Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Lord Frisk posted:

Plastic? Mine were card stock.

And mine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Frisk posted:

Plastic? Mine were card stock.

Yeah on second inspection they are card, the texturing threw me off :( I had to sleeve it, so it's marginally bigger, but not more unmanageable than a MtG commander deck.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Broken Loose posted:

For those of you in the audience who aren't familiar, Race for the Galaxy is a terrible game, and Eminent Domain does literally everything it does, better.

Have Broken Loose and Rubitex switched roles?

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
My favorite thing about Race for the Galaxy is the 90's era sci fi book cover card art

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

tofes posted:

My favorite thing about Race for the Galaxy is the 90's era sci fi book cover card art

I like the teen wolf alien race on the light blue player cards.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Played Mage Knight for the first time with 3, all newbies and it went about as well as I'm sure this thread could imagine. I couldn't imagine ever playing a full game with more than 2 players tbh and 4 sounds like an absolute nightmare even with people who know what they're doing, and I'm sure we got a million rules wrong

Great game though, can't wait to play again

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Competitive or Co-op? Mage Knight works WAY better co-op.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Some Numbers posted:

My first game, I was the USSR and my opponent conceded under those circumstances.

The problem was, the way he explained it, I thought that the player who caused the DEFCON to hit 1 would lose, so I said "there's no way I'd make that play."

He refused to continue playing, because it was the correct play for me so I had to win.

Yeah, in my experience, 95 times out of a hundred newbies understand it that way unless you specifically point out the interaction (and possibly also explain the concept of Defcon Suicide cards).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Big McHuge posted:

what's the hotel situation at Essen like? Is it something you have to book a year in advance?

Not quite. The hotel I stayed in last year (Hotel Ypsilon, about 10-15 minutes walk from the centre and from the Messe) was completely booked by the second week of May. Last year I didn't even decide to go until August, though, and had no problems. Just don't go expecting to be able to find a room like that *snap*.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Big McHuge posted:

what's the hotel situation at Essen like? Is it something you have to book a year in advance?

Last year I had no problem getting room at the Intercity, this year I missed it by a day and they got fully booked but I easily found space at another place. As long as you don't leave it til the very last minute you'll probably be fine.

Note: This is for hotels near the train station, not near the Messe. I suspect the ones near the Messe will go much more quickly.

EBag
May 18, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What Knizia games have you played? I've become a big fan.

For breezier Knizias, I say definitely try out Lost Cities. Times Square is pretty cool, too. Keltis Neue Wiege is good, sort of a Super Lost Cities Hyper Fighting Ex edition (I imported it). I hear Blue Moon Legends is a bit like Battle Line but with CCG like card powers, I haven't played it though. Loco is another fun little game.

Ingenious is a nice little quick abstract, we played this a ton when we were binging on Lost Cities and Battle Line. Played well at 2p. Through the Desert is another great, elegant abstract. Qin is a little less popular, it seems, but we like it.

Have you played one of his auction games? Some are pretty quick and elegant. I love Ra, great 3p game. Hollywood Blockbuster, Modern Art and Medici are great, too. They are all out of print but I have got used copies for reasonable prices on bgg by subscribing to the sales section for each game. These aren't really 2p games, though.

For non-Kniza games that we might play if we were in the mood to play Battle Line, we'll play Haggis, Piñata (formerly Ballon Cup), Metropolys (this feels like Knizia ghost-designed it), Patchwork

Awesome thanks for the suggestions. The only Knizia game I've played otherwise is the T&E app which I like quite a bit, but probably not with 2 players. Heard a lot of good things about Ra and Modern Art but yah not in print and hard to find, would be great if Fantasy Flight continued with the Knizia reprints and do one of his auction games.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

One thing about Race is I think it would maybe be bad if it was like 2x or more longer. There is a little bit of a fishing/single deck element to it that I think would be bleh if it weren't so easy to shuffle up and deal again after a peak-variance round. It's definitely a game where the better player will win over repeated plays but has some variance in any one play. Good game to play against your gaming arch nemesis over and over

