Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Lockback posted:

I haven't gotten around to myCareer yet, but thats usually the worst place to start for new players. Playing as a team is a much better way to getting used to controls.

In muCareer you start as a rookie, which in the NBA is usually a bad player. Play in modes where you are not a bad player for a little while to learn the game.

I disagree. I feel it's much to easy to cheese things on defense when you know you can just switch to your big and block the poo poo out of the man that just burned you. When live was down I did "Play Now" the warriors kept isoing Curry on Irving. I'd let him go by, switch to Mosgod and block his lay up into the bleachers. I did that about 4 plays in a row. No skill required.

Being a bad player only makes the game slightly more difficult but you can still work around that and learn how to set screens, call for screens, post up, pass out of post, and play proper defense.

*EDIT*
Just realized I said bad "player". Player refers to the in game player not actual player.

TJChap2840 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Is there/what is the trick to finishing alley oop dunks? In my player I'm calling for them with double tapping triangle, but then I try and hit square when I catch but then just land with the ball.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

zelah posted:

Is there/what is the trick to finishing alley oop dunks? In my player I'm calling for them with double tapping triangle, but then I try and hit square when I catch but then just land with the ball.

Doesn't just calling for an oop and getting the pass automatically make you dunk it?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
No, you actually have to finish now using the shoot button or right stick.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

zelah posted:

Try holding the right thumbstick in a direction instead, I find it easier than trying to time the button press.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I'm pretty sure you can just hold the button the moment you take off for the alley oop, you don't really have to time it. As soon as you see the pass go and your guy moves for it just hold shoot.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Iphone app broken for anyone else? I try to login on the Sony website and the screen just freezes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
gently caress. The whole beginning of my career is unskippable.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I just became a starter in my second year and my player said he was waiting to hear what Vic had to say about it

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Holyshoot posted:

Also how do I bounce pass to a guy I made do a pick and then he ran to the basket? I hit square and move the left stick towards him and it just throws the ball to my point guard.

This poo poo is ridiculous, I rack up about 4 turnovers from this garbage, I have the directional passing on too

I'm so disappointed in this years edition, nearly all the frustrating annoyances have not been changed, it's unbelievably lazy, I'd rather skip any semblance of story so I don't have to watch my player crossover into the defenders foot every loving game.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Inside Outside posted:

FWIW, I used a slider set I found on Operation Sports the other night and had way more fun than I'd been having with the default simulation set. I didn't have to spend five minutes before the game setting up all my individual defensive settings either, though I did adjust Tony Parker's after he scorched me on 12/16 shooting. Post adjustment, he missed his next ten shots. It also helped me keep the PIP down to a reasonable 34. One thing to note is that the guy who made these sliders suggested putting the difficulty to Pro, which is way too low, but they still seemed to work fine when I played on All-Star last night.

Love that guys sliders. But im actually finding this year's set on stimulating pretty realistic on 7 min quarters. Haven't felt the immediate urge to adjust things for once

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It's really frustrating that this game still suffers from the 'you are gonna lose this game no matter how well you play' problem 2k15 had.

I just had a 21/20/6/9 blocks game and we lost by 2 in overtime to the goddamn sixers.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well
So they've patched the PC version. No change log, but they did break the play calling icons so they don't appear when using LB, so there's that. Also apparently the coach is now stuck on auto settings (subs and timeouts) even if you have that stuff set to manual, though I've not confirmed that one myself.

Also, does 2KTV work for anyone else on PC? It worked for like the first two days and ever since it's been unavailable.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Elenkis posted:

So they've patched the PC version. No change log, but they did break the play calling icons so they don't appear when using LB, so there's that. Also apparently the coach is now stuck on auto settings (subs and timeouts) even if you have that stuff set to manual, though I've not confirmed that one myself.

Also, does 2KTV work for anyone else on PC? It worked for like the first two days and ever since it's been unavailable.

The PC patch was a couple days ago for me and didn't really change anything, so I don't know what to say.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

hopterque posted:

The PC patch was a couple days ago for me and didn't really change anything, so I don't know what to say.

Do the icons show up when you tap LB or hold Y/B? It's not like I'm alone, there's a 6 page thread about the patch on the Op Sports forums and most of the posts are reporting the missing icons. It worked fine before the patch.

NuclearWinterUK fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Oct 4, 2015

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

why do i have to sit through time outs and poo poo basketball is slow enough as it is

i hate feeling like i have to puppeteer each individual limb idc about the animations lining up i just want my guy to go where i tell him when i want

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 4, 2015

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

epitasis posted:

why do i have to sit through time outs and poo poo basketball is slow enough as it is

i hate feeling like i have to puppeteer each individual limb idc about the animations lining up i just want my guy to go where i tell him when i want

Everything in this post is how I feel about the game right now.

More so when I am having a bad game.

Time outs, half times, all the animations during practices.

