Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Brannock posted:

Who is the second person depicted here?

Also ugh JPG compression.

Debbie Wasserman Schultz, DNC chairwoman and :shillary: shill. She used to work for :shillary:

E: she is also the one who setup that schedule and has refused to modify it despite all the pressure from candidates and phone calls she received. She also threatened to sanction any candidate participating in any other debates than the 6 official ones. As you can see, 4 of them are rigged.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

Yes, the main reason for the switch was that Catholics joined the pro-life movement and they don't like contraception. It was a compromise position that evolved into doctrine.

Nah it's because segregation had lost its power as a wedge issue after Bob Jones University lost their case against the IRS. Paul Weyrich of the Heritage Foundation has admitted repeatedly they latched onto Roe as a means of keeping the white Christian crowd politically active.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

comes along bort posted:

Nah it's because segregation had lost its power as a wedge issue after Bob Jones University lost their case against the IRS. Paul Weyrich of the Heritage Foundation has admitted repeatedly they latched onto Roe as a means of keeping the white Christian crowd politically active.

You can latch onto Roe without banning contraception. It really only makes sense if you're trying to court the Catholics.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

1 real trick voters really hate! :rolleyes:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

You can latch onto Roe without banning contraception. It really only makes sense if you're trying to court the Catholics.

ShadowCatboy was talking about protestants turning against abortion, not contraception.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
While in general such stuff should stick to the primary thread, let's be honest, the Democrat establishment doesn't want Bernie to win a whole lot more than the GOP one wants Trump. Although I wasn't paying much attention to politics at the time, I'm guessing Obama trounced Hillary at the debates in 2008 so they are probably trying to avoid a repeat of that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

comes along bort posted:

ShadowCatboy was talking about protestants turning against abortion, not contraception.

Huh, I don't know how I got to that. Maybe this paragraph in the second article:

quote:

In 1968, Christianity Today and the Christian Medical Society hosted a gathering of evangelical leaders from across the country for a symposium on birth control. The purpose was to set forth "the conservative or evangelical position within Protestantism" from scholars who "shared a common acceptance of the Bible as the final authority on moral issues." The joint statement resulting from the conference, titled "A Protestant Affirmation on the Control of Human Reproduction," included the consensus of attendees on abortion.

"Whether the performance of an induced abortion is sinful we are not agreed," it declared, "but about the necessity of it and permissibility for it under certain circumstances we are in accord." Circumstances justifying abortion included "family welfare, and social responsibility." "When principles conflict," they affirmed, "the preservation of fetal life ... may have to be abandoned to maintain full and secure family life."

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Radbot posted:

When you think about it, the Tea Party is effectively more economically liberal than Obama because Obama wanted to cut entitlements, and the Tea Party prevented it.

Not exactly. Yes, the teatards hosed up the Grand Bargain, but only because they refused to sign on to any tax hikes.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

Huh, I don't know how I got to that. Maybe this paragraph in the second article:

That article's not really about contraception, which gets a brief mention in quoting one guy's opinion. At any rate it was and still remains a fringe position among protestants

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Khisanth Magus posted:

While in general such stuff should stick to the primary thread, let's be honest, the Democrat establishment doesn't want Bernie to win a whole lot more than the GOP one wants Trump. Although I wasn't paying much attention to politics at the time, I'm guessing Obama trounced Hillary at the debates in 2008 so they are probably trying to avoid a repeat of that.

Go reread the primary thread if this is your takeaway. The key word is party endorsements, Obama and Hillary were neck and neck going into the debates where Bernie has none I'm pretty sure.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Dalael posted:

For those who may not understand what lovely trick DWS is pulling for :shillary: please understand its not just about the number of debates. The dates are truly what matters. Check this out and you will understand just how much DWS and the DNC are really doing to make sure :shillary: wins.

oh man, no way, not the debates. is nothing sacred??

please, this is the superdelegates panic all over again.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

paranoid randroid posted:

oh man, no way, not the debates. is nothing sacred??

please, this is the superdelegates panic all over again.

but don't you see they're having TWO DEBATES on a WEEKEND this AGGRESSION WILL NOT STAND

edit: THREE, THREE DEBATES ON A WEEKEND, OMG

VelvetRiver
Dec 1, 2014

Dalael posted:

For those who may not understand what lovely trick DWS is pulling for :shillary: please understand its not just about the number of debates. The dates are truly what matters. Check this out and you will understand just how much DWS and the DNC are really doing to make sure :shillary: wins.

