Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

ImpAtom posted:

Except that means you're now locked into a bad situation if you save at the wrong time which will probably make you waste more time than going back the ~5 minutes you had to go before. Hitman actually had that exact problem.

That's why you'd do it in a quiet spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Except that means you're now locked into a bad situation if you save at the wrong time which will probably make you waste more time than going back the ~5 minutes you had to go before. Hitman actually had that exact problem.

And this would be worse than the existing system how?

Honestly, I don't have a big problem with the existing system as I understand it. But the fact that the game has been out a month and we're still arguing about how to save our resources and how checkpoints work is the problem. This poo poo should have been crystal clear up-front.

Now that I understand it, my issues are mostly with how it implemented interface wise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

That's why you'd do it in a quiet spot.

So perhaps it saves you outside of the base you're about to infiltrate or right after you leave?

Snak posted:

And this would be worse than the existing system how?

It is easier to break, more likely to cause player error, and also tends to make players mentally restart to a checkpoint every time they make a mistake instead of trying to deal with the consequences.

Snak posted:

we're still arguing about how to save our resources and how checkpoints work is the problem.

No we're not. The game literally shows you when it is saving as well as has audio queues and popups. There are flaws with it (it should auto-save when you leave Mother Base for one) but they are something that could be trivially fixed by the addition of one or two additional save triggers, not by revamping the entire thing.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 30, 2015

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
End of mission 12 is still poo poo after a 2nd playthrough. My god Salenthropus is such a pain. At one point he glitched out and just stared at me through a rock and did nothing. Had to restart.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ImpAtom posted:

The game also auto-saves pretty regularly. Like the system as it exists now is more lenient than the one you're suggesting.

The death would happen with literally any save system and short of auto-saving every three seconds he'd still lose progress with it, especially in a timed mission.
Its got the same bell curve of anger I experienced for Hitman Blood Money too. Where a death early on is alright because you didn't get very far and know what to do now, and when you are deep into the game you get a few really angering deaths where you lose some dumb amount of progress due to misunderstanding parts of the save system, and finally reaching a point where you get those technically time wasting deaths, but you are 100% OK with it because you figure you're going to play that same exact mission 5 times in the next two weeks anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Red Mundus posted:

End of mission 12 is still poo poo after a 2nd playthrough. My god Salenthropus is such a pain. At one point he glitched out and just stared at me through a rock and did nothing. Had to restart.

The end of that mission pissed me off so bad. I stole a jeep and threw Huey into it and decided I'd just drive away.

Nope. Mission failed. For some reason (I presume because the Metal Gear shows up in public and causes a lot of poo poo) that counts as a failure when normally you can extract dudes by jeeping out in any other segment.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

So perhaps it saves you outside of the base you're about to infiltrate or right after you leave?

Yeah that wouldn't be so bad.

edit: Wouldn't be so bad IF it was your choice when to use your "save" so you could fulton a shitload of guards or extract loads of materials then "save". if for whatever reason you screwup you load your checkpoint and you still have those guards fultoned and materials extracted. Sorry this is terribly worded.

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 30, 2015

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

That's how it actually works. :ssh:

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

That's literally how it works everywhere except for two missions (Backup Back Down and Backup Back Down Extreme)

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

ImpAtom posted:

The end of that mission pissed me off so bad. I stole a jeep and threw Huey into it and decided I'd just drive away.

Nope. Mission failed. For some reason (I presume because the Metal Gear shows up in public and causes a lot of poo poo) that counts as a failure when normally you can extract dudes by jeeping out in any other segment.

I think it's because you have to extract via chopper so they can do the slow mo minigun part. I actually completely lost Sahelanthropus and was about to dump Huey into the chopper when it popped up out of nowhere and spotted me, since it gets teleported to the LZ for the set piece. It's one of the few missions I've never replayed because I don't want to do that part again.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
It doesn't matter if you defeat Sahelanthropus or lure it all the way to the NE corner of the map, it always shows up to attack the chopper. Sucks, it's also the only reason you can't get No Traces since you're required to fire the minigun.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Stabbatical posted:

I knew there was a PC MGS port, I never really thought about it before, but now I'm wondering how the Psycho Mantis and post-torture arm massage stuff works without a Playstation?

