Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

z06ck posted:

You pay 60 a month for a 6 GB plan, really? What is your line access fee?

Anyway, if you two could read then you could see I said $88.

That is your line access fee. You then pay 30/mo for 6GB of data on top of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Baller Witness Bro posted:

That is your line access fee. You then pay 30/mo for 6GB of data on top of that.

I have zero clue what you're talking about and you didn't answer my question at all.

My line access is 40 a month
My data is 44 a month for 6 gb on the loyalty plan = 88 a month TOTAL
No extra fee but downpayment of 200ish for new phones - if you switch to the new plan you cannot go back but get $20 line access

Going to the new plan:
6gb-48 also with my 20% discount from 60
line access is 20
You pay per month for a device ~30ish for high end phones

I can answer my own question, shouldn't have asked.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm still unsure how 40 + 44 = 88, but if you insist that's how it works. I'm pretty confused what's being asked myself. I think for a lot of people the new plans aren't really worth it, especially considering the price gouging for data (like how to go from 6GB to 12GB you have to only pay an extra $20...)

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Protocol7 posted:

I'm still unsure how 40 + 44 = 88, but if you insist that's how it works. I'm pretty confused what's being asked myself. I think for a lot of people the new plans aren't really worth it, especially considering the price gouging for data (like how to go from 6GB to 12GB you have to only pay an extra $20...)

Don't worry bout it

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!
Do the new Verizon Plans still allow for employer discounts to be applied? I'm on a very old family share plan with unlimited on one line (out of contract) and 2GB data on three other lines (varying contract end dates through the next year). I know if I switch plans then those three will be $40/month but the idea of an eventual decrease from the $260/month I pay now is looking very enticing.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yes, but if I recall correctly they don't apply to the whole bill. For example the 12GB plan is $80 but with a 20% discount (what I have) it would drop the whole bill by $16.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I thought you only got the discount on the base charge, not on the per phone charges.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Don Lapre posted:

I thought you only got the discount on the base charge, not on the per phone charges.

That's correct.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Cozmosis posted:

That's correct.
And to add a small detail that doesn't apply to most goons, your employer discount also only applies to data charges of at least $35 -- i.e. no discount on the 1GB bucket.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Can I buy a nano tablet sim from Verizon and stick it in a old smartphone to use a tablet?

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I believe that when the phone tries to provision voice service, that feature will be added to the line.

chicagobutters
Sep 7, 2015

axeil posted:

Whew. Okay. That's good to know. I'm a do-it-yourself kind of guy but I'm glad to know I can to a store if I end up mangling the SIM. Thanks!

Alternatively my wife went into a VZW Corporate store asking for a new SIM for her new Moto X. Easy right? Nope. Two employees told her to go to the Sprint store as there was no way it was a Verizon phone. She insisted otherwise, and they had the stones to tell her that IMEI/MEID spoofing was illegal and retold her to go to the Sprint store all in front of a bunch of other customers in the store.

Fortunately we lived a minute from that store, so I called the retentions department on my drive there and had them stay on the line with me while I pulled these two employees away from sales opportunities they were working on. They turned white when they saw my wife's phone in my hand, I quickly set the record straight, so did Retentions on speaker phone, and the Manager became very apologetic. They also lost some sales in the process when customers heard me taking calmly, firmly, and loudly about the asinine situation.

chicagobutters fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 26, 2015

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

then everyone stood up and clapped.

What's the deal with month to month plans at Verizon? I'm off contract right now and a friend mentioned he just upgraded to a 6S and they offered $350 for his 5S trade in & $25/mo discount on his plan?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
those customers? albert einstein

chicagobutters
Sep 7, 2015

FordPRefectLL posted:

those customers? albert einstein

I'm sure those customers didn't know what the core issue was; however, seeing the original interaction and me coming back only 5 minutes later with retentions on speaker phone and management on the defensive probably put things into context. The store was busy enough that day where there was a solid queue.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

chicagobutters posted:

I'm sure those customers didn't know what the core issue was; however, seeing the original interaction and me coming back only 5 minutes later with retentions on speaker phone and management on the defensive probably put things into context. The store was busy enough that day where there was a solid queue.

