Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Negligent posted:

I think that wink was meant to to say "it's okay, no need to terminate the call" rather than what you're reading into it which seems to be something like a knowing snigger between two men?

I have done shits less dense than you, and I mostly eat red meat, nuts and codeine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

Starshark posted:

For a start I'm pretty sure there was a mass shooting where eight people were killed, it's just it was a father blowing his family away. Might have that wrong, but I think 'no mass shootings since' is a long bow to draw.

There hasn't been a random mass shooting in Australia since Port Arthur (Monash shooting had 2 deaths). You are right that father did kill himself and his family (5 people) with a gun and that was only a year ago. So if you include that, there was an 18 year gap, when before Port Arthur, random mass shootings were happening every couple of years.

I have pretty strong feelings about our gun laws and I think the American ones are atrocious. I actually did my honours thesis on differences between Australian and American personalities, as we use their norms for psychometric testing. One of the things I found, which I believe feeds into there gun problems is that Americans are believers whereas Australians are doubters.

A person with a gun who 100% believes they are right is a very dangerous person.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, the new border force people are way worse than the old ones. There's not only the extra security check (sounds like Anidav had to go through it too) which is literally exactly the same as the first security check except the staff are douchier. The presence of dogs sniffing luggage is way higher, the number of signs warning you not to be a terrorist and other poo poo has at least doubled, no one ever has a smile on their face and the whole general feel of the place is way more what you'd expect going into like America or something.

I didn't take any pictures because I was pretty sure I was going to be shot.

Gorilla Salad posted:

This is why I always send all my stuff by courier, especially computers, drives and thumbsticks. It's faster and cheaper and a million times less of a hassle than dealing with the airports. If you're staying at a hotel, call them first to see if they're okay with holding your bags before you arrive or send them to your work.

I'll take one small carry-on briefcase and I'm set.
I like working in airports, so I always take my laptop. Drives and thumb drives I just leave in my purse and they never care.

Serrath posted:

Some people are born without the enzyme CYP2D6 which converts codeine into morphine, without which the medication stays functionally inert. Fun fact, recent research has also shown us that <too much> CYP2D6 in the liver can render codeine ineffective because it breaks the medication down too fast to be effective
This is interesting, whenever I go to the dentist it always takes 4-5 times the regular amount of whatever the freezing gel they use is before my mouth actually loses feeling. Would that be the same reason?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Freudian Slip posted:

One of the things I found, which I believe feeds into there gun problems is that Americans are believers whereas Australians are doubters.

I'm not sure I believe that.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
The second amendment is a cautionary tale about entrenched bills of rights.

The one aspect I would want from US politics is the willingness of Congressmen and Senators to cross the floor.

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

gays, fatties and women are the main funny things in life. Fuck those lefty tumblrfuck fags, I'll laugh at poofs and abbos if I want to
Hey everybody, hopefully you're all gearing up for a great weekend. Just thought i'd plug a couple of new episodes of my podcast that may be of interest to all those who care about this great land and our future and want the Sheeple to WAKE uP!

The Conez and Doh Show: Now on Souncloud and Itunes

https://soundcloud.com/user-456894491

Issues discussed include Adam Goodes and racism in sports, the psychological roots of transgender politics, the first moments of White Australia and it's orgy at Sydney Cove, Corey 'Party Boy' Worthington, Muslims, objectification, Wagner vs the Black Eyed Peas, my new 'Aussie Freedom Party' dream analysis, gaining respect through sexual artistry, the empowering feminism of Thatcher and Rhonda Roussey, drug policy and Kerry Packer's opinion of Malcolm Turnbull.

Semper Fi Auspol!

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

To tie together a few things, have a read of an article Abbott wrote about his time in the seminary, and why he left (it was because the Church kept trying to help people)

Nice find! Once again he made my skin crawl the way he talks about the church as She. He really is a creep, isn't he?

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Amoeba102 posted:

I'm not sure I believe that.

Generally I think psychometric testing is bunk. But the difference was really large on the "Openess to experience" scale between the two groups. Maybe doubters is a bad way of putting it, but being open to new ideas Vs rigidly accepting your current beliefs/ideas.