I played it on PC. If I recall, they didn't change the voice over, but the text said to use your keyboard instead of a gamepad, I think.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Also sometimes Pequod glitches out and never lands. Salenthrophus was smashing around the central base area (something I thought he couldn't do so that was kind of neat.) but the heli never, ever landed even though we were literally miles away. That necessitated a SECOND restart.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I think it's because you have to extract via chopper so they can do the slow mo minigun part. I actually completely lost Sahelanthropus and was about to dump Huey into the chopper when it popped up out of nowhere and spotted me, since it gets teleported to the LZ for the set piece. It's one of the few missions I've never replayed because I don't want to do that part again.

Yeah, I'm sure the out-of-universe reason is 'we wanted to do that setpiece" but it's one of the times the game breaks the rules it lies down. Extraction is a viable option even in other settings where you'd think it wasn't (like dumping all the child soldiers in a jeep) so it not being viable there felt kinda dumb.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

No we're not. The game literally shows you when it is saving as well as has audio queues and popups. There are flaws with it (it should auto-save when you leave Mother Base for one) but they are something that could be trivially fixed by the addition of one or two additional save triggers, not by revamping the entire thing.

I mean I literally asked about it today and some people said that abort to ACC would save stuff. Then we tested it and determined that wasn't true. So maybe you're not arguing about it, but there absolutely was still discussion going on as to what saves your poo poo.

In free roam, getting on a chopper saves your poo poo. In a mission, it doesn't.

I pretty much agree with you about how the checkpoint system should be fixed, but don't pretend like the game was straightforward about how it worked. For example, the yellow saving circle that you can get by loving around in the iDroid doesn't save your extractions up to that point, just any MB administrative choices you've made. This was a big point of confusion for some people. So saying "the games tells you when it's saving" as though that means that it's perfectly clear what states are being saved is not accurate. Plus there's the extra confusion added by some enemies still being marked after you've reset to a checkpoint. How am I supposed to interpret that? What the hell does that mean?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
https://www.reddit.com/r/NeverBeGameOver/comments/3n0o7s/the_code_i_found_potentially_broken_or_breakable/

i can't tell whats going on here but it seems like this dude went all good will hunting and took all the random numbers found throughout GZ and TPP and did the P.T code breaker thing and came up with the words "Truth The Man Who Sold The World Is Not The Final Mission" out of it all. :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: he explains his process too which i guess looks legit? i dont know, my eyes glaze over if im in reddit for more than 2 minutes.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Hasn't this game been datamined to hell already? I find it really unbelievable that there's another final mission everyone somehow missed.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
I wonder what it's like to be in Darren Aronofsky's Pi

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NeverBeGameOver/comments/3n0o7s/the_code_i_found_potentially_broken_or_breakable/

i can't tell whats going on here but it seems like this dude went all good will hunting and took all the random numbers found throughout GZ and TPP and did the P.T code breaker thing and came up with the words "Truth The Man Who Sold The World Is Not The Final Mission" out of it all. :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: he explains his process too which i guess looks legit? i dont know, my eyes glaze over if im in reddit for more than 2 minutes.

That subreddit really needs to get their R&D team onto developing some brain meds, this reads like a biblical code conspiracy theory

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

RatHat posted:

Hasn't this game been datamined to hell already? I find it really unbelievable that there's another final mission everyone somehow missed.

I think these people are expecting another mission with the MGO update.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Hasn't Konami explicitly said that there's no story DLC? The singleplayer stuff is just some outfits and side-ops.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

One guy just said that there's currently no plans. I thought just the costumes were confirmed. Do we know what kind of side-ops we're getting?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I could've sworn I saw something about new side-ops but I can't find anything on Google so I guess I'm mistaken. But yes, some costumes and horse outfits are confirmed.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Vikar Jerome posted:

I'd have to look closer, but it seems like he's just working backwards from a big pool of letters and arranging them into something that fits his conspiracy theory. It's not an exact character match or anything - it looks like you could basically get almost any phrase you want out of it.

