Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Asimo posted:

Cryptic keeps desperately trying to make torpedoes viable through random buffs while continuing to miss the key issues that have kept them from being so. Namely, the firing arc incompatible with beam broadsiding, and the opportunity cost of needing to buy/equip both torpedo and energy weapon skills and tac powers. Unless both those are fixed nobody with any sense will be using torpedoes much in PVE. Even the assorted buffs they keep tossing at torpedoes has opportunity costs for rep powers and consoles and such, which means they're basically useless picks.

Remember when the enterprise equipped a torpedo to track some kind of emission stuff that the bald guy's cloak leaked, and they fired it out the back of the ship, it detected the cloaked ship, circled around to the front of the enterprise and hit it? Causing a spontaneous Shakespeare quotation? Or whatever human thing he liked quoting, I forget? Didn't a science officer do that?

hakimashou posted:

:siren::siren:Alert Chris Roberts Is Xean:siren::siren:

chris Roberts called Derek Smart a cybobully and trole

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14979-Chairmans-Response-To-The-Escapist

Damnit. I gave up on the escapist because it's nonstop link bait. Are you sucking me back in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Those drat trolls at IQ Fleet are at it again!

IQ posted:

Dreadnaughts ... Dreadnaughts everywhere

What could it mean?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Speaking of Dreads, they should make the Cardassian ATR-4107 missile a playable ship.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Limited-time promo ships forever!! gently caress this lovely game. :suicide:

Also the admirality system on tribble accidentally leaked a bunch of stuff that nobody at all anywhere knew was coming, including T6 variants of the Gal-x, Defiant, Ha'apax, T'varo, B'rel, the herald lockbox ships, etc. Cryptic's trying to put hardworking dataminers out of business here it seems! :downs:

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Nobody's doing a piece on Derek Smart because he actually pays for his games himself. Or who the gently caress knows how he keeps coming up with the money. Chris Roberts on the other hand is doing a good job ruining his reputation all by himself and he got what, 90 million now? Look what you made me do Chris Roberts. I'm actually siding with Doctor Derek "Desktop Commander" Smart.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Morglon posted:

Nobody's doing a piece on Derek Smart because he actually pays for his games himself. Or who the gently caress knows how he keeps coming up with the money. Chris Roberts on the other hand is doing a good job ruining his reputation all by himself and he got what, 90 million now? Look what you made me do Chris Roberts. I'm actually siding with Doctor Derek "Desktop Commander" Smart.

Chris Roberts is correct that Derek Smart has a long history of being a gigantic shitheel and is currently continuing to be a giant shitheel. That said, yes Star Citizen is a massive fraud and he's probably going to get Jack Ruby'd on stage at CitizenCon next weekend.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

kafziel posted:

Chris Roberts is correct that Derek Smart has a long history of being a gigantic shitheel and is currently continuing to be a giant shitheel. That said, yes Star Citizen is a massive fraud and he's probably going to get Jack Ruby'd on stage at CitizenCon next weekend.

Derek Smart saw his chance to stand up and say "at least I'm not this guy."

And he's right. God help us all, he's right.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Derek Smart is the best forums moderator that SA has ever had.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Asimo posted:

Cryptic keeps desperately trying to make torpedoes viable through random buffs while continuing to miss the key issues that have kept them from being so. Namely, the firing arc incompatible with beam broadsiding, and the opportunity cost of needing to buy/equip both torpedo and energy weapon skills and tac powers. Unless both those are fixed nobody with any sense will be using torpedoes much in PVE. Even the assorted buffs they keep tossing at torpedoes has opportunity costs for rep powers and consoles and such, which means they're basically useless picks.
I've seen some high-DPS specialty builds which used torp skills (without any torps slotted) just to trigger traits like All Hands on Deck, but all the other drawbacks mean that torps are still worthless from a min/max standpoint.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Asimo posted:

Limited-time promo ships forever!! gently caress this lovely game. :suicide:

Also the admirality system on tribble accidentally leaked a bunch of stuff that nobody at all anywhere knew was coming, including T6 variants of the Gal-x, Defiant, Ha'apax, T'varo, B'rel, the herald lockbox ships, etc. Cryptic's trying to put hardworking dataminers out of business here it seems! :downs:

Hahahahaha and still no T6 flagships.

Most interesting of the leaks is the T6 Vesta. Long may she reign.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

Korgan posted:

You're invited to TheNextGooneration, we'll sort you out with fleet invites and whatever else from there.

Didn't see an invite? Am I looking in the wrong place?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

rocket_man38 posted:

Didn't see an invite? Am I looking in the wrong place?

The game doesn't give you any notification when you get a chat channel invite. Go into chat settings (gear icon in the chat window > chat settings), go into the "Channels" tab, and you should be able to join it from there.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The Terran Rep ground stuff is a huge step up from the glowing Iconian underwire gimp suit and laser tag shotgun.

Here's some high res pics that aren't linked in the news blog post because ~Cryptic~

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
The rep is on tribble for testing, no visuals outside of space weapons at the moment

quote:

Secondary Torpedo Launchers (3 piece) – Click Enhancement
While active, firing a torpedo fires an additional basic torpedo of a similar type.

But holy poo poo, so many torpedoes

Your ship fires an additional torpedo every time one of your torpedos impacts.

The power even counts for the point defence launcher and Torpedo Spread. So you just have a swarm of torpedos.

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 2, 2015

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Potential BFF posted:

The Terran Rep ground stuff is a huge step up from the glowing Iconian underwire gimp suit and laser tag shotgun.