You, my friend, are a badass. A true retail hero for the common man.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Can I pay ETFs to get my on-contract lines down to $20 a month instead of $40 without cancelling service?

edit: Verizon chat said no.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 28, 2015

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

Are new accounts using the corporate discount (CAM?) still eligible for device trade-in promos and bill credits like the one for porting a line in? Our FAQ isn't clear but seems to indicate they aren't, however, I have a coworker who said he's received them. I'm interested in porting from AT&T and taking advantage of the FALLPROMO code and device trade-in/porting credits to get a Note 5. I've wondered if I should just open a new customer account without the employee discount and then convert it a week or two later, but don't know if the conversion process nullifies pending bill credits.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AppleCider posted:

Are new accounts using the corporate discount (CAM?) still eligible for device trade-in promos and bill credits like the one for porting a line in? Our FAQ isn't clear but seems to indicate they aren't, however, I have a coworker who said he's received them. I'm interested in porting from AT&T and taking advantage of the FALLPROMO code and device trade-in/porting credits to get a Note 5. I've wondered if I should just open a new customer account without the employee discount and then convert it a week or two later, but don't know if the conversion process nullifies pending bill credits.

No you're fine, for consumer accounts to can have both. Getting a discount just adds that to your plan, it doesn't change you from consumer to business or whatever.

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

Thanks! I'll probably open the account and get the employee discount added in a week, since it seems easier to handle the promo code and device trade-in the "normal" way.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Now that the Nexus 5x and 6P are out and available (when they're not sold out), they say they're carrier unlocked, so if I were to buy one, I could activate it on Verizon, right?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Fhqwhgads posted:

Now that the Nexus 5x and 6P are out and available (when they're not sold out), they say they're carrier unlocked, so if I were to buy one, I could activate it on Verizon, right?

Yes. As always, its easier if you have a nano-SIM already and do a swap and you avoid VZW buffoonery. But the band support is there.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Cozmosis posted:

Yes. As always, its easier if you have a nano-SIM already and do a swap and you avoid VZW buffoonery. But the band support is there.

I know my phone has a SIM card but am not sure if it's micro or nano. I'm still rocking a Droid MAXX. Assuming it's nano it's just drop the SIM into the new phone and away I go (aside from dialing whatever to activate the phone)?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Fhqwhgads posted:

I know my phone has a SIM card but am not sure if it's micro or nano. I'm still rocking a Droid MAXX. Assuming it's nano it's just drop the SIM into the new phone and away I go (aside from dialing whatever to activate the phone)?

There is no dialing involved.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Fhqwhgads posted:

You have a nano sim. Just swap the sims and you're finished.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Can the latest iPhones do voice and data at the same time on Verizon? Or alternatively, is VoLTE and intercarrier HDVoice going to be working before the end of the year? Considering switching to AT&T wireless since they can do voice and data and have the HD Voice working in our area (most friends are on AT&T)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hed posted:

Can the latest iPhones do voice and data at the same time on Verizon?
Yes, since the 6.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Just make sure you check to make sure it is activated in iOS settings. I restored my 6s from my old 5s and it it retained the data only setting.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks! You guys always help a lot :). I guess I suck at googling VZW or FiOS info.

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

Pulled the trigger on the Note 5 porting in from AT&T. The $200 "FALLPROMO" code still works, and they gave me $200 for my free HTC Desire 510 from Cricket.

I found two other promo codes that didn't stack, but might be worth a shot if you're purchasing phones:

GROUPON50 ($50 off)
VZWDEAL ($50 off)

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Hi folks, I'm wondering what the best course of action is here-

I'm thinking about changing over to a Note5. I signed up with Verizon in May and got a 64GB iPhone 6 on the Verizon payment plan. Would it be better to trade the iPhone in and pay the $400ish dollars to "upgrade" or would it be better to buy the phone outright and sell it? It seems like either way I'm eating some money which is fine (I guess) but I can't really tell which way is worse. It looks like the iPhone6 on Swappa is selling between $450-500.

