Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

And yeah, Google seems like they're ceding the entire phone season to Apple this time around and it's weird.

Er, Google never completed with apple with Nexus devices.

I'm betting packaging concerns with the fingerprint sensor precludes wireless charging and a lot more people are going to use the sensor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
If the battery life is top-tier on either phone, and considering that USB-C is reversible, loosing qi charging might be OK. I mean, only having to plug in once a day and not having to play the find-the-right-direction game with the plug isn't life shattering.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

bull3964 posted:

Er, Google never completed with apple with Nexus devices.

Not directly, but when you share a market with a similar thing, and people have very little reason to acquire and utilize at once more than one of the thing you both are, you're in competition with the similar thing whether you wish to be or not.

bull3964 posted:

I'm betting packaging concerns with the fingerprint sensor precludes wireless charging and a lot more people are going to use the sensor.

Well that and it's hard to imagine what kind of software would need to be developed specifically toward a wireless charging system if the charging system was designed at all competently. That is, the charging system is just a dumb power input (like AC, contrast with a potentially smart power input like USB), so unless you're a driver or hardware profiler developer you don't actually need to write software for it. And since userland software development is ostensibly the Nexus's point, regardless of the feelings of the Android community, Google didn't see the need to include it.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 29, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
No qi charging, no sale. I am never going back to wires.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Well that and it's hard to imagine what kind of software would need to be developed specifically toward a wireless charging system if the charging system was designed at all competently. That is, the charging system is just a dumb power input (like AC, contrast with a potentially smart power input like USB), so unless you're a driver or hardware profiler developer you don't actually need to write software for it. And since userland software development is ostensibly the Nexus's point, regardless of the feelings of the Android community, Google didn't see the need to include it.

Who's talking about software?

The fingerprint sensor takes physical space on the back of the device and who know's what components are necessary under it until the thing is torn apart. Qi coil probably just wasn't possible or likely not possible in a way that wouldn't require the phone to be placed very lopsided on the charger.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

bull3964 posted:

Anybody talking about computers. To your intended deflection - presumably 'who's talking about Android software development' - anybody talking about Nexuses.

Google's intent for the Nexus line is that they be Android development test-beds. That they usually make for pretty drat good Android phones and tablets for regular users is incidental.

If they thought people would be developing Qi-specific software they'd have found a way to make it fit and drat the consequences.

v v v Camera2 API :eng101:

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 29, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Google hasn't really intended Nexus device's primary use case to be software testbeds for quite awhile (indeed, they've created their own internal test beds when it has suited them, see Tango.) Otherwise, they really wouldn't give a poo poo about doing things like improving camera hardware.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

ThermoPhysical posted:

Looks like Android Pay completely locks up if you don't have a valid credit/debit card.

My bank switched over to a chip card and the grandfathered card no longer works. Now, since I don't have a card, Android Pay completely locks me out of the multiple loyalty cards I already had stored in just because I can't add my other card.

Welp. :v:

Get KeyRing, it's a dedicated rewards card replacement app and is well supported. It has all the same features Wallet had for reward cards, plus more, including a useful widget.

Whizbang posted:

How is the leather back on the Moto X Pure Edition?

I like it, and it seems high quality. So far I haven't noticed any stains or tears, but the leather is quite thin. This means it has no suppleness or give like most leather and it therefore feels a little plastic-y. It's also textured like the plastic, which helps with grip. If you like the look of leather it's worth the $25, but if you're going more for the feel you may be disappointed.

Wax Dynasty fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 29, 2015

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

LastInLine posted:

Given Google's recommitment to support for Nexus devices, the N6 will be supported for another 18-24 months.

Speaking of, where is the best place to buy a new N6?

It's currently $350 on Amazon - http://smile.amazon.com/Motorola-Unlocked-Cellphone-Midnight-Warranty/dp/B00R1984DI

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

bull3964 posted:

Google hasn't really intended Nexus device's primary use case to be software testbeds for quite awhile (indeed, they've created their own internal test beds when it has suited them, see Tango.) Otherwise, they really wouldn't give a poo poo about doing things like improving camera hardware.
If it's not a testbed, and not flagship (given lack of OIS, Qi, etc), then what is the point of a Nexus device?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

The Merkinman posted:

If it's not a testbed, and not flagship (given lack of OIS, Qi, etc), then what is the point of a Nexus device?

We'll find out!

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

The Merkinman posted:

It's a reasonably priced mid-tier phone with good support.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

The fingerprint sensor takes physical space on the back of the device and who know's what components are necessary under it until the thing is torn apart. Qi coil probably just wasn't possible or likely not possible in a way that wouldn't require the phone to be placed very lopsided on the charger.

