Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nail Rat posted:

Remove return yards from all-purpose yards because come on now, really

The stat you're looking for already exists though? Yards from Scrimmage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I remember Graham Harrell and Crabtree too well

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

There should be an official stat for good blocking.

Like if you just totally take a dude and take him out of the play so badly the ball carrier doesn't have to adjust their route at all, that should be a Steamroll or Pushover or Big Boy or something.

Joe Thomas had 12 big boys in this game is a thing analysts should be saying.

Everyone was getting into the action, even Ted Ginn Jr. had a big boy on a downfield run!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

No Butt Stuff posted:

remove all stats.

replace everything with the "eye test"

Now we're getting somewhere

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
There's a lot of fans calling for Wake to be traded to Atlanta for a 3rd. It's a really smart move for both teams but boy howdy I'm not ready to declare this season lost until Philbin is fired

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

No Butt Stuff posted:

remove all stats.

replace everything with the "eye test"

Does he have "the look" Y/N

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

I'm all for binary performance measurements but it really needs to be whether or not a player has "It".

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Lord of Boners posted:

We may have ended one embarrassing streak last night, but there's plenty of franchise failure to go around!

On this note, that 1-32-1 stat for Alex Smith when he trails by 14 at any point in a game... Obviously no one will have a good record in games they're down 14 but you'd hope for more than 1 win. Anyway, that 1 win? Against Andy Reid in 2011.

Awesome.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

On this note, that 1-32-1 stat for Alex Smith when he trails by 14 at any point in a game... Obviously no one will have a good record in games they're down 14 but you'd hope for more than 1 win. Anyway, that 1 win? Against Andy Reid in 2011.

Awesome.
He's converted like 3 of 28 3rd downs this year. That's even worse than the WR TD thing.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

Awesome.

hmm, I wonder if you can look this up for other QB's.

Because while that's awful, I bet it's pretty awful for just about every average QB, like that Stafford vs winning teams on the road thing.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

quote:

The Packers had a seven-minute time of possession advantage, and it helped keep the defense fresh. By the way, the defense held the Chiefs to seven possessions of three plays or fewer through three quarters of the game. In his postgame interview, Rodgers said the Chiefs were loaded up to stop the run, which left man coverage across the board, and the Packers receivers won their one-on-ones. There’s your analysis of what happened. Imagine, playing run against Rodgers. That’s what Eddie Lacy has done for this team.

quote:

Coach McCarthy says they’re going to improve the running game, and the Packers respond with a running game that’s causing teams to focus on stopping the run. Coach McCarthy says the defense will be improved, and now it’s dominating. Coach McCarthy said special teams will be improved, and they are. Coach McCarthy says he wants a fast start, and the Packers are 3-0 and playing as well as any team in the league. I wish Coach McCarthy would say on my deathbed I will achieve total consciousness.

quote:

I don’t think there’s anyone who doesn’t truly appreciate Rodgers’ greatness. I’ve been covering football for 44 years and I’ve never seen a better quarterback. He sees more of the field than any quarterback I’ve ever watched. He was reading the Chiefs’ sideline last night. He saw their sub packages getting ready to come into the game and he knew what the Chiefs were going to do before they did it, and he was doing all of that as he was listening to his sideline talk to him in his helmet communicator. I think he’s the most intelligent quarterback that’s ever played the game.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nail Rat posted:

Would this take "Tasty like a raindrop" into account?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Blotto Skorzany posted:

Maybe they already are? Supposedly teams are coaching the DBs to keep covering in that scenario and clearly that isn't working consistently.

James jones was commuting opi all night.

In that scenario if you're a wr you just push the gently caress off because at worst its offsetting penalties and refs don't call it anyway.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

hmm, I wonder if you can look this up for other QB's.

Because while that's awful, I bet it's pretty awful for just about every average QB, like that Stafford vs winning teams on the road thing.

Yeah I wouldn't expect anyone to really look good in something like that, what might stand out the most if we were able to get a list like this for everyone is he's managed to play more than two full seasons worth of games where that happened. I'd like to see that for everyone too if anyone can figure out how to look it up.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

FizFashizzle posted:

James jones was commuting opi all night.