RatHat posted:

Hasn't Konami explicitly said that there's no story DLC? The singleplayer stuff is just some outfits and side-ops.

They had some community manager say "I have no announcements for story DLC." To be fair, that is not an absolute denial that they are ever going to do story DLC - if they were, they wouldn't be announcing it through some peon on twitter - but it's also pretty obvious to all but the most desperate that there is not going to be any more. The team is split up, the studio has been renamed, Kojima is basically just sitting on his thumb until his contract expires, and the guy behind the Fox Engine left. Even if by some miracle they pulled everyone back together, I highly doubt they'd be able to create any kind of decent story DLC before everyone is thrown out on their asses at the end of the year.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 1, 2015

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

RatHat posted:

Because this is just like the indoctrination theory with Mass Effect 3. We need a stupid excuse to state that what we've seen is not real and hope that there will be a DLC that fixes everything.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Nakar posted:

I went through the guide and the TppRevenge.lua file and catalogued as much of the response system as I could. I created a Pastebin rather than spam the thread as it's pretty long. The tl;dr is as follows:
  • KO/Kill more people undetected and enemies become more perceptive, use more (and more advanced) cameras/decoys/mines, and fake being held up more often (up to half the time!). Also they supposedly get knocked out for less time.
  • KO/Kill more people during Combat Alerts and enemies get more armored, use better weapons, and can call in vehicles as backup (up to heavy-armored black/red vehicles).
  • Get discovered more at night and guards can see better at night and will use more flashlights and NVG. Kill more at night and guards put lights on their guns.
  • Snipe more enemies and there will be first bolt-action, then semi-auto sniper enemies.
  • Let Pequod get kills or kill with vehicles and enemies will start carrying first launchers, then Honeybees, and possibly CGL 35s.
  • Every 20 headshots increases helmet-wearing by 10%, up to 70% total, and this never goes down.
  • If you let 20 sleeping people get discovered, enemies call in before investigating any sleeping guy.
  • After 7, 21, and 35 Fulton extractions are spotted by enemies, they'll start shooting them down instantly unless you're using the Wormhole. The Wormhole also seems to not count when it's noticed.
  • When enemies get hit by smoke/gas or see smoke/gas they'll use gas masks more often.
Missions can override these settings, either locking out certain responses or forcing them. Extreme missions usually just max most or all of these settings for instance.
Not to keep throwing wrenches in your research, but I just confirmed my helmet preparedness going down. I have basically stopped shooting people in the end game because of bionic arm stuff. I don't have specifics on a lot of when and hows, but I noticed a final drop of fairly white to totally unlit tonight, which coincides with hitting a 100k multiple of heroism.

I swear my Fulton preparedness has been going down since getting wormholes as well but I don't have as hard evidence as seeing it change in a single game session like I just did with the helmet preparedness.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Vikar Jerome posted:

I read through it until he said that 20-8-4-6-3 using an 0-25: A-Z cipher spells GUIDE. This would require G to be the 21st letter of the alphabet, when it is not.

Dude is fullblown offmeds crazy

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

I read through it until he said that 20-8-4-6-3 using an 0-25: A-Z cipher spells GUIDE. This would require G to be the 21st letter of the alphabet, when it is not.

He's numbering letters 0-25 and then unanagraming them or whatever the correct term is. It's about as mathematical as cold reading.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Sigma-X posted:

I think it's meant to be an anagram ( U I E G D ) but the entire system he's using is still dumb because you could basically make it say anything you want.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Sigma-X posted:

It's probably Hideo testing ideas for a new game, any minute now he'll do something perverted and everyone will be like "Oh hideoooo it was you all along" *slidewhistle*

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Nakar posted:

It's based on the last three missions you did, so if you only do x for three missions straight you should be good. Also it helps to go into Reflex or Combat Alert so you don't accidentally get Foxhound.

The best mission for most things is Lingua Franca. Once you know where the Viscount is held, just drive straight to him. There's a single guard, and the way you take him out will determine your codename after 2-3 tries. You could also do A Hero's Way from the nearby land start, just D-Horse over kill everyone en route to the commander with your means of choice, and get out. Or wait until he walks outside to talk to the troops and drop an airstrike on him to get Whale. :krakken:

I've actually been using C2W because it's so quick and has such a relative plethora of targets to headshot. I'll have to try Lingua Franca.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I think it's meant to be an anagram ( U I E G D ) but the entire system he's using is still dumb because you could basically make it say anything you want.

