" being a good argument if it actually worked that way or if there was a way to force it--but half the time I'm getting "your phone is out of space" errors or crashes related to the huge amount of caching my apps do. With 16gb being super common for phone size it's a pretty sore state where Apple basically lets apps cache to their hearts content with the solution being "your phone will clear it eventually, maybe! :downs:"

Like seriously. I just added up all the space reported as being used by apps on my phone. I'm at around ~7gb and yet I'm hovering at about 50mb free. The only solution I have to fix it manually is backing up my phone weekly and restoring from iCloud to clear the cache.

robodex fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 29, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

tuyop posted:

My iPhone's backup is about the same at 1.7 GB, but my iPad's has apparently ballooned to 4 GB, so I guess I need to see what's using that, though I have 200 GB until my billing cycle ends, when it drops to 50 GB, which will still leave me with like 10 GB of space, so at least it's not a big deal.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Despite being in my mid twenties I'm still on my parents family plan (I pay). My parents switched to Verizon yesterday and I took the opportunity to buy an iPhone 6S (I have a 5s right now so it's a real upgrade). The thing is when they asked what model they should pick up for me at the Verizon store I asked for the 16gb model: I've had a 16gb iPhone for the past six years or so and I never thought it'd be a problem. Reading reviews and thinking about it more, I'm now understanding why 16gb might not be enough anymore (I need the phone to last me about two years). How important is it that I figure out how to change for a 64gb phone?

Keep in mind it would be difficult to do the exchange: I live in New York but my parents (and their Verizon store) are in Connecticut. I also have to imagine they didn't keep their receipt. Finally they're switching carriers so if the 64gb model is on back order or something (and it has to be space grey, I won't deal with white bezel for two years) I might be without a working phone in the interim. So I only want to make the change if trying to live with the 16gb phone for two years is going to be a real disaster.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
It really depends on the kind of phone user you are. I'm using Spotify for all music and I'm going to start paying for iCloud once my photos get to a crazy amount (or actually prune my photos/store them somewhere else). So it didn't make sense for me to start using 64 when 16 was fine for me on my 5c. That being said if you don't want to obsessively prune what apps you have on your phone or if you ever plan to record more then 2 minutes of video then probably you should just switch phones.

Re: Verizon store issues, have your parents make you an authorized person on the plan. I THINK that makes you able to make decisions like "please switch my phone" but I'm not sure if I'm remembering that right, it's been a year since I was on my Verizon family plan.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
When I was using spotify I had like three playlist (two were pretty big though with close to 100 songs each), nothing saved to the phone and the cache was over 4gb. I could imagine that if you had a lot of playlists and or music saved to your phone even if you didn't need 64gb it would probably be your best bet. A 32gb base tier would have been ideal for me but wasn't in the cards unfortunately.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

GenericGirlName posted:

Re: Verizon store issues, have your parents make you an authorized person on the plan. I THINK that makes you able to make decisions like "please switch my phone" but I'm not sure if I'm remembering that right, it's been a year since I was on my Verizon family plan.

Yup have them authorize you on the account and you have to know the account pin but it gives you full access. We do the same, my wife and I are on my parents family plan to reduce the cost for everyone. I just ordered the 6s and was able to do it on my own accord. The only hitch is the shipping address always defaults to my parents in another state. 3 years in a row that's been an issue.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
I poked around Verizon's website but couldn't find it.. can you hop on Asurion phone insurance if you buy the phone through Apple (financing). I like it over AppleCare for theft/loss.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

PSA: It seems that (at least with an Amex card), your first payment on the Apple Upgrade Program shows up as a pending charge with a vendor name of "Other/Misc," until it posts. Then it shows correctly as Citizens Bank.

So you end up with a pending charge from when Apple swipes your card at the store, and then this funky looking charge, with a slightly different dollar amount on each. The one from at the Apple Store was for about $109, the mystery one was $101. It turned out that the financing contract showed the initial payment amount and that jived with the $101 number, and I only realized that because I searched my Gmail archive for that dollar amount to see if there were any online orders I had forgotten about.

I almost reported my card stolen because what the gently caress is a vendor called "other/misc."

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

So for the Apple upgrade program, if I want to buy a new phone for my mother in law, who is on someone else phone plan, does she need to be there to get it activated?

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Zwille posted:

What's stopping people from getting a Danish number/SIM?

I guess it's the fact that they need a Danish address, and an entry in the national personal registry. A Danish bank account is also needed to pay the phone bill.

Unless you have that, you can only get a pre paid number with like 1GB of data, with no roaming.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Figured as much. Although the EU has been relatively good at lowering text message prices, here's hoping they force everyone to offer similarly generous data plans. O2 Germany already has country agnostic (within the EU) data plans, but still just single digits for €30 or something.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Jeherrin posted:

E:

For what it's worth your 16GB advertised size is gonna be approximately 14.9 (and most likely less) due to the difference in base 2 and base 10 numbers. My 6s shows that iOS takes up about 4GB and then my modest set of apps takes up another 8.5GB. It's a new phone so I have no pictures, videos, or music on this phone yet. And I'm pretty obsessive about deleting apps that I don't use too. Your 16GB iPhone is gonna end up having like 2GB left from just a basic install plus a few apps.

So yeah I mean if this doesn't matter to you enough to be worth $100 then I dunno.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

PSA: It seems that (at least with an Amex card), your first payment on the Apple Upgrade Program shows up as a pending charge with a vendor name of "Other/Misc," until it posts. Then it shows correctly as Citizens Bank.

So you end up with a pending charge from when Apple swipes your card at the store, and then this funky looking charge, with a slightly different dollar amount on each. The one from at the Apple Store was for about $109, the mystery one was $101. It turned out that the financing contract showed the initial payment amount and that jived with the $101 number, and I only realized that because I searched my Gmail archive for that dollar amount to see if there were any online orders I had forgotten about.

I almost reported my card stolen because what the gently caress is a vendor called "other/misc."

Same exact thing happened with me. On a 64GB model I got auth'ed for 109 up front, then got another charge for 83.39 from other/misc in Melville NY.
I panicked and almost called to report it to Amex.

Now a couple days later, it looks like the 83.39 posted, while the 109 is still sitting in "pending".

The 83.39 jives with my receipt from Citizens/Apple as my first payment. I believe someone mentioned earlier in this thread that the hold was what Apples puts on (3 months payment up front) until your loan gets fully approved and your first payment charged.

On a non-related side note, I'm still getting used to the TouchID working SO fast. (Coming from a 5s) When I want to actually view the lock screen, I have to just use the Wake/Sleep button on the side...(first world problems indeed!)

metavisual fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 29, 2015

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

EL BROMANCE posted:

There's so much artifacting from the compression, I honestly don't see much (if any) advantage. I'm presuming this is because of YouTube rather than the capture.

Yes, it's Youtube. But as far as Youtubes go, it's definitely cleaner than a 1080p.

Here's a screen cap from Youtube: (not bad for being in fast motion...)

Here's a screen cap from the source .mov:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Neurophonic posted:

In iOS 9 it seems that some apps need to designate more clearly what date inside them should be uploaded - for example it wanted to back up my entire Spotify offline library which was some 45GB. Disabling apps you know to have loads of stuff inside of them seems to sort it.

Yeah, I eventually tracked it to my dashcam app. It was throwing me off because I hadn't been backing it up before so it was at the bottom of the list (even though the app list is under 'Next Backup Size' things are sorted and show the amount of storage currently being used).