Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Litany Unheard posted:

And at the end of the day none of it will matter because Planned Parenthood polls really well and government shutdowns poll really poorly.

You're forgetting that facts have a liberal bias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Litany Unheard posted:

And at the end of the day none of it will matter because Planned Parenthood polls really well and government shutdowns poll really poorly.

Why would polling matter?

This is about the base. I keep saying it, cause its true, but 2016 will not be an election where Republicans seek to gain moderate votes. This will be an election where Republicans seek to rain fire down upon American politics and hope the weak-willed stay home.

Sure we won't see a shutdown now, because the Crying Man will save us one last time. But come December....

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

Holy poo poo, this is infuriating. I don't know whether he's willfully ignoring what she's saying or if he honestly doesn't understand her answer, and I don't even know which would be worse.

Oh, he is certainly willfully ignoring her.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

RE: the highway bill being worked out by Schumer and Ryan.

So they plan on paying for this bill (which lasts 6 years, right?) with some dumb version of the tax holiday poo poo they tried in the past? So if/when the revenues don't come in, just like all the other times, how are we gonna pay for this?

pathetic little tramp posted:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/09/29/444528541/6-clips-of-audio-you-should-hear-from-the-planned-parenthood-hearing

My favourite clip is the first where Jim Jordan asks "WHAT DID YOU APOLOGISE FOR?" She replies "Well she shouldn't have had a clinical discussion in a non-clinical setting."

He then KEEPS ASKING THE SAME QUESTION (to which she answers the same way of course) more angrily and more angrily for 6 minutes.

Reminds me of the whole "READ THE BILL! :argh: :freep: " poo poo we saw at the townhall meeting during the health care debate.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Trabisnikof posted:

This is about the base. I keep saying it, cause its true, but 2016 will not be an election where Republicans seek to gain moderate votes. This will be an election where Republicans seek to rain fire down upon American politics and hope the weak-willed stay home.

Sure we won't see a shutdown now, because the Crying Man will save us one last time. But come December....

Yeah, which is well and good for Republicans coming from R+5 and up districts. The rest of them have to go back home and find a way to keep their seats after shutting down the government over a very popular organization. They'll run to the edge of the cliff to appease the base, but it's dangerous to actually go over the edge.

Also, next election isn't a midterm and I don't see any of the current Republican presidential candidates inspiring major conservative turnout.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Trabisnikof posted:

It's all about turnout, yes. For all people talk about the "demographic swing" that happened in 2012 I wonder if they realize it was almost entirely because of white voters staying home rather than any real increase in minority voters. There was better turnout among black voters in 12 but it was almost entirely counteracted by a decline in latino voters.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I would guess the rise in abortion services from PP has something to do with successful efforts to harass / legislate other abortion providers out of existence. PP will never get out of the abortion game so they become a provider of last / only resort and wind up performing some of the procedures other providers would have in the past. I don't have hard numbers, on my phone. I would guess Guttmacher has something on that, or will soon now that it's A Thing.

I realize it's baked in now, but I feel like offering a futile objection to the strategy of emphasizing cancer / contraception over abortion as a rhetorical strategy. It cedes the issue at the outset. The only answer to this poo poo should be gently caress you abortions a right. I can understand the appeal of making conservatives oppose cancer screening, but it cuts way too close to apologizing for being an abortion provider. "I've got you now, Planned Parenthood, I found out you perform *abortions*!" should be a real weak line of attack.

It's like every single Obama speech ever where he opens with "now don't get me wrong" and proceeds to essentially concede the core republican line of argument.

There really isn't a dramatic rise in abortion services. That was my point - it was like a 10% rise. I was wondering why screenings were down so much, but the point about the recommendation for pap tests going to 3-5 years makes sense.

Though I have to say - if you are going to go in front of these committees you should really be prepared for people to attempt to bullshit you so looking at graph axes should be high on the list.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Litany Unheard posted:

If we can find a way to trick all of the conservatives to gently caress off to Mars I'm all for it.

At least until they come back in a hundred years piloting Gundams with Confederate flags painted on the side.

If anything, they'll end up like the American-government-in-exile in American Flagg!: The Plex becomes so consumed in such a power struggle on the headquarters on Mars that they deploy chemical-biological weapons against themselves, leaving the President the only survivor.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
Gowdy has apparently asked to be removed from consideration for Majority Leader. His reason?

