Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

tithin posted:

Turns out the shooting in Parramatta was by a 15 year old "radicalised middle eastern teen" according to Miranda Devine.

According to the ABC. She's not making it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Anidav posted:

I wonder what Turdball will say.

The same script everyone follows when these things happen. Even Abbott was professional and reserved during the Lindt Cafe siege.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

What a perfect circle, demonise them, get hysterical about browns, and yay we have an event to ratchet up the fear and hate, guess where:

quote:

What about if someone of a particular nationality commits a crime, should we start a campaign against all from his country of origin?

If it happens with incredible frequency and with loss of life each time then yes.

quote:

So then: Libertarian Turnbull jailed and then deported an awful rightwing extremist Christian on the same day that an an underprivilegedIraqi migrant launched a terrorist attack in the name of Allah. lashed out at his racist oppressors .

Turnbulls response following the attack (he moves to protect extremists): ‘”We must not vilify the Muslim community for the actions of a very small percentage of violent extremist individuals” – @TurnbullMalcom’

Along with many virgin jokes and multicultural dogwhistling of course. They're happy this is happening, it validates them.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
https://twitter.com/nazeem_hussain/status/649951871495307264

https://twitter.com/MariamVeiszadeh/status/650046821482434560

Turns out all you need to do is be Muslim with a little bit of a profile, no matter what you do, and the media will ask you if you knew the gunman. They've called a comedian and a lawyer for fucks sake. Burn this country to the ground.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

ewe2 posted:

What a perfect circle, demonise them, get hysterical about browns, and yay we have an event to ratchet up the fear and hate, guess where:

Along with many virgin jokes and multicultural dogwhistling of course. They're happy this is happening, it validates them.

Zacky Mallah was right.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Birb Katter posted:

https://twitter.com/nazeem_hussain/status/649951871495307264

https://twitter.com/MariamVeiszadeh/status/650046821482434560

Turns out all you need to do is be Muslim with a little bit of a profile, no matter what you do, and the media will ask you if you knew the gunman. They've called a comedian and a lawyer for fucks sake. Burn this country to the ground.

gently caress australia

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
There's a secret Muslim club where they all know each other behind the scenes.

Good to know, Channel 7

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
"This gunman, we have very little information on this man what we can tell you is that he's a 15yo boy"

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Anidav posted:

There's a secret Muslim club where they all know each other behind the scenes.

"We talk, Larry" - black man to Larry David, Curb your Enthusiasm, when asked how the man knew about David's previous racial faux pas.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
How the gently caress did a 15 year old kid get a gun? Sigh.

Ahh Yes
Nov 16, 2004
>_>
If only they had guns, then they could have stopped the shooter from killing anyone!

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hashhag ‏@vviivviieennnne 5h5 hours ago
@nazeem_hussain How about not trying to raise your profile with this tragedy. We get it- your Muslim. And to most of us it's irrelevant.

ILoveAus2 ‏@ILoveAus2 3h3 hours ago
Misinformed @MariamVeiszadeh plays the the 'race card'.
"I didn't go asking my white friends if they knew who #OregonShooting gunman was"

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

QUACKTASTIC posted:

hashhag ‏@vviivviieennnne 5h5 hours ago
@nazeem_hussain How about not trying to raise your profile with this tragedy. We get it- your Muslim. And to most of us it's irrelevant.

ILoveAus2 ‏@ILoveAus2 3h3 hours ago
Misinformed @MariamVeiszadeh plays the the 'race card'.
"I didn't go asking my white friends if they knew who #OregonShooting gunman was"

Burn it all down

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Australia had a good run. *pulls down giant lever*

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Poor Tony

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Mr Newman on the media, as quoted to Mr King

"I am particularly annoyed at the journalists who covered the state election campaign [2011-12] and our time in parliament. Very few of them are interested in what really has to be done.  They are not interested in Government or reform or the reasons behind the decisions we made.  They are only interested in the tactical, the here and now, they only ever look for short-term politics and gossip.  And they have got a nerve to ridicule people like me who tried actually get things done.  And they have always ridiculed and sneered.  They have never actually given any benefit of the doubt or been prepared to see the big picture.  Their position on every story is that we are idiots, or we're corrupt, or we are doing this out of self-interest.  They have no way of divorcing themselves from their inherently negative bias."

