Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
drat, it's a good time to be a Hulu user :stare:

e: so it doesn't get lost on last page:

morestuff posted:

Hulu's picking up the Epix license that Netflix just dropped, so they're adding a bunch of stuff this month:

TELEVISION

October 1
Chicago P.D. (Season 3 premiere)
Alaska: The Last Frontier (Season 4)
Cake Boss: Next Great Baker (Seasons 2–4)
Deadly Women (Season 8)
Fast N’ Loud (Season 6)
Gator Boys (Season 6)
Hoarding: Buried Alive (Season 8)
How Do They Do It? (Seasons 7–8)
Leah Remini: It’s All Relative (Season 1)
Long Island Medium (Season 7)
My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding (Season 3)
My Five Wives (Season 1)
My Strange Addiction (Season 5)
MythBusters (Season 16)
Say Yes to the Dress (Season 12)
Say Yes to the Dress: Atlanta (Seasons 5, 7)
Say Yes to the Dress: Randy Knows Best (Season 3)
Street Outlaws (Season 3)
Tanked (Seasons 7–8)
Toddlers & Tiaras (Seasons 7–8)
Who Do You Think You Are? (Season 5)
Yukon Men (Season 4)

October 2
Bones (Season 11 premiere)
Sleepy Hollow (Season 3 premiere)

October 4
Saturday Night Live (Season 41 premiere)
The Good Wife (Season 6)
The Affair (Season 2 premiere)(*Showtime)
Homeland (Season 5 premiere) (*Showtime)

Available October 6
American Horror Story: Freak Show (Season 4)
The Eric Andre Show (Season 3)

Available October 7
Casual (Series premiere)
The Flash (Season 2 premiere)
iZombie (Season 2 premiere)

Available October 8
Arrow (Season 4)
Supernatural (Season 11)

Available October 9
The Vampire Diaries (Season 7)
The Originals (Season 3)

Available October 10
Undateable (Season 3 premiere)
Reign (Season 3 premiere)

Available October 12
America’s Funniest Home Videos (Season 26 premiere)
Doc McStuffins (Season 2)

Available October 13
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (Series premiere)
Jane the Virgin (Season 2 premiere)

Available October 14
Chicago Fire (Season 4)
The Jim Gaffigan Show (Season 1)

Available October 17
Truth Be Told (Series premiere)

Available October 28
Wicked City (Series premiere)

Available October 31
Grimm (Season 4 premiere)

MOVIES

October 1
3 Geezers! (2013)
666: The Beast (2015)
A Touch of Unseen (2014)
Addicted (2014)
All Is Lost (2013)
Altergeist (2014)
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (2013)
Avenged (2013)
Bandits (2001) (*Showtime)
Ben Stiller’s Comedy Roundtable #2 (2013)
Billy Mize & The Bakersfield Sound (2014)
The Blair Witch Project (1999)
Blood Simple (1985)
Blue Chips (1994)