Basically, as variance in a game increases, duration of a game and time to setup/teardown must decrease, such that you can flatten out the variance with a large enough sample of games, at least according to the universal theory of fosbourne

I think it's still too long to spend looking at your hand of unhelpful cards and not drawing any cards you need, but maybe we just play slow.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Tevery Best posted:

Yeah, in my experience, 95 times out of a hundred newbies understand it that way unless you specifically point out the interaction (and possibly also explain the concept of Defcon Suicide cards).

In my opinion, he should have let me keep playing and possibly make the mistake, because actually doing the action and triggering DEFCON would be a really evocative way to remember the rule.

Instead, he kind of soured me on a game I really liked.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

So I got offered a trade on BGG and I wanted to pick the goon hivemind about a couple of potential games:

Ginkgopolis
Macao
Tigris & Euphrates
Glen More
Edo
Yunnan

Any descriptions / opinions would be helpful.

burger time fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 3, 2015

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

burger time posted:

So I got offered a trade on BGG and I wanted to pick the goon hivemind about a couple of potential games:

Ginkgopolis
Macao
Tigris & Euphrates
Glen More
Edo
Yunnan

Any descriptions / opinions would be helpful.

Well I love T&E but it's in print now and the other game on that list I love just as much, Ginkgopolis -- isn't. It's an area majority/card drafting/tile placement/city building/variable player power bag of awesomeness that is a bit of a pain in the rear end to teach but actually very medium weight once you get going. It's by the designer of Troyes. A really loving cool design that throws a lot of mechanically different decisions in your face in a very short period of time (play time is 45-90 min).

I haven't played Glen More or Macao but they're also out of print and pretty well regarded. Edo and Yunnan are supposed to be solid but are very much in print and inexpensive.

What are you trading that he offered Gink/Macao/Glen More? Those all auction for a fair amount these days on BGG.

EBag posted:

Awesome thanks for the suggestions. The only Knizia game I've played otherwise is the T&E app which I like quite a bit, but probably not with 2 players. Heard a lot of good things about Ra and Modern Art but yah not in print and hard to find, would be great if Fantasy Flight continued with the Knizia reprints and do one of his auction games.

There's a Ra (Like New) for $29 on BGG right now: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12/ra

I second fozzy's love of it. It's so easy to teach to newbs too.

e: Actually wait that sale was for an Auction -- bu yeah Ra/Modern Art do go on sale fairly frequently on BGG for a decent price.

de: Modern Art for $19.99 buy it now + shipping on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mayfair-Gam...&_qi=RTM2067268

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 3, 2015

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

T-Bone posted:

Well I love T&E but it's in print now and the other game on that list I love just as much, Ginkgopolis -- isn't. It's an area majority/card drafting/tile placement/city building/variable player power bag of awesomeness that is a bit of a pain in the rear end to teach but actually very medium weight once you get going. It's by the designer of Troyes. A really loving cool design that throws a lot of mechanically different decisions in your face in a very short period of time (play time is 45-90 min).

I haven't played Glen More or Macao but they're also out of print and pretty well regarded. Edo and Yunnan are supposed to be solid but are very much in print and inexpensive.

What are you trading that he offered Gink/Macao/Glen More? Those all auction for a fair amount these days on BGG.

