Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

sinking belle posted:

What's the deal with that image? I spy the old school forehead swastika Outer Heaven logo in the background there.

they took it off the skull completely, then again it was always the that other swastika that meant peace or something or in mg1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Huh? Just a ghost...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TezBDM6Vyhg

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

lovely Wizard posted:

Apparently if I shill a video hard enough, I can win a combat bag computer from Nvidia with two mgs decals slapped on it real quick.

https://contests.nvidia.com/en-us/share-every-win-mgsv?stackla=ct_560a478468cb772bd4db14e7

You have to click the heart/like if you want me to win. If you don't want me to win, click the X in the corner and vote for one of the top 3 in an attempt to make me lose. If I win, I will take pictures of the combat bag computer.

Also self-shilling unrelated -Also how many nukes are you guys up to disarmed? I'm up to 49 :

awesome, one more nuke and you can tell us if that unlocks that cutscene or not. it was suggested it was around 50 disarmed nukes due to the credits listing 50 random steam names of presumably, those you stole nukes from.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

We dont get any closure on DD. :(
At the age of 10, he peacefully retires to the Zoo Platform, which Solid Snake never invades. Young Sniper Wolf trains him to herd all the animals onto lifeboats and escape.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

At the age of 10, he peacefully retires to the Zoo Platform, which Solid Snake never invades. Young Sniper Wolf trains him to herd all the animals onto lifeboats and escape.

Somewhere in the world there is an Outer Haven Farm that has remained hidden from the world.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Why did Zero/Paramedic name the lovely clone after him?

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

awesome, one more nuke and you can tell us if that unlocks that cutscene or not. it was suggested it was around 50 disarmed nukes due to the credits listing 50 random steam names of presumably, those you stole nukes from.

I can confirm it doesn't, haven't seen anything yet.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

grancheater posted:

Paramedic, actually knowing how genetics works, knows there is no such thing as "the lovely clone"

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Is it weird that I haven't had any invasions yet? I've built a few platforms for my FOB, and I assumed that would make me a more likely target. I reached hero status, does that make invasions less likely? I've been playing for quite a while so I figured someone would have tried already.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Dominant and recessive genes don't correspond to lovely/good clones, Liquid just misunderstood the concept.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Is it weird that I haven't had any invasions yet? I've built a few platforms for my FOB, and I assumed that would make me a more likely target. I reached hero status, does that make invasions less likely? I've been playing for quite a while so I figured someone would have tried already.
I'm in a similar situation, and I've been wondering the same thing. I have no actual knowledge of how the system works, but my best guess is that it's because I haven't attacked anyone else. It probably wants to match completely new players with other completely new players, and because there are a lot of people playing right now, it can easily match someone who's never done an invasion with someone who's never been invaded - but because most people just want to play the single-player game and don't give a poo poo about the online component, there are way more people who've never been invaded than people who want to do their first invasion, so it's very unlikely for any given player to be chosen as their target. If that makes sense.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just go invade a bunch of people, or if you want to do defenses, go add everyone you can from the relationship panel/random.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The scene has matured to a point where you aren't getting invaded unless your BDU is 1-2 decks, you have nukes, or because you are a revenge target.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

I'm in a similar situation, and I've been wondering the same thing. I have no actual knowledge of how the system works, but my best guess is that it's because I haven't attacked anyone else. It probably wants to match completely new players with other completely new players, and because there are a lot of people playing right now, it can easily match someone who's never done an invasion with someone who's never been invaded - but because most people just want to play the single-player game and don't give a poo poo about the online component, there are way more people who've never been invaded than people who want to do their first invasion, so it's very unlikely for any given player to be chosen as their target. If that makes sense.

The attacker gets to choose their target from a list that absolutely does include brand new people. Completely unupgraded or single platform FOBs are super unappealing since they give poo poo rewards, at least as long as the Base Development one isn't at rank 1. On top of that it scales the rewards with the relative ranking. Invading other scrubs used to get me almost 100k GMP, S rank recuits and a good chunk of resources when I was new but a low ranked 1 strut platform only gets me 40k (less than deployment essentially),50 Wormwood/Tarragon and no recruits at all and there are so few containers that the deployment cost + fulton cost isn't worth the 2k online fuel.