The Breakup Girl (2015)
The Butterfly Tattoo (2009)
Cantinflas (2014)
Carrie (2013)
Casa Amor: Exclusive for Ladies (2015)
The Cat's Meow (2001) (*Showtime)
Cesar Chavez (2014)
Come Out and Play (2013)
The Cutting Room (2015)
Craig Ferguson: Does This Need to Be Said? (2011)
Dear White People (2014)
Defiance (2008)
Demons (2015)
The Devil's Rejects (2005) (*Showtime)
Donovan's Echo (2011) (*Showtime)
Doomsday Book (2012)
Dragonheart (1996) (*Showtime)
Dukale's Dream (2015)
The Expendables 3 (2014)
Fightville (2011)
Fish Tank (2009) (*Showtime)
Flashdance (1983)
Frankenstein vs. the Mummy (2015)
G.I. Joe: Retaliation (2013)
Girl Most Likely (2013)
GLOW (2015)
Hannah and Her Sisters (1986)
Hard Ride to Hell (2010)
Harsh Times (2005) (*Showtime)
Hercules (2014)
Hooked Up (2013)
The House at the End of Time (2013)
Hugo (2011)
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)
I Am I (2013)
The Inkwell (1994) (*Showtime)
The Innkeepers (2011)
I, Frankenstein (2014)
In a World … (2013)
Infernal (2015)
Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit (2013)
Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa (2013)
Jenny McCarthy’s Dirty, Sexy, Funny (2014)
Jim Breuer: And Laughter for All (2013)
Jim Breuer: Comic Frenzy (2015)
Jim Jefferies: Fully Functional (2012)
Jim Norton: American Degenerate (2013)
Jim Norton: Contextually Inadequate (2015)
Joe (2014)
Justin Beiber: Never Say Never (2011)
Katy Perry: Prismatic World Tour (2014)
Kids for Cash (2013)
La Repetition (2001)
Labor Day (2013)
The Last Keepers (2013)
Last Play at Shea (2010)
Lewis Black: Old Yeller – Live at the Borgata (2014)
A Liar’s Autobiography: The Untrue Story of Monty Python’s Graham Chapman (2011)
Lisa Lampanelli: Back to the Drawing Board (2015)
Little Jerusalem (2005)
Love or Whatever (2012)
Lunarcy! (2012)
Men, Women & Children (2014)
Miles to Go (2012)
Monkey Shines: An Experiment in Fear (1988)
A Most Wanted Man (2014)
Much Ado About Nothing (2013)
Nebraska (2013)
Noah (2014)
Pain & Gain (2013)
Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones (2013)

Patton Oswalt: Tragedy Plus Comedy Equals Time (2014)
P!nk: The Truth About Love Tour (2013)
Please Be Normal (2014)
Poltergeist of Borley Forest (2013)
Primal Fear (1996)
Private Parts (1997)
The Program (2015) (*Showtime)
Psycho Beach Party (2000)
Pulp Fiction (1994) (*Showtime)
The Quitter (2014)
Rabbit Hole (2010)
Rise of the Footsoldier (2007) (*Showtime)
The Ravine of Goodbye (2013)
Riviera (2005)
Robocop (2014)
Run, Hide, Die (2012)
Russell Brand: Messiah Complex (2014)
Serendipity (2001) (*Showtime)
Shelter (2015)
The Skeleton Twins (2014)
Skipped Parts (2000) (*Showtime)
Star Trek: Into Darkness (2013)
The Story of Luke (2012)
Swimming Upstream (2003) (*Showtime)
Tales From the Hood (1995) (*Showtime)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014)
They Came Together (2014)
Tom Papa: Freaked Out (2013)
Tony: London Serial Killer (2009) (*Showtime)
Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014)
Vanish (2015)
Weapons (2007) (*Showtime)
Who Bombed Judi Bari? (2012)
William Shatner’s Get a Life (2012)
The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)
World War Z (2013)
You're Next (2013)

Young Hunters: The Beast of Bevendean (2015)

October 2
Frank Miller's Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (2014) (*Showtime)
I Am Giant: Victor Cruz (2015) (*Showtime)

October 5
The Lovers (2015) (*Showtime)

October 10
Prophet's Prey (2015) (*Showtime)

October 17
Camp X-Ray (2014) (*Showtime)

Available October 23
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1 (2014)
Compared to What: The Improbable Journey of Barney Frank (2014) (*Showtime)

Available October 25
American Dream / American Knightmare (2015) (*Showtime)

Available October 30
Why Horror? (2014) (*Showtime)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Didn't Netflix like JUST add poo poo like Dear White People and Transformers? Are they already gone?

Netflix is kinda eating poo poo right now it feels like. Like, it's not 'doomed' or whatever, but it feels like every month their main additions are new seasons of tv shows when, ya know, they're the movie people.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Please bold The Eric Andre Show

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Didn't Netflix like JUST add poo poo like Dear White People and Transformers? Are they already gone?