Colosseum - also out of print, and a big grail game for some people. I like it a lot, but I haven't gotten it to the table in a while (too many rules for non-gamers, and gamer tend to be turned off by how the dice/nobles work in it), and there's an "emperor's edition" kickstarter coming at some point in case I want to get it again. I'm not sure if he'd trade for those but they're on his list so I'm gonna try to make an offer.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Glorious people's victory (the peoples being me, mainly) despite having a nasty little bug in the Twilight Struggle interface. When you play a card with your opponent's event on it, it gives you the option to put it into (activate opponent's event first) instead of just the usual slots (place influence, realignment etc.) Not sure why the game has this, when it can just resolve the event as soon as it detects a US card being played during a USSR action round, but whatever. Problem is, after doing this, it automatically assumed I wanted to use the points to start a coup somewhere. I'm surprised and a little dissapointed the game lacks something as basic as a back button for things like that. But, the game's still in Beta so hopefully that all gets fixed (over the next two years if my past experience with Kickstarter projects is prologue)

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

burger time posted:

Glen More

Is it the English or German edition of Glen More? The English edition has been OOP for a while now and is worth 2-3x as much as its imported German counterpart, so watch out.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

EndOfTheWorld posted:

When you play a card with your opponent's event on it, it gives you the option to put it into (activate opponent's event first) instead of just the usual slots (place influence, realignment etc.) Not sure why the game has this, when it can just resolve the event as soon as it detects a US card being played during a USSR action round, but whatever.

When you play a card that has an opponent's event on it, you get to choose whether the event happens before or after your action. The order things happen can be very important.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Jabor posted:

When you play a card that has an opponent's event on it, you get to choose whether the event happens before or after your action. The order things happen can be very important.

Ah! Good to know. I'm glad the game includes that feature, just hopefully they can make the UI a little more user friendly.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Had a get-together at a friends place for Mage Knight today. 4 different games going simultaneously. Tovak seems to dominate pretty hard in co-op, not sure about competitive.

I love MK so much, but I get to play it so rarely that it's frustrating because I forget half the rules between plays. Plus I wasn't planning on having to teach it today, but I had to because the one guy at my table was new. So I was having to focus on my strategy while teaching and answering questions. It was almost a bit much for my brain to process and I was starting to get unreasonably angry at Vlaada (praise be unto him) and his dual rulebooks. We got in nearly two full days/nights in about 4 and a half hours and then called it quits to move onto other things (Code Names).

I was using Krang for the first time and I really felt like I was lagging behind. Part of that was just bad draws a few times (hand full of move cards when I needed to buy, and hand full of influence when I needed to get someplace), and it's entirely possible that I was just playing him poorly.

Also I've noticed that no one ever picks up things from the communal skill pool, or even looks at them. I really think the game just throws so much information at you that you start cutting out bits and pieces to streamline the decision making process.

Code Names continues to be awesome though.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

I picked up Mage Knight for 2 player co-op wizarding and its been good but we've yet to actually win a game. Is the game supposed to be pretty hard?

We've been doing the Blitz Co-op scenario (2 days & nights, 2 cities) and every time it came down to the last city having a thing we just couldn't kill before time ran out. The entire experience has been mostly fun but its incredibly demoralizing when the last round starts and you have a grip of your best attacks but you need to move across a forest and two swamps at night. We have not figured out how to get around or prevent this problem.

also i don't like that the intro scenario was just "explore and find the city" because it kinda trained us to try to find the city(s) asap and its hard to find a balance between doing that and interacting with the map locations

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Danimo posted:

I picked up Mage Knight for 2 player co-op wizarding and its been good but we've yet to actually win a game. Is the game supposed to be pretty hard?

We've been doing the Blitz Co-op scenario (2 days & nights, 2 cities) and every time it came down to the last city having a thing we just couldn't kill before time ran out. The entire experience has been mostly fun but its incredibly demoralizing when the last round starts and you have a grip of your best attacks but you need to move across a forest and two swamps at night. We have not figured out how to get around or prevent this problem.

Some people win in their first game, others take a few. It's not hard like Ghost Stories though, you should be able to start steamrolling the cities without all that many plays.

Pick more movement actions / abilities, and plan your movements better. It's often easier to take a city at the start of a new round than at the end, so try to end the previous round near one if you can. If both players do this, a co-op attack should be very successful on the first or second turn (choose tactics and/or have a player take a turn if they need a better hand).

