Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How would you go about balancing one of those retarded SSA Honda wheels that have four wheelnuts instead of a big hole in the middle? Like the VFR and cb1000r have got?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I think the official method is to buy $1000 worth of adapters for your $10,000 electronic balancing machine.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ok so lets say your resources are a man and a shed instead.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Put a sheep's legs through the holes and spin. The number of bleets it lets out coincide with the ounces or grams you need to add.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Ok so lets say your resources are a man and a shed instead.

Get a car brake disc with a matching bolt pattern, mount that to your balancing machine, feed some studs through the holes, balance that, then mount your bike wheel to the brake disc, bolt it down and do your balance.

It might not work, but it's a hell of a bodge!

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Slavvy posted:

How would you go about balancing one of those retarded SSA Honda wheels that have four wheelnuts instead of a big hole in the middle? Like the VFR and cb1000r have got?
If you have a Cycle Gear nearby, you can almost surely get them to balance it for free. I know my store used to do it all the time. They'll have all of the adapters and whatnot.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Slavvy posted:

well the vfr still has a hole in the middle

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

well the vfr still has a hole in the middle

Also the cb1000r looks like it has a dust cap in the middle, and a quick google search confirms

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Linedance posted:

Also the cb1000r looks like it has a dust cap in the middle, and a quick google search confirms

That iron pipe fits pretty loving well. That is not a horrible idea for lifting the bike.
Until you have to the take the wheel off.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
For a chain lube or wheel cleaning it's fine though. I try not to take the wheels off that often.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

clutchpuck posted:

For a chain lube or wheel cleaning it's fine though. I try not to take the wheels off that often.

Does the CBR1000 not have a center stand?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I can't think of a superbike that has one.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

I can't think of a superbike that has one.

I can't think of a good bike that does.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Linedance posted:

Yeah, we actually change tires and balance wheels like those all the time. There is a spot in the middle you can mount the balancer to.

Slavvy is NZ, right? Cycle Gear is US only.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Oh, I see. I've never actually looked at one up close but someone was asking me about buying a CB1000 and it got me curious. Thanks!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Scooter work! The GF's scooter died last month while she was riding up a rather steep hill (going up Beacon Hill just off the West Seattle bridge for you PNW peoples). She said it was going slow, as usual, and eventually just sputtered out.
The tank is full, so it didn't run out of gas, and the battery is charged. I checked the spark plug and the ceramic was busted, so I replaced it. Everything's attached properly, but the engine doesn't want to turn on. The starter kicks over just fine, but the engine just won't fire up. Suggestions?

Also, working on little Vespas with the engine in the frame is kind of a pain in the rear end. Who put the spark plug there and why?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

S1000XR has a center stand!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Pope Mobile posted:

Scooter work! The GF's scooter died last month while she was riding up a rather steep hill (going up Beacon Hill just off the West Seattle bridge for you PNW peoples). She said it was going slow, as usual, and eventually just sputtered out.
The tank is full, so it didn't run out of gas, and the battery is charged. I checked the spark plug and the ceramic was busted, so I replaced it. Everything's attached properly, but the engine doesn't want to turn on. The starter kicks over just fine, but the engine just won't fire up. Suggestions?

Also, working on little Vespas with the engine in the frame is kind of a pain in the rear end. Who put the spark plug there and why?
The spark plug was broken? That's unusual. Didn't crash or bottom out on a curb or something did it? Is everything else near the plug ok?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
She's crashed the scoot in the past, but it's been running fine. Everything around the plug seems fine (from what I can tell).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

S1000XR has a center stand!

Your point is?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Your point is?

Ducati riders clearly are incapable of identifying speed and class, duh.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

"Why bother with a center stand when you can have these rad looking paddock stands" instantly identifies the brand of bike and the type of riding a person has. Also, that person probably owns a cleaning product specifically for rubbing scratches out of bobbins after the annual paddock stand use.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I wrap a chain around my front wheel and lift the entire bike with my engine hoist. What does that say about me?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Ozmiander posted:

I wrap a chain around my front wheel and lift the entire bike with my engine hoist. What does that say about me?

You're not doing any front tire changes with that setup.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

SaNChEzZ posted:

You're not doing any front tire changes with that setup.

How so?

1. Hoist bike after front wheel.
2. Remove bike from front wheel and set aside.
3. Remove old front wheel from hoist, replace with new.
4. Attach bike to new front wheel.
5. Gently let bike down, ride with caution first 50 miles.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ozmiander posted:

:hf: 650 is currently levitating in the garage under my engine crane. Engine cranes rule for bike maintenance.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

goddamnedtwisto posted:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
For what it's worth, that's an option.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Still not seeing your point.

Ola posted:

"Why bother with a center stand when you can have these rad looking paddock stands" instantly identifies the brand of bike and the type of riding a person has. Also, that person probably owns a cleaning product specifically for rubbing scratches out of bobbins after the annual paddock stand use.

:smuggo:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Also the hyperstrada.

< hyperstrada.tif >

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Cute stand.

40cal box does it better though.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

cursedshitbox posted:

Cute stand.

40cal box does it better though.

40MM. Unless the military started shoot little babby grenades.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Ola posted:

How so?

1. Hoist bike after front wheel.
2. Remove bike from front wheel and set aside.
3. Remove old front wheel from hoist, replace with new.
4. Attach bike to new front wheel.
5. Gently let bike down, ride with caution first 50 miles.

Sounds like a BMW maintenance procedure. "Remove bike from front wheel and set aside."

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Ugh, yep.

The first step in any service on my wife's beemer is to remove the tank.

Spark plug replacement
1. Remove tank

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's nice that you kept your childhood Meccano set around for something, though others went one step further and built a whole bike out of it to run around the IOM, rather than just a flimsy looking stand.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Same as with paddock stands. It's something for garage queens and StADVbucks, not for swift, capable gentlemen who see to proper maintenance even if they are far from home.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The FJR and Concourse both have center stands and I consider them Good Bikes. Also while it's not as fast as an FZ1, my FZ6 is also a Good Bike.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
So on the FZR600R, my front sprocket was incredibly easy to remove once I bent the "lock washer" out of the way (the splined kind where you bend it along one face of the nut). I'm afraid that now the nut is going to back off as I can't quite get the washer to "lock" it no matter how much I get after it. :(

Am I going crazy?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

XYLOPAGUS posted:

So on the FZR600R, my front sprocket was incredibly easy to remove once I bent the "lock washer" out of the way (the splined kind where you bend it along one face of the nut). I'm afraid that now the nut is going to back off as I can't quite get the washer to "lock" it no matter how much I get after it. :(

Am I going crazy?

Locktite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
What's the best way to cope with hypothermia due to priapism induced anemia?:ohdear: