Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Hammer Floyd posted:

Bingo! I hated how the Viper handled. Get my rear end into an Eagle and suddenly things start dying.

Unless the ship has something that can shoot behind it, I'm able to blow up pretty much everything.

I haven't thought about using a Chaff launcher. How long does the "Chaff" effect last? I'd hate to start taking on big ships and then get halfway through the fight and have no chaff left...

You'd love the Vulture, then. It's both agile and tough as nails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Hammer Floyd posted:

I haven't thought about using a Chaff launcher. How long does the "Chaff" effect last? I'd hate to start taking on big ships and then get halfway through the fight and have no chaff left...

The chaff effect lasts around 7 seconds, reloads are pretty cheap, too. They're slightly less useful in PvP, mind you, because human players will just untarget you, which makes their gimbals fire in fixed mode.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

EdEddnEddy posted:

Wait, you got a full refund this late in the dev process?

Also I assume you didn't buy too much more than one or two of the big packs from early on? You could probably have sold them on Reddit for more than you paid. :/

I am still debating doing just that, but then I see what the game may promise, and I hold on a little longer.

Overall I don't see the value dropping until the game releases and is a total pile of crap on fire. But if by some grace of the Game Gods it is not, I may not completely regret it...

The ship is burning, brohiem, get it now before there's no money left.

And yes, over the course of 3 years I had about $450 or so put into the game, with most of what that bought having already been sold on Reddit. I should get about $400 back if they're refunding everything. $300ish if it's just the ships.

Even if it does release it's not like I'm going to be out anything by not having all of the veteran backer rewards. So I lose some flair. If CIG actually releases a playable game I'll just buy the game again at normal prices.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

LCL-Dead posted:

And yes, over the course of 3 years I had about $450 or so put into the game, with most of what that bought having already been sold on Reddit. I should get about $400 back if they're refunding everything. $300ish if it's just the ships.

Even if it does release it's not like I'm going to be out anything by not having all of the veteran backer rewards. So I lose some flair. If CIG actually releases a playable game I'll just buy the game again at normal prices.

well oculus is only $350 from Oculus direct

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

TheresaJayne posted:

well oculus is only $350 from Oculus direct

http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-founder-palmer-luckey-explains-oculus-rift-cost-price-350/

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

currently it is $350 https://www1.oculus.com/order/

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Oh the DK2. Yeah, but a few months away from consumer products, I wouldn't go for that honestly.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I'm torn between the OR and the Vive now to a point where I can't make a decision.

You bastards..

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Zaardvark posted:

The chaff effect lasts around 7 seconds, reloads are pretty cheap, too. They're slightly less useful in PvP, mind you, because human players will just untarget you, which makes their gimbals fire in fixed mode.

Wouldn't say that un-useful. If they're running gimbals in pvp then being forced to a mode they're likely useless at, or the ship isn't very good at will be a big advantage to you.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Hammer Floyd posted:

Bingo! I hated how the Viper handled. Get my rear end into an Eagle and suddenly things start dying.

Unless the ship has something that can shoot behind it, I'm able to blow up pretty much everything.

It lasts for a few seconds and then has to reload, most people get around this by mounting multiple chaff launchers but the eagle only gets to bring 1.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
ObsidianAnt's review of playing Elite with the Vive sold me on it. Sounds like it is easily the best VR experience for the game. I'm going to do whatever it takes to preorder a consumer Vive when details of the holiday release become available.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Really, for a cockpit game like elite there's not going to be a single difference between the vive and rift. The resolutions are the exact same, optics close enough to be near indistinguishable for people, tracking dead on exact for both, and elites never going to use either of their motion controls. The only possible difference is maybe minor quirks, I'm not sure if the vive supports asynchronous timewarp to smooth things out for any frame rate hickups. Last I heard it didn't but I could easily be wrong about that. Also fit and fish, comfort might be a little different.

If anyone is going to pick up a VR headset for elite, make your decision based on what *else* you want to use it for, I'd say.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well if they are near identical then I guess it's either holiday 2015 for Vive or Q1 2016 for Rift because they are fickle bastards that love being late to market.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
You know what? gently caress bobbleheads. This kind of poo poo needs to be in E:D, like, yesterday: http://store.steampowered.com/app/388470

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Oh man it qualifies for same day delivery

CLICK

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go

Adult Sword Owner posted:

(Incidentally it's also a tattoo I want)

You are not alone.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Seriously considering stopping by HD on the way home and grabbing some wood boards to see if I can't assemble a lovely thing to sit on my lap and put my HOTAS at the sides of my legs such as in the cockpit

Still nervous about hitting switches with this thing on though

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

LCL-Dead posted:

Yea I have checked out the thread and man the tone has changed from years ago when everyone was on a pixel ship buying spree..

