Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Zinjnok posted:

You've probably done a ton of research on your neurological condition.

hmm

PostNouveau posted:

That book sounds cool as poo poo

hmmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Rick and Morty is pretty much the best jokes from three or four episodes of harmontown distilled into a cartoon. You should all watch it.

Now.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Yes.

HArmontwon is the imrpov part, and then rick and morty is where the refine it to something loving presentable. IT's pretty neat to see. Even Ice T makes it in.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i think that's part of the reason i stopped listening to harmontown, rick and morty just took harmontown and cut all the chaff out

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I think Dan needs to give Spencer one of those Tingle Sticks to jab Dan with to make him take a drat shower more often. Christ.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
It's amazing how much better Adomian's Bernie Sanders bit went than last time. Mostly because people are actually aware of who Sanders is now I guess.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

joedevola posted:

It's amazing how much better Adomian's Bernie Sanders bit went than last time. Mostly because people are actually aware of who Sanders is now I guess.

I mean look, the fact of the matter is, that the top 10% of Harmenians in attendance, feel 99% of the Bern.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Waffleopolis posted:

I think Dan needs to give Spencer one of those Tingle Sticks to jab Dan with to make him take a drat shower more often. Christ.

Spencer's beard growth has progressed from "Game Store Owner" to "Discovery Channel star" so

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Jeff asking "should we just stop playing Shadowrun?" when they were all babbling about the contract and time limit and whatever was the first time I yelled at a podcast.

Just shut it down, especially if you're doing another roleplaying thing that prevents you from doing more than 10 minutes of Shadowrun in an episode now.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 23, 2015

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Illinois Smith posted:

Jeff asking "should we just stop playing Shadowrun?" when they were all babbling about the contract and time limit and whatever was the first time I yelled at a podcast.

That's the part that kills be about all of this. D&D, for how Harmontown and most everyone else in the world plays it, is more of a blank canvas for sword and sorcery roleplay. It can be as great or as stupid as the group wants it to be.

Shadowrun is a more concise "game"- and almost every time they play it they either go completely off the roleplay and just do monologues for laughs or they get caught up in figuring out how the specific lore of the game is supposed to work.

Listening to people make repeated damage rolls is awful too, but they could just NOT do that. Spencer has a great mind for roleplay and entertaining a crowd, it's insane to me that he doesn't just tell a story around the dice rolling that he does behind a curtain anyway.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Spencer peaked. He tires of this job.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

KoRMaK posted:

Spencer peaked. He tires of this job.

Yeah, what Spencer does after Harmontown ends is going to be interesting. He has no apparent skills or education. He's not a good actor or personality. Dan basically came in and put Spencer's life on pause for five years, so when all this ends, Spencer is going to have nothing to really fall back on.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Eh, Spencer has a good mind for story, which can only be benefitted by hanging around Dan's story circle for the last five years. I think he'll do fine.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Yea but he seems unmotivated.

also, 5 years??! This thing been going on for 5 years?!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Nope. It started June 16, 2012.

Spencer's a wildcard, but I'm sure he's capable of getting folded into Dan's production company.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

A date that will live in infamy.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I hate Shadowrun as much as I loved D&D. I would love it if they picked up where the old characters left off.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

When they brought up the possibility of doing Shadowrun, I was really hoping they would set it somewhere they all knew like Los Angeles, if only to avoid that awful Seattle Shadowrun slang and to let them milk some comedy out of familiarity...

Also after watching Matt Mercer run an D&D game on Critical Role I have a hard time enjoying other "semi-well known people play RPGs" unless they're really, really enjoying themselves.

