Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

They're not even pretending

No, I mean more specifically. Like, which rebel groups have reported casualties and how closely tied are they to America?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The head of coalition forces in Afghanistan has said sorry about bombing the hospital, so that's OK now.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Brown Moses posted:

Russia bombs Latamina, claims they're bombing ISIS even though there's non ISIS within 100km of Latamina

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiA0JUdWR6M

Then they bomb the same location again, but calls it Raqqa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7fqew26a1A

And SANA posts the video calling the location Jisr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSoO0ILb2-4

So that location is in Latamina, right?

As in, I get that they're all of the same place, but do we know where that place is?

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cat Mattress posted:

From what a Syrian ambassador said in an interview, the Russians targets for their airstrikes are provided by Syrian intelligence. So there isn't any surprise to be had in the fact that all the Daesh targets the Russians bomb are, in fact, not actually Daesh.

You keep using the word fact for what appears to be a poorly substantiated generalization

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Darth Walrus posted:

So that location is in Latamina, right?

As in, I get that they're all of the same place, but do we know where that place is?

Yeah, we know exactly where is it, right here. Each video shows the same location, just Russia wants everyone to think it's Raqqa.

And I've just been sent another example, this is claimed to be just outside of Raqqa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4vKPygn-ok

Turns out it's 160 miles to the west

Where there's not an ISIS member in sight.

Chewbacca Defense
Sep 6, 2009

High speed, low drag.
You really have to admire the confidence in which Russia blatantly lies about stuff. It's almost as good as the conspiracy nuts who believe the crazy conspiracies, and don't question Russia, who is actually doing the things that they accuse the US of doing in terms of false flags and covering up shooting down airliners.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Getting a lot of 'well, they're not bombing ISIS, but they're bombing al-Qa'eda, so why is this a big deal?'. Any counterevidence to that?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Mikojan posted:

I strongly refuse to believe any western nation (apart from maybe Israel) would knowingly bomb hospitals to swat a few insurgents.

Why

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

because it's super embarassing and counterproductive

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

What are the options for the US in Afghanistan, anyway? Do people think the US should withdraw support from the government in Kabul?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Flavahbeast posted:

because it's super embarassing and counterproductive

I mean, it is a war in Afghanistan, so...

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

lmaoboy1998 posted:

Obviously we'd all prefer 30 people hadn't died. But given they have, it would be better if just one of them were an American. Or else this won't effect the debate in the US at all. You know that this is true.

As for what to learn from this episode, how about that its a war crime to bomb hospitals, and that its an especially atrocious crime to bomb the only functional hospital in a vast warzone? That wiping out a few 19 year old insurgents with RPGs doesn't morally excuse murdering 30 doctors? I'm guessing half of your country and all of your government will defend the military's behaviour, if it's widely discussed at all, so yeah I'd say there's a few lessons to be learnt here.

It isn't necessarily a war crime to target a hospital, but it's a pretty big legal barrier. Generally the rule of thumb is that the damage to the hospital must not be excessive in view of the direct and concrete advantages to be gained from attacking said target.

But that just refers to damage to the building and like I said, it requires some fairly inflexible legal requirements that would not have been followed in this case. It sounds more and more like this was a completely tragic mistake. I hope we find out more soon.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

The Iron Rose posted:

It isn't necessarily a war crime to target a hospital, but it's a pretty big legal barrier. Generally the rule of thumb is that the damage to the hospital must not be excessive in view of the direct and concrete advantages to be gained from attacking said target.

But that just refers to damage to the building and like I said, it requires some fairly inflexible legal requirements that would not have been followed in this case. It sounds more and more like this was a completely tragic mistake. I hope we find out more soon.

No, targeting a hospital is always a war crime. You are talking about the concept of proportionality, but hospitals are protected by the Geneva convention.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Svartvit posted:

No, targeting a hospital is always a war crime. You are talking about the concept of proportionality, but hospitals are protected by the Geneva convention.

Targeting is the key point though. Accidents aren't war crimes.

Chewbacca Defense
Sep 6, 2009

High speed, low drag.

Svartvit posted:

A hospital can lose it's protected status if it is being used for a military purpose i.e. placing an anti-aircraft gun on top of it, etc.

And lol at anyone who thinks the US would knowingly target a protected civilian structure intentionally. The fact of the matter is the US does more to prevent civilian casualties than any other country. The vast majority of the time that civilians are killed it's due to the fact that the US's enemies would rather sacrifice their families than fight according to the rules of war.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Murgos posted:

Targeting is the key point though. Accidents aren't war crimes.