Domattee fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 29, 2015

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

ZoninSilver posted:

I can confirm it doesn't, haven't seen anything yet.

ah, then i guess it's an event only thing, whenever that happens (probably oct 6th). which would explain the date, time and wording stuff before the cutscene starts.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Domattee posted:

The attacker gets to choose their target from a list that absolutely does include brand new people. Completely unupgraded or single platform FOBs are super unappealing since they give poo poo rewards, at least as long as the Base Development one isn't at rank 1. On top of that it scales the rewards with the relative ranking. Invading other scrubs used to get me almost 100k GMP, S rank recuits and a good chunk of resources when I was new but a low ranked 1 strut platform only gets me 40k (less than deployment essentially),50 Wormwood/Tarragon and no recruits at all and there are so few containers that the deployment cost + fulton cost isn't worth the 2k online fuel.
Okay. I said that because when I look at the list, it always gives me my choice of 8 to 10 people with a blank win/loss record, and there seems to be enough people like that in the pool that I could back out of the menu and refresh it over and over all day without ever seeing the same person show up twice. But you're saying that a more experienced invader would still sometimes be offered targets like that, but if they're smart they'd go for someone else because there wouldn't be anything in it for them?

I don't know how good the targets I'm being offered are, because I don't really know what an invader would be looking for. For that matter, I don't know what or how much would be at stake if someone invaded me, either. The system doesn't explain itself very well.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So I just beat TPP Chapter 1, and god drat if "bugs that selectively kill you according to which language you speak" is not the single most loving balls out retarded literary concept I have ever even been able to conceptualize. It might be one of the single dumbest things I've ever heard.

Not to mention the whole "nah, people don't think in concepts and mental pictures, they think along the narrow lines of the words they're given, oh and languages are not living, dynamic things that change almost daily to some degree, meaning that language is a manifestation of the thoughts and communicative needs of the population that speaks it, it's a static thing imposed upon people to control their thoughts" thing is also equally as retarded, and proven flat out wrong decades ago.

I love the gameplay to death, but MGS5 story was a flat out embarrassment.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 29, 2015

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I find the idea of a disease that spreads through language really appealing, but I agree that having it be a parasite is pretty silly. I'd honestly have found it more plausible if they'd said it was a magic psychic curse or something.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

So I just beat TPP Chapter 1, and god drat if "bugs that selectively kill you according to which language you speak" is not the single most loving balls out retarded literary concept I have ever even been able to conceptualize. It might be one of the single dumbest things I've ever heard.

Not to mention the whole "nah, people don't think in concepts and mental pictures, they think along the narrow lines of the words they're given, oh and languages are not living, dynamic things that change almost daily to some degree, meaning that language is a manifestation of the thoughts and communicative needs of the population that speaks it, it's a static thing imposed upon people to control their thoughts" thing is also equally as retarded, and proven flat out wrong decades ago.

I love the gameplay to death, but MGS5 story was a flat out embarrassment.
it’s dumb but I’m assuming they’re going for a words-as-control 1984 Newspeak thing. Which, as you said, is kinda a thing of its time :shrug:

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

I find the idea of a disease that spreads through language really appealing, but I agree that having it be a parasite is pretty silly. I'd honestly have found it more plausible if they'd said it was a magic psychic curse or something.

There's no such thing, only cutting edge technology.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Actually, I think the parasites are honestly one of the most plausible bullshit things in the series. Metallic archaea are actual real things (they've even found bacteria that can thrive in crude oil, and we've also proved it's possible to bioengineer bacteria and other simple organisms to respond or feed on certain materials/other organisms), so what's so farfetched about 'parasites that have been bred to respond to certain sounds as a trigger for their mating cycle'?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Luminaflare posted:

I believe you don't need an interpreter if you're playing as a soldier who speaks the relevant language.

This isn't true.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

3# The checkpoint system flat out does not work, why the hell didn’t they let you save where you want?

Because the game is based around set states, especially around enemy awareness and positioning. The game saves once you've left an active area and registers what you've done. This is a positive because while it means you have to redo things it also means you're not forced into an alert or even potentially unwinnable state by a save. Being able to redo a section is actually better design than 'save anywhere' because it allows you to reset to zero should you fail or die, and also means you can't just save-scum to avoid ever getting caught. With the current design you have to actually deal with the consequences of a screwup and figure out how to get around it. It can lead to lost progress but that is not an unacceptable design choice. (Another recent game to use it is Alien: Isolation where quick-save would absolutely shatter the game's tension.)

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

RatHat posted:

This isn't true.