Really though, so many squishy, rules-light story games out there that would be great for this sort of group, I don't know why they decided to pick something so rules intensive.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I just heard Kevin McLeod - Who Likes to Party coming from the phone a three-year-old girl was using. I should have asked her if she likes Shadowrun better than D&D.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
beep beep, boop boop

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Paladin posted:

Really though, so many squishy, rules-light story games out there that would be great for this sort of group, I don't know why they decided to pick something so rules intensive.
The argument Sixler always makes, and I'm not sure I agree, is "they won't use the rules anyway because they're drunk". But something like "Roll 2d6, add your stat and tell me when you got" seems easy enough for anyone who knows where they are.

With a black-box system like 3.5 or Shadowrun, it's easy to roll a die and say "that doesn't happen", even if the gang has no idea what to do next. It also means not giving a fair chance to ridiculous bullshit, but as a GM you can always say "I don't find that reasonable, but you could do X."

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Golden Bee posted:

The argument Sixler always makes, and I'm not sure I agree, is "they won't use the rules anyway because they're drunk". But something like "Roll 2d6, add your stat and tell me when you got" seems easy enough for anyone who knows where they are.

That's the problem though, they never know where they are because they're super drunk when it's time to play.

Even then, what makes it entertaining is if you just roll with whatever's happening. Dan is either drunk enough to do so or isn't and acts super pissy about what's going on. At least Jeff (and ol' Bernie) know to commit to it and plow on through.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

That's cause Jeff knows how to fight through bad improv haha

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I also can't imagine it's fun to run D&D for your boss.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
For free, at least.

Hopefully, Spencer grows a pair at some point and sues Dan for the hundreds of hours of unpaid overtime he put into Harmontown.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Oh, so thats felicia day.

Only got like 10 minutes into her being on, not on board with it. Gonna finish the ep later.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

KoRMaK posted:

Oh, so thats felicia day.

Only got like 10 minutes into her being on, not on board with it. Gonna finish the ep later.

I enjoyed her on her way more than most of her television appearances because she is explicitly not playing that character she is always forced into on TV.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

In a vacuum though, how much did you enjoy her.

Her story about her mom glomming onto people that could make her a star and name dropping her when she gets into an accident was :pwn:

But then harmon stumbled over himself talking about being a girl gamer - that was funny. Dumb idiot baby

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That was a good "background noise" episode, as far as I can tell, having not really paid attention while listening.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Was Felicia Day losing her voice or something? If Dan hadn't introduced her before she came out, I wouldn't know it was her. Her voice sounded completely different.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Shadowrun was hilariously to the point after spinning their wheels and doing nothing for weeks and weeks.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
Felicia Day was a good guest, but she reminded me of everything that annoys me about my American friends. The demented need to structure social interactions. It always has to be a board game night or some poo poo, it's never enough to just sit around blocked and have a bit of craic.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

joedevola posted:

t's never enough to just sit around blocked and have a bit of craic.
That's because those aren't words

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Golden Bee posted:

That's because those aren't words

To be fair though they do sound like fun, not-words. Like "splorzelthunk" or "blorpe".

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Most successful episode of shadowrun so far! I wish Steve would guest comptrol more often, also Spencer was on point all episode, lots of good stuff. Does anyone know the name of the song that was played at the end?

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
I just figured they were more on point since Felicia has actually played a roleplaying game before and produced a way better dnd show than they do. Incidentally has anyone ever converted Critical Role into a podcast or MP3?

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

ElCondemn posted:

Most successful episode of shadowrun so far! I wish Steve would guest comptrol more often, also Spencer was on point all episode, lots of good stuff. Does anyone know the name of the song that was played at the end?

The song was "Blood" by Don't Stop Or We'll Die.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Looks like a new contender for Goldberg appearing on the p'cast today, that Hotsauce guy nearly ruined a rare Rob Schrab episode

AWWWWWWW SHIEEEEEEEEETTTTTT

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
who the gently caress just brings hot sauce to a live show, barges his way on stage and demands that the host taste it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Illinois Smith posted:

who the gently caress just brings hot sauce to a live show, barges his way on stage and demands that the host taste it

a guy that thinks he has a great bit