Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

leica posted:

Phone beat you to it about nine posts up dude.

I've bought shame to my family :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
I'm thinking of buying a nice low mile 2002 Miata.

Why does the US NB2 make 10 hp less than the Japanese version again?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chriskory posted:

They use the metric system.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Higher compression, spins up a bit more. The US also got the VTCS manifold which blows chunks.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Chriskory posted:

I'm thinking of buying a nice low mile 2002 Miata.

Most of it is a much better intake manifold.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've been troubleshooting an o2 signal modifier that doesn't seem to be doing anything, and now my radio buttons have apparently been randomized? The tape button turns it on, and the power button skips to the next track.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

I think I'm buying this

http://tinyurl.com/o8afo2m

It's not an incredible price, and it does not have a torsen, but it feels brand new and I don't like tan interiors enough to buy an LS.
Part of me thinks I won't notice the diff, the other part of me says I can swap it if I do.

If I were willing to fly and drive to VA I'd probably buy this

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=590743

Chriskory fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Sep 30, 2015

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Chriskory posted:

I think I'm buying this

http://tinyurl.com/o8afo2m

It's not an incredible price, and it does not have a torsen, but it feels brand new and I don't like tan interiors enough to buy an LS.
Part of me thinks I won't notice the diff, the other part of me says I can swap it if I do.

If I were willing to fly and drive to VA I'd probably buy this

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=590743

Well, at least both look like they're in good condition. You have a thing for white Miatas?

asmasm
Nov 26, 2013

powderific posted:

I've been troubleshooting an o2 signal modifier that doesn't seem to be doing anything, and now my radio buttons have apparently been randomized? The tape button turns it on, and the power button skips to the next track.

Your first mistake was using an o2 signal modifier?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why's that? I'm researching a standalone replacement EMS but it's a pretty big time and money investment.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Because relying on piggy backs is dumb and does stuff like tie the ECU harness to the radio.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It worked great on my last MSM. I get that it's not ideal but it seemed like an OK solution till I've got a reasonable plan for installing a megasquirt or whatever.

Edit: on that topic, I've been looking at a reverent or DIYAutotune megasquirt setup and would welcome and advice. Thinking MS2 enhanced or MS3 basic from reverent or the MegaSquirtPNP Pro from DIY.

powderific fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 1, 2015

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Depends what you're doing I guess. NA or turbo? Compare the features of both and see what you really need. I did a MS2 setup on my turbo NA and it was decent. I didn't take full advantage of all of it's features because I'm lazy. :v:

If you're in the same boat, why pay more for the extra crap you won't use? Also, if you're not going to do the tuning, ask your tuner what he prefers.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hey, my band aid isn't working; it's messing up something on a completely different harness.

But yeah, band aids just work, they're really simple and great, unlike those standalone options.

Anyone help me with my O2 sensor loving up my radio?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sorry to offend you with my band aid.

I don't think that the o2 modifier itself is causing the radio issue. I think cycling the power while I was working on the o2 modifier probably triggered whatever's going on.

Larrymer posted:

Depends what you're doing I guess. NA or turbo? Compare the features of both and see what you really need. I did a MS2 setup on my turbo NA and it was decent. I didn't take full advantage of all of it's features because I'm lazy. :v:

If you're in the same boat, why pay more for the extra crap you won't use? Also, if you're not going to do the tuning, ask your tuner what he prefers.

It's a MSM with the factory turbo. My plan was to do work on the car over time and I wanted to put off replacing the ECU for at least a year or so. Since the signal modifier helped a lot on my previous MSM for the 3 years I had it, I planned on doing it again to make the car drive a bit better in the meantime. Haven't found a local tuner yet but do plan on seeing what they're comfortable with. Ideally I'd go with megasquirt since so many people run them it seems like I'd have the most flexibility in the long run.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Did you install it yourself?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I assume I hosed something up somewhere but I can't figure it out. Vacuum is definitely plumbed in correctly. Wiring seems right and has continuity but I'm thinking I might redo it anyway in case something's loose.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
3-way butt connectors?
:quagmire:

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 1, 2015

asmasm
Nov 26, 2013

powderific posted:

Yeah, I assume I hosed something up somewhere but I can't figure it out. Vacuum is definitely plumbed in correctly. Wiring seems right and has continuity but I'm thinking I might redo it anyway in case something's loose.

What are you crimping with? This crimper is great for the money:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002STTTI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's currently crimped with a lovely pliers style crimper and the process was annoying enough that I bought a ratcheting one like that in case I had to do it over again.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

I have a miata again, it's very nice to have a miata again

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Been watching random ND review videos. The body roll is great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC4xAArXCTY&t=225s

Clearly using any more metal for the springs or putting any more gas in the struts would have violated the gram strategy.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I'm replacing the stereo (oldgoon term) and speakers in my 90. Looking for suggestions for a deck that doesn't look horribly out of place in an NA, and also isn't too expensive (~$100). While I'm replacing the speakers I'm going to do a little sound deadening. Peel n Seal work well enough? Someone posted a link to a door deadening kit a while back, but I can't find it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Clearly using any more metal for the springs or putting any more gas in the struts would have violated the gram strategy.

It probably won't be difficult to fix, bigger sway bars will probably flatten it out pretty good.

And unless you're tracking it, no real reason to go beyond that if the body roll bothers you. Although I'd like to see how it responds with a good set of coilovers and a decent set of tires.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
I just got my 90 back on the road after a long hiatus and the deck that was installed by the PO is out. It's a pioneer with a 1/8" input, CD, and removable face. It worked well enough when I first got it, no need for it now. If you're interest I'd send it your way for cheap. It's in there with a mounting bracket and cubby. PM if there's interest.
Edit: RE: Gorsons post

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Gorson posted:

I'm replacing the stereo (oldgoon term) and speakers in my 90. Looking for suggestions for a deck that doesn't look horribly out of place in an NA, and also isn't too expensive (~$100). While I'm replacing the speakers I'm going to do a little sound deadening. Peel n Seal work well enough? Someone posted a link to a door deadening kit a while back, but I can't find it.

http://www.raamaudio.com/pages/How%252dTo.html

I just put a cheap Pioneer with pre outs in mine, think it was 80 bux or so. All that matters is the amp and speakers really anyway. You don't want anything too flashy for a deck in a Miata, stealth is the key for any convertible really.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
http://www.amazon.com/Blaupunkt-Toronto-Receiver-Control-Bluetooth/dp/B008FYFBVG

I got this. Doesn't look too flashy, basically right out of the early 90s. Does Bluetooth and USB. No clue how the built in amplifier is, because I have a real amp.

Menu system is maddening at times though.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Bud posted:

I just got my 90 back on the road after a long hiatus and the deck that was installed by the PO is out. It's a pioneer with a 1/8" input, CD, and removable face. It worked well enough when I first got it, no need for it now. If you're interest I'd send it your way for cheap. It's in there with a mounting bracket and cubby. PM if there's interest.
Edit: RE: Gorsons post

PM'd!

leica posted:

http://www.raamaudio.com/pages/How%252dTo.html

I just put a cheap Pioneer with pre outs in mine, think it was 80 bux or so. All that matters is the amp and speakers really anyway. You don't want anything too flashy for a deck in a Miata, stealth is the key for any convertible really.

Great link, thanks!

Laranzu posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Blaupunkt-Toronto-Receiver-Control-Bluetooth/dp/B008FYFBVG

I got this. Doesn't look too flashy, basically right out of the early 90s. Does Bluetooth and USB. No clue how the built in amplifier is, because I have a real amp.

Menu system is maddening at times though.

That looks good and I've had luck with Blau in the past. Is the menu system bad for every task, or just the ones you don't have to mess with often?

e: I should add that I despise touch controls.

Gorson fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 2, 2015

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Gorson posted:

PM'd!

Great link, thanks!

That looks good and I've had luck with Blau in the past. Is the menu system bad for every task, or just the ones you don't have to mess with often?

e: I should add that I despise touch controls.

Once you have your phone paired and sound options set up its not too bad. Source selection has its own button. Anything deeper can get stupid. There are equalizer settings but adjusting them is really dumb.

I had to run a switch for the power antenna, because the unit puts it up whenever its powered on. The previous (busted up) Alpine only put it up when the radio source was active.

FYI Blaupunkt isn't really Blaupunkt anymore. Its a 100% managed brand name with all production in China.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Laranzu posted:

FYI Blaupunkt isn't really Blaupunkt anymore. Its a 100% managed brand name with all production in China.

