Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Lamadrid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMljR1M4smY

If you are not ready to start a fight in the stands after hearing that leader of men you are dead inside.Al Davis owned for so long and so hard that those 8 to 7 years at the end don't count for poo poo.
Al davis owned. the Raiders bitch.

The NFL doesn't want me to learn how much Al Davis owned, apparently.

But I will try not to think of him as just the guy who went to the mat for Jamarcus Russell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ron Jeremy posted:

Before this 40 years in the desert, the raiders had a winning record against every non-recent expansion team in the league except the chiefs.

The Raiders as a franchise are still one of the winningest teams of all time.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

computer parts posted:

The Chargers beat the Raiders like 13 straight times during the Tomlinson era and still have a losing record against them by like 15 games

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

computer parts posted:

They're 13th...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Seriously someone needs to do a thread about how baller al Davis was.Employed and drafted latinos and black people in the 60's,first Latino qb, first Latino coach, refused to go segregated hotels,lead the afl assault on the NFL and when he was hosed out of the commissioner's seat he embarked in a lifelong trolling performance and that's just his moral fiber.Motherfucker took the once a raider always a raider hard.He flew the best surgeon to take care of Matt millen's dad tears after he had stop playing for him.

Al Davis motherfucking owns forever.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Also, I don't buy into the whole Al was senile toward the end bit. Go watch his loving awesome projector speech about Lane Kiffin. Dude had all his marbles right up til the end.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I may be an Al-apologist or whatever but I think Al Davis started making risky but not senile decisions near the end. Russell and McFadden and DHB in theory could have taken the league by storm if yknow, Jamarcus wasnt Jamarcus

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Ron Jeremy posted:

Also, I don't buy into the whole Al was senile toward the end bit. Go watch his loving awesome projector speech about Lane Kiffin. Dude had all his marbles right up til the end.

He was really particular about some "interesting" things, and the whole concept of what he was doing there was kind of strange but it also owned. In conclusion, you're right

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Senile or not, he really hosed the franchise the last 5 or so years of his life.

Catfish Stevens
Jul 9, 2001

WHO DAT? Who gives a damn?

Blitz7x posted:

I may be an Al-apologist or whatever but I think Al Davis started making risky but not senile decisions near the end. Russell and McFadden and DHB in theory could have taken the league by storm if yknow, Jamarcus wasnt Jamarcus

I get what you're saying and at a certain point you have to take a chance but all the warning signs were there with JaMarcus.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Catfish Stevens posted:

I get what you're saying and at a certain point you have to take a chance but all the warning signs were there with JaMarcus.

If Jamarcus got drafted in 1972, the Raiders would've won 7 Super Bowls.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Volkerball posted:

If Jamarcus got drafted in 1972, the Raiders would've won 7 Super Bowls.

And if my aunt had balls she might be my uncle.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
If Jamarcus Russell was drafted in 1972 he would have been -13 years old

Although that does sound like a better QB than real life Jamarcus

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

My point being the game kind of left Al behind in the end. DHB was such a physical specimen that nothing else mattered. Except he really wasn't that special as an athlete, and everything else did sort of matter. Nobody could stop Jamarcus hitting Branch deep, but defenses had evolved a bit since then, when it was just man coverage one on one and basic blitzes.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Ross Angeles posted:

Senile or not, he really hosed the franchise the last 5 or so years of his life.

It went beyond the last five years, the team had to be financially burned down to be rebuilt but thank god Mark decided to let football people run things and even though he's made a few executive decisions, they've all been good and now we're kinda sorta looking like a good modern football organization, albeit one playing in the equivalent of a 12th century Inquisition keep

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

speaking of aunts and uncles, how's Eddie's nephew doing?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Everyone drafts some real idiots eventually if they do it long enough. Al Davis owns, the raiders were stone cold killers.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Blitz7x posted:

Was McFadden really a risky pick? He obviously never lived up to potential or expectations, but I didn't think there were any red flags about him when he came out.

Also, now that I live in Oakland, I really hope the Raiders don't move.

(Though this opinion might change after I actually go to the Coliseum for the Packers game)

Shrimpy fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 30, 2015

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Shrimpy posted:

Was McFadden really a risky pick? He obviously never lived up to potential or expectations, but I didn't think there were any red flags about him when he came out.