They can be if they are shown to be the result of negligence.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Svartvit posted:

Not quite: (emphasis mine)

quote:

International humanitarian law is not, however, completely inflexible in how it evaluates collateral damage to hospitals that may result from attacks on legitimate military targets nearby. The rule of thumb is that if the damage to the hospital is not excessive in view of the direct and concrete military advantages to be gained from attacking the nearby target, then the damage may be considered lawful.

To go back to that hot day in El Salvador nine years ago. I clambered into my beat-up Mitsubishi Montero Jeep and took off down the road for Zacatecoluca. I will never forget the shock I felt when, without warning, a huge explosion erupted from what seemed like only two inches from my right ear. Temporarily deafened, I recovered my other senses enough to realize that an army artillery piece had just been fired from about twenty-five yards away; the Salvadoran military was pouring shells into the hills around Zacatecoluca, in a desultory attempt to deal with the retreating guerrillas.

When I reached the town, I made immediately for the large, modern public hospital not far from the main square. Once inside, I did indeed find that the pediatric ward had been blown to smithereens. Windows were broken, the elevator destroyed, bits of bedding lay strewn about on the floor. And the hospital personnel confirmed to us that the damage had been caused when a guerrilla unit detonated a large bomb in the ward.

End of story? Not quite. The destruction was heavy, but not entirely wanton. There had been heavy fighting that day between the army and the guerrillas. Neither side occupied the hospital or attempted to do so, but as the fighting raged among the narrow cobblestoned streets of the town, a few Salvadoran Army soldiers had become separated from their unit and attempted to flee onto the roof of the hospital. The FMLN forces cornered the government soldiers, and, in an attempt to flush them out, decided to detonate an explosive charge in the pediatric ward, the spot nearest to the soldiers’ rooftop hideout.

Hence, two crucial legal questions arise: First, were the soldiers a legitimate target for the FMLN? Almost certainly yes. (It could even be argued that the hospital lost its protected status because the soldiers chose to hide themselves there, but their flight onto the hospital roof seemed less calculated than a decision made amid the heat and panic of battle, with no cooperation from the hospital staff, and it would seem perverse to make the hospital pay for that.)

International humanitarian law is not, however, completely inflexible in how it evaluates collateral damage to hospitals that may result from attacks on legitimate military targets nearby. The rule of thumb is that if the damage to the hospital is not excessive in view of the direct and concrete military advantages to be gained from attacking the nearby target, then the damage may be considered lawful.

To go back to that hot day in El Salvador nine years ago. I clambered into my beat-up Mitsubishi Montero Jeep and took off down the road for Zacatecoluca. I will never forget the shock I felt when, without warning, a huge explosion erupted from what seemed like only two inches from my right ear. Temporarily deafened, I recovered my other senses enough to realize that an army artillery piece had just been fired from about twenty-five yards away; the Salvadoran military was pouring shells into the hills around Zacatecoluca, in a desultory attempt to deal with the retreating guerrillas.

When I reached the town, I made immediately for the large, modern public hospital not far from the main square. Once inside, I did indeed find that the pediatric ward had been blown to smithereens. Windows were broken, the elevator destroyed, bits of bedding lay strewn about on the floor. And the hospital personnel confirmed to us that the damage had been caused when a guerrilla unit detonated a large bomb in the ward.

End of story? Not quite. The destruction was heavy, but not entirely wanton. There had been heavy fighting that day between the army and the guerrillas. Neither side occupied the hospital or attempted to do so, but as the fighting raged among the narrow cobblestoned streets of the town, a few Salvadoran Army soldiers had become separated from their unit and attempted to flee onto the roof of the hospital. The FMLN forces cornered the government soldiers, and, in an attempt to flush them out, decided to detonate an explosive charge in the pediatric ward, the spot nearest to the soldiers’ rooftop hideout.

Hence, two crucial legal questions arise: First, were the soldiers a legitimate target for the FMLN? Almost certainly yes. (It could even be argued that the hospital lost its protected status because the soldiers chose to hide themselves there, but their flight onto the hospital roof seemed less calculated than a decision made amid the heat and panic of battle, with no cooperation from the hospital staff, and it would seem perverse to make the hospital pay for that.)

Second, were the FMLN troops within their rights to use an explosive to attack the soldiers, knowing that to detonate it would cause substantial damage to the wing of the hospital where civilian children were treated? I think that in this instance, the answer is also yes—especially in view of the fact that hospital personnel told us that the guerrillas gave them ample warning and permitted them to evacuate all the patients and medical personnel before they set off their bomb.