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I can't resist another catallaxy quote. This is probably the most structured of the hysterical comments today:

quote:

“So how do you propose we punish these people collectively responsible for these crimes in Australia?

Do we collectively prosecute them? Lock them all up, every last one? Deport every muslim in Australia?”

This is what needs to be done Lem. Not punish but manage;

1) Stop all moslem immigration.
2) Any hint of radicalism is met with immediate cutting off of Govt benefits to the culprit and immediate family.
3) ALL Islamic literature must be translated to English.
4) ALL Islamic preaching in English.
5) Cease the building of mosques. No more mosques.
6) ALL Islamic websites to be banned unless they are in English. ALL Islamic websites to be strictly monitored and be blocked if inciting violence or unrest.
7) Deport all moslems currently in Australia who are on some kind of visa. Similarly, any dual national moslem convicted of violent crime should be immediately deported.

Moslems and Islam must be managed if we are to feel safe having them here. Also, moslems must be made to accept that their barborous religion is only acceptable when they are subjected to sensible scrutiny.

We need to manage them, manage them good. Just like we're doing with those drat reffos. Imagine trying to do this with Asians or Greeks or Italians.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

ewe2 posted:

I can't resist another catallaxy quote. This is probably the most structured of the hysterical comments today:

We need to manage them, manage them good. Just like we're doing with those drat reffos. Imagine trying to do this with Asians or Greeks or Italians.

We have a word filter for certain gendered insults and occasionally words that are overused for trolling. We do this to encourage a safe space so some of us can shelter from the rape and domestic violence culture we are surrounded by. We do not apologize for this and will not change it, so don't bother complaining, try being an adult occasionally. And don't try playing us off each other, that's particularly juvenile. If you don't like it, go away, we will not miss you. A bot will also kick for repeating phrases and flooding and sundry words for the fun of the discovery. A ban of a day for the worst words is now standard, to encourage your self-discipline. Please also avoid offensive fake user@hosts, you will be banned until you change them if you want to participate. This became necessary after certain abuses. In a perfect world none of this would be necessary but it isn't, deal with it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Fine, I'll bite Wizard Master - why so salty?

The Peccadillo posted:

Andrew Leigh won't respond to my emails, I really want to know how we dispose of dead asylum seekers

I'm going to give Get Up an email and see if I can't find out who I can bother about this.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'm going to give Get Up an email and see if I can't find out who I can bother about this.

Are you guys sure this isnt just fanfic? /r/nosleep?

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Gorilla Salad posted:

Fine, I'll bite Wizard Master - why so salty?

jfc, calm down, i'll get an answer by the end of the weekend (maybe if i end up going to the pub tonight)

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
This is how you de-radicalise people.

The killing of a completely unsuspecting police employee is pointless and there can never be any justification. So what about all the completely unsuspecting civilians killed by our armed forces? If we were to take up an accounting of it I think the scales would tip irrevocably against us.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Memento posted:

Where the gently caress do these people come from? What sort of loving child-abuse upbringing do you have to be subjected to that you think killing someone for performing a medical procedure is a good thing?

This is from the end of the last thread, but it's calling it a 'medical procedure' which illustrates the lack of understanding of the issue. It's like calling offshore detention an 'immigration procedure'. That doesn't mean that what it actually entails isn't potentially objectionable. In this case, they're talking about the termination of human foetuses. In their view, life begins at conception. While admittedly debatable, it's not arbitrary or indefensible. Where do you think it begins? At what point would you stop allowing abortions? 14 weeks? 22 weeks? 28 weeks? Full term? Unless it's full term there's a line there somewhere, so what consequences should there be for the parties involved if they cross the line?
In the mind of these people the line is at conception, and crossing it is the most serious crime, the literal murder of society's most pure and defenceless beings, so calling for the most serious punishment is not logically inconsistent, or even surprising.

I guess what I'm saying is you'd do well to try a bit harder to understand where people are coming from.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

EvilElmo posted:

Are you guys sure this isnt just fanfic? /r/nosleep?

This is the article from last year which first revealed what was happening:

Royal Australian Navy personnel open up about trauma of seeing asylum seekers die at sea

It's been 10 months since then and there's been nothing since. Yes, you could well argue that it's all a fever dream. But the government never denied what was in that article and have a death grip on information regarding refugees arriving by sea. And we know they're still arriving.