Are there that many people who watch (these) debates (that won't be the Trump shitshow) who aren't already registered, and is there really that much carryover between people who watch NFL and and people who would watch the debates?

The Saturday things are both pretty crappy, though.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Since when did watching the debates even matter, it's all about the media narrative after the fact.

Oh and the media will have a vested interest in propping up Bernie to keep it a somewhat competitive horserace

nachos fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 30, 2015

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Debates exist so dummies can bitch about the way their darling gets treated.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ah yes, New York, noted anti-Hilliary Clinton state.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Dalael posted:

I don't live in New York but apparently the October 9 registration deadline that picture references is for 2015 municipal elections.

Also scheduling the debates on Saturdays will not affect the winner of the election. What's next, ":shillary: SUPPORTERS SCHEDULE DEBATE ON SAME DAY AS GAME OF THRONES?"

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 30, 2015

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Mukaikubo posted:

but don't you see they're having TWO DEBATES on a WEEKEND this AGGRESSION WILL NOT STAND

edit: THREE, THREE DEBATES ON A WEEKEND, OMG

Rigged! Rigged I say! Think of all the young liberals, who aren't politically engaged, out on Saturday night and who will have no way of finding out what happened during the debate! Everyone knows that Network Broadcast TV is the only way to absorb information these days-and it's totally worthless unless you are physically watching as it happens live! That's why Nielsen Ratings have never been stronger or more culturally relevant!

Bonus points for finding a way to highlight the crafty, tricky, Jew pulling the strings and rigging things.

Establishment Candidates/Presumptive Favorites will always want fewer debates. Because every debate is an opportunity for things to go wrong. Insurgent candidates will always want more debates-because they need a disruption to the status quo. We saw how this plays out in 2012, and that was pretty mild, as far as things going badly for the GOP. The rules always suck until they protect the candidate you like.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

James Garfield posted:

I don't live in New York but apparently the October 9 registration deadline that picture references is for 2015 municipal elections.

Also scheduling the debates on Saturdays will not affect the winner of the election. What's next, ":shillary: SUPPORTERS SCHEDULE DEBATE ON SAME DAY AS GAME OF THRONES?"

They scheduled the debate on November 14th to be the 20th anniversary of Newtmentum shutting down the government so that voters would remember Bill's fight fondly and transfer that happiness to Hillary. ITSACONSPIRACYPAAAAAWL

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

It's really unfair that Hillary got to be married to Bill Clinton and none of the other candidates have had the same opportunity. It's pretty clear that DOMA was just the establishment keeping Sanders from wooing Bill away from her.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Litany Unheard posted:

And doesn't Davis's brand of Christianity consider Catholics to be Hell-bound idol worshipers?

Yeah, that's a big chunk of why I doubt it. Yeah, Francis holds that Catholics in the government can refuse to discharge their duties if it contradicts their faith. That has been a Catholic thing since forever, Thomas More is probably the most famous example of it.

But him meeting with someone from a group of known liars who is from a political bloc he is fighting against is much less likely to me

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Rand Paul's Super PAC has suspended fundraising operations and its leader telling the press that Paul has "abandoned libertarian principles"

:getin:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Fried Chicken posted:

Rand Paul's Super PAC has suspended fundraising operations and its leader telling the press that Paul has "abandoned libertarian principles"

:getin:

I love that the libertarians are always the last to figure out they're being used. Rational actors, eh?

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Clinton/Sanders conspiracy theories tread dangerously close to tea-party "RINO" style politics. Some of the claims on that chart are an enormous stretch.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Fried Chicken posted:

This is the Steve Sailer/Sean Trende mantra, that the lost because of "missing white voters" so pushing to really chase and get out the white vote will win.

It is also completely incorrect.