Netflix is kinda eating poo poo right now it feels like. Like, it's not 'doomed' or whatever, but it feels like every month their main additions are new seasons of tv shows when, ya know, they're the movie people.

it's been really disappointing for the last 3 months or so. Very little I've been interested in watching.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
They've been slowly shifting towards a focus on original programming. Some of which is quite good, mind you, but it's really disappointing that they keep changing their mission- first they let the DVD department go to seed (the number of things the physical service doesn't have often surprises me), now they're like "Eh, who watches MOVIES anymore?"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I like their shows but, ya know, I joined for movies.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Lord posted:

They've been slowly shifting towards a focus on original programming. Some of which is quite good, mind you, but it's really disappointing that they keep changing their mission- first they let the DVD department go to seed (the number of things the physical service doesn't have often surprises me), now they're like "Eh, who watches MOVIES anymore?"

I mean they have all the data of what people are choosing to watch. So they're probably just following those numbers to cater to their users preferences in entertainment.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Magnus Gallant posted:

I mean they have all the data of what people are choosing to watch. So they're probably just following those numbers to cater to their users preferences in entertainment.

Probably this. The fact that people tend to jump on and marathon series when they come out goes a long way to driving content I'd imagine.

I watch a pretty even mix of movies and shows and haven't noticed a dropoff in the number of movies I watch / would want to watch to be honest but my consumption habits are probably less than a lot of other viewers. Point being, I don't think their movie choices are limited at this point compared to the other services I have access to.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I rarely watch movies so this isn't surprising to me at all. Like Hugo and Transformers 4 are the only two movies I've watched since June or thereabouts.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Hulu has Miami Vice, Crime Story and Wiseguy streaming.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Gotham is just terrible writing and acting its like a few degrees off of being a popcorn mess that's fun in its wrecked form however. That current standard bearer is Under the Dome formerly Dexter.

My personal issue with Fargo TV is that it felt like a cheap carbon copy of Fargo. Same notes, sameish song, worse cover band.

Whens Under the Dome going out to streaming pasture?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I end up watching way more shows streaming than movies simply because of the time commitment. Watching a 1hr episode every day is easy to squeeze in; watching a 2hr movie is a bit more cumbersome and basically prevents you from doing much of anything else.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

david_a posted:

I end up watching way more shows streaming than movies simply because of the time commitment. Watching a 1hr episode every day is easy to squeeze in; watching a 2hr movie is a bit more cumbersome and basically prevents you from doing much of anything else.

Yeah this too, also it's usually not 1 hour but closer to 45 minutes. You can finish two episodes in the span of an average kid's movie (which is itself much shorter than an average film today).

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Don''t worry, Netflix is probably going to get 20000 Oscar nominations for Beasts of No Nation and they'll start pushing movies again.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I've never really thought of Netflix streaming as having an extremely deep catalog, anyway. They still seem to be adding all of the mid-budget indie/boutique movies I don't get around to seeing in theaters, so I'm getting my money's worth

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think its worth keeping my Netflix subscription just for the original stuff alone(Daredevil, Narcos, House of Cards, a few more I'm forgetting).

Still its a bummer that things are going in this direction because I'm a movie guy, I watch a ton of movies. I love that if I'm not sure if I'll like something, I could usually wait on it and it would pop up on Netflix a few months down the line. I saw The Guest, Noah, You're Next and Nightcrawler that way just recently, I'd be a lot less current in my movie watching if not for Netflix.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Maxwell Lord posted:

People complained the same way when SciFi started airing their own movies instead of rerunning Creature From the Black Lagoon ten times a week. It's simply cheaper and easier to come up with your own content then it is to have people blaming you every time you can't renew a license for one reason or another.

For a while they'll have mixed content and eventually they'll probably have their service split again or something, like when they split instant and the DVD portions. I imagine redbox is murdering them on the DVD front.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Junkie Disease posted:

Gotham is just terrible writing and acting its like a few degrees off of being a popcorn mess that's fun in its wrecked form however.

Surprisingly season 2 is actually legitimately awesome so far. It's like a completely different show.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

I think its worth keeping my Netflix subscription just for the original stuff alone(Daredevil, Narcos, House of Cards, a few more I'm forgetting).

