Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selane
May 19, 2006

wooger posted:

Not sure if this is related to the clock speeding up problem - my iPad, when set to automatically sync the time, will gain time somehow. It's two minutes approx ahead of every other device.

It breaks Google Authenticator!

Yeah, my iPad has been 2 minutes fast recently as well, not sure what's causing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

e.pilot posted:

Just get it and activate it for a month on t-mobile or any other carrier that has month to month plans and immediately cancel.
With AT&T, at least, your account has to have been active for 90 days. Things they don't tell you until they spend an hour trying to sell you a phone and can't figure out why AT&T won't let them!

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Selane posted:

Yeah, my iPad has been 2 minutes fast recently as well, not sure what's causing it.

Well, it's an iOS 9 bug, and I've seen it reported elsewhere too.

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/16872

Fixed in 9.1 public beta apparently.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

BGrifter posted:

As much as I was a proponent of caseless with AppleCare+ for the 5s I might try out one of those Apple leather ones when I get the 6s. When trying the 6 in stores I found it didn't grip as solidly as the 5s between the size increase and the rounded edges. Seems a lot easier to drop.

I'm going to get a case today because of this; I was careless on the 5s but the 6s slightly too big and rounded, so I'm much more worried about dropping it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

6S+ preorders are up in my country from my carrier and.... they have no Rose Gold 😭

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

I've gone careless on my last 3 phones. Picked up the leather case for the 6s and it's really nice, adds very little bulk but adds a really nice feel to the phone.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Haggins posted:

I keep track of paying my bills by using an excel spreadsheet. I just have a simple list of what needs to be paid every month. Bills that haven't been paid are in red font and I change them to black font when they're paid. I make a new tab every month.

I keep this file on a thumb drive attached to my keychain so I can pay and keep track of my bills on my work computer if needed (work blocks google docs). I just thought today that this is stupid and archaic and I should just find an iPhone app to accomplish this simple task. Any suggestions on a good app for doing something simple like this? I don't want to track my spending, have it link to my accounts, or anything fancy. I mean I guess it could have the fancy stuff, I don't just don't want to be required to use it for my simple task.

My wife and I just use the Google Sheets app since we are already in pretty deep with Google Docs for keeping track of things between us. The app is pretty capable, and it syncs simultaneously as we make edits.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

e: well poo poo on a stick nobiggi doesnt ship to australia

Have a goon ship you one.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

nwin posted:

I like You Need A Budget (YNAB)-it syncs across devices and is pretty easy to use.

Yeah, YNAB owns. Read/watch the tutorials though and try the trial. If you're still in college, it's free too.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I had a similar Sena wallet case for my 5S so I picked up the Sena Wallet Book Classic. It has room for my ID, cash, and 2 credit cards, though I jammed 4 in there no problem. Aside from replacing my wallet, I like having a front cover to protect the screen from scratches while it's in my pocket. It also makes it much easier to hold the phone with one hand since it gives you more to hold on to. I have a 6S+ and I kept feeling like I was going to drop it because I wasn't able to get a very good grip in one hand. Now it feels fine. Lastly, in a pinch, the cover can be used to prop up the phone horizontally, though you may need to back up to something else so it doesn't slip. If that's important to you, Sena has other similar cases that are made for propping.

It's expensive for a cell phone case but the material and quality are great. It also comes with a 1 year warranty which I used before on my 5S case and had no issue swapping it out. They have the same cases for 6 as well.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

CancerStick posted:

Anybody ever have the lock screen notifications show the wrong time since you received a notification. A lot of times it will say it had been 2 minutes or whatever since an iMessage but when I open the message it's been over half an hour or whatever

It's not necessarily wrong: The timestamps in Messages reflect the time the message was sent. (For iMessage, anyway.) The lock screen notifications reflect the time since the message was received.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

For anyone with a ProClip car mount, can I still plug in a charger if I get the cheaper $39.99 adjustable holder? Or is the Lightning port covered by the holder? It seems a bit silly to pay $89.99 for it to just include a USB cigarette lighter adapter and a piece of plastic that holds the cable in the holder.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I know everyone loves the apple case, but I'm nervous about not having a screen protector. I used an otterbox with my 5s but I'm kind of interested in a more aesthetically pleasing option this time around with my new 6s (I did end up making the exchange for 64GB btws). Advice?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

nwin posted:

I like You Need A Budget (YNAB)-it syncs across devices and is pretty easy to use.

Their philosophy about computer budgeting in 2015 sucks. It has the ability to interface wonderfully with Mint or your bank seamlessly but they refuse to integrate it so you have to input every purchase you make manually.

Totally untenable, I don't know how people make it work for them. Seems like it's just adding complexity instead of making budgeting simpler.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'm thinking this might just be a Waze issue, but ...

