Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Old Fart posted:

Okay, but he still asked you what you wanted for your good work so far, and all you came up with was a title change.

Help me help you, dude. You're putting the car up for sale. What are you going to do if it sells? What's your backup plan? Give me the information so I can design options for you.

* What are your hours?
* What's the current childcare arrangement?
* Is wife's job close to a bus line?

If you have options then you don't feel like you're in crisis mode all the time and you avoid making impulse decisions like buying an old RWD 2-door muscle car for backup wintertime family transportation.

I can mow my lawn easier and drive it to work, it's obviously a win-win situation (plus I can keep my mullet status)

My hours are 8:00am to 5:00pm. Right now I can leave at 7:50 and get to work on time.

Wife's hours are 8:00am to 5:00pm. She leaves at about 7:00am, and if she has to take me to work or the baby to the sitter then 6:50am. She gets home at about 5:45pm or 5:50pm. Later than that if she picks up the boy from my grandma's (once or twice a week I forget).

Bus doesn't drive out here, so that option is out. I don't think there's a bus out there either. She works in a pretty yuppie area, so most people aren't riding the bus in that area in this town.

Current child care is my sister picks up the boy from me at around 7:15am. This can cause issues. I have to watch the boy for 15 minutes solo while I also need to get ready. Riding the bike I need to be out the door at 7:30am so I can clean up before work.

If the car sells my plan is up in the air. I could "upgrade", or bank the profit and buy another $2000 car with some patience (2 months maximum), or MAYBE e-bike it with a trailer because in 2-3 months my son will be old enough to trailer around, and I could take the longer road to work/pick him up if I have a trailer attached (ie not off road). I'm unwilling to bike it without a kit in the winter, and this does have some "hidden" costs like winter riding gear, the trailer, and a new helmet. This also has the hidden cost of being in a pain in the rear end position if I need to take him to an appointment, or if I have an appointment myself. Also if it didn't work out and was still a secondary mode of transportation, it would be more expensive than just buying a car now. I will not compromise any longer on going without a powered mode of transportation (passive or active, gasoline or hybrid, whatever), UNLESS it means a very significant change in the amount of time we can pay off debt. I could work with that, because then once we're out of debt I could buy something I wanted with low maintenance time and costs involved.

Whatever happens we won't be hurt by selling the car for a profit. I'm OK if it doesn't sell also - it could be reevaluated in 3 months as mentioned before to see if it should be sold at even money.

Work:
Again the title change wasn't for all the good work so far (that's what the bonus/raise would be in March). The title change was a spur of the moment thing that I brought up out of the blue, and it was a completely isolated conversation from anything else we've ever talked about.

E: stipulated my compromise.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Could you work 4x10's?

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
Does your kid lose his poo poo if you put him in a playpen or crib for fifteen minutes while you get ready for work?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
KG, when was the last time you got a raise?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

SiGmA_X posted:

Could you work 4x10's?

I'm not sure. I'd prefer not to, as I've mostly worked 4x10s throughout my working life, and I do prefer 5x8s. I can probably do something like get to work early, and leave early, as I do that when it's convenient.

foxatee posted:

Does your kid lose his poo poo if you put him in a playpen or crib for fifteen minutes while you get ready for work?

It really depends on the day. Some days that's fine, but other times not so much. I'm guessing that this will only become more difficult as he gets more mobile.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

KG, when was the last time you got a raise?

13 months, give or take a couple weeks.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Honestly, I think you should get a car. But not impulsively. Plan and budget for it. Bike on nice days.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
KG, planning doesn't mean you have a perfect solution right from the start. It means you work through various ideas. It also means you don't reject things out of hand. Maybe ideas won't work, but if you're not even willing to consider them, then you paint yourself into a corner.

Knyteguy posted:

Wife's hours are 8:00am to 5:00pm. She leaves at about 7:00am, and if she has to take me to work or the baby to the sitter then 6:50am.
Is the sitter your sister? Is she only dropping him off on days she takes you?