But it is a qualified yes. The answer, under international law, would ultimately hinge on the question of whether killing or capturing a handful of already fleeing enemy troops really warranted the eminently foreseeable damage to a hospital facility. And that damage was extensive; not total destruction of the entire building, to be sure, but serious enough to force dozens of sick and injured people into a makeshift outdoor clinic. It might reasonably be argued that this level of damage was unwarranted, notwithstanding the FMLN’s laudable effort to evacuate the building first. In fact, the FMLN never did capture or kill the soldiers. If humanitarian law was violated, the FMLN theoretically might be required to pay reparations for the damage caused. But there was no evidence of willfulness in the legal sense required to constitute individually culpable war crimes.

So I went back to San Salvador and incorporated the Zacatecoluca hospital incident into that week’s article. It was true, as I initially heard, that the guerrillas had blown up the hospital. But a close investigation of all the factors that led them to take that action, and of the manner in which they took it, showed that, tragic as it was, the assault may well have fallen into the category of a questionable but lawful military action, rather than that of a major violation of human rights or an individually culpable war crime.

So situations of this sort are highly situational. In general, it is an obligation of war for combatants to avoid using hospitals and other sanctuaries to shelter themselves from attack; depending on the degree of deliberation involved on the part of either the fleeing individual and/or the hospital staff, the act of taking refuge in the hospital might in fact completely invalidate the building's protected status.

On the other side is the balance between the value of the target and the damage that is likely to be done to the hospital, as well as to those being treated within it; we cannot say in all circumstances that an attack upon it would either always be warranted or always be unwarranted. As the forgoing passage suggests, there are other factors involved as well.

Still, all of this misses the greater point and it's a technical, pedantic point to make in any event: The Administration's own guidelines require adherence to the laws of warfare. If the laws of warfare are not being followed, then neither are the guidelines; and that in turn leaves those who violate the laws of warfare subject to prosecution within the U.S., under both civil law and the UCMJ.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Svartvit posted:

FYI this is not true, it is possible for hospitals to lose their protected status.

The Fourth Geneva Convention Article 19 posted:

The protection to which civilian hospitals are entitled shall not cease unless they are used to commit, outside their humanitarian duties, acts harmful to the enemy. Protection may, however, cease only after due warning has been given, naming, in all appropriate cases, a reasonable time limit and after such warning has remained unheeded.

The fact that sick or wounded members of the armed forces are nursed in these hospitals, or the presence of small arms and ammunition taken from such combatants and not yet been handed to the proper service, shall not be considered to be acts harmful to the enemy

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tezzor posted:

You keep using the word fact for what appears to be a poorly substantiated generalization

Okay so Russian airstrikes did target Daesh after all, thank you for your salient and relevant point.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Chewbacca Defense posted:

The vast majority of the time that civilians are killed it's due to the fact that the US's enemies would rather sacrifice their families than fight according to the rules of war.

I don't know if I'd go that far, if a building gets shelled and it kills a sniper+a couple families living nearby, that sniper's a fucker for endangering those people but he's not "sacrificing his family." I imagine most Taliban fighters don't give a poo poo about what happens to civilians in government-controlled cities

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

A hospital can lose it's protected status if it is being used for a military purpose i.e. placing an anti-aircraft gun on top of it, etc.

And lol at anyone who thinks the US would knowingly target a protected civilian structure intentionally. The fact of the matter is the US does more to prevent civilian casualties than any other country. The vast majority of the time that civilians are killed it's due to the fact that the US's enemies would rather sacrifice their families than fight according to the rules of war.

I know, right? Lol. Can you guys believe those dumb leftists who uncritically believe whatever unsubstantiated state propaganda is convenient to their ideology??

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
It's not ok when those other fucks do it, when they do it they're all shifty eyes, unlike us, we do it with the best of intentions and kindness in our hearts.

Also, people ought to read on the Iraq occupation and the battles of fallujah so that they get a good read on what the US army is willing to do when ordered to.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

But we've accidentally bombed weddings before so that makes us just as bad as Bashar Assad dropping barrel bombs on bread lines.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
To be fair the U.S. has shown incredible retraint in iraq and Afghanistan.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
I'm not familiar with every American airstrike over the past decade and a half, but I imagine there's at least one example of a civilian building, known to be occupied by civilians, destroyed because it also contained a high-ranking combatant.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Greataval posted:

To be fair the U.S. has shown incredible retraint in iraq and Afghanistan.

