Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I installed the GM via the beta program, and this link is just telling me I already have iOS10.11 installed...so am I good?

I opted out of the beta program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Snuffman posted:

I installed the GM via the beta program, and this link is just telling me I already have iOS10.11 installed...so am I good?

I opted out of the beta program.
No. You did not install the GM. You installed a candidate.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's really not. There's a very good chance that we get a new build number today.

Early reports are that it's 15A284, so GM Candidate users need to reinstall (unless Apple pushes some sort of delta, not likely).

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I stupidly installed the 10.11.1 beta on my mac, is it possible to "downgrade" to the GM and restore from my time machine backup? I wasn't paying attention and for some reason thought El Capitan had come out a few days ago.

If not, I can deal until 10.11.1 proper comes out (I haven't had any major issues) and opt-out of betas after that.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Terminal command to create USB installation media:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app --nointeraction

Format the drive as Untitled first.

Neron
Jan 14, 2008

robodex posted:

I stupidly installed the 10.11.1 beta on my mac, is it possible to "downgrade" to the GM and restore from my time machine backup? I wasn't paying attention and for some reason thought El Capitan had come out a few days ago.

If not, I can deal until 10.11.1 proper comes out (I haven't had any major issues) and opt-out of betas after that.

I did the same thing. I was able to reinstall the GM Candidate from the App Store "Purchased" tab.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Kreeblah posted:

Huh. I must have checked just when it went up. Here's hoping it doesn't blow up my workstation.

No issues so far. I'd heard unfortunate things about Office 2016, so it's nice to see that seems to be working for me.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
The 2 hour download is 2 hours too long. :(

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Anyone have a method for blocking html5 autoplay video in safari? A lot of sites seem to have discovered it overnight, and if the <video> tag is constructed via JS (or worse, draw with canvas), clicktoplugin won't see it.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

What's the diff between usb fresh install + time machine backup restore and just running the installer from within OS X?

Other than the potential for data loss I mean. Is there some kind of explanation for why the former is better beyond 'I've done it and it seems to work well'?

All my external hard disks are ntfs (I use paragon ntfs on os x) and I'm lazy af to move things around just go I can reformat a drive into a time machine compatible fs

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

What's the diff between usb fresh install + time machine backup restore and just running the installer from within OS X?

Other than the potential for data loss I mean. Is there some kind of explanation for why the former is better beyond 'I've done it and it seems to work well'?

All my external hard disks are ntfs (I use paragon ntfs on os x) and I'm lazy af to move things around just go I can reformat a drive into a time machine compatible fs

I'd like to know, too. Clean (Windows) installs have always yielded the best results for me, but I've never bothered with clean OS X installs except on new hardware. I just updated within OS X (no restore) and so far, so good.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Terminal command to create USB installation media:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app --nointeraction

Format the drive as Untitled first.

Thanks for that.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Mail seems to have split my gmail account into two mailboxes. One of them has only two messages in it, which are duplicated in the "other" one. Is it safe to delete that mailbox?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Welp, El Capitan upgrade failed and I'm stuck in a kernel panic loop. Any suggestions?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Restore your backup.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

drat my 2014 rMBP feels SNAPPY again. It was starting to feel a little sluggish near the end there but this is pretty amazing now. I don't know if Metal is helping with this, but Spaces/Exposé/Mission Control feels MUCH more responsive. I know there was general unhappiness about the graphics performance of the 13" rMBP at times and I was one of those who complained. This legitimately feels like a new machine. Wonder if it's just a placebo effect of the upgrade or whether I'm actually noticing these changes.

Going to install it on a 2007 iMac tomorrow, that should be a pretty good test on REAL lovely hardware.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I've got it running on some old MacPros, Early 2008 and OG 1,1's, runs smooth and fine.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Martytoof posted:

drat my 2014 rMBP feels SNAPPY again. It was starting to feel a little sluggish near the end there but this is pretty amazing now. I don't know if Metal is helping with this, but Spaces/Exposé/Mission Control feels MUCH more responsive. I know there was general unhappiness about the graphics performance of the 13" rMBP at times and I was one of those who complained. This legitimately feels like a new machine. Wonder if it's just a placebo effect of the upgrade or whether I'm actually noticing these changes.

Going to install it on a 2007 iMac tomorrow, that should be a pretty good test on REAL lovely hardware.
It's definitely Metal doing it and it's incredibly noticeable. We have one of the 2015 12" Macbooks at work and the difference between 10.10 and 10.11 is like night and day. I've had the same experience on my retina iMac when I put the GM candidate on it and I'm hopeful that the same thing will happen when I upgrade my 13" rMBP next week.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

fleshweasel posted:

Restore your backup.

Doesn't look like I can. Reinstalling the OS through recovery mode is trying to get El Capitan and is currently estimating 36 hours to complete.

Ugh

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mercurius posted:

It's definitely Metal doing it and it's incredibly noticeable. We have one of the 2015 12" Macbooks at work and the difference between 10.10 and 10.11 is like night and day. I've had the same experience on my retina iMac when I put the GM candidate on it and I'm hopeful that the same thing will happen when I upgrade my 13" rMBP next week.

I'm so psyched about the performance boost that I'm about to go walk to work to install on my iMac and air NOW so I can have them ready for when I come in tomorrow.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Blinkz0rz posted:

Doesn't look like I can. Reinstalling the OS through recovery mode is trying to get El Capitan and is currently estimating 36 hours to complete.

Ugh

Same. Apple's servers are getting slammed right now.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Does Messages still cause Mission Control to stutter and poo poo the bed? It's a small deal, but it's annoying, as no other program causes the animation to stutter. You can see a huge difference when switching programs with mission control and going back to Messages. And of course it only does it if translucency is enabled.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
I re-enabled transparency just to see if it didn't stutter as much, and yes, it's greatly improved from before.

Going to turn it back off just because I find the glass effects to be mildly distracting still.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Install went well on my late 2013 rMBP that was still running Mavericks and everything seems to be working great. Still not keen on some of the design changes but the new features and greater itnergration with my phone are nice. Safari seems much improved as well.

One of my main complaints is that Firefox looks ugly imo compared to under 10.9, but I realize that's more on Mozilla's end.

EDIT: On the plus side, I like the new font already.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 1, 2015

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So the mailbox thing was trivially resolved, but now I'm having some problems with my old u2410 display. It doesn't seem to wake up when I end display sleep. Power cycling it fixes things but it's going to be annoying since it has a backlight that takes a little bit to heat up.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Still installing on a 2007 MBP and how haven't they sorted out this thing with the estimated time left yet? Since Mavericks it's been "25 minutes left" where one minute takes 10-20 minutes. Why even show it?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Martytoof posted:

Wha-what? How could a 2014 rMBP possibly be sluggish? It's not even close to out of date. My Early 2011 MBP is still rolling along just fine and snappy!

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

SaintFu posted:

I’ve not seen that before, myself. What format is the audio?

One thing to try (if you haven’t already):
Open Subler
File>New
File> Import>File…
Navigate to the file you’re trying to convert. Subler will then list the tracks in the source file and options for handling them (passthrough, convert to AAC, etc.)

Subler also has an update just today, so that’s something as well.

Good luck.

Subler didn't work for me for some reason. When I did passthrough, it gave me the previous error message I posted. When I did convert to AAC, it actually crashed on me each time. (The newest version) But I found another demux program that did work, called MP4tools. Thanks for leading me in the right direction.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Mad Wack posted:

Wha-what? How could a 2014 rMBP possibly be sluggish? It's not even close to out of date. My Early 2011 MBP is still rolling along just fine and snappy!

It all comes down to the pixels. My 2012 rMBP has been incredibly sluggish until El Capitan, now it feels like a brand new machine. Metal is amazing (if that's what makes it feel SO good).

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
Can someone post a link where I can download Safari 9 for Yosemite?

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Subler didn't work for me for some reason. When I did passthrough, it gave me the previous error message I posted. When I did convert to AAC, it actually crashed on me each time. (The newest version) But I found another demux program that did work, called MP4tools. Thanks for leading me in the right direction.

Glad it worked out.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

jink posted:

It all comes down to the pixels. My 2012 rMBP has been incredibly sluggish until El Capitan, now it feels like a brand new machine. Metal is amazing (if that's what makes it feel SO good).

Honestly, if it felt that sluggish, you may have had software corruption in the previous OS that the update corrected.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

binarysmurf posted:

Can someone post a link where I can download Safari 9 for Yosemite?

It's in the app store under updates.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mercurius posted:

I have a retina iMac and I updated today. What is faster that I can go "wow" at? Games? Graphics? Just how fast poo poo opens up?

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

flosofl posted:

It's in the app store under updates.

:) Thanks. It didn't show up this morning when I checked.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Feenix posted:

I have a retina iMac and I updated today. What is faster that I can go "wow" at? Games? Graphics? Just how fast poo poo opens up?

It's mainly been the transitional/graphical UI effects for me, but I haven't done a whole lot with El Capitan besides web browsing and homework. Yosemite had frame drops all over the place for me -- sliding between desktops/webpages, maximizing apps/videos to full screen, Launchpad, scrolling in Office 2016 Word (which still crashes!), etc.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Ok so despite whining several times about how the install will render Windows unbootable, it sure didn't do that. Whatever, at least I could upgrade from beta 6 to GM.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

enojy posted:

It's mainly been the transitional/graphical UI effects for me, but I haven't done a whole lot with El Capitan besides web browsing and homework. Yosemite had frame drops all over the place for me -- sliding between desktops/webpages, maximizing apps/videos to full screen, Launchpad, scrolling in Office 2016 Word (which still crashes!), etc.

Ok I see. This wouldn't affect gaming performance in OSX, would it?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Feenix posted:

Ok I see. This wouldn't affect gaming performance in OSX, would it?
Right now, no, but newer games that are written to take advantage of Metal (which is similar in concept to DirectX on Windows, I guess) should see a performance difference. As enojy said, the main difference right now is that just that all of the UI animations are a lot smoother with no frame drops, particularly with Mission Control and transitions between two desktop spaces.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Why are some products cheaper on the Mac App Store than the website? This is the exact same product and version, but at the App Store it's $34 and at the website it's $54.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/video-converter-ultimate-aimersoft/id677030286?mt=12
http://www.aimersoft.com/purchase/buy-mac-video-converter-ultimate.html?f=pro

In the App store, you can click on a link to the website which says "buy now for $54"

I don't know why but Aimersoft is the only thing I've found that does MOV to MP4 H.264 encoding without changing the brightness and colors. (Same format and encoding profile) Earlier I had said the quality was still bad; I was using an old version though. In the trial version of this, it came out perfectly. MK4Tools was good for what I wanted to do earlier but I need some files compressed too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Apple doesn't set (Mac) App Store price points, the developer does. You'd have to ask that developer why they chose to do that.