Knyteguy posted:

She gets home at about 5:45pm or 5:50pm. Later than that if she picks up the boy from my grandma's (once or twice a week I forget).
So twice a week you're not even home alone with him? What happens the other days of the week? Does your sister being him home? What time? Again I'm failing to see all this time you were trapped at home with the baby and no car. You manufactured reasons to justify your car.

Knyteguy posted:

Bus doesn't drive out here, so that option is out. I don't think there's a bus out there either. She works in a pretty yuppie area, so most people aren't riding the bus in that area in this town.
You might be surprised. Have you even checked? Would it be possible for you to drive her to a bus stop, take the kid to your sister's, and then drive to work? That way you have a car for all these appointments you're going to. Or maybe another plan can work. It's hard to know if you don't even investigate it.

Knyteguy posted:

Current child care is my sister picks up the boy from me at around 7:15am. This can cause issues. I have to watch the boy for 15 minutes solo while I also need to get ready. Riding the bike I need to be out the door at 7:30am so I can clean up before work.
Why can't you get ready sooner? Are there things you can do the night before? Get your clothes laid out. Take a shower. Prep the coffee machine. What's happening in these 15 minutes? What's happening before your wife leaves?

Why can't you talk with your boss about having a bit more flex time at the start of the day? You're not doing anything mission critical here. Your home office isn't even in the same time zone. You're going without a raise for at least 19 months, and March isn't guaranteed.

Knyteguy posted:

If the car sells my plan is up in the air.
Buying the car was an impulse and selling the car is an impulse. Why do you hate planning so much? Is it that childish "don't tell me what to do" bullshit from earlier?

Knyteguy posted:

I will not compromise any longer on going without a powered mode of transportation (passive or active, gasoline or hybrid, whatever), UNLESS it means a very significant change in the amount of time we can pay off debt.
$2k for the car, another planned $3k for maintenance, $500/year insurance, $???/year gas... You don't think $6000 makes a significant dent in your debt?

How many cab rides would it take in appointments and emergencies to break even here? Have you priced that out yet? Of course you haven't.

Or maybe you do need a car. But you should plan for things, dude. Stop operating in crisis mode all the time.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

Knyteguy posted:

It really depends on the day. Some days that's fine, but other times not so much. I'm guessing that this will only become more difficult as he gets more mobile.

If you're letting him just chill out on the floor, sure. I mean, your kid could become an escape artist when he gets a bit older, but we're talking about now. He'll be fine in his crib/playpen. Get dressed in the same room. Drag him to the bathroom with you-- either in a bumbo seat type thing, or drag the whole playpen, if you have one, and set it outside the bathroom door; don't close the door so he can see you, if that's the problem. Seriously, other parents (including myself) don't find it that big of a deal to get dressed in the morning with a kid. You're making this seem like a Herculean task and it's not.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Old Fart posted:

Buying the car was an impulse and selling the car is an impulse.

I'll hit the rest of your points later, but man you confuse me here. I was initially criticized by you with "you're not going to sell the car, anyway", and then I list it for a recommended price, with a recommended pitch, and I'm catching criticism the other way. Which is it?

The car was listed after some reflection. Basically I'm just trying to take the advice that I feel would work for me while being flexible. If I can make $500-$600 after I use the car for a few weeks then I consider that a win.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 29, 2015

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013

Knyteguy posted:

I'll hit the rest of your points later, but man you confuse me here. I was initially criticized by you with "you're not going to sell the car, anyway", and then I list it for a recommended price, with a recommended pitch, and I'm catching criticism the other way. Which is it?
The criticism is because you never have any kind of plan. You bought the car on impulse with a bunch of exaggerated reasons. You're insisting to us that you can't possibly live without a car, but now you're ready to sell it without having any idea how you'll function without it. It's this kind of mindset that leads to you doing things that cost you more in the long run and keep setting you back.

I have no doubt that the second car is a lot easier. But you haven't even investigated other options. You don't even know if your wife's job is close to a bus line, for example. You haven't even considered changing your work hours so that you can better align with child care.

Yeah, changing your life around isn't fun. But there are two huge factors here you need to always keep in mind.

1) You have a child. For the next few years, your life for you is over.

2) You are still paying for the sins of the past. Yeah, it sucks. But that's what happens when you buy a new Toyota at 15%. Do you want to know when you're done suffering due to that mistake? It's when the balance on that car is $0. You don't get to have much fun until that point. Don't whine that it's unfair. It's totally fair, because you're the one who did those things. You borrowed from your future. The future is now.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Old Fart posted:

2) You are still paying for the sins of the past. Yeah, it sucks. But that's what happens when you buy a new Toyota at 15%. Do you want to know when you're done suffering due to that mistake? It's when the balance on that car is $0. You don't get to have much fun until that point. Don't whine that it's unfair. It's totally fair, because you're the one who did those things. You borrowed from your future. The future is now.

Every part of this post is gold, but I really wanted to highlight this. Most people get "I will suffer later" on a conceptual level, but not an emotional level. They think "I lost 1k to interest on my CCs! That's a lot!" and not "That was not panicking and getting stress when my engine failed that made me nauseous! gently caress!" You're paying now for this, which is actually great! This pain is getting you to a better future! This isn't you, but people who keep putting it off just make the phase you're going through longer or worse. People who put it off through retirement or, god loving forbid, have a medical emergency that affects their ability to work (or just dumps medical bills on them) have to consider eating dog food because ramen is now luxury priced and it's that or don't eat. Or they die far too early and leave debt behind. Neither of these are bright futures where the debt they took on never caused them pain.

If your plan is to go back to what you were doing because it was working if the car sells: okay. I'd still encourage you to engage with these great posts and work out a detailed plan, even if it's enumerating everything you were doing before. You don't want this to be a situation like the too-small apartment, where suffering just causes you to break down and buy another car at 4k or something.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Old Fart posted:

The criticism is because you never have any kind of plan. You bought the car on impulse with a bunch of exaggerated reasons. You're insisting to us that you can't possibly live without a car, but now you're ready to sell it without having any idea how you'll function without it. It's this kind of mindset that leads to you doing things that cost you more in the long run and keep setting you back.

I have no doubt that the second car is a lot easier. But you haven't even investigated other options. You don't even know if your wife's job is close to a bus line, for example. You haven't even considered changing your work hours so that you can better align with child care.

Yeah, changing your life around isn't fun. But there are two huge factors here you need to always keep in mind.

1) You have a child. For the next few years, your life for you is over.

OF - I get what you're saying regarding the car thing - I appreciate the input. I need to say it though: moving forward I'm unwilling to compromise on a second car. If the car sells then here's what I'll do: bank the money, budget for a second car for a couple months, and then buy another one within the budget. Money spent early will go back into the emergency fund. I should have done that in the first place.

The Toyota is at 10.99%. I'm absolutely feeling the pain for this.

You're correct that sometimes I get into "crisis mode". That's something I will attempt to work on.

Here's my estimated expenses for the next 12 months for the car, based on what I know so far:

Insurance - $200
Tires + balancing* - $450
1 major issue - $1,500
Fuel** - $600
Brake pads - $100
Oil/Transmission Fluid - $60 (small leaks)
Minor issues - $500 (fuel pump, water pump, starter, battery, etc)
Registration - $80 (Includes smog)
---
$3,430. Let's say $3,600 just in case I'm underestimating.

* The car doesn't need tires now, but it likely will within the next 12 months.
** I filled up the 15.5 gallon tank for somewhere in the 30-40 range over a week ago, and I still have over a half tank. It's tough to budget accurately without data.

So my initial estimate of $300/mo was pretty close. Now... where can it come from in the budget, so that we can still hit that sweet spot we're aiming for of $1,000/mo? Bit of "thinking out loud ahead", skip to the budget if you don't want to read it.