Also, now that I live in Oakland, I really hope the Raiders don't move.

(Though this opinion might change after I actually go to the Coliseum for the Packers game)

He wasn't, hell McFadden made the Raiders watchable in 09 and 10

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

McFadden was a bust, but it's in the Bust By Injury category which isn't a giant reflection on scouting or whatever

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I don't begrudge Al the JaMarcus pick at all. They absolutely had to have a QB at 1-1 and it isn't like there were any better options available in that draft. The best two players went #2 and #3 but who throws to Calvin Johnson if they took him, and who exactly would Joe Thomas have been blocking for?

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

warcrimes posted:

speaking of aunts and uncles, how's Eddie's nephew doing?

He was banned from a meeting meant for men only, so we're back to the original metaphor.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Davis' biggest mistakes the last several years of his life were his coaches. He made some pretty terrible choices, starting with his decision to fire Gruden.

Bill Callahan
Norv Turner
Art Shell
Lane Kiffen
Tom Cable
Hue Jackson

Really, since 1995, the Raiders haven't had a coach last longer than three years.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Hue Jackson actually owns at everything but management

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Where would the Raiders be today if Al Davis hadn't fired Gruden?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Brannock posted:

They traded him lol

Nov 6, 2002

Brannock posted:

It's hard to imagine a Gruden led Raiders beating a Dungy led Bucs in the Super Bowl. But then, I don't think a Dungy led Bucs team would have even made it there.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Brannock posted:

Still poo poo because Gannon was still about to be done. That team was really really veteran dependent

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

NC-17 posted:

It's hard to imagine a Gruden led Raiders beating a Dungy led Bucs in the Super Bowl. But then, I don't think a Dungy led Bucs team would have even made it there.

Going back to the tuck rule... had that call gone the other way, Chucky stays in Oakland. We win the superbowl that year and next. No churn of coaches, no 15 years of suckage.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Ron Jeremy posted:

Going back to the tuck rule... had that call gone the other way, Chucky stays in Oakland. We win the superbowl that year and next. No churn of coaches, no 15 years of suckage.

How are you so sure you'd have won the AFCCG and Superbowl in 2001? The Rams were pretty good.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Ross Angeles posted:

How are you so sure you'd have won the AFCCG and Superbowl in 2001? The Rams were pretty good.

:smith:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

So were the Raiders. Gannon throwing the T Brown and Jerry Rice? Lawd have mercy...

Pure Homer. I'm not sure, but I think so.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I wish Vermeil wouldn't have moved across the state

Nov 6, 2002

Ron Jeremy posted:

How does keeping Gruden prevent a team full of old men from turning into dust?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Ron Jeremy posted:

So were the Raiders. Gannon throwing the T Brown and Jerry Rice? Lawd have mercy...

The Rams had the best offense in the league. The Patriots beat them, but they had a very good offense and a very good scoring defense, while the Raiders were bottom third of the league in scoring defense.

A Raiders/Rams superbowl in 2001 would have been like, 41-34

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Also New England cheated

Nov 6, 2002

Thankfully we know Al Davis was above that.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Ross Angeles posted:

Also New England cheated

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ross Angeles posted:

The Rams had the best offense in the league. The Patriots beat them, but they had a very good offense and a very good scoring defense, while the Raiders were bottom third of the league in scoring defense.

A Raiders/Rams superbowl in 2001 would have been like, 41-34

The Pats didn't win because of scoring defense, they won because the secondary loving murdered people. Their offense wasn't even close to comparable to the Raiders. The defense killed all Warners receivers. Credit where it's due, they shut that poo poo down.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Ron Jeremy posted:

Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt were pretty good too, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

Volkerball posted:

The Pats didn't win because of scoring defense, they won because the secondary loving murdered people. Their offense wasn't even close to comparable to the Raiders. The defense killed all Warners receivers. Credit where it's due, they shut that poo poo down.

Yeah they played the receivers hard. But mostly the Patriots took Marshall Faulk away and said beat us down the field, and Mike Martz said no I want to beat you with Faulk and proceeded to lose a Super Bowl.

• Locked thread