Disclaimer, this was a while ago, around 2001-2, so maybe we have changed since then?

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

HookShot posted:

This is interesting, whenever I go to the dentist it always takes 4-5 times the regular amount of whatever the freezing gel they use is before my mouth actually loses feeling. Would that be the same reason?

Probably not, most topical gels like that don't enter circulation and don't need to be metabolised in the liver, they get taken up by whatever cells they're applied to and, when taken up by free nerve endings in the mouth, depolarize the cell causing it to be unable to be stimulated and transmit signals. I don't know why you'd need more except to say there's probably some anatomical variation; you might have more nerve endings or the endings present have a lower threshold for depolarizing.

4-5 times is a lot, though; unless your dentist is using a different drug than a sodium channel blocker, they can get pretty dangerous if you absorb enough through a surface area that it enters your circulation including arrhythmias

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

My jokes never seem to get rated well.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Ian Winthorpe III posted:

Hey everybody, hopefully you're all gearing up for a great weekend. Just thought i'd plug a couple of new episodes of my podcast that may be of interest to all those who care about this great land and our future and want the Sheeple to WAKE uP!

The Conez and Doh Show: Now on Souncloud and Itunes

https://soundcloud.com/user-456894491

Issues discussed include Adam Goodes and racism in sports, the psychological roots of transgender politics, the first moments of White Australia and it's orgy at Sydney Cove, Corey 'Party Boy' Worthington, Muslims, objectification, Wagner vs the Black Eyed Peas, my new 'Aussie Freedom Party' dream analysis, gaining respect through sexual artistry, the empowering feminism of Thatcher and Rhonda Roussey, drug policy and Kerry Packer's opinion of Malcolm Turnbull.

Semper Fi Auspol!

Which one is you, again?

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

gays, fatties and women are the main funny things in life. Fuck those lefty tumblrfuck fags, I'll laugh at poofs and abbos if I want to

Amethyst posted:

Which one is you, again?

Conez, the one with the lispier voice.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Amoeba102 posted:

I liked your joke.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Freudian Slip posted:

There hasn't been a random mass shooting in Australia since Port Arthur (Monash shooting had 2 deaths).

Important to note that the Monash shooting only ended early because some other students and a professor tackled the guy. He was more heavily armed than the Virginia Tech shooter. If it wasn't for their bravery we might have easily had another Port Arthur.

Personally I find it a bit disingenuous that the US keeps looking at gun reform through the prism of mass shootings. The vast majority of gun deaths in America are not caused by mass shootings - they're caused by domestic violence, gang disputes, regular old fights, etc. People dying in their ones and twos, not by the hand of a spree killer. Obviously those are the events that grab the headlines, but it does feel a bit dumb. You're still going to have mass shootings sometimes no matter how strict the gun laws (i.e. Norway, what Monash could have been) and the real beneficiaries of amended US gun laws would be the thousands of people who would potentially have been murdered by their angry neighbour or shot on a Baltimore street corner in a black neighbourhood, etc.

Negligent posted:

The one aspect I would want from US politics is the willingness of Congressmen and Senators to cross the floor.

This happens quite a lot under the Westminster system in the UK. Not sure why it doesn't in Australia - possibly because we're a far more homogeneous country and "local representation" isn't as big a part of being an MP.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

freebooter posted:

This happens quite a lot under the Westminster system in the UK. Not sure why it doesn't in Australia - possibly because we're a far more homogeneous country and "local representation" isn't as big a part of being an MP.
It happened a lot more here ~50 years ago too.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

QUACKTASTIC posted:

I liked your joke.

Cheers

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

QUACKTASTIC posted:

I liked your joke.