You will be Shocked and Awed by the absolutely brutal and unrelenting restraint shown by the world's largest and most expensive military force.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://vimeo.com/70987407

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Does anybody else ever feel that abiding by rules to fight wars against non-state actors in the 21st century is about as absurd, and doomed to failure, as marching out in Napoleon-era shooting formations to fight a 20th century war? I mean I'm glad my country's military isn't indiscriminately murdering all the civilians it can, especially since the wars we fight today are wars of choice we arguably shouldn't be fighting in the first place, but I also can't help wondering if our moral horror at civilian casualties is a big part of why we don't win wars anymore. Again, I'm glad we're not actually doing this (I've been as socialized to think it's immoral as anyone else), but I can't help feeling if we'd carpet bombed Raqqa the moment we started bombing in Syria, and made it clear that any new stronghold they set up in is next, ISIS probably wouldn't be the center of international recruitment and emulation that it is today. Am I crazy for wondering if our squeamishness and sense of moral superiority leads to more casualties in the long run as these conflicts never end?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sinteres posted:

Does anybody else ever feel that abiding by rules to fight wars against non-state actors in the 21st century is about as absurd, and doomed to failure, as marching out in Napoleon-era shooting formations to fight a 20th century war? I mean I'm glad my country's military isn't indiscriminately murdering all the civilians it can, especially since the wars we fight today are wars of choice we arguably shouldn't be fighting in the first place, but I also can't help wondering if our moral horror at civilian casualties is a big part of why we don't win wars anymore. Again, I'm glad we're not actually doing this (I've been as socialized to think it's immoral as anyone else), but I can't help feeling if we'd carpet bombed Raqqa the moment we started bombing in Syria, and made it clear that any new stronghold they set up in is next, ISIS probably wouldn't be the center of international recruitment and emulation that it is today. Am I crazy for wondering if our squeamishness and sense of moral superiority leads to more casualties in the long run as these conflicts never end?

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Sinteres posted:

Making the pile of bodies bigger has never helped anything.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Sinteres posted:

America's squeamishness and moral superiority, things that exist.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Dilkington posted:

I'm not familiar with every American airstrike over the past decade and a half, but I imagine there's at least one example of a civilian building, known to be occupied by civilians, destroyed because it also contained a high-ranking combatant.

Well yeah of course. If a target is high value enough then the military will weigh it against any possible civilian casualties. You think if Al-Baghdadi was holed up in a building full of families that we wouldnt drop a bomb on it? And yeah, there would be some blowback but he is a very high value target sometimes the military just has to do it. But the fact is, and lots of people seem to conveniently forget this, the US DOES NOT DELIBERATELY TARGET CIVILIANS. Not in modern times at least. Civilian deaths are the result of collateral damage and mistaken targetting.

Also it looks like Bernie Sanders has once again chose the path of logic and is not advocating for a no fly zone in Syria like Hillary is
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/10/03/bernie-sanders-sides-with-obama-and-against-clinton-on-no-fly-zone-in-syria/

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Sinteres posted:

If indiscriminately killing civilians was an effective counter insurgency tactic Assad wouldn't be In the position he's in

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
^^^^^^
edit: what kustomkarkommando said.

Sinteres posted:

COIN is a thing that's been studied a lot, especially over the past decade. If being ruthless was enough to end insurgencies, the US would have beaten the Viet Cong, and the Soviets would have beaten the Mujahedin, and the Wehrmacht would've secured their supply lines.

Dilkington fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 3, 2015

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010

TomViolence posted:

You will be Shocked and Awed by the absolutely brutal and unrelenting restraint shown by the world's largest and most expensive military force.

Oh i know what we have done and it could be alot worse than what we have done so far. So it is incredible restraint when compared to the alternative.

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013
There's actually no justification for this, whatever the real target was and whatever the gains made. If America is indifferent enough to civilian casualties to start knowingly dropping bombs on a Doctors Without Borders hospital, the only standing hospital in a few hundred square miles, it's not fighting the good fight.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Dilkington posted:

^^^^^^
edit: what kustomkarkommando said.

COIN is a thing that's been studied a lot, especially over the past decade. If being ruthless was enough to end insurgencies, the US would have beaten the Viet Cong, and the Soviets would have beaten the Mujahedin, and the Wehrmacht would've secured their supply lines.

This and the fact that this has been posted a number of times in this thread

just wanted me to pop in and say that The Beast (of War) is a much better (and much more interesting) movie about the Soviet-Afghan war than Rambo III that came out at about the same time. It's highly worth watching, and the movie is pretty short and the script is simple and focused.

Couldn't find any truly good clips on youtube (except the guy getting crushed by the tank). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3Ef-IZvQ7g <--- just a movie, but I guess it's pretty NSW

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 3, 2015

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

It's certainly a creative way to assassinate all these presidents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

An FSA group claim to have killed a bunch of Russians. With a US provided TOW ATGM. Awkward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWