Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I'm still saltier than that mars water though about ubisoft's products ever since lockdown. gently caress Ubisoft. I wrote an effortpost on their forums in 2006 warning them that they were straying from what made r6 good. I remember being reassured that they valued my input and poo poo. I was young and naive. Then they shat out vegas with its insanely high sys reqs that even today are loving laughable. I still have nerd nightmares about those youtube videos of vegas 1&2 MLG teenagers praising the game as a true rainbow six title. It's like nerd ptsd or something, akin to the star trek fans' reactions to the jj abrams poo poo. I'm so mad.

Edit- also insurgency is closer to swat 5 than this tbh

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Oct 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

OctaMurk posted:

Drones pro-tip: When you hold X to spot people in tells them they have been spotted. Do not spot people during the initial drone part of the game or you'll just get your drone killed and the people will move away from where you spotted them anyways.
Actually it appears that spotting people during the initial drone part of the game tells your team what class they're playing, which can be useful. Also while people are preoccupied with putting up defenses is your best chance to do it without being seen immediately. But yeah, once you've spotted a couple people and/or the bomb location, just get out and roll somewhere else to save your drone for later.

I really wish the drone spotting marked gadgets like the active defense and jammers and such.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

Way more words that I care to write about this game but this is spot on. I don't care for competitive so even if they had done it right I couldn't care less but this is CS meets battlefield 4 and it doesn't work. It's fun, but after a month it'll be over.

Hardline was more enjoyable (albeit different) and it died SUPER fast on PC.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I only ever play terrorist hunt with a couple of friends and have done since the launch of the first R6 Vegas so Im super happy with this game so far. The lack of customisation is a shame though.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I don't really get the comparisons to arcade shooters. Yeah, it is a bit faster paced than the other Rainbow games, but my concept of arcade shooters involves diving down a stairway with a magnum in each hand, not bashing a hole in a wall and shooting passersby

E. I mean, it is defiantly not Raven Shield, that is for sure, but still

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I think the rounds are way too short and the prep-up time is way too long. that coupled with the insanely short TTK as well as less than perfect netcode and ping which makes this game basically Alt Tab Simulator With Occasional Gunplay

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
I think the actual round time is about right, but the pre-planning phase could do with losing a few seconds, its way too easy to really set up your drones and find stuff along with turtleing up on the defenses, not having custom lobbies it's going to suck not being able to tweak these values to see whats more fun.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Orv posted:

Everyone is spawned on the map at the start, but ambushers which are the guys in the Rogue Spear box art hoodies, and bombers will move outside to flank you once you start making noise. There can also be more than two bombers.

From a few pages back, but enemies actually will spawn outside on THunt shortly after things go loud, provided you aren't doing lone wolf. I've literally seen them appear out of thin air. I think about 6 or 7 will usually spawn in the perimeter from near all the player entrance options. Usually it's the skinny looking dudes, I can't recall what their ingame name is but they get rifles. They'll even move in a perfect single file if they all spawn from the same entrance point. My buds and I have learned that once any barricades are broken, get the gently caress indoors just so you don't get blasted from behind.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Dezztroy posted:

Pulse is still pretty good as long as you're communicating with your team. Knowing exactly where and how many people are behind a wall can be helpful. Especially if it's a wall you can shoot through!

Some of the unique gadgets are kinda bad though, especially IQ's canner. C4 and other defensive gadgets make enough noise/light that they're easy to spot anyways.

I specifically didn't even buy Pulse because I've rarely been on a defending team and had him available, he seems to get taken pretty fast, and I'd rather not force someone to use Recruit because I took the only class they had or the one they prefer to play. Also I played him in the Alpha and I don't like the UMP-45 as much as... well, any other SMG or carbine available to the defenders.

Smoke is, in my opinion, by far one of the most powerful defenders and probably one of the only real ways to counter a team full of shield players at the moment, he's probably my favorite to play. Three remote detonated gas charges and a nitro cell and you can get kills without even trying or at least temporarily lock them out of a certain route after doing a bit of damage. Also, the smoke charges and nitro cells might stand out beeping red most of the time, but if you put them against a bomb you barely notice them at all. Another fantastic place if you're playing on the killhouse map is against the side of the staircase leading up when you're on the bottom floor.

Also please make the MP5 not tan. I mean, we're not in the desert.

Love Stole the Day posted:

Squad will be the best realistic shooter we're going to get for awhile, I imagine. It's just on a much larger scale than most others.

Dvsilverwing fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 1, 2015

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

I'm still saltier than that mars water though about ubisoft's products ever since lockdown. gently caress Ubisoft. I wrote an effortpost on their forums in 2006 warning them that they were straying from what made r6 good. I remember being reassured that they valued my input and poo poo. I was young and naive. Then they shat out vegas with its insanely high sys reqs that even today are loving laughable. I still have nerd nightmares about those youtube videos of vegas 1&2 MLG teenagers praising the game as a true rainbow six title. It's like nerd ptsd or something, akin to the star trek fans' reactions to the jj abrams poo poo. I'm so mad.