He just loves investigating Benghazi too much:

Robert Costa posted:

Per several members, Gowdy became emotional tonight as he spoke to colleagues, said he loves Benghazi cmmte work, must focus on it

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Look, if you were a Republican and had a choice between being labeled a RINO for selling out the conservative base to keep the party and government alive or having the chance to be labeled "The Man Who (Almost) Brought Down Hillary (But Failed Because She Was Just Too Wily!)™", I think the choice is clear.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Litany Unheard posted:

Yeah, which is well and good for Republicans coming from R+5 and up districts. The rest of them have to go back home and find a way to keep their seats after shutting down the government over a very popular organization. They'll run to the edge of the cliff to appease the base, but it's dangerous to actually go over the edge.

Also, next election isn't a midterm and I don't see any of the current Republican presidential candidates inspiring major conservative turnout.

Go look up how many Republicans hold a seat with a less than +5 margin. It's not many.

Also it's pretty clear Trump is bringing the noise as far as the base is concerned.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Look, if you were a Republican and had a choice between being labeled a RINO for selling out the conservative base to keep the party and government alive or having the chance to be labeled "The Man Who (Almost) Brought Down Hillary (But Failed Because She Was Just Too Wily!)™", I think the choice is clear.

Not to mention the fact that being Majority Leader is difficult, grueling, and thankless work, and "investigating Benghazi" is leaning back in your chair and flinging pencils into the ceiling. Or jerking off. "Investigating Benghazi" sounds like a good euphemism for jerking off.

E:

Really though, this is what's wrong with the GOP in a nutshell and it's taking the rest of the country down with it. There's no incentive at all to do the hard work of actually governing because you're highly likely to be primaried or voted out if you try. Meanwhile, doing jack poo poo legislatively while stirring up the base into a perpetual froth over hopeless causes keeps the war chest filled and requires much less effort.

Rhesus Pieces fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 30, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fried Chicken posted:

Remember when they went after the kid on SCHiP back in 2007? Good times

Not that there is a lot of moral difference between those and currently going after that 13 year old on the Cruz campaign. That he's in a campaign is the argument that it's different but no, he's 13. Leave him be

I don't know. Does he have granite kitchen countertops too?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

tsa posted:

It's all about turnout, yes. For all people talk about the "demographic swing" that happened in 2012 I wonder if they realize it was almost entirely because of white voters staying home rather than any real increase in minority voters. There was better turnout among black voters in 12 but it was almost entirely counteracted by a decline in latino voters.

This is the Steve Sailer/Sean Trende mantra, that the lost because of "missing white voters" so pushing to really chase and get out the white vote will win.

It is also completely incorrect.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fried Chicken posted:

This is the Steve Sailer/Sean Trende mantra, that the lost because of "missing white voters" so pushing to really chase and get out the white vote will win.

It is also completely incorrect.

Nah, I think all the GOP has to do is swing even harder right and those missing dead Reagan conservatives will come back to vote.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

McConnell is entering into talks with Obama to get a 2 year funding deal done. You'd hope Obama would have learned by now but we'll see. Also, question of how it gets past the House

Rand Paul declared that Ted Cruz is "done for" in the Senate. Gotta love the knives being out

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Fried Chicken posted:

McConnell is entering into talks with Obama to get a 2 year funding deal done. You'd hope Obama would have learned by now but we'll see. Also, question of how it gets past the House

Rand Paul declared that Ted Cruz is "done for" in the Senate. Gotta love the knives being out

as much as i have touted it. do you really think the establishment will finish off cruz? yeah he has burned every bridge ever. but the "base" still loves him.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dapper_Swindler posted:

as much as i have touted it. do you really think the establishment will finish off cruz? yeah he has burned every bridge ever. but the "base" still loves him.

Well, we don't really know that until 2018.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Dapper_Swindler posted:

What could they do? Could they fund a challenger in his next election? This has been the most amazing primary season so far. I love the open hostility between the "Establishment" and the "Outsiders". It's great, burn the whole loving thing to the ground.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Fried Chicken posted:

If Obama does a grand bargain (2011 style) that would severely tarnish his legacy in my opinion, especially if it involves raising the retirement age. I'm hopeful that they can maybe end the sequester out it though.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Mitt Romney posted:

If Obama does a grand bargain (2011 style) that would severely tarnish his legacy in my opinion, especially if it involves raising the retirement age. I'm hopeful that they can maybe end the sequester out it though.