In Blitz in particular, try Norowas. The extra unit in the offer makes him a bit stronger than in standard conquest.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Anyone have any experience with Glass Road? Having played it a few times I'm enjoying it but it feels like you really need to take all or almost all of the "build a building" workers in the last two or three rounds.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

T-Bone posted:

Glen More is a really solid simple tableau building Euro. I think a lot of people order the German version and do pasteups or something because there's very little text.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Local con this weekend (RinCon, for those of you in the US Southwest). Had to work yesterday evening, but today I got the chance to get in some games.

A) Galaxy Trucker - Brought my copy, and I've played three times thusfar. It's still Galaxy Trucker. First was a teaching game with an enthusiastic audience. Second was a teaching game for a...less enthusiastic audience, the kind of folks who still regularly choose to play Splendor.

Third game was with some slightly experienced players, and I finally got to break out some of the expansion boards--1A, 2A, 3B. 1A (cursed/variable ship) and 3B (amoeba ship) were cute building challenges, but nothing to write home about--I already assume that every meteor/cannon shot is gonna hit me, and I've played enough 3A to know how to build around mid-ship holes. 2A (the twin ships) however, were a nightmare. The ships are so goddamn tiny, you can barely fit the necessities, and you're almost guaranteed to be festooned with exposed pipes. I highly recommend 2A.

B) Forbidden Stars - First time playing, I can see the appeal. I love the dice comabt system--there are no "bad rolls." Each die face shows either an attack symbol (3), a defense symbol (2), or a morale symbol (1). You make one roll at the start of the engagement, then you keep that same roll through three rounds of combat, playing cards from your hand to add or modify symbols. After those three rounds, if one side isn't eliminated, most morale symbols wins.

Also love the order-placement system, since it forces you to play your late-turn orders first before your early-turn ones, giving you a lot to plan around or disrupt.

Of course, other people have already mentioned that combat causes two people to sit out each round. But the biggest negative to me was component quality. The copy we were using had 10+ plays, and the order tokens backs were starting to fade and become marked. So that's a concern.

C) Mafia de Cuba - Social deduction game for 6-12 with special roles and no player elimination. The Mafia Don has a cigar box that he seeds with a few special role chits and 10-15 diamonds, and then passes the box around the table. When you get the box, you have to take and pocked either a role chit or some number of diamonds, then pass it on. After the pass-around, the Don starts interrogating players to try and suss out all the diamond thieves--"How many diamonds did YOU see when you opened the box?" et cetera.

I enjoyed it, but I'm kinda poo poo at social deduction games other than BSG, so my opinion isn't worth much. There was one aspect I really liked, however: While the Don and his Loyalists all win or lose together, the thieves win or lose individually. If the Don screws up his guess, only the uncaught thief with the most diamonds can claim victory. This reverses the dynamics from the traitors in The Resistance, because the thieves have a lot of incentive to throw each other under the bus, and no incentive to jump on the grenade themselves.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Gutter Owl posted:

less enthusiastic audience, the kind of folks who still regularly choose to play Splendor.

whats wrong with that?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Machai posted:

whats wrong with that?

Splendor is a mediocre at best game that is massively helped by how satisfying it is to play with the chips.

However, the designer's newest game, Barony, is excellent. orders of magnitude better than Splendor.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Malloreon posted:

Splendor is a mediocre at best game that is massively helped by how satisfying it is to play with the chips.

However, the designer's newest game, Barony, is excellent. orders of magnitude better than Splendor.

my friends dont like barony :(

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I like the idea of creating a deck, CCG style, but I hate spending a lot of money. Does anyone have any suggestions about which older CCGs it could be worth buying a ton of to have a pool that I could share with my buddies?
I've already tried and don't really like Magic, but a cube could be an option.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Electric Hobo posted:

I like the idea of creating a deck, CCG style, but I hate spending a lot of money. Does anyone have any suggestions about which older CCGs it could be worth buying a ton of to have a pool that I could share with my buddies?