Still its a bummer that things are going in this direction because I'm a movie guy, I watch a ton of movies. I love that if I'm not sure if I'll like something, I could usually wait on it and it would pop up on Netflix a few months down the line. I saw The Guest, Noah, You're Next and Nightcrawler that way just recently, I'd be a lot less current in my movie watching if not for Netflix.

Just get a Hulu subscription. Netflix is starting to suck rear end with their commitment to their awful Originals and loving TV shows.

I hate TV shows.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Yaws posted:

Just get a Hulu subscription. Netflix is starting to suck rear end with their commitment to their awful Originals and loving TV shows.

I hate TV shows.

I have both, and up to this point I felt like I was getting my money's worth. I'd drop Netflix today if it weren't for the original stuff that they keep putting out. For instance I don't see a point in dropping it now for a few months, only to pick it up again when Daredevil Season 2 comes out. Like I said they have their hooks in me with a few shows that I don't want to give up, not unlike HBO back in the day when I used to like True Blood and Game of Thrones.

That's the HBO model and it works. All you need is each subscriber to be hooked on one show, and they won't cancel the subscription. Most people don't like to cancel and restart subscriptions constantly, its easier to just be lazy and pay the 8 bucks a month.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 2, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Movie studios are getting greedy now that streaming is the one platform that is actually growing and rival platforms like Amazon and Hulu are using the money and connections of their massive parent companies to try and elbow in on the market via exclusivity deals with shows, like it or not original programming is the surest thing they have going for them. Especially since premium cable networks are finally breaking into a la carte subscriptions and pulling their shows off of competing services.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Sleeveless posted:

Movie studios are getting greedy now that streaming is the one platform that is actually growing and rival platforms like Amazon and Hulu are using the money and connections of their massive parent companies to try and elbow in on the market via exclusivity deals with shows, like it or not original programming is the surest thing they have going for them. Especially since premium cable networks are finally breaking into a la carte subscriptions and pulling their shows off of competing services.

Yeah it's this.

I mean I wish Netflix had all the movies but production companies get competing offers from different services.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
I'm just wondering if we're any closer to that scenario that's been hinted at for the last couple of years, where every studio sets up their own movie streaming service. Because right now, with the death of Blockbuster, the decreasing importance of DVDs, and the unwillingness of content holders to license their stuff for streaming, it feels like movies are diminishing in cultural importance, not to mention as revenue sources.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

I'm just wondering if we're any closer to that scenario that's been hinted at for the last couple of years, where every studio sets up their own movie streaming service. Because right now, with the death of Blockbuster, the decreasing importance of DVDs, and the unwillingness of content holders to license their stuff for streaming, it feels like movies are diminishing in cultural importance, not to mention as revenue sources.

Yeah but people still go to the gently caress out of the theater.

e: I mean obviously not as much as in some days but whether it's the Alamo Drafthouse or your local Carmike 32, people still really enjoy going out to the movies (and getting themselves some snacks)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'll believe movies have diminished cultural relevance when a majority of toys aren't movie tie ins.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

computer parts posted:

I'll believe movies have diminished cultural relevance when a majority of toys aren't movie tie ins.

Toys have diminished cultural relevance too so it's fairly appropriate.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sleeveless posted:

Toys have diminished cultural relevance too so it's fairly appropriate.

What about Skylanders or whatever.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Disney Infinity is the ultimate hell combo of all these things

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Dark Was the Night is a by the numbers movie about something strange is happening in a little town and its livestock. Then it shits the bed with a giant slide whistle of a ending. Avoid.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

I'd be surprised if at least a few don't attempt to however, they'll rapidly find that most consumers don't want to spend their time trying to ascertain which studio actually made the latest movie they are trying to google. Most of those attempts will crash and burn and some centralized service will come to the fore again before long.

precision posted:

Yeah but people still go to the gently caress out of the theater.

e: I mean obviously not as much as in some days but whether it's the Alamo Drafthouse or your local Carmike 32, people still really enjoy going out to the movies (and getting themselves some snacks)
The theater experience is rapidly becoming even worse - on the line of airline travel. They check your bags at entry now (totally not because they want to shame people into not bringing in their own refreshements) for "weapons." I'm not sure what they'd do if you did have a legal weapon though. In my state you're legally allowed to concealed-carry even in a "weapon-free zone."