Since he's not running for reelection, a grand bargain would likely be overshadowed by all the heavy poo poo like Obamacare, gay marriage, the Iran deal, the Cuba deal, and likely TPP. Not taking something and letting another shutdown would have more effect for the likely history rewriters from the right who will slam him for his failure to somehow keep a hostile Congress in line. I more likely expect that he will somehow become the "good Democrat we could work with unlike the current one" like Bill Clinton in time, despite how ahistorical that actually is. (See how each Democratic presidential candidate was "the most liberal Democrat candidate yet!" every year.)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
There will not be a Grand Bargain.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Our only hope is that nothing Obama proposes will be enough for the rabid right-wing. Will the Tea Party again save us from Obama's entitlement cuts?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
When you think about it, the Tea Party is effectively more economically liberal than Obama because Obama wanted to cut entitlements, and the Tea Party prevented it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Radbot posted:

When you think about it, the Tea Party is effectively more economically liberal than Obama because Obama wanted to cut entitlements, and the Tea Party prevented it.

......what?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

My money is on Senator Prescott Bush in his seat come 2019

computer parts posted:

There will not be a Grand Bargain.

If nothing else I have no idea how they would get the house to go along. Maybe that is what Pete rouskamp is trying to push with his secret meetings

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

......what?

The aborted 2011 deal

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Prescott's the one that dealt with the Nazis, right?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
An odd epilogue to the weird final note Pope Francis left us on not forcing people to act against their conscience.

EDIT: And in other news, Saudi Arabia officially gets off scott-free with respect to 9/11

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 30, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

Yes, and the great grandfather of the living Prescott Bush, Jeb's son

Edit

\/\/\/\/. Much like how John Ellis is Jeb, yes

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 30, 2015

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

I think they're calling George Prescott Bush "Prescott" to distinguish him from the other two George Bushes.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Is there any particular reason to believe them this time when they have lied out their asses up until now?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

Is there any particular reason to believe them this time when they have lied out their asses up until now?

And doesn't Davis's brand of Christianity consider Catholics to be Hell-bound idol worshipers?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

I highly, highly doubt it. These are the same people who tried to pass off a picture of a huge Peruvian religious convention from a year ago as a Kim Davis rally.

The Liberty Counsel are compulsive liars, and since they are the only source for this otherwise unconfirmed story I have no idea why NBC News bothered to report it.

clickbait

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
In regards to PP and abortion: I just came across a couple very interesting articles pointing out that evangelical Protestants were actually predominantly pro-choice up until the late 20th century. Before that they believed that life began at birth, NOT at conception:

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/30/my-take-when-evangelicals-were-pro-choice/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jonathan-dudley/how-evangelicals-decided-that-life-begins-at-conception_b_2072716.html

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Litany Unheard posted:

And doesn't Davis's brand of Christianity consider Catholics to be Hell-bound idol worshipers?

She doesn't even consider Baptists to be real Christians. That or she was just lying again when she said that she wasn't Christian when she went through all those marriages and divorces.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
For those who may not understand what lovely trick DWS is pulling for :shillary: please understand its not just about the number of debates. The dates are truly what matters. Check this out and you will understand just how much DWS and the DNC are really doing to make sure :shillary: wins.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ShadowCatboy posted:

In regards to PP and abortion: I just came across a couple very interesting articles pointing out that evangelical Protestants were actually predominantly pro-choice up until the late 20th century. Before that they believed that life began at birth, NOT at conception:

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/30/my-take-when-evangelicals-were-pro-choice/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jonathan-dudley/how-evangelicals-decided-that-life-begins-at-conception_b_2072716.html

Yes, the main reason for the switch was that Catholics joined the pro-life movement and they don't like contraception. It was a compromise position that evolved into doctrine.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Dalael posted:

For those who may not understand what lovely trick DWS is pulling for :shillary: please understand its not just about the number of debates. The dates are truly what matters. Check this out and you will understand just how much DWS and the DNC are really doing to make sure :shillary: wins.

Who is the second person depicted here?

Also ugh JPG compression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Brannock posted:

Who is the second person depicted here?

Also ugh JPG compression.

Debbie Wasserman-Schultz, head of the DNC.

• Locked thread