When using Waze and Music.app in my car (on a 6S), having waze open seems to lower the sound output level (volume) for the music as well. It's intermittent, but consistent enough to be annoying. Is this a known thing? I enabled sound check to fix it, but that basically made everything quieter, so I'm not loving that.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Ogmius815 posted:

I know everyone loves the apple case, but I'm nervous about not having a screen protector. I used an otterbox with my 5s but I'm kind of interested in a more aesthetically pleasing option this time around with my new 6s (I did end up making the exchange for 64GB btws). Advice?

Unless you regularly keep diamonds in your pocket or work on a construction site you probably will never scratch your phone.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Does the native iOS Mail app have push for Gmail yet? I heard a while back that Google was going to let third-party non-Google apps use push again but I can't seem to get it to work as there is no option to enable push in the settings.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Stare-Out posted:

Does the native iOS Mail app have push for Gmail yet? I heard a while back that Google was going to let third-party non-Google apps use push again but I can't seem to get it to work as there is no option to enable push in the settings.

push data for mail.app is on Settings->Mail, Contacts, Calendars->Fetch New Data

idk if it works with gmail, i assume it does though. Be warned that it supposedly craves battery, sweet battery, only battery forever and ever

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

TheQat posted:

push data for mail.app is on Settings->Mail, Contacts, Calendars->Fetch New Data

idk if it works with gmail, i assume it does though. Be warned that it supposedly craves battery, sweet battery, only battery forever and ever
I've had Push on since always for the Gmail app I've been using but below that setting there are separate settings for data fetching for iCloud, Gmail and a... Holiday Calendar, and only iCloud has Push as an option, Gmail just has "Fetch" and "Manually" and choosing the former seems to not mean Push. I guess it's still only for iCloud and not Gmail. :saddowns:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Baller Witness Bro posted:

You realize the difference is .2mm between 6 and 6S right? That's "gently caress we need something to post about until they release actual information" territory. Get whatever and stop worrying about it. I have a 6 case on my 6s+, it's whatever.

Fwiw I had them try a 6+ leather case on my 6s+ and it didnt fit along the bottom edges of the phone. Definitely enough to make me buy a 6s case.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Stare-Out posted:

I've had Push on since always for the Gmail app I've been using but below that setting there are separate settings for data fetching for iCloud, Gmail and a... Holiday Calendar, and only iCloud has Push as an option, Gmail just has "Fetch" and "Manually" and choosing the former seems to not mean Push. I guess it's still only for iCloud and not Gmail. :saddowns:

Google blocked push for non Google Apps users from services and apps not run by Google themselves like a million years ago. Some were grandfathered in but it was attached to their device, upgrading disabled it. Perhaps this is related.

Also no TheQat, it doesn't work for Gmail due to the aforementioned reasoning.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

unlawfulsoup posted:

Unless you regularly keep diamonds in your pocket or work on a construction site you probably will never scratch your phone.

I feel like I need at least some drop protection though.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

unlawfulsoup posted:

I don't do this, I work in IT and my 6+ had a lot of hairline scratches. So, to each his own .. I run a tempered glass protector on my 6S now, it doesn't bother me one bit and it works just as well as screen only.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

For anyone with a ProClip car mount, can I still plug in a charger if I get the cheaper $39.99 adjustable holder? Or is the Lightning port covered by the holder? It seems a bit silly to pay $89.99 for it to just include a USB cigarette lighter adapter and a piece of plastic that holds the cable in the holder.

I just installed a proclip for my 6S+. The phone holder part just clips mostly to the sides of your phone leaving all the stuff at the bottom exposed. No problem using a charger or audio jack. This is the one I bought.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Kaizoku posted:

Google blocked push for non Google Apps users from services and apps not run by Google themselves like a million years ago. Some were grandfathered in but it was attached to their device, upgrading disabled it. Perhaps this is related.

Actually, there is now a Gmail API with push support. However, it hasn't been implemented by Mail.app at this point.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Michael Scott posted:

Their philosophy about computer budgeting in 2015 sucks. It has the ability to interface wonderfully with Mint or your bank seamlessly but they refuse to integrate it so you have to input every purchase you make manually.

Totally untenable, I don't know how people make it work for them. Seems like it's just adding complexity instead of making budgeting simpler.

I think the reasoning is something along the lines of "if you put it in manually, it makes you think about your purchases!" Which is dumb because you've already spent the money, why would it change anything

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Kaizoku posted:

Yeah, I remember when they did that and I had to stop using the iOS Mail app because of it but then I found this article and unless I'm reading it completely wrong, that means they've enabled it again?

Ochowie posted:

Actually, there is now a Gmail API with push support. However, it hasn't been implemented by Mail.app at this point.
Ahh there we go. This is good to know, hope they get to it soon. Cheers.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Michael Scott posted:

I like how it works...doesn't mint do exactly what you want? Just auto-populating numbers for you?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I don't do this, I work in IT and my 6+ had a lot of hairline scratches. So, to each his own .. I run a tempered glass protector on my 6S now, it doesn't bother me one bit and it works just as well as screen only.

I wear jeans pretty much every day and no matter how careful I am, what eventually gets me are those little copper rivets on the "watch pocket". Never anything major but I will get a few small glass scratches.

I don't like screen protector film though, I opted for the wallet case with the flap that covers the screen.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Ogmius815 posted:

I feel like I need at least some drop protection though.

Everyone has different experiences. I use a tpu case most of the time, which gives some drop protection and protects the metal from getting scratched. It is relatively thin, but it basically disperses some force from small drops. As far as drop protection goes, I don't know how clumsy you are. Otterbox and others make hilariously large cases meant to be dropkicked onto moving trains, but I think that ruins the point of having a svelt phone.

Back to scratches, I have had 4 iPhones and never gotten a single display scratch on any of them, and most people I know have had similar experiences. If you really think you are going to scratch it, then just get the screen protector. I can't stand them personally, but if it makes you feel safer then why not. I just don't think they are necessary, the glass tends to hold up pretty well for most people.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 2, 2015

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

robodex posted:

I think the reasoning is something along the lines of "if you put it in manually, it makes you think about your purchases!" Which is dumb because you've already spent the money, why would it change anything

Because it makes you evaluate whether the price was actually worth the utility afterward instead of the item automatically just being 'a thing you have' divorced from the purchase you make. It's worked better for me this way than trying to view it on a weekly or monthly basis, because by then you're just looking at a big list of failures and it gets harder to actually enact change in habits from that view.

Which is dumb, apparently.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I don't think a scratch is truly a scratch unless it affects the viewing of the screen. gently caress screen protectors

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Haggins posted:

I wear jeans pretty much every day and no matter how careful I am, what eventually gets me are those little copper rivets on the "watch pocket". Never anything major but I will get a few small glass scratches.

I don't like screen protector film though, I opted for the wallet case with the flap that covers the screen.

There are options other than film. Tempered glass to me feels exactly like the iphone glass.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A friend of mine is on vacation in roaming territory, and said that whenever they check their email on their iPad it's also updating on the phone despite data being off.

Can Continuity do that, or are they probably just dumb and have their phone on wifi?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Used Apple Pay for the first time today, was much, much faster than the chip and signature junk. Now I want to go buy more things to use it again.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I'm not so sure why people preserve their rapidly depreciating devices in cases. Is it so awful to have a few scratches here and there? It's just a phone, and next year it's just an old phone.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Pretty much the one I normally use, but lately I've been using this one.

The Apple silicone cases are pretty nice.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I'm not so sure why people preserve their rapidly depreciating devices in cases. Is it so awful to have a few scratches here and there? It's just a phone, and next year it's just an old phone.

There are many reason to use a case besides fear of scratches.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

nwin posted:

I like how it works...doesn't mint do exactly what you want? Just auto-populating numbers for you?

I mean, I guess, but YNAB'S budgeting engine seems more robust than Mint's. Maybe I should try out Mint's budget thing.

Do you seriously input every purchase you make on a given day/week?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Enderzero posted:

What's a good thin case that provides at least a minimum of edge glass protection? I don't care about dropping on concrete, but I want something as thin as possible while having just enough of a bezel to hold up to falling on a wood floor, and just thick enough to protect the camera lip and with a little more grip than the bare phone. Looked at Spigen Air Case and Caudabe Veil but they seem to fail on the front bezel front, and for super thin cases I want a guaranteed to fit 6s case - I'm tired of these Amazon cases claiming to be 6s compatible when I suspect they just changed the title.

http://www.amazon.com/Lighting-Thin-Thing%AE-Butterfly-Rhinestone-Incoming/dp/B013BP0G6I/

Somebody suggested diztronic and I got a $10 TGP case off theirs amazon. Other option I would have grabbed was something by incipio since I have had good luck with those on my other phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Michael Scott posted:

I mean, I guess, but YNAB'S budgeting engine seems more robust than Mint's. Maybe I should try out Mint's budget thing.

Do you seriously input every purchase you make on a given day/week?

Yep, that's how it's supposed to work, I think. If I do bulk inputs I invariably lose some bill or forget to enter it. It gets faster if you shop at similar locations/shops over time. I like the aspect of having to enter the numbers manually, and seeing the budget shrink or drop in the red, it's made me sensitive to how much I spend.