When it's time to do any shooting, passing, dribbling animations just seem to gently caress me over.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

epitasis posted:

Nothing better than your team conceding a basket, then some random teammate throwing you the ball to make the inbound pass, except you're nearly halfway down the court so you have to lope down the court to make the inbound while the other team sets up defense ruining any chance of a fastbreak. Same old poo poo, it's happened for years, this game is trash.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Anyone know how to look at players organizational roles in MYGM? I really dislike the new menus. poo poo is more confusing this year to me

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I played with friends last night passing the sticks around and had the best games. It just reminded this game isn't fun playing online or the CPU. We agreed this is way better than last year and flows much easier. Only problem is opposing big men getting back faster than the team that just scored at times.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Is there anything I have to turn off so Klay Thompson doesn't get matched up against Lebron, Durant or Tony Parker every time, even if I specify who guards who at the start of the game? It's hella annoying.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Klay is actually a really good defender though.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Yeah, but I still want Iggy on Lebron or Durant, and that's like 90% of the teams you play online.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Illinois Smith posted:

Is there anything I have to turn off so Klay Thompson doesn't get matched up against Lebron, Durant or Tony Parker every time, even if I specify who guards who at the start of the game? It's hella annoying.

in defensive matchups you can name a player who gets preference. Is that what you want?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Lockback posted:

in defensive matchups you can name a player who gets preference. Is that what you want?
No, before the game I specifically put in that Lebron's guarded by Iggy and the game still puts Klay on him. With some teams it automatically switches him on the PG too, like against SA he always guards Parker no matter what I do.

I figured it was some new feature that handles matchups for your best defenders or something.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 5, 2015

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

the_american_dream posted:

Anyone know how to look at players organizational roles in MYGM? I really dislike the new menus. poo poo is more confusing this year to me

anybody at all? Glum?

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Also since I cant shoot I havent tried yet but can anyone confirm Mo Williams has Godfather music on 3s? That would be awesome

He does not :mad: and also goggles seem to be gone. I hate this years version :smith:

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

anybody at all? Glum?

I think in coach settings you can turn off AI coach adjustments or something to that tune

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I think that was it, thanks.

My new online team is the Pistons, they're tier 3 but Reggie Jackson is a goddamn monster in this game. Does anyone know when you start unlocking classic teams? I'm on Junior College right now.

Also just played my first game this year against a guy whose strategy was bombing 60% of his shots from behind the arc. That was sad. I guess changing the online sliders to superstar sim was meant to weed out these guys but 2K went way overboard.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Oct 6, 2015

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Illinois Smith posted:

I think that was it, thanks.

My new online team is the Pistons, they're tier 3 but Reggie Jackson is a goddamn monster in this game. Does anyone know when you start unlocking classic teams? I'm on Junior College right now.

Also just played my first game this year against a guy whose strategy was bombing 60% of his shots from behind the arc. That was sad. I guess changing the online sliders to superstar sim was meant to weed out these guys but 2K went way overboard.

He made 60% of his shots or 60% of his total shots were 3s? Did that strategy work for him?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Oh no, he made about two of them.

There were tons of guys online doing Steph Curry impressions the last two years but this year 3-pointers are way harder and finishing at the rim is way easier.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

The Duggler posted:

I think in coach settings you can turn off AI coach adjustments or something to that tune

Thanks but I'm actually looking for where you set player roles. They did a tutorial on what each one means (mentor, superstar/building block) but i can't find where they actually are to set them for the players.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

MyTeam is ridiculous and I think I've given up on it. I can't even beat the drat Lakers. My one on one defense is so bad in this game that I just switch off to whoever is standing in the corner but Russell can just do any kind of shimmy move he wants and it's a layup. Meanwhile it's impossible to drive around a guy in this game. I've never thrown a controller before but this game has made me want to do it about 50 times

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

BIZORT posted:

MyTeam is ridiculous and I think I've given up on it. I can't even beat the drat Lakers. My one on one defense is so bad in this game that I just switch off to whoever is standing in the corner but Russell can just do any kind of shimmy move he wants and it's a layup. Meanwhile it's impossible to drive around a guy in this game. I've never thrown a controller before but this game has made me want to do it about 50 times

What does your lineup look like? You can use any quality player in domination.

You can unlock some gold players through MyCareer, and use the VC you gain there to open packs of players. Never use your MT to open packs, save it for getting stuff off the auction house.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

BIZORT posted:

The most important thing in domination is to control the paint, so play as your center or power forward and contest every shot that goes inside and box out for every rebound and turn those into fast breaks.

I just beat historic domination, the last team is insane, the only player below 90 rated is John Stockton and there's like 5 96+ players.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Thanks for the tips. I have two gold players and three silvers in my starting lineup, with two silvers on the bench. Every other game I lose a starter to injury, though, which is also ridiculous.

I can get points in domination. That's not the problem at all. My problem is actually loving winning the games

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

If you're having trouble staying in front of guys, try to deny them the middle of the floor and let them go towards the baseline, if you have decent bigs they won't be very successful there

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

My final starters, Durant and AD I pulled from packs.

Pack luck is pretty good this year, I've been spending most of my match reward/collection reward money on packs but in like 30-35 packs or so I've packed the aforementioned, and Kawhi leonard, klay thompson, kevin love twice, john wall twice, jimmy butler, lots of good players.

Every 3-4 packs has given me a gold or better player on average I think, and if I sold all the players I've packed I'd be up 3-4 times what I spent buying them.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Everything about myTeam seems like it would be right up my alley, but execution of it just leaves me unhappy and I rarely go back to it. They need a mode where you can grind against similar-constructed teams, even if the payout isn't that hot. The Show lets you play against other players teams that are CPU controlled, and that seems like it would be tons of fun here.

I know getting more Golds in my team isn't hard with packs, but I sorta want to roll with my Bronze dudes and grow gradually. But the frickin 76ers have a team that is objectively better than mine in like 8 of the top 10 players, and that's pretty frustrating. I had the same complaint last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Anyone else's nba2k16 iphone app not working with the sign in? I click sign in for the PSN and it goes to the login page and I can't click anything. Worked the first day but not anymore.

• Locked thread