We're presented with some problems, especially in October. I overestimated my wife's paycheck, as she had an unpaid holiday for Labor Day (I'll still post her pay stub by the way. I keep spacing it). This was due to her being under her probationary period still. Moving forward that won't come up, but it will now. Luckily she gets an hour of OT @ $20/hr every week, and she got an extra hour of OT last week as they took her to get her nails done (with her bosses) and she got paid for it. But that doesn't help us now.

Here's what I came up with. We're technically borrowing from ourselves in November. It also doesn't take into account our deposit we made back from the car money we got (we withdrew $2500, but deposited $300), so the car looks higher than it is. Whatever the outcome is the same since the money was used for October's budget. I went ahead and drained the bike maintenance fund for now, and took away our paltry savings in Vacation. I went ahead and went with slightly less than average over the past few months for discretionary categories. It gives us some leeway, while still challenging us. I still have a goal to lower this in the future, but I think it's a good middle point. I may want to combine these categories later. I eat a lot of our shared discretionary expenses personally since I categorize quickly, and I don't want to accidentally take money from her side. NBD but it would be more accurate.

I also cut down on some child proofing. I've done some research on kits, and he's still not crawling. Hopefully we'll have one more month crawling free. If not and we need more than $100 for some reason this month, then it'll have to come from elsewhere in the budget.

Internet went up to $59.99 without me noticing (I thought we got billed for 2 months until I realized that it didn't hit the budget). I just called them and got them back to our old rate of $39.99 for 12 more months. We have a $10 credit next bill, so that will help even it out a little bit.

Nothing in business below. I'll post that on the weekly stuff but I don't want to make another screenshot for no reason right now.

Some things changed. I thought we had more income than we did in September as well. I've taken steps to remedy that problem in the future.

Old Greg posted:

Every part of this post is gold, but I really wanted to highlight this. Most people get "I will suffer later" on a conceptual level, but not an emotional level. They think "I lost 1k to interest on my CCs! That's a lot!" and not "That was not panicking and getting stress when my engine failed that made me nauseous! gently caress!" You're paying now for this, which is actually great! This pain is getting you to a better future! This isn't you, but people who keep putting it off just make the phase you're going through longer or worse. People who put it off through retirement or, god loving forbid, have a medical emergency that affects their ability to work (or just dumps medical bills on them) have to consider eating dog food because ramen is now luxury priced and it's that or don't eat. Or they die far too early and leave debt behind. Neither of these are bright futures where the debt they took on never caused them pain.

If your plan is to go back to what you were doing because it was working if the car sells: okay. I'd still encourage you to engage with these great posts and work out a detailed plan, even if it's enumerating everything you were doing before. You don't want this to be a situation like the too-small apartment, where suffering just causes you to break down and buy another car at 4k or something.

I think I hit on the posts above. Let me know if I should go into something further, or consider something further.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 29, 2015

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

I notice you said you were lowering your discretionary budget but historically you've actually had a lot of trouble staying within your existing one. Thoughts on that?

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Knyteguy posted:

Here's my estimated yearly expenses on the car, based on what I know so far:

Insurance - $200
Tires + balancing* - $450
1 major issue - $1,500
Fuel** - $600
Brake pads - $100
Oil/Transmission Fluid - $60 (small leaks)
Minor issues - $500 (fuel pump, water pump, starter, battery, etc)
Registration - $80 (Includes smog)
---
$3,430. Let's say $3,600 just in case I'm underestimating.

* The car doesn't need tires now, but it likely will within the next 12 months.
** I filled up the 15.5 gallon tank for somewhere in the 30-40 range over a week ago, and I still have over a half tank. It's tough to budget accurately without data.

So my initial estimate of $300/mo was pretty close. Now... where can it come from in the budget, so that we can still hit that sweet spot we're aiming for of $1,000/mo? Bit of "thinking out loud ahead", skip to the budget if you don't want to read it.

I live in Canada and benefit from state-owned insurance to keep rates generally low, so I don't have any first hand knowledge about U.S. auto insurance. That said, the dearth of advertising concerning the various providers there have me highly suspicious of them bothering with the full court marketing press if everyone is squabbling over a couple hundred bucks on an annual policy. I plugged some fake names and figures into the Geico site and it says you're looking at more than triple that.