In that scenario if you're a wr you just push the gently caress off because at worst its offsetting penalties and refs don't call it anyway.

On this note start calling OPI on rub routes and WR screens. You shouldn't be able to block a defender playing the ball while the ball is in the air.

Edit: With the obvious exception of the d line attempting to knock down a pass.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Kalli posted:

There should be an official stat for good blocking.

Like if you just totally take a dude and take him out of the play so badly the ball carrier doesn't have to adjust their route at all, that should be a Steamroll or Pushover or Big Boy or something.

Joe Thomas had 12 big boys in this game is a thing analysts should be saying.

Everyone was getting into the action, even Ted Ginn Jr. had a big boy on a downfield run!

Wasn't the term "pancake" invented because of how thoroughly Orlando Pace owned defenders.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

WHOOPS posted:

Wasn't the term "pancake" invented because of how thoroughly Orlando Pace owned defenders.

I have no clue as to how true this is but this site claims it started at Pitt in the '80s.

quote:

The term was first used by the Pittsburgh Panthers to describe All-America offensive tackle Bill Fralic's blocking prowess in 1983 and '84. As Fralic's propensity for knocking opponents onto their back became known throughout the college football world, Pittsburgh's coaching staff counted the number of times Fralic registered these type of blocks in a given game. The Pittsburgh media relations department labeled these blocks as "pancakes" and the term stuck.

They go on to mention Pace at Ohio State later, I guess OSU's media department sent Heisman voters magnetic pancakes for him.

e: Pace's Heisman video. I only cringed a little bit.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 29, 2015

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Grittybeard posted:

e: Pace's Heisman video. I only cringed a little bit.

HOW IS THIS MAN NOT IN THE HALL OF FAME?!

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

OxySnake posted:

On this note start calling OPI on rub routes and WR screens. You shouldn't be able to block a defender playing the ball while the ball is in the air.

Edit: With the obvious exception of the d line attempting to knock down a pass.
Yeah. That's how Charles Clay was wide open on the Bills first touchdown: Sammy Watkins more or less blocked the defensive back who was covering Clay. Even I thought that was a little ridiculous.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

NC-17 posted:

Yes it was against the Panthers.

God's work. If a player is going to exploit a rule created for their safety light em up. Refs should be able to negate yards gained after a player pulls something like that.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Even better it was peppers.

Even BETTER they were waltzing down the field for the go ahead touchdown at the end of the fourth quarter (because John fox) and Aaron was so clearly concussed they had to run it three times inside the fifteen.

They eventually settled for a FG and never got the ball back.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Dolphins fans: Do you lay any of the blame on your man Tannehill?

Yes. Not all of it but enough. I'm sick of the 3 yard ins and 4 yard slants. The guy isn't a quality level starting QB. Hand him a headset and clipboard and tell me he doesn't look right at home.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

FizFashizzle posted:

Even better it was peppers.

Even BETTER they were waltzing down the field for the go ahead touchdown at the end of the fourth quarter (because John fox) and Aaron was so clearly concussed they had to run it three times inside the fifteen.

They eventually settled for a FG and never got the ball back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIjXmK1YlEU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

PantsFreeZone posted:

Yes. Not all of it but enough. I'm sick of the 3 yard ins and 4 yard slants. The guy isn't a quality level starting QB. Hand him a headset and clipboard and tell me he doesn't look right at home.

If that O-line wasn't trying to murder him and if Philbin called better plays to help the offense get in rhythm, he'd be Wild Card Playoff material.

ihatevinniemac 6 years ago in reply to Frank Fleischhacker
Get penalty yards when his own teammates touch him?

LOL, you clearly don't know football. Have fun with your new clunker, you're got Favre all right, and you're going to know exactly.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

MacheteZombie posted:

If that O-line wasn't trying to murder him and if Philbin called better plays to help the offense get in rhythm, he'd be Wild Card Playoff material.

Here's the thing. The Oline has been dogshit for years. Everyone knows this, including I assume Lazor and Tannehill. Where are the rollouts? What happened to the read option pass? Did you know Tannehill was a WR in college? Why can't he scramble?

I dunno. I guess I just watch him staring at an 8 man front and then running Lamar Miller right into it and I don't know who to cut into tiny pieces.