So, people are coming, the navy is being told to ignore them and people are dying.

Dude McAwesome posted:

jfc, calm down, i'll get an answer by the end of the weekend (maybe if i end up going to the pub tonight)

No, it's okay. I'm really not trying to rush you. After The Peccadillo posted he had gone and asked Andrew Leigh about this I thought the least I could do would be to get of my arse and do something myself.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Hobo Erotica posted:

This is from the end of the last thread, but it's calling it a 'medical procedure' which illustrates the lack of understanding of the issue. It's like calling offshore detention an 'immigration procedure'. That doesn't mean that what it actually entails isn't potentially objectionable. In this case, they're talking about the termination of human foetuses. In their view, life begins at conception. While admittedly debatable, it's not arbitrary or indefensible. Where do you think it begins? At what point would you stop allowing abortions? 14 weeks? 22 weeks? 28 weeks? Full term? Unless it's full term there's a line there somewhere, so what consequences should there be for the parties involved if they cross the line?
In the mind of these people the line is at conception, and crossing it is the most serious crime, the literal murder of society's most pure and defenceless beings, so calling for the most serious punishment is not logically inconsistent, or even surprising.

I guess what I'm saying is you'd do well to try a bit harder to understand where people are coming from.

They come from a garbage town deep in an uninhabitable wasteland.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Solemn Sloth posted:

They come from a garbage town deep in an uninhabitable wasteland.

ur a garbage town

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Hobo Erotica posted:

Agreed.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i secretly have reservations about abortion and think many advocates of it have not arrived at their position through cogent moral reasoning imo lmbo

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I don't have the slightest reservations about abortion whatsoever. I am perfectly fine with late term abortion purely at the mother's discretion.

But I don't believe the voices anti-abortionists should be suppressed, either.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Orkin Mang posted:

i secretly have reservations about abortion and think many advocates of it have not arrived at their position through cogent moral reasoning imo lmbo

imo ur dumb lmbo

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

This is the article from last year which first revealed what was happening:

Royal Australian Navy personnel open up about trauma of seeing asylum seekers die at sea

It's been 10 months since then and there's been nothing since. Yes, you could well argue that it's all a fever dream. But the government never denied what was in that article and have a death grip on information regarding refugees arriving by sea. And we know they're still arriving.

So, people are coming, the navy is being told to ignore them and people are dying.

Thanks for the context.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Cartoon posted:

Maybe the US is onto something here - if we just kill every human being, there will be no more radicals. Something to keep in the back of our minds as a fallback option at least.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Cartoon posted:

The killing of a completely unsuspecting police employee is pointless and there can never be any justification. So what about all the completely unsuspecting civilians killed by our armed forces? If we were to take up an accounting of it I think the scales would tip irrevocably against us.

Bombing their hospitals before they can bomb ours.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Hobo Erotica posted:

Yeah, I'm totally pro-choice and always have been, but I don't find it particularly hard to understand why anti-abortion activists feel the way they do. It's not like stuff like gay marriage or racism where I can't even remotely begin to fathom how people cultivate such a frothing hatred. Abortion is an uncomfortable and unpleasant necessity.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Cartoon posted:

MSF are officially saying 9 dead now.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Canberra golf courses warn ACT Government water prices could force closures

quote:

Golf courses across the territory have called on the ACT Government to reduce the price of water to the same level as what clubs pay in New South Wales.

Murrumbidgee Country Club president Ron Shepherd said with Canberra predicted to be heading into a long, dry summer, the price of water had become even more critical.

"For over 20 years, our club in particular, Murrumbidgee, has been held to ransom by annual drought," he said.

gonna need a bigger :qq:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Uh I think the salt in tears would still kill the plants, and harvesting human tears is really inefficient anyway.

What I'm saying is it's a great idea and you should write your local MP about it.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Yes but golf courses are pretty to look at.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
why is a crime committed by a juvenile being treated as terrorism instead of a mental health and gun control problem its so dumb

e: gently caress my keyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Negligent posted:

why is a crime committed by a juvenile being treated as terrorism instead of a mental health and gun control problem its so dumb

e: gently caress my keyboard

Because he is middle eastern

• Locked thread