I don't actually know what your budget is, but have you looked at the FFG LCGs? They're probably more expensive compared to standard board games, but are nothing compared to Magic. I think all of Netrunner right now costs less than a tournament quality Magic deck. A Game of Thrones 2nd Edition is launching next week, so you can get in on the ground floor of that, and there are 8 distinct factions for you and your friends to split up. Note that I think 3 core sets only does let you make 2 full decks (since there are some cards you kinda want in every deck), but you can also proxy those with, say, MTG lands if you have card sleeves with opaque backs.

I'm sure you can also just buy a ton of Magic commons for a pittance.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
Been a while since I played Mage Knight, so I played two solo games of Volkares Return. Both times he got to the city before me. I don't remember this ever being an issue. Either I have gotten sloppy, or I am doing something wrong with the scenario.....

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't actually know what your budget is, but have you looked at the FFG LCGs? They're probably more expensive compared to standard board games, but are nothing compared to Magic. I think all of Netrunner right now costs less than a tournament quality Magic deck. A Game of Thrones 2nd Edition is launching next week, so you can get in on the ground floor of that, and there are 8 distinct factions for you and your friends to split up. Note that I think 3 core sets only does let you make 2 full decks (since there are some cards you kinda want in every deck), but you can also proxy those with, say, MTG lands if you have card sleeves with opaque backs.

I'm sure you can also just buy a ton of Magic commons for a pittance.

Yeah, I've looked at the LCGs, and I played Netrunner for a while. My problem with them is that everybody still needs to buy at quite a few boxes, or use lots and lots of proxies.
I'd much prefer picking up some guy's old collection and share the cards with my friends. Right now, I'm really just trying to figure out what older games that would be worthwhile since there seems to be a million of them that popped up after Magic.
A big-rear end common/uncommon Magic cube has the advantage of playing 5-8 in a draft format, which I think is the bet option that I know of.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

lordsummerisle posted:

Been a while since I played Mage Knight, so I played two solo games of Volkares Return. Both times he got to the city before me. I don't remember this ever being an issue. Either I have gotten sloppy, or I am doing something wrong with the scenario.....

He gets more turns when you solo, and you have less control over where the city appears. The race is a little tighter when it's just you.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013

OmegaGoo posted:

He gets more turns when you solo, and you have less control over where the city appears. The race is a little tighter when it's just you.

I think I got into my Solo Conquest routine of aiming for revealing core tiles as soon as possible, so that I could get some juicy Elite Units. Both games, Volkare was conquering the city on Night 2. Should I just stay back a bit in the start and grindt he early tiles?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Electric Hobo posted:

7th Sea was my favorite CCG ever and I think you can pick up boxes of it pretty drat cheap.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

lordsummerisle posted:

I think I got into my Solo Conquest routine of aiming for revealing core tiles as soon as possible, so that I could get some juicy Elite Units. Both games, Volkare was conquering the city on Night 2. Should I just stay back a bit in the start and grindt he early tiles?

Oh yeah, careful with that. With Volkare, you want to make sure the city is as far away from him as possible when it's revealed so you have enough time to take the city then recover.

Mind you, I've only done Volkare twice, but they only way I managed it once was with Altem Mages + Flame Wave.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
I played Tanto Cuore.
Aside from the art it was just Dominion with a weird twist that we completely failed to comprehend the rules of [Chambermaids.]

But boy is it some art.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The 'highschooler's deviantart account' look of the one on the left gives the overall creepiness of the whole a certain je ne sais quoi.

Told this story before but some goony looking guy came to one of our meetups with a pony shirt and tanto cuore under his arm.

First impression best impression :wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

I played Tanto Cuore.
Aside from the art it was just Dominion with a weird twist that we completely failed to comprehend the rules of [Chambermaids.]

But boy is it some art.

Legit hate anyone that buys and plays poo poo like this. Creepy as gently caress.