Maopunkt. :v:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I have two functional windows again. :toot:

And now we're supposed to have 3 straight days of rain. Thanks Obama Joaquin.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Hahah holy poo poo I just tried to use a drive-up ATM in a Miata for the first time. I had to put the top down and stand up to reach the screen.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Drive-thru anything can be a pain. Mine is lowered (not slammed) and has the hard top bolted on, I don't do drive-thrus any more. But yeah, ATMs have to be the worst, for almost any car really.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Got the Miata back, there really wasn't anything wrong with it in terms of emissions; the dude at the testing station who looks retarded apparently is.

The CR-V needed a little work, and of course it has to be driven for a while to get the system ready. My mechanic, who is this cool Russian dude, was mentioning how different cars take different amounts of time/mileage to get back into a ready state, and how one car might need 300 miles, but "Volkswagens are ready right away." He didn't seem to notice how or why I was smirking at that statement. :smugdog: Of course Volkswagens are ready to "pass" their emissions tests right away, because of course they are.... :rolleyes:

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Work may be taking me away from the SF Bay Area in the next few months, and despite living 10 minutes from Infineon and a reasonable drive from Laguna Seca, I haven't driven either. I'd like to remedy that before I go, but my '01 NB is completely stock.

I'm not trying to turn my DD fully into a track car, just one that will be safe on one or two track days before I try and sell it. Brakes and tires are pretty new, and I probably won't even really push that hard (I used to do a some SCCA stuff, so I've got a decent idea how to conduct myself on the track).

What's the general recommendation for roll bars, and is there a good shop (preferably in the Marin/Sonoma area) that could do it? What kind of cost would I be looking at?

Lastly, I'm aware I'll be catching a ton of poo poo at the track for bringing an automatic, but it's either that or my wife's Prius, so I'll manage. Any other advice would be welcome!

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
My 97 just got a CEL light related to EGR, codes P0400 and P0404. Nothing wrong with the car while driving, no idle or hesitation problems. I'm guessing that pulling the EGR valve and giving it a good clean will fix it. How then should I clean the passage into the intake manifold? Am I cool just spraying TB cleaner into it without removing it from the car? Also, can I clean the throttle body the same way? I'm hoping I can get away with not having to remove anything besides the EGR valve to fix this light.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just replace the EGR valve with another one, the sensors on them gently caress up or something. Or just remove the CEL bulb if it's running fine. Most 97's have the bullshit "random misfire" code anyway. I took mine out because of it along with the airbag bulb :v:

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
Just parked my Miata for the winter (it's in a barn at a friends parents place an hour from where I live). While it's far from a snowy mess here yet, it's getting too cold here to run around with the top down, winter would slowly destroy it, and it doesn't hold my hockey gear. This is my first Miata that I just got in April and it has been an awesome season. Will seriously miss it until spring.

That place gets cold, but it's dry. I just put on a set of crappy leftover wheels, took the battery out (will keep it indoors and charged up), no parking brake, and put a cover over it. Has decent antifreeze. I'll be there every now and then (our 24hr-lemons car is kept there) and can make sure it's free from disaster/rodents/hobos. Is there anything else I should do before winter that can't just as well be done in spring?

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

leica posted:

Just replace the EGR valve with another one, the sensors on them gently caress up or something. Or just remove the CEL bulb if it's running fine. Most 97's have the bullshit "random misfire" code anyway. I took mine out because of it along with the airbag bulb :v:

Yeah I'll replace it if cleaning doesn't help. And unfortunately I'm in California so I can't just ignore the light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

ionn posted:

Just parked my Miata for the winter (it's in a barn at a friends parents place an hour from where I live). While it's far from a snowy mess here yet, it's getting too cold here to run around with the top down, winter would slowly destroy it, and it doesn't hold my hockey gear. This is my first Miata that I just got in April and it has been an awesome season. Will seriously miss it until spring.

That place gets cold, but it's dry. I just put on a set of crappy leftover wheels, took the battery out (will keep it indoors and charged up), no parking brake, and put a cover over it. Has decent antifreeze. I'll be there every now and then (our 24hr-lemons car is kept there) and can make sure it's free from disaster/rodents/hobos. Is there anything else I should do before winter that can't just as well be done in spring?

This is the procedure I posted a while back:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2651683&userid=118742&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post448954997