Edit: it also looks like if I register with Samsung they'll pay 3 months of the phone payments with a $100 Google Play certificate since I'm switching from iPhone. That seems ok.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

AppleCider posted:

Pulled the trigger on the Note 5 porting in from AT&T. The $200 "FALLPROMO" code still works, and they gave me $200 for my free HTC Desire 510 from Cricket.

I found two other promo codes that didn't stack, but might be worth a shot if you're purchasing phones:

GROUPON50 ($50 off)
VZWDEAL ($50 off)

Thanks, VZW chat support added a $50 bill credit for my wife's new 6s from this.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Apologies if this is covered already. My wife is on a Verizon Wireless plan, I'm on AT&T Wireless. She gets an 18% discount through her employer, so I'd like to switch to Verizon and do a family plan with her. She still has 3 weeks left on her contract. Will Verizon allow her to convert the account to a Family Plan based on the new S, M, L, XL sizes and let me join before her contract is done in 3 weeks? It sounded like AT&T wouldn't let you convert an existing individual plan to a family plan. Thanks

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

canyonero posted:

Apologies if this is covered already. My wife is on a Verizon Wireless plan, I'm on AT&T Wireless. She gets an 18% discount through her employer, so I'd like to switch to Verizon and do a family plan with her. She still has 3 weeks left on her contract. Will Verizon allow her to convert the account to a Family Plan based on the new S, M, L, XL sizes and let me join before her contract is done in 3 weeks? It sounded like AT&T wouldn't let you convert an existing individual plan to a family plan. Thanks

Yes you can. I did it last week.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

canyonero posted:

Yup switch now and you will get a $100 port credit. Lines never have to be on the same contract time frame. Go into a store and the rep will be glad to help.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yes, since the 6.

Well, it can do VoLTE; think you quoted the wrong part of his message. Which does give you simultaneous voice and data, but means your voice calls are only as good and only last as long as your LTE signal. I've had to turn off VoLTE since LTE service is intermittent at my work, so I'd get calls with audio dropouts and disconnections. 3G & CDMA voice are rock solid there, I think because they probably installed repeaters, but installed them pre-LTE.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

TheWevel posted:

Hi folks, I'm wondering what the best course of action is here-

I'm thinking about changing over to a Note5. I signed up with Verizon in May and got a 64GB iPhone 6 on the Verizon payment plan. Would it be better to trade the iPhone in and pay the $400ish dollars to "upgrade" or would it be better to buy the phone outright and sell it? It seems like either way I'm eating some money which is fine (I guess) but I can't really tell which way is worse. It looks like the iPhone6 on Swappa is selling between $450-500.

Edit: it also looks like if I register with Samsung they'll pay 3 months of the phone payments with a $100 Google Play certificate since I'm switching from iPhone. That seems ok.

Just an update: I ended up buying the iPhone outright and getting the Note. The rep said that I would get a $350 trade in credit for the Iphone and would only have to pay like $100 for my early upgrade but that didn't sound right at all. She said I would get a gift card and could use that to pay for the early upgrade? It sounded confusing so I went with what I knew.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Just making sure I have my facts straight. I originally upgraded to an iPhone 6 in May and in September I decided it still wasn't for me, so I got a Moto X Pure. That's all working great and not at all the problem at hand.

Now my girlfriend's phone is hosed and she's at the end of her contract anyway so I can take her onto my plan; I've still been making payments on the iPhone. I can activate it as a new line on my account, correct? Or if she decides to just use her own account, so long as payments are being made, Verizon doesn't care which line the phone's on, right?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Correct, its not locked to your account at all.

Which is why people have to be super loving careful buying used phones now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Don Lapre posted:

Which is why people have to be super loving careful buying used phones now.

I apparently need to buy a new phone, as the Moto X 1st gen I got used (because I still have unlimited data) a year ago seems like it's rapidly starting to keep people on the other end from hearing me. I'd initially popped in here to get suggestions on a modestly-priced (say, preferably $200 or less) used phone to buy. However, now I see this. What's the pitfall you're referring to— people who are still making payments on a phone who sell said phone and stop payments, with the carrier then bricking the phone or something for nonpayment?

• Locked thread