Really? I'd heard that it was but by that point I already had all the interpreters.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Alabaster White posted:

Actually, I think the parasites are honestly one of the most plausible bullshit things in the series. Metallic archaea are actual real things (they've even found bacteria that can thrive in crude oil, and we've also proved it's possible to bioengineer bacteria and other simple organisms to respond or feed on certain materials/other organisms), so what's so farfetched about 'parasites that have been bred to respond to certain sounds as a trigger for their mating cycle'?

Well for one, the language wouldn't sound the same in the throat as outside the mouth. if you were a parasite living on vocal chords, all you'd hear is pitch. You likely wouldn't hear any of the subtleties of specific language at all with regards to tongue or lip function. Any difference in spoken language that you could actually perceive from that vantage point would be so inconsequential that it would be virtually impossible to select for, not to mention totally overshadowed by the differences of the voices of individual hosts anyway.

I don't care how many boring audio tapes there are of Code Talker sperging the gently caress out about the "science" behind it, the entire concept is so implausible that, like the guy above me said, literally magic would be more believable.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

grancheater posted:

Better question, who the gently caress is Liquid named after?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eli_(biblical_figure)

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

GreatGreen posted:

...literally magic would be more believable.

This is pretty much the bar at which I set my expectations for the story in any Metal Gear Solid game. I suspect for some people the intersection of the earnest absurdity and the realistic attention to detail is a big part of the appeal.

I don't see how it's an "embarrassment". I mean I can see that if you came into it expecting the "science" to be remotely realistic you might be disappointed by the fact that it isn't. But this kind of gloriously ridiculous anime inspired crazy has been part of the series since the beginning.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Furthermore its absolutely absurd for Sahelanthropus to turn its armor into a nuclear weapon because of the need of fissile geometry and fairly soon after release someone did the math and found out that Quiet, in fact, does not have enough skin surface area to supply the calories needed to live.

I feel like I was ripped off by this interactive encyclopedia of the 80s.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

At least vocal cord parasites and metallic archaea are something different than nanomachines (, son) which have been the go-to magic technology in the series ever since Shadow Moses in the chronology.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Funky Valentine posted:

In short, in the Bible, David had a brother named Eli.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Party Boat posted:

So literally the only purpose of nukes is to prevent low level players from invading your FOB (which is something you don't want to happen because their stream of inevitable failures is a nice revenue stream) and it also makes you a juicy target for high level players and disarmament groups.

...Metal Gear really is anti nuke.

Yeah, for some reason Japanese video games and movies are really against the idea of nuclear weapons.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

FractalSandwich posted:

Except that parasitism is a big theme in the game. And super-organisms.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Yeah, as in: one tape has the old guy saying "MB is superorganism, kinda". That's it, that's the whole theme.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Terminally Bored posted:

Yeah, as in: one tape has the old guy saying "MB is superorganism, kinda". That's it, that's the whole theme.

Well I mean, yeah? The idea that PFs (PMCs) are parasites on the world may not be super deep, but neither is NUKES R BAD, K

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Depth's not the problem. You go through a warehouse full of nuclear warheads in MGS1, the antinuclear theme is tied to the gameplay really well and it's memorable that way. In V you just hear one conversation.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Snak posted:

Well I mean, yeah? The idea that PFs (PMCs) are parasites on the world may not be super deep, but neither is NUKES R BAD, K
Oddly enough, both dovetail to produce a commentary on how influential and likely destructive Big Boss' actions can be!

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Terminally Bored posted:

Depth's not the problem. You go through a warehouse full of nuclear warheads in MGS1, the antinuclear theme is tied to the gameplay really well and it's memorable that way. In V you just hear one conversation.
Kaz insinuates that theme constantly from Peace Walker through TPP, he's always talking about living off the scraps of world conflict and the organization existing for its own survival with no interest in the greater good of the world. He's this close to outright saying "WE'RE LIKE PARASITES, YOU SEE," and then TPP actually has the parasite guy say exactly that.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

Oddly enough, both dovetail to produce a commentary on how influential and likely destructive Big Boss' actions can be!

Yeah I'm not complaining. I think the whole story and world of V is pretty great from the "I read about it on wikipedia" perspective of learning it from tapes. I wish that more of it would have presented in the cutscenes and missions themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Testing has found that camo is drat near worthless as it only really works when crouching (basically you get spotted while standing/crouching in daylight at 65m but if crouchwalking in the right camo it's 35m, everything else is unchanged). But as it turns out, in complete darkness guards can't actually see at all. If you're getting spotted at night it's because you're going into light or making a lot of noise so they whip out flashlights.

• Locked thread