Hey, just curious, do you have any links or sources on this? The part about it being completely incorrect; I believe that's what Sailer says.

not because I disagree with you, it's just be nice to have a more in-depth analysis

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Khisanth Magus posted:

I actually sort of remember Hillary doing well at the debates, or at least it being mentioned as a thing that helped her during 2008.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

Rand Paul declared that Ted Cruz is "done for" in the Senate. Gotta love the knives being out

He's having such a bad day. I would love it if Paul just snapped and went full Roger Griswold on Cruz.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Bob Ojeda posted:

Hey, just curious, do you have any links or sources on this? The part about it being completely incorrect; I believe that's what Sailer says.

not because I disagree with you, it's just be nice to have a more in-depth analysis

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/113940/missing-white-voters-they-exist-not-enough-gop

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Toph Bei Fong posted:

He's having such a bad day. I would love it if Paul just snapped and went full Roger Griswold on Cruz.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/09/rand-paul-superpac-purplepac-dark-214221#ixzz3n9XnsK4M

fun read

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Geoff Peterson posted:

That's why Nielsen Ratings have never been stronger or more culturally relevant!

I got selected to be a rater once. They sent me an envelope with the journal to keep track of what I watched, and like $80 of real cash money to encourage me to actually do it. I kept the cash and threw that poo poo away. I have no idea how they lasted more than a month.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Fascinating graphic on TV buying

https://twitter.com/mmurraypolitics/status/648950691311001600

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So the likely incoming speaker just admitted that Benghazi is political and was made to hurt Hillary

http://blogs.rollcall.com/218/kevin-mccarthy-gives-boehner-b-credits-benghazi-committee-hurting-hillary-clintons-poll-numbers/?SD

quote:

In an extraordinary interview on Sean Hannity’s Fox News show Tuesday, Kevin McCarthy gave the man he hopes to replace as speaker a B- grade — and touted the Benghazi Committee’s dinging Hillary Clinton’s poll numbers as an example of the kind of leadership he’ll provide...

“And let me give you one example. Everybody thought Hillary Clinton was unbeatable, right?

“But we put together a Benghazi special committee. A select committee. What are her numbers today? Her numbers are dropping. Why? Because she’s untrustable. But no one would have known that any of that had happened had we not fought to make that happen.”

That appears to be a reference to Clinton’s private server email woes.

Seems like kind of a big deal that the media should report.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Good to know Team Huckster spends most of their cash on anti-trump ads. And hahahahahaha eat poo poo Rand.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Thanks man

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
The soon-to-be-latest casualty of McCutcheon: laws banning bribery gifts given to legislators with no explicit expectation of repayment, naturally.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I don't understand this graphic. A Donald Trump PAC is spending money on Anti-Trump ads? How am I supposed to read it?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

theblackw0lf posted:

So the likely incoming speaker just admitted that Benghazi is political and was made to hurt Hillary

http://blogs.rollcall.com/218/kevin-mccarthy-gives-boehner-b-credits-benghazi-committee-hurting-hillary-clintons-poll-numbers/?SD

Seems like kind of a big deal that the media should report.

What's to report? He's not admitting that the Benghazi scandal is purely political, he's implying that she did something wrong and nobody would know it about if those brave committee members weren't "investigating" it.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I got selected to be a rater once. They sent me an envelope with the journal to keep track of what I watched, and like $80 of real cash money to encourage me to actually do it. I kept the cash and threw that poo poo away. I have no idea how they lasted more than a month.

Huh? Some neighbors of mine did this thing. It involved having a belt-clip microphone data recorder or something about their person while they were watching TV. It was entirely automated and they got paid to do it, they never mentioned having to do any keeping track themselves, just had to have the thing turned on for some number of hours in order to receive credit.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

What's to report? He's not admitting that the Benghazi scandal is purely political, he's implying that she did something wrong and nobody would know it about if those brave committee members weren't "investigating" it.

Plus the committee has been around long enough that the people who care about it have already made up their minds. Either it's a waste of time and they're angry about it, or it's doing GOD'S WORK and they love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

nachos posted:

Since when did watching the debates even matter, it's all about the media narrative after the fact.

Oh and the media will have a vested interest in propping up Bernie to keep it a somewhat competitive horserace

Yes. Because the media have done a good job of covering so far. Im sure they will cover him just as much as they are covering now.

• Locked thread