Yeah, at that point, where we are assigning arbitrary alphabet ciphers and then "descrambling" the results, pretty much anything should be possible.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Vikar Jerome posted:

To unlock the true ending, you have to go to the command platform and smoke 500 phantom cigars in a row. The game will advance to the year 1995 and Solid Snake will show up and kill you in one hit with a rocket launcher. I know this because my uncle is a janitor at Konami.

Seriously though, these people are AboveTopSecret level of batshit insane.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Castor Poe posted:

To unlock the true ending, you have to go to the command platform and smoke 500 phantom cigars in a row. The game will advance to the year 1995 and Solid Snake will show up and kill you in one hit with a rocket launcher. I know this because my uncle is a janitor at Konami.

Lies, everyone knows Kojima made it true to the canon mg1 ending, its FOUR rockets

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

zedprime posted:

Not to keep throwing wrenches in your research, but I just confirmed my helmet preparedness going down. I have basically stopped shooting people in the end game because of bionic arm stuff. I don't have specifics on a lot of when and hows, but I noticed a final drop of fairly white to totally unlit tonight, which coincides with hitting a 100k multiple of heroism.

I swear my Fulton preparedness has been going down since getting wormholes as well but I don't have as hard evidence as seeing it change in a single game session like I just did with the helmet preparedness.
Well, it's possible I'm misreading something in the file that lowers it, but there's no array for specifically calling for its decline every mission. There are other factors that can lower preparedness that aren't in TppRevenge.lua, like the Chicken Hat (which I suspect is like -50 to -100 per mission you complete wearing it to all readiness types), but within the file itself nothing ever mentions lowering Helmet and Fulton preparedness.

You're correct that the Wormhole appears to be completely distinct from regular Fultons and does not trigger Fulton preparedness to rise even if it's seen. I noticed that myself. So if you used the Wormhole exclusively and it's possible for Fulton preparedness to decline then in theory it should eventually drop to 0 and never go up again once you switch to the Wormhole. Or if you Chicken Hat it down to 0 and then use Wormholes forever, it'll also never go up because seeing the Wormhole apparently doesn't count as "spotting a Fulton."

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
You can actually just abort a mission while using the Chicken Hat and it gives you the readiness reduction effect.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Ekusukariba posted:

Lies, everyone knows Kojima made it true to the canon mg1 ending, its FOUR rockets

After playing mission 45 I could totally see Solid kicking my rear end with four rockets to the dome.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nakar posted:

You're correct that the Wormhole appears to be completely distinct from regular Fultons and does not trigger Fulton preparedness to rise even if it's seen. I noticed that myself. So if you used the Wormhole exclusively and it's possible for Fulton preparedness to decline then in theory it should eventually drop to 0 and never go up again once you switch to the Wormhole. Or if you Chicken Hat it down to 0 and then use Wormholes forever, it'll also never go up because seeing the Wormhole apparently doesn't count as "spotting a Fulton."

This makes sense also, since Fulton preparedness is basically "how good enemies are at shooting baloons" and nothing else. They probably didn't want guys to prioritize shooting at the wormhole, so...

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Snak posted:

This makes sense also, since Fulton preparedness is basically "how good enemies are at shooting baloons" and nothing else. They probably didn't want guys to prioritize shooting at the wormhole, so...

*squad of enemies fires into wormhole, someone at Mother Base has a very bad day*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Nakar posted:

Well, it's possible I'm misreading something in the file that lowers it, but there's no array for specifically calling for its decline every mission. There are other factors that can lower preparedness that aren't in TppRevenge.lua, like the Chicken Hat (which I suspect is like -50 to -100 per mission you complete wearing it to all readiness types), but within the file itself nothing ever mentions lowering Helmet and Fulton preparedness.

So if I'm sick of seeing helmets everywhere I can put on the chicken hat and finish a few missions to reset preparedness?

• Locked thread