I'm not sure it went the distance.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog time:

Kitten too:

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Serrath posted:

Paracetamol or NSAIDs work on similar pathways (both inhibit the formation of prostaglandins, mediating pain transmission) while codeine binds directly to opioid receptors, inhibiting nerve cells and preventing them from firing effectively. The problem is, opioids affect a number of different cells which can cause all sorts of depressive functions including your respiratory centers. A lot of these negative effects aren't linear dose-dependent, you can take a whole lot of opioids without any ill effect and then taking a tiny bit more will tip you over the line toward respiratory distress. Unfortunately, with pain, people will keep taking more and more medication until their pain goes away but different pain medications have different times to peak effectiveness. You typically reach peak plasma concentrations of paracetamol within 10-60 minutes with a half life of 1-3 hours while an opioid has a half life of 3-4 hours with a variable peak plasma concentration. The logic is that, with a combination medication, the codeine is the most "effective" medication but for most sources of pain, the paracetamol will have an effect fast enough that people can tolerate their pain enough that they won't keep dosing themselves before the medication has had a chance to work its effect. You also get a wider range of pain conditions treated through combination therapy; some pain doesn't respond well to one so the inclusion of a second pain reliever ensures that the pain is managed.

It's kinda hosed for those of us who with hypertension issues (for me, primary hypertension first diagnosed at 16). I can't use NSAIDs because I'm already on an AT2 inhibitor/thiazide combo, so once this comes in, my pain relief options are paracetamol and a bullet. There's lots of people in the same boat.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011
Americans will never allow similar gun laws we have here. Because they really like playing with their big, manly guns, that make loud noises. Also manliness. And big scopes. And attachments.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Amoeba102 posted:

Sorry it went right over my head at the time. Well played

:golfclap:

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

quote:

Anyway, I thought, most were malingering. So I encouraged “self-service” of medicines and suggested that meals would be better fetched by the friends of the sick. Many deeply resented this disdain for college’s caring and communitarian ethos.

Tony this is why you no pm

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
People with no mates should get sick and starve to death - Tony Abbott

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Tony didn't want to be of any help or comfort to others, so he pursued a career in politics.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
What's going on in Sydney? 2 guys with guns walk into a Police station and say....

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Tony didn't want to be of any help or comfort to others, so he pursued a career in politics.

He realised his powers fell in the supply side of evil

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Freudian Slip posted:

There hasn't been a random mass shooting in Australia since Port Arthur (Monash shooting had 2 deaths). You are right that father did kill himself and his family (5 people) with a gun and that was only a year ago. So if you include that, there was an 18 year gap, when before Port Arthur, random mass shootings were happening every couple of years.

I have pretty strong feelings about our gun laws and I think the American ones are atrocious. I actually did my honours thesis on differences between Australian and American personalities, as we use their norms for psychometric testing. One of the things I found, which I believe feeds into there gun problems is that Americans are believers whereas Australians are doubters.

A person with a gun who 100% believes they are right is a very dangerous person.

That sounds like a drat interesting thesis. Better than the piece of poo poo I'm working on, anyway (arts, lol).

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

look how good australia is at gun control guys.

*guys shoot up cops HQ*

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Laserface posted:

*guys shoot up cops HQ*

in australia only the people who deserve it get shot as opposed to innocent students. a good critique

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Brown Paper Bag posted:

I know you meant it as a joke, but yeah, that's basically it. He didn't get into politics to help people, he got into politics to fight his ideological opponents.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Laserface posted:

*guys shoot up cops HQ*

If only the police had had guns this could've been averted.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Laserface posted:

*guys shoot up cops HQ*

I think the point is that without our level of gun control, things would be a whole lot worse. If any random could spend like $500 for a decent gun here (as opposed to the thousands of dollars it costs now), we'd be hosed.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Lid posted:

If only the police had had guns this could've been averted.

Police did have guns and one of the 2 people shot was the gunman by a cop.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Birb Katter posted:

Police did have guns and one of the 2 people shot was the gunman by a cop.

Woosh.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
:thejoke:

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

in australia only the people who deserve it get shot as opposed to innocent students. a good critique

You're a oval office. Cops are still people.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Chiwie posted:

Not all of them. What about K9 units huh?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Even David Cameron agrees the only good pig is a dead pig.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Chiwie posted:

Back off the language and as far as I know there were no police shot so...way to make poo poo up too.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-02/parramatta-police-headquarters-site-of-shooting-two-dead/6824320

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Unimpressed posted:

Not all of them. What about K9 units huh?

Ah, the sideways Airbud play. Bold.

• Locked thread