Furthermore, $60 annual for all the oil and transmission fluids you need seems equally low. Based on a quick check of the price of a gallon of oil on the Pep Boys site, you're getting a couple gallons for that price of the cheapest 5/10w30/40, and nothing more. You'll need at least three gallons to keep a kind of recommended maintenance schedule, so already you are out of touch with reality. Plus you need oil filters. And then whatever you have to spend on the transmission fluids. It's maybe a third to at best a half of what you will really have to spend, but I thought it bear mention because it adds further doubt about all of the numbers that you throw out in a budget like this. I really have no idea where you get these figures unless you are just plucking them out of thin air.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Horking Delight posted:

I notice you said you were lowering your discretionary budget but historically you've actually had a lot of trouble staying within your existing one. Thoughts on that?

Holding off on this one.

Antifreeze Head posted:

I live in Canada and benefit from state-owned insurance to keep rates generally low, so I don't have any first hand knowledge about U.S. auto insurance. That said, the dearth of advertising concerning the various providers there have me highly suspicious of them bothering with the full court marketing press if everyone is squabbling over a couple hundred bucks on an annual policy. I plugged some fake names and figures into the Geico site and it says you're looking at more than triple that.

Furthermore, $60 annual for all the oil and transmission fluids you need seems equally low. Based on a quick check of the price of a gallon of oil on the Pep Boys site, you're getting a couple gallons for that price of the cheapest 5/10w30/40, and nothing more. You'll need at least three gallons to keep a kind of recommended maintenance schedule, so already you are out of touch with reality. Plus you need oil filters. And then whatever you have to spend on the transmission fluids. It's maybe a third to at best a half of what you will really have to spend, but I thought it bear mention because it adds further doubt about all of the numbers that you throw out in a budget like this. I really have no idea where you get these figures unless you are just plucking them out of thin air.

My numbers aren't on a yearly basis - they're for the next 12 months. I'll need to reanalyze after that. I wouldn't budget $450/yr for tires, for example. The recommended maintenance schedule is based on X miles for the most part. I'll be driving less than 5,000 miles per year (which I'm just about on track for), and I just got an oil change. A couple gallons is far more than what I'll need to cover the small oil leak in the mean time. Same with an oil filter; I won't need that until > 12 months out. 5w30 is the manufacturer recommended oil. I also got a transmission fluid/filter/gasket change (which was needed), so that'll be good for awhile. On top of that I can go and get free oil and I think transmission fluid for the first 3,000 miles of the oil change. That's what I used to do on the truck that also had a small oil leak.

Also we're with Geico and on a multi-car policy. The number I quoted is the number we're paying, if I'm reading it correctly/their calculator showed the correct difference (pre-2nd car post 2nd car). As an aside our policy has been slowly creeping up, so it may be time to shop around again.

I will go ahead and double check the insurance stuff, but I've already posted that before with a screenshot of our policy and coverage, so I don't think I'm incorrect.

Edit but I guess I didn't clarify that I meant that this is for the next 12 months in my post. I actually wrote "yearly expenses", so my fault. I updated that in the original post.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 29, 2015

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Knyteguy posted:

the next 12 months

That's a year.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Your entire budget makes very little sense unless you're posting what your income is, what is it now? I haven't seen anything to indicate what the status of stuff is since your wife got the new job.

Why is has your discretionary increased to nearly $1200 a month? When I suggested doing a $1000/month payment on the car, I was thinking a $1000 total payment, not a $1000+$510 payment, but if you can make it work, go for it.

Why did you insist on spending in what I'm guessing is nearly $300 on that car for the oil change / transmission service if you weren't even sure you were going to keep it? Why couldn't you hold off at least a couple of weeks. Have you had any emails about the car yet? Post a link to your CL ad or a screenshot. With the Oculus, it's hard to follow, are you returning it?