Here's some high res pics that aren't linked in the news blog post because ~Cryptic~

Looks like a firewarrior.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

That stuff looks cool.

Did they ever add the missing outfit pieces to the delta rep armor?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
No idea what's missing from the delta armor but it looks like poo poo anyway so :shrug:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

DancingShade posted:

it looks like poo poo
sto.txt

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

DancingShade posted:

No idea what's missing from the delta armor but it looks like poo poo anyway so :shrug:

If I remember right it doesnt have gloves or a helmet, for no reason since everything else does.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Berke Negri posted:

If I remember right it doesnt have gloves or a helmet, for no reason since everything else does.

I'm pretty sure the pieces exist in the assets, it's just broken. You can select Delta Alliance Helmet but it just makes your character bald.

Nita
Apr 27, 2008
Hey guys, I just want you to know that we're all responsible for gold sellers in STO:

quote:

[10/2 4:09] James Vega@commandershep1: I just got a random pm from a spammer asking me to go to some site. When did the spammers start sending personal messages?

[10/2 4:09] James Vega@commandershep1: Anyone had that problem before?>

[10/2 4:10] Binkley@Sub-Nagus Gooark: ignore James

[10/2 4:10] Binkley@Sub-Nagus Gooark: classic dental spam trick

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Dental moves your car keys when you aren't looking and makes you forget why you entered a room.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Unguided posted:

Dental moves your car keys when you aren't looking and makes you forget why you entered a room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZI_aEalijE

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

here is the terran ground set at epic mkxiv

http://imgur.com/a/xSbGf

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Nita posted:

Hey guys, I just want you to know that we're all responsible for gold sellers in STO:

It's me, its part of my doxing process

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Nita posted:

Shh, don't tell anyone that my personal website is http://www.totsnothaxorzinyouraccount.cn

Nita
Apr 27, 2008
I have been blessed by Dear Leader.

quote:

[10/2 2:38] Spacedonz@Starwars_was_better: dear leader!
[10/2 2:39] Spacedonz@Starwars_was_better: all hail glorious leader!
[10/2 2:39] Brought to you by your friends@Starfleet_Dental: Spacedonz, you've done well my child. Rise and recieve your reward.
[10/2 2:40] Spacedonz@Starwars_was_better: I am not worthy dear leader
[10/2 2:40] [ItemReceived] Item acquired: Special Requisition Pack - Jem'Hadar Strike Ship [T6]
[10/2 2:41] Spacedonz@Starwars_was_better: Praise be to dear leader!

Glory be to Dear Leader.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

WITNESSED.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

So I found an interesting bug (?) with the terran taskforce space set.

It is applying to itself, so it fires more torpedoes when the extra torpedoes hit. Which means if you're fighting an invincible enemy you just keep firing.. forever. Or at least until you fly out of range.

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 2, 2015

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

Nita posted:

I have been blessed by Dear Leader.

Glory be to Dear Leader.

Been crying all evening. It's moments like these that keep me going.

Sivlan
Aug 29, 2006
Out of curiosity does any one know how the rights to produce a game like this work out?

Like, since ARC is running a current MMO with the Star Trek license, does that block any other company from doing it as well?

I was talking about it with a friend and its just such a shame that this game is your only option for a Star Trek ship game right now.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Rights are usually exclusive, yes, though usually only in certain areas. EA for example has pretty much exclusive rights to any sort of Star Wars game, but Perfect World/Cryptic only has MMO rights to Star Trek and it's possible another company could release a different type of Trek game. This is furthered muddled by Trek's rights being split between CBS (TV show) and Paramount (Movies), and there's other further issues if you want to use EU-sourced material since the creator may or may not have some rights to it as well.

Basically media licensing is a baroque clusterfuck.

Asimo fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 3, 2015

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Cryptic/Perfect World have the rights to the Prime Timeline in the MMO space. Off the top of my head, there's that awful cover-shooter from JJTrek that was released a few years back, and there's Star Trek Gems (a bad match-three game) and Star Trek Trexels (a bad Tiny Tower kind of knockoff) on mobile devices right now. There's also Star Trek Timelines coming to web and mobile at some point in the indeterminate future. In fact, I think at one point someone said Cryptic explicitly does not have rights to release a Star Trek app for mobile devices, which is why there's no Gateway, even though it would make perfect sense. Well, that and I doubt Cryptic has the skills on-staff necessary for a passable mobile application.

Really, STO is just one of the many marvelously bad Star Trek games that have been released over the past two decades.

Wizard of the Deep fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 3, 2015

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

There's also Star Trek: Alien Domain, a browser based strategy game that I happen to have a bunch promo codes from STLV for, if anyone hates themselves enough to try.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mondian posted:

There's also Star Trek: Alien Domain, a browser based strategy game that I happen to have a bunch promo codes from STLV for, if anyone hates themselves enough to try.

It's less a strategy game and more farmville.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.
Oh I missed dear leader!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wizard of the Deep posted:

In fact, I think at one point someone said Cryptic explicitly does not have rights to release a Star Trek app for mobile devices, which is why there's no Gateway, even though it would make perfect sense. Well, that and I doubt Cryptic has the skills on-staff necessary for a passable mobile application.

Could always just make a responsive webapp- oh wait yeah no skills.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wRo9fdxPII

A video of that torpedo bug I was talking about with the new rep set.

hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
Does this torpedo bug mean a torpedo-focused boat is actually viable now?

• Locked thread