Perhaps you enjoy spending 5 bucks on a soda and 7 on popcorn after then having a pimple-faced fat kid rifle through your girlfriend's purse asking about "weapons", when the white adult males in camo are ignored.. But that was just my most recent experience going to the movies. It was too loud, too expensive, and I felt like I was going through a fake-rear end TSA checkpoint which only checks backpacks and purses rather than asking the big redneck guys if they were packing a gun.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 3, 2015

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Lol the gently caress kinda theater you going to

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I have never encountered that.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Cinemark. I think I saw the latest mission impossible because my folks wanted to take my nephew.. The one with simon peg in a ghillie suit? That's about all I recall because it was retarded.

It was hilarious though, that three huge redneck white guys in my group who were literally wearing camo were ignored but the pimple-faced kid asked to search my 70 year-old mom's purse. I mean, I know my dad has a concealed carry permit, and my brother does as well, on top of his "home defense" room-sweeper pistol-grip 12 gauge. Yep, they were totally worried about safety rather than someone sneaking in some candy and water bottles.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/movie-theater-chain-regal-checking-bags-nationwide-after-shootings-n412996

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've never been frisked or searched at the movies and my girlfriend and I always sneak in bottles of green tea or whatever.

We eat before or after the film, not during. Not even at Drafthouse style places. :colbert:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
As a fan of internet stories involving dogwhistle racism, passive-aggressiveness, and "...and then everybody started clapping!" improbable finales I will weep the day the last movie theater closes and that great schadenfreude engine finally stops.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Cinemark. I think I saw the latest mission impossible because my folks wanted to take my nephew.. The one with simon peg in a ghillie suit? That's about all I recall because it was retarded.

It was hilarious though, that three huge redneck white guys in my group who were literally wearing camo were ignored but the pimple-faced kid asked to search my 70 year-old mom's purse. I mean, I know my dad has a concealed carry permit, and my brother does as well, on top of his "home defense" room-sweeper pistol-grip 12 gauge. Yep, they were totally worried about safety rather than someone sneaking in some candy and water bottles.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/movie-theater-chain-regal-checking-bags-nationwide-after-shootings-n412996

Where on earth?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sleeveless posted:

As a fan of internet stories involving dogwhistle racism, passive-aggressiveness, and "...and then everybody started clapping!" improbable finales I will weep the day the last movie theater closes and that great schadenfreude engine finally stops.

People who bring toddlers or infants to R rated movies deserve a slow painful doom.

Because they make noise, I mean, not because they're bad parents.

But also because they're bad parents.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

They did this recently when I went to see The Visit at the local Regal Cinema. Or rather the employee looked in the older woman's bag in front of me and ignored my wife's. Funny thing was my wife was acting really stiff and awkward as we bought our tickets because I told her I'd tell the employee to gently caress off with that if she tried to open my wife's purse. So if anything she'd look suspicious. Anyway didn't get searched. I guess theaters must really be hurting for snack revenue if this policy is becoming commonplace.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wonder if the big chain theaters are ever gonna figure out that they would probably make more profit on snacks if they lowered the prices and also served food that wasn't sub-gas station tier garbage? I mean surely there are a lot of people like me who would buy a coffee or some popcorn or whatever if it wasn't marked up 1000%

I mean five fuckin' dollars for a bottle of AquaFina. Do they really make more by relying on people with no impulse/money control rather than the sane rest of humanity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

precision posted:

I wonder if the big chain theaters are ever gonna figure out that they would probably make more profit on snacks if they lowered the prices and also served food that wasn't sub-gas station tier garbage? I mean surely there are a lot of people like me who would buy a coffee or some popcorn or whatever if it wasn't marked up 1000%

I mean five fuckin' dollars for a bottle of AquaFina. Do they really make more by relying on people with no impulse/money control rather than the sane rest of humanity?

Coincidentally, I just found out today that my theater (a Cinemark) is now serving Starbucks.