I'd say you're probably overestimating the cost of owning that car. If you have a $1500 repair bill on that thing, you'd be far better off selling it for $500 instead of blowing that sort of money on it.

So here is some round number math for you based upon some numbers you've put out.
$300/month for the camaro * 12 months = $3600
$1000/month into the Corolla * 12 months = $12000
Sale of the sandrail = $500 (perhaps I'm being generous)
Return the Oculus = $350
Sell the camaro for what you paid for = $2000
That ads up to $18,450
Take that amount and subtract the 21k you owe - $2550
Take ~$215 out of your discretionary spending per month, and boom paid off Corolla.

Delay having a 2nd car for all of a year, and cut your discretionary all of $215, and you've paid off the largest debt you currently have. Here is the real kicker of the thing. At the point you've paid the Corolla off, it might still be worth $10k (that's probably low). Buy a cheap car for $2500 when it's paid off, sell off the Corolla, and buy a nice car for $7500.

In one year, you could have two decent cars, and no car debt. Buck up dude.

n8r fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 29, 2015

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Tiny Deer posted:

That's a year.

Thank you. I never knew there were 12 months in a year.

My point is that since I'm budgeting for the next 12 months, and an oil change won't be needed for about 13 months/5000 miles (especially with new oil being added every now and then), there's no need to budget for that yet. I don't believe new tires need to be budgeted for in a yearly manner either, as I intend on getting a high tread life tire (they're like 10 bucks more per tire). Open to input on that though; I've never bought tires.

I don't see how this car could possibly cost more than $6,000-$9,000 in maintenance over a year as suggested by Antifreeze Head; a new crate engine is sub $3,000, and a new transmission is $1,800. A 4l60e transmission rebuild kit is 1/10th that price. That's not including labor since as I said I can do that for free/beer and pizza. If that is the average scenario for a used car of this age? Because if it is I'm seriously just going to park it and sell it for as much as I can now. I'd be better off buying something newer and nicer.

Horking Delight posted:

It's just below our yearly averages (my yearly average is $183/mo for my discretionary). It's not ideal, but I can't find another way to make it work with the budget.

Edit just saw your post n8r I'll get back to you.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 29, 2015

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

Why did you insist on spending in what I'm guessing is nearly $300 on that car for the oil change / transmission service if you weren't even sure you were going to keep it? Why couldn't you hold off at least a couple of weeks. Have you had any emails about the car yet? Post a link to your CL ad or a screenshot. With the Oculus, it's hard to follow, are you returning it?

If you didn't see my edit - I just saw this. I'll respond later.

Here's almost the exact same car I have - https://reno.craigslist.org/cto/5224292269.html

It's a little cleaner because they... cleaned the car. Few more mods also (cam notably). For my listing I just used the pictures that the guy I bought it from used (which are awful). I'm going to wash it and add better pictures.

Here's my ad text. I'll post a link to the listing later after the pictures.

quote:

Just bought this and my wife flipped out, so I have to sell it. My loss is your gain. Fun as hell and a good daily driver.

Magnaflow Exhaust
Heater (works)
A/C (needs Freon)
Automatic
V8
Power Windows
Power Locks
Removable Locking T-Top Glass w/ built in trunk storage.

Nada has the car listed at worth over $4,000.

Looking for a fast sale. Email me or text me now! (No calls)

I've gotten 1 text message so far, and the dude seemed weird and messaged me at 12:00am last night. That's another reason I'm going to delete and republish - I'd rather conduct business on Craigslist by email.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 29, 2015

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Why would you torpedo yourself by adding 'looking for a fast sale' on the end there?

Did you learn nothing about keeping your cards close to your chest from the asking for a raise fiasco?

Why?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Breetai posted:

Why would you torpedo yourself by adding 'looking for a fast sale' on the end there?

Did you learn nothing about keeping your cards close to your chest from the asking for a raise fiasco?

Why?

Raise fiasco? I'm confused. I don't feel like I lost any leverage from those conversations. Actually after asking for a new title, my boss pretty much immediately went into raise conversation (why would I want a new title if I wasn't looking for something new?)

