Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

qirex posted:

I guess the verge's advertorial contract with microsoft specifies use of terms like "transparent"
so is the verge the equivalent to that guy in ads who purposely does a thing badly and then says "how am i going to fix this!!"

*salesman walks in* "i have just the tool you need!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

lol I had no idea you couldn't even use Netflix when live was down, holy poo poo

Has it even been a year since they stopped requiring you to have a paid Xbox Live Gold membership for Netflix etc. and even loving Internet Explorer to even work? And yes, people were paying $60 a year just so their $8 a month for Netflix would be usable (not gaming online at all).

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

qirex posted:

I so wish they'd gone through with the original always-online plan

what's the side effect of stockholm syndrome where you regret not being hit more?

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

PleasureKevin posted:

what's the side effect of stockholm syndrome where you regret not being hit more?

blackened berry syndrome

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
blue stymie was right, windows 10 is pretty awesome.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Phoenixan posted:

so is the verge the equivalent to that guy in ads who purposely does a thing badly and then says "how am i going to fix this!!"

*salesman walks in* "i have just the tool you need!!"
MS "yes, this stupid thing we did was stupid and it only took us 7 years to admit it"
Verge "whoa what refreshing honesty, this looks like just the kind of brand that males age 16-34 would like to hang out with"

PleasureKevin posted:

I meant for my own amusement but there's still people crying over it

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

theultimo posted:

Oh and
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/10/i-am-calling-you-from-windows-a-tech-support-scammer-dials-ars-technica/

I wish I got a call from these scammers, I would love for them to try to make a VPN tunnel connection to dod ip addressees

I get like 2 of these a week. it gets not fun afer the 3rd time or so.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

once you tell them you have to disclose that you are recording all calls per state of california consent laws they stop for a few weeks but eventually they creep back up.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
yeah it's at the point where i don't even respond. i just hear the "your pc is reporting intermittent errors" form someone with an indian accent and hang up

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
tell them to hold on and put the phone down
every second wasted is another second they can't spend on a grandparent

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

lol I had no idea you couldn't even use Netflix when live was down, holy poo poo

at this point its purely for their parental controls and is still completely idiotic

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

i asked one of those dudes what company makes windows and he responded "windows"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sudo Echo posted:

i asked one of those dudes what company makes windows and he responded "windows"

explains why RIM rebranded themselves

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

adblock plus has had "acceptable ads" for several years now. they've been taking money from advertisers for just slightly less time than that

i don't know why people are only noticing this now, or why anyone cares

there is a highly visible checkbox that says "gently caress your acceptable ads block everything" and it does what it says

theultimo posted:

In the fine print is the best, he's selling it to the ad services

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
just found out that my former job still has ~$2000 in lenovo thinkpad tablets and accessories (fannypack printers, lol) gathering dust in the basement because no one in the company has figured out how to make the java-based POS/inventory system start up in under 20 minutes

for as hard as the company sucks apple's dick, no one thought to use ipads and a square reader.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the dispensary i go to uses ipads with square. last time their wifi was hosed up and I had to resist the nerdly urge to grab the ipad and show the guy how to reconnect it to the network

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
this same business almost ordered a second netbook because they thought the wireless on the first one was broken. turns out the manager hit the keyboard toggle for the wireless and can't troubleshoot his way out of a wet paper bag :downs:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Tanith posted:

this same business almost ordered a second netbook because they thought the wireless on the first one was broken. turns out the manager hit the keyboard toggle for the wireless and can't troubleshoot his way out of a wet paper bag :downs:

hp's invention of 'tap on this part of the touchpad to disable the touchpad' is the tool of the devil, so many calls

so many calls

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Tanith posted:

keyboard toggle for the wireless

lmao theres a keyboard toggle for turning off wifi. thats ridiculous and its not the user's fault that something so idiotic and confusing exists

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Last Chance posted:

lmao theres a keyboard toggle for turning off wifi. thats ridiculous and its not the user's fault that something so idiotic and confusing exists

there's a LED right by the button that is blue when on, orange when off, and the dude's not colorblind

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

bad design decisions made by pc manufacturers? well I never!

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Thanks Ants posted:

bad design decisions made by pc manufacturers? well I never!

that's more like lenovo loving with their keyboard layout such that you can't change the volume one-handed.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
The fn+fx keys are the worst thing ever created

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fujitsu notebooks used to put the wifi switch on the back of the notebook by the AC port. it was quite common to accidentally flip this switch when plugging in the laptop and it was invisible when trying to troubleshoot the problem

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Tanith posted:

there's a LED right by the button that is blue when on, orange when off
lmao

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

theultimo posted:

As in things that are media keys but magically turn into function keys when you press the function button (or some other modifier, if the manufacturer is only mostly misanthropic)?

Well, given the kind of computer learning we had, of course we're going to think that, and we're not far wrong to. On the other hand, imagine hundreds/thousands of millions of people, growing up with or who are just getting into what the year 2015 calls computers, who may never use a computer with function keys at all, even those kind you described.

And maybe we shouldn't ask a LISP terminal user about keyboards.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

shadow puppet of a posted:

hp's invention of 'tap on this part of the touchpad to disable the touchpad' is the tool of the devil, so many calls

so many calls

what

ed : nvrmind, my brain swapped the second mention of "touchpad" for "wireless"

this is HP after all, silly poo poo like thatis to be expected

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

trackpad disabling: because rejecting unwanted inputs is tough guys :qq:

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
microsoft wasting money again

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10/02/microsoft-buys-havok-from-intel

(barely anyone uses havok now)

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
so i guess "cloud physics" is something a manager responded positively to

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Siljmonster posted:

microsoft wasting money again

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10/02/microsoft-buys-havok-from-intel

(barely anyone uses havok now)

wouldn't you need it for amd cards w/out PhysX?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

lol physx still doesn't use directcompute?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk? PhysX is an NVidia thing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
altho I haven't seen a game w/out havok in the credits in a while.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
i will put money down that they'll changae it so you can only use havoc on windows or other MS platforms going forward

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
they bought it for crackdown 3 since they cant figure out cloud computing

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

theultimo posted:

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
its really cool and good when theres a bios setting for wifi, a keyboard setting for wifi, and a windows setting for wifi

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Times I have actually needed to turn off wifi: 0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Tanith posted:

just found out that my former job still has ~$2000 in lenovo thinkpad tablets and accessories (fannypack printers, lol) gathering dust in the basement because no one in the company has figured out how to make the java-based POS/inventory system start up in under 20 minutes

for as hard as the company sucks apple's dick, no one thought to use ipads and a square reader.

oh poo poo, the thinkpad tablet takes me back

with android and a stylus and poo poo

• Locked thread