When Tannehill gets Landry killed on one of these 2 yard outs, that's when I'm going to demand a new QB.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

AAA DOLFAN posted:

There's a lot of fans calling for Wake to be traded to Atlanta for a 3rd. It's a really smart move for both teams but boy howdy I'm not ready to declare this season lost until Philbin is fired

For a 3rd? WTF?

Is he done, or something? I thought he was the truth.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

PantsFreeZone posted:

Here's the thing. The Oline has been dogshit for years. Everyone knows this, including I assume Lazor and Tannehill. Where are the rollouts? What happened to the read option pass? Did you know Tannehill was a WR in college? Why can't he scramble?

I dunno. I guess I just watch him staring at an 8 man front and then running Lamar Miller right into it and I don't know who to cut into tiny pieces.

When Tannehill gets Landry killed on one of these 2 yard outs, that's when I'm going to demand a new QB.

A lot of this I put on the OC and HC. They are clearly game planning like they have a stand up pocket thrower with a good o-line. Why?
Tannehill isn't talented enough to A-Rod out of situations, or to read defenses Peyton style. While I'm sure he makes a few calls/adjustments at the line, I'm pretty sure almost everything is dictated to him from the side line.

I think he has the arm and accuracy to get the right team to a Wildcard Spot, it's clearly not this Dolphins team.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

PantsFreeZone posted:

I know it's problematic to generalize an entire fanbase's sentiments from an isolated post or two, but holy crap this is quite a sea change for Dolfans' opinion on Tannehill.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Burger Trench posted:

I know it's problematic to generalize an entire fanbase's sentiments from an isolated post or two, but holy crap this is quite a sea change for Dolfans' opinion on Tannehill.

no it's just me, I'm alone on the hill

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
So just to clarify, Aaron Rodgers throws for 333, 5 TD, one dropped INT and one fumble that didn't actually happen and he gets a -.8 PFF score. Meanwhile, Carson Palmer throws for 311, 2 TD, 1 caught INT and 1 real fumble and gets a +6.2.

Sounds legit.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Burger Trench posted:

Yeah, I don't feel like this at all

I think PFZ is pretty much the only Dolphins fan who wants to move on from Tannehill

Pretty sure he was against the extension, so he's been consistent.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Chilichimp posted:

For a 3rd? WTF?

Is he done, or something? I thought he was the truth.

Wake isn't worth more than a 3rd I'd imagine

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Ehud posted:

I think PFZ is pretty much the only Dolphins fan who wants to move on from Tannehill

I'm going on PFZ and my IRL Dolphins friend, who also says Matt Moore is the most hated man in Miami sports.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

JT Jag posted:

So just to clarify, Aaron Rodgers throws for 333, 5 TD, one dropped INT and one fumble that didn't actually happen and he gets a -.8 PFF score. Meanwhile, Carson Palmer throws for 311, 2 TD, 1 caught INT and 1 real fumble and gets a +6.2.

Sounds legit.

Andy Dalton had 383, 4 total TD, one fumble returned for a touchdown, and one interception in the endzone which cost the Bengals points and got a +5.8.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ehud posted:

I don't think this was posted: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2571526-miami-dolphins-are-being-held-back-by-joe-philbin-poor-coaching

It's from before this weekend's game where one of the FO contributors basically lays out that the coaching in Miami is dreadful .

little things, like not giving Miller the ball on first down, or this:

Gee, think he should throw a quick out to the flat?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

JT Jag posted:

Sounds legit.

Their justification is that his plays weren't REALLY that good for subjective reasons, but at they same time they also insist they have no interest in intangibles.

So yeah.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

JT Jag posted:

Sounds legit.

It's really weird that TFF knows advanced NFL stats are garbage and yet I still see tons of PFF stuff posted.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

nerve posted:

It's really weird that TFF knows advanced NFL stats are garbage and yet I still see tons of PFF stuff posted.

It's still the best we have, heh.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Burger Trench posted:

It's still the best we have, heh.
Football Outsiders is better imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

nerve posted:

They are good for some positions, but bad for a lot of the marquee positions like TE, QB, etc.

• Locked thread