Otherwise I dunno I just thought it would get people to act. "Shoot this car might go fast I'd better call now". I'm not actually looking for a fast sale. But now that you mention it that could attract lowballers who think I need to sell.

I've never sold a car private party before :ohdear:

Edit also it seems like everyone typos/has a certain improper style on Craigslist. I cargo culted that a little bit, but I'm not sure if that's a good strategy.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 30, 2015

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Knyteguy posted:

Raise fiasco? I'm confused. I don't feel like I lost any leverage from those conversations. Actually after asking for a new title, my boss pretty much immediately went into raise conversation (why would I want a new title if I wasn't looking for something new?)

Otherwise I dunno I just thought it would get people to act. "Shoot this car might go fast I'd better call now". I'm not actually looking for a fast sale. But now that you mention it that could attract lowballers who think I need to sell.

I've never sold a car private party before :ohdear:

Edit also it seems like everyone typos/has a certain improper style on Craigslist. I cargo culted that a little bit, but I'm not sure if that's a good strategy.

https://youtu.be/cKUvKE3bQlY?t=43

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Throw some constructive criticism my way if you want then.

edit better?

quote:

Just bought this and my wife flipped out, so I have to sell it. My loss is your gain. Fun as hell and a good daily driver.

Magnaflow Exhaust
Cold Air Intake
Heater
A/C
Automatic
V8
Power Windows
Power Locks
Removable Locking T-Top Glass w/ built in trunk storage.

Heater works A/C needs Freon.

Nada has the car listed as worth about $4,100 with the T-Top.

Email or text only.

As I said I'm going to redo the ad anyway. The pictures are awful as mentioned and I don't think this will sell very easily without better ones.

Edit screw it I'll do a super nice presentation then /grumble. I think Craigslist can do some HTML and CSS. I'll add my time to the car's price to pay myself for it.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 30, 2015

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

Did anybody else see this Carmax commercial and think of this thread?

True story, my neighbor (at my last residence) did just this, except his was blue and he already had three children. He once got drunk and complained how he had to work two jobs so he could move his family back to Georgia.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

foxatee posted:

Did anybody else see this Carmax commercial and think of this thread?

True story, my neighbor (at my last residence) did just this, except his was blue and he already had three children. He once got drunk and complained how he had to work two jobs so he could move his family back to Georgia.

Haha the commercial is me. I'll admit that.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

quote:

Just bought this and my wife flipped out
Knyteguy's Finances: In a dysfunctional marriage with BFC

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Cicero posted:

Knyteguy's Finances: In a dysfunctional marriage with BFC

If you guys would just stop NAGGING me. I swear you're just like your mothers!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Knyteguy posted:

If you guys would just stop NAGGING me. I swear you're just like your mothers!

Stop making us hit you.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Cythereal posted:

Stop making us hit you.

Please don't. Not again.

I can only give my coworkers so many excuses before someone starts to suspect something is going on!

I feel like I need to donate some time or money to a domestic violence group now

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 30, 2015

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

edit better?

As I said I'm going to redo the ad anyway. The pictures are awful as mentioned and I don't think this will sell very easily without better ones.

Edit screw it I'll do a super nice presentation then /grumble. I think Craigslist can do some HTML and CSS. I'll add my time to the car's price to pay myself for it.

Why did you not.. clean the car and take decent pics as suggested. I think the ad text is just fine.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

Why did you not.. clean the car and take decent pics as suggested. I think the ad text is just fine.

I put the new mirrors on last night (what I was waiting for), so I'll do the detail when I get home in a few minutes.

Cheers on the ad text. I forgot the cold air intake anyway. I'll still do a little to spruce up the ad though, as it shouldn't take long.