I did do a price check on reddit a while back, I think I can part with 1/2 of the ships I have and break close to even and just roll with it until the game eventually launches 3-5 years from now.

I feel the Citizen Con may be the time the FPS module finally drops, and if it doesn't, then well. Meh.

I did think they were pretty close to done with the Squadron 42 part of the game so what the hell happened to that? I know CR vision is hard for him to trust anyone with, but there has been a lot of progress that I would hate to see just completely implode into nothing this far along. :/

Also that VR for your phone app looks like a :barf: Fest with latency and lack of precision sensors on your phone, but I am still intrigued to try it...

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Oh man it qualifies for same day delivery

CLICK

if you haven't pressed order already, i recommend spending a few extra bucks to get the foam one. I ordered this one and its quite a lot more comfortable than the literal cardboard one. http://www.amazon.co.uk/AM-CARDBOAR...+cardboard+foam

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Siets posted:

Well if they are near identical then I guess it's either holiday 2015 for Vive or Q1 2016 for Rift because they are fickle bastards that love being late to market.
Vive is only doing a limited launch in 2015 with a larger full launch in 2016. Clever way of saying launched in 2015 with the majority still only getting it in 2016.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/08/valvehtc-vive-vr-headset-only-doing-a-limited-launch-in-2015/

Also price is still not officially released for either of them but keep in mind Vive is launching with two motion controllers that might increase the price while the Rift will launch with a bundled xbox controller.
Elite Dangerous will most likely not need the motion controllers to play, but it does play excellently with a xbox controller, (besides HOTAS of course, but this is assuming you'd only buy Elite + a HMD)

Also, not too sound like an Oculus fanboy (I'm getting both HMDs :flashfap:) but when have they been late to market? DK1 was the goal of the Kickstarter funding, and that was released on schedule (take into consideration they sold one unit every 4-5 minutes on the first day). DK2 was announced in March 2014, along with pre-orders, with delivery in July 2014 and it did that too on time.

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
Not being a computor nerd, is it likely I will be able to run an Oculus or Vive on my M17x Alienware Laptop?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Unlikely, unless you enjoy wearing barf bags around your neck? :v:

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Emnity posted:

Not being a computor nerd, is it likely I will be able to run an Oculus or Vive on my M17x Alienware Laptop?
Very unlikely, but also with laptops there is currently no support for the Nvidia Optimus that is very common in gaming laptops. The latest 0.7 SKD eliminated the HMD as a extended monitor and made it a more or less plug and play device that you directly load games into. There should be more info on Oculus blogs and stuff, I'm terrible at hardware support.

These are the Oculus recomended specs (consider it minimum specs if you want any kind of future-proofing)

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/the-rifts-recommended-spec-pc-sdk-0-6-released-and-mobile-vr-jam-voting/
NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater
Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
8GB+ RAM
Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
2x USB 3.0 ports
Windows 7 SP1 or newer

This is one of the laptops that can run Virtual Reality :v:
http://www.pcgamer.com/the-asus-gx700-is-an-insane-looking-watercooled-4k-laptop/

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is that Google cardboard any different?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

frank.club posted:

Is that Google cardboard any different?

I've yet to find any smartphone VNC app that does not run without some kind of obnoxious latency. To be fair, I've only tried Splashtop Streamer on iOS (which was supposed to be rated as one of the best.) Unless anyone has any recommendations in this area, I don't recommend trying to play Elite with any smartphone-based VR solution.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Siets posted:

I've yet to find any smartphone VNC app that does not run without some kind of obnoxious latency. To be fair, I've only tried Splashtop Streamer on iOS (which was supposed to be rated as one of the best.) Unless anyone has any recommendations in this area, I don't recommend trying to play Elite with any smartphone-based VR solution.

Mike the TV posted:

I'm using an app called Trinus on my pc and phone that send video (from Elite) to my phone while using Cardboard and then translates movement into head tracking for Elite.

He's saying it works fine.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

AndroidHub posted:

Yeah, I'm thinking about getting at least the CH stick after looking at it and hearing a lot of good things, might get the throttle too, it's nice that you can buy them seperately.

If you wanna pick one I'd recomend to start with the throttle paired to a cheap&good stick like the T-16000M. I guess it has twist so you have all the axis you need and the best bang for buck possible.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harmburger posted:

He's saying it works fine.