Lockdown! THAT was the game I couldn't think of that was a piece of poo poo.

I guess a better way of rephrasing my opinion on Siege is that it's one of the better games in the series since Rainbow Six 3, but it's nowhere near as good as that, let alone Rogue Spear or the original. It feels nothing like Battlefield, though I can see the comparisons to CS. It's promising for what it is (hopefully the matchmaking and easy-mode shields are fixed even though this is a beta but what the hell does beta even mean anymore?), but my biggest concern are if people on consoles are even going to be playing this 6 months from release.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I'm kind of relying on the whole "goon opinion != general opinion" thing to keep at least some population but even redditors aren't jumping on this game, which makes me nervous

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."
Looks like they extended the beta by 3 days and sent out friend codes. Anyone have one for PS4 or Xbone they wouldn't mind PMing me? :3

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Welp, it was fun while it lasted. Servers are taking a huge dump right now, if you manage to get in game you get a ubi connect lost after a few minutes at best.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
I have a feeling this game is going to lose to Due Process.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Fetterkey posted:

I have a feeling this game is going to lose to Due Process.

Indie devs keep trying to do SWAT and they keep putting out utter garbage, so I won't hope for too much.

Plus that minecraft look, ick

VVV Is it different? I was looking at screenshots, not videos, I may be wrong

And it is possible for games with that style to be good, yes, but the overwhelming number of devs using it seem to do so just because they are lazy. So many clones...

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 1, 2015

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Did you even watch the trailer on their front page?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Muh graphics. :reddit:

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
The old Due Process graphics were placeholders, this is the new style. So yeah, pixely, but definitely not Minecraft, and definitely not lazy.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Fetterkey posted:

The old Due Process graphics were placeholders, this is the new style. So yeah, pixely, but definitely not Minecraft, and definitely not lazy.

I hope someday to be as ripped as those criminals

Looks cool though, hopefully it is good. We really have a surprisingly small amount of cop games

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Pretty sure this is going to be a t hunt only discount buy for me. My online experience has been mostly getting wrecked from seemingly nowhere, only to have the kill cam be a guys face pressed a against a tiny hole in the wall with his gun clipping through below.

E; to say nothing of how loving terrible uplay is.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Great Beer posted:

E; to say nothing of how loving terrible uplay is.

I wonder how much extra money they'd make or lose if they offered a non-Uplay DRM version through Steam?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Dvsilverwing posted:

I wonder how much extra money they'd make or lose if they offered a non-Uplay DRM version through Steam?

Seeing that Uplay is a one-executable argument for piracy, probably a lot more money

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wlvYh0h63k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiDtnePSBdU

Watching the announcement trailer and 2014 gameplay demo...

- Originally the roof was accessible and breachable
- You could breach any floor, not just trap doors
- You could still vote on the spawn area during the drone phase
- Drones were much smaller
- Only 3 classes: Assaulter, Breacher, Pointman - instead of the MOBA character system
- The playable area for the house map originally included a construction site across the street
- Garage area on the house map originally had an open doorway instead of one blocked by a magic shelf
- Flashbangs destroy walls too
- Reinforced walls existed but no sign of thermite charges to counter them
- Shield users originally held their pistol in the center
- Quadcopter/flying drones covering the exterior existed, but do not appear to be user flyable, just on a set path
- Overall look is fairly desaturated and much less colorful
- Hostage rescue mode that I guess is still in the game but not the beta?

Dvsilverwing posted:

I assume you mean non-Uplay-based multiplayer?

EDIT: speaking of which, their servers are down yet again

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 2, 2015

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
You can still vote on spawn during the prep phase. Not being able to breach roofs and floors anymore is a shame, but I get that it's probably easier to balance this way.

Also holy poo poo, they only gave you three magazines worth of ammo in that early build. That's crazy.

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 2, 2015

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Seeing that Uplay is a one-executable argument for piracy, probably a lot more money

I wonder what sales for Battlefield Bad Company 2 compared to Battlefield 3 on PC look like, I think that was the first game which EA really used to shove Origin down our throats. Of course, Origin is a much more polished product than Uplay but it's still worthless compared to Steam.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
They really give you a fuckload of ammo currently. For something that feels like it should be more tactical, 3 mags would probably encourage more cautious play.

edit: Origin by itself is honestly not bad at all. What really sucks is the combination of origin and battlelog.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

RosaParksOfDip posted:

They really give you a fuckload of ammo currently. For something that feels like it should be more tactical, 3 mags would probably encourage more cautious play.

edit: Origin by itself is honestly not bad at all. What really sucks is the combination of origin and battlelog.

Yeah but three mags is kinda pointless, most vests carry 8x30rds or 12.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

RosaParksOfDip posted:

You're probably right, but THunting as a shield I feel like I need 60+ rounds to kill just 10 dudes between how much damage they can take on non-headshots and missing shots while hipfiring even with a laser.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
I guess it should also be noted that barricades are way sturdier now than they were in that gameplay reveal. A single round, wether it be .45ACP or 5.56 took out a big chunk.

Only having 3 mags for your primary would suck though, shooting through walls is the best part of the game! I also wouldn't say they give you a shitload of ammo, defenders only get 5 spare mags for MP5s, for example.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

RosaParksOfDip posted:

There's no way to pick up guns, so it kind of makes sense to give you a bunch. Yes t-Hunt gives you supplies but there are way more enemies, and against other players it's a lovely mechanic.

Origin is not completely awful, but steam does everything better (which obviously includes a way bigger library) so I don't run origin except when I want to play an actual EA game.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Oh yeah, definitely only ever launch origin for when I'm going to play an Origin exclusive game, and for that purpose it functions perfectly fine. And uplay doesn't bother me that much either. I actually prefer launching uplay separately rather than launching the game through steam, which launches uplay and then you launch the game, which it did for one of the splinter cell games. That was incredibly annoying.

Also, my feelings on the mag size are probably more than slightly coloured by my experiences playing CS. In my head it's basically the gold standard for how much ammo you should have since if you're careless with your ammo, you can and will run dry. In this, playing THunt and being spammy with the rifles, I've never clicked dry. And I've played enough to hit rank 15, so I didn't play like, two matches and call it a day. I think it's the fact that most enemies go down pretty quick so as long as you don't mag dump at every enemy you see, you're basically set.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Servers are "back up" supposedly. Gonna play on ps4, eljebus0 if anyone wants to join me!

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I really don't like how they replaced doors with destructible wooden planks loving everywhere.

I also really don't like that when you press to select your flashbang you automatically throw it out, CoD style. I've flashed teammates so many god drat times on entry. This is not a Rainbow Six game at all.

edit-- However I don't want to be 100% toxic about this, so I will make one compliment: they did a good job making the framerate consistently steady both in the menus and during actual gameplay.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 2, 2015

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

I really don't like how they replaced doors with destructible wooden planks loving everywhere.

I also really don't like that when you press to select your flashbang you automatically throw it out, CoD style. I've flashed teammates so many god drat times on entry. This is not a Rainbow Six game at all.

If you hit the grenade key by accident, just hold it and switch weapons, it'll put it away without tossing it. You don't throw until you release the key.

Also selecting grenades as a weapon to toss was always clunky and bad, this is a good change.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

Also selecting grenades as a weapon to toss was always clunky and bad, this is a good change.

:shepicide: this triggers me

edit-- takedown red sabre is a better Rainbow Six game than this

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 2, 2015

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Cardboard Box A posted:

- Shield users originally held their pistol in the center

- Hostage rescue mode that I guess is still in the game but not the beta?

I assume you mean non-Uplay-based multiplayer?

Both of those things were in the alpha, but changed for the beta. I guess they wanted to get feedback on different things than the alpha, because they also took off the plane map which I quite liked.

And yes, if you buy through Steam, launch the game through Steam, no Uplay required. I know people that skipped on Far Cry 4 specifically to avoid Uplay. I don't hate Uplay that much even though it's kind of a nuisance to deal with, but a lot of people absolutely hate it.

We don't mention that name anymore.

Edit: So what level is everyone? I'm at 22 but haven't played T-Hunt at all yet and haven't really played since the technical test due to not wanting to deal with the MM for now.

Dvsilverwing fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 2, 2015

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I think it's because A. it's Ubisoft and B. people seem to have gotten it into their heads that Origin and Uplay actively gently caress around looking at the contents of and processes on your computer for nefarious purposes. Or at least I know that was a thing people were saying about Origin a while ago.

Orv
May 4, 2011

You should be dragged out and shot.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Dvsilverwing posted:

Both of those things were in the alpha, but changed for the beta. I guess they wanted to get feedback on different things than the alpha, because they also took off the plane map which I quite liked.

And yes, if you buy through Steam, launch the game through Steam, no Uplay required. I know people that skipped on Far Cry 4 specifically to avoid Uplay. I don't hate Uplay that much even though it's kind of a nuisance to deal with, but a lot of people absolutely hate it.

Uh, it still launches through Uplay even when you've got it on Steam. It just exits it after you're done playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Dezztroy posted:

Uh, it still launches through Uplay even when you've got it on Steam. It just exits it after you're done playing.

Yes, I'm aware. Read prior posts for context on what I said.

• Locked thread