I'll reply to the remainder of your previous post later also.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
He's talking about giving your current salary to a recruiter I think, from a long time ago. I agree, part of sales is making the other person believe you will walk away, that line conveys the opposite. The implication is you're in a hurry to let it go quick and will be amenable to lowballing. I think you were going for "...and that's why it's so cheap" but that is not the implication I draw from it. It's not a huge deal but yeah, I'd remove that part.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
How the gently caress do you incorrectly enter income for a month? Why the gently caress are you estimating future earnings? THIS IS WHAT GETS YOU IN THESE SPOTS IN THE FIRST PLACE! How are you not a month ahead on budget? STOP SPENDING MONEY YOU DON'T HAVE!

Knyteguy posted:

moving forward I'm unwilling to compromise on a second car.
Okay, so what's your plan until then? What are you going to do to stop you from freaking out when it snows a week straight and your wife is pissed off about having to drive you to work all the time and you say "gently caress it all" and buy something in a hurry for $5000 because well you're totally getting a raise in March and you totally deserve a nice car after all your suffering?

Is there a bus stop near your wife's work? Is there one within five or ten miles of your work? You keep saying you'll get to my points later, but you never do. Why are you such a pussy about asking your boss about changing your hours to better work with your child care?

Knyteguy posted:

So my initial estimate of $300/mo was pretty close.
Earlier you said you were unwilling to budge on a second car unless it made a significant difference to your debt. Your current goal is $1000/mo towards debt. An extra $300/mo is basically one month faster every three. Is that not significant? How are you so easily shrugging at such a large expense? Why do you refuse to even investigate other options?

n8r posted:

n8r posted:

n8r posted:

n8r posted:

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
Before we move into October I'd like to understand the September numbers. It looks like another month where, to paraphrase from NPR, every category went over apt he average. You're way over budget in baby, discretionary, restaurants, and groceries, and I don't even think you've mentioned it in the thread. This is nothing new, these overages are pretty much the norm.

Your wife missing a single day from her paycheck would probably affect you by a few hundred bucks at most; you can't blame these numbers on that. So what happened to make you fall back into your old habits?

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

in_cahoots posted:

So what happened to make you fall back into your old habits?

The allure and then followthrough of the purchase of a really crappy old camaro, which I think is probably every person in debt's kryptonite(guy).

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
I still want to know about that $4000 overage from August.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I still can't believe you are actually selling the car.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I can't believe no one has lol'd at the, "I don't need to change my oil often since it burns it and I have to refill it". And replacing an engine/transmission is cheap, just some beer/pizza. Do these things matter really, probably not. But it does imply that the car might not be in as good shape as you said/thought it was and maybe overestimating how easy/simple a large repair could be.

I'm also suspect of the 5k miles a year number. I work from home, rarely drive my car, and I still manage to get 2-3k on it a year.

My biggest issue with the Camaro isn't just how impractical of a car it is for a family, but since it's a v8 it is just more expensive all around. Insurance is more expensive because cylinders + 2 doors, gas mileage is going to be worse, takes more oil, more spark plugs, etc. If you like to stomp on the go pedal, now you are putting new tires on more often, plus wider tires means potentially more expensive tires. A few bucks here and there doesn't cost much, but it does add up.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

spwrozek posted:

I still can't believe you are actually selling the car.

Because if he does, and makes some reasonable cuts to "discretionary* spending, he can have that car totally paid off and get enough out of the sale of the Corolla to have two nice cars and no debt.

KG has mentioned he has issues buying 'gadgets' with his discretionary, I'd like to hear a sampling of both what he and his wife use that money for. This is $300/month that could be going to things that really benefit KG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Knyteguy posted:

1. You need to stop flailing. You have a tendency to make large-scale gut-reaction purchasing decisions, and it torpedoes any incremental progress you make.

2. Following on from this, you need to decide on a fixed budget, make no major changes to your life, and stick to the budget for several months in a row. This is basically the foundation of what should be your ongoing financial discipline, the bedrock upon which your future financial success needs to be laid, and for the last two years you have absolutely not met this very fundamental financial habit without which you will not succeed.

Expanding on my previous diet analogy: you've been on the financial equivalent of a fad diet/binge cycle. You need to reorder your thinking and look at the benefits of a constant lifestyle change instead.

• Locked thread