It's not for iOS

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

frank.club posted:

It's not for iOS

Not everyone has iOS either. "Unless anyone has any recommendations in this area"

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I was mostly just curious to hear what others were using for VNC and issuing a word of caution if you are an iOS user. Should have worded that better. Really hoping for a good, latency-free iPhone solution, but at this point Vive and Rift aren't terribly far away so meh.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

You know what? gently caress bobbleheads. This kind of poo poo needs to be in E:D, like, yesterday: http://store.steampowered.com/app/388470

Yeah, gimme my window Garfield and Aisling hug pillow waifu co-pilot damnit.

Or just make the game moddable and let the community sort it out, even if it's just a simple system of letting players add custom meshes into the cockpit.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

Rectus posted:

Or just make the game moddable and let the community sort it out, even if it's just a simple system of letting players add custom meshes into the cockpit.

Tentacle Penis joystick anyone?

A good tip for explorers out near the galactic core, at about -1000,-1000,26000 (ie a 1000 light years to the left and 1000 light years down from the centre) there is a huge mess of neutron stars and black holes. I tagged a good few dozen or so without even trying. Forgot to take a screenshot, but found a terraforming candidate orbiting a neutron star in a trinary system of 2 neutron stars around a black hole primary.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Rectus posted:

Here's a free license to print money, for which I'll only take a modest cut: make it so that when you activate your docking computer an inflatable autopilot expands in front of you and takes the controls.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Gromit posted:

Here's a free license to print money, for which I'll only take a modest cut: make it so that when you activate your docking computer an inflatable autopilot expands in front of you and takes the controls.

Fund it. $900 American British Pesos per ship (there is a precedent)

Ledhed
Feb 13, 2006
Doesn't believe in the letter a
Since a lot of what you do in this game amounts to space trucking, I'd like to see options for the kind of detritus that accumulates when people basically live in their car/ship: snack bags and wrappers, drink cans etc. that all shift around the cabin whenever you make dramatic changes in velocity or direction of travel. And the longer between dockings, the denser the amount of junk.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
So the expansion is ~$45 if you already own the game. I have a feeling I should get it at that price rather than wait for it to go up when the loyalty discount ends.

Is there a comprehensive list of what content is going/expected to go in the xpac?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Siets posted:

I don't know what's wrong with your wireless but Splashtop worked great every time I used it

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5kZHuEzzIk

-------------------------------

Firdaus system, Robert Aitken Station (orbiting a type 3 gas giant)

-------------------------------

Dev Update

quote:

Hi everyone,

It was good to meet some of you at EGX last week. I don’t go to many of the shows and was impressed by our stand there and pleased to see that it was always busy and with a long queue to see Elite Dangerous on the Vive! The dev panel with Sandy and David was a lot of fun as well and I hope you all enjoyed the announcements.

I’m back in the office now and there’s been a lot of progress for the upcoming Xbox One and CQC Update release. These releases will require some server downtime – we’ll announce the details nearer the time once everything is confirmed. Many of the teething issues with matchmaking should now be addressed, but please raise a bug if you continue to experience issues on either platform.

This week sees a new (and hopefully the last) gamma release for the PC CQC update. The release date is still expected to be October 6th, but we’ll confirm once all the details are in place.

Earlier in the year we updated the mission system to allow us to add more variety and mission related content and that process has progressed throughout the year and will continue into the Horizons season and beyond. There are a number of changes and additions coming in the 1.5 Ships update and so will be available to both season one and two players.

Missions can now be received in space, so they’re not always taken from the Bulletin Board and can be received from encounters with other ships. A variant on this are missions that can be triggered by scooping certain items in space. Timed assassination missions will be available from the Bulletin Boards, similar to the assassination missions in FFE you need to find your target at a certain time and place.

This timing mechanism is also available for other mission types where the mission target can only be found at a specific time. Alongside this, missions can now have multiple stages – this applies as sequences of the same mission type, so delivering goods to a station and then bring something else back. Note that this isn’t fully chained missions yet (which we define as different missions in a sequence), although these are planned as part of the Horizons season. A specific variant on this are tasks that have to be completed after a successful assassination.

A survival element to missions means that a player will have to survive specific encounters before being able to complete a specific mission, for example delivering secret information to a contact while being hunted. Another aspect for a player to be aware of are those that require them to be completed without being scanned – something I’m sure skilled smugglers will have an advantage with :-)

There are a couple of other elements too – but I’ll keep them as a surprise for you!

Thanks

Michael

https://community.elitedangerous.com/node/307

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Someone explain if this is a good game or not

• Locked thread