Probably more a matter of price. Pre-N6 the Nexus line was quite affordable, and was probably built to a price. To include Qi and the finger print sensor probably put it a little out of their price target.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

bull3964 posted:

Tango is a separate Google project, it's not the Android team. And why wouldn't they care about improving the camera? They're literally used as reference devices for the platform, you need to be able to test the stuff you're developing, and that includes advances in the Camera API. And it's not like they're best in class or anything

Kinda weird that none of the new ones have an SD slot, for that reason

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

So reasonable 4.7" screens are gone forever, right?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

FogHelmut posted:

Moto G is a little smaller, but it should do it.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The Merkinman posted:

An affordable stock android phone I guess

But at this point I can't imagine anyone choosing one of those 2 nexuses over the Pure/Style.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Syrinxx posted:

But at this point I can't imagine anyone choosing one of those 2 nexuses over the Pure/Style.

I'd get the N5X just for the update situation.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Wax Dynasty posted:

Get KeyRing, it's a dedicated rewards card replacement app and is well supported. It has all the same features Wallet had for reward cards, plus more, including a useful widget.

Thank you!

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/09/29/full-nexus-6p-press-release-with-pricing-for-various-sizes-in-several-countries-leaked/

Pricing for the Nexus 6P

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
With the purchase of my new phone I got 2 years of 100GB of Drive storage. Can I change my plan of unlimited photos to the one where its higher resolution and it will make those changes to my previous photos, or only on photos going forwards?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
Event starts in an hour, is there an event thread?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I'd get the N5X just for the update situation.

The big problem is carrier fuckery more than anything, the Pure will still get updates wayyyy before LG/Samsung/HTC/whatever.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 20, 2018

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Protocol7 posted:

The big problem is carrier fuckery more than anything, the Pure will still get updates wayyyy before LG/Samsung/HTC/whatever.

Nexus updates can be manually pushed to devices without any carrier interaction.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
I dunno a whole bunch of other devices got 5.1 before the MotoX 2014 did this time around.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Red Warrior posted:

I dunno a whole bunch of other devices got 5.1 before the MotoX 2014 did this time around.

Yep and Stagefright. Getting beat by Samsung to updates despite being near stock is pretty drat embarrassing. And the 2013 X Lollipop update was terrible. If you're buying a Moto for quick and good updates, all you really have to base that on is how things used to be like two years ago

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

FogHelmut posted:

Are we on the right day for screenchat?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

SB35 posted:

Event starts in an hour, is there an event thread?

We usually make this the event thread and then soon after just make a new thread. I don't really care one way or the other, though. Does anyone think a separate event thread is better?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Eh they are supposedly talking about a couple new chromecasts too so it's not just going to be phones and marshmallow.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

We usually make this the event thread and then soon after just make a new thread. I don't really care one way or the other, though. Does anyone think a separate event thread is better?

I think the idea of using the old thread one last time as the event thread and just making a new thread when a new Nexus device comes out works fine.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

HTC picked a sweet time to announce a new phone no one cares about
http://www.fonearena.com/blog/158759/htc-introduces-new-one-m9-with-21mp-camera-laser-af-and-ois.html

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I think the idea of using the old thread one last time as the event thread and just making a new thread when a new Nexus device comes out works fine.

Cool. I just wanna make sure I'm shitposting in the right place.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Syrinxx posted:

I'm thinking about getting a 5x because it's smaller than the pure, it comes with M, at this point I don't trust moto to stay on top of updates, I like the appearance more, and I don't give a gently caress about qi. v:geno:v

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

any idea where we can watch a live stream of the event?

e: seems like google just links to their youtube channel. just gotta F5 that in a few I guess

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Link to the YouTube stream for this thing?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

ilkhan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/google/live

nimper fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 29, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ilkhan posted:

I'll put it in the OP when it's available.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

WhyteRyce posted:

Yep and Stagefright. Getting beat by Samsung to updates despite being near stock is pretty drat embarrassing. And the 2013 X Lollipop update was terrible. If you're buying a Moto for quick and good updates, all you really have to base that on is how things used to be like two years ago

Samsung along with other manufacturers have gotten much better at updating their phones now that Google releases preview builds long before the final version. Motorola's advantage was being part of Google which is no longer the case so the playing field has evened out.

If your primary concern with an Android phone is getting the update as quick as possible then Nexus is your best bet. If you want different features but are worried about long term support Samsung and Motorola are both solid choices.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Live stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc-LEG0T_4c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Now I can furiously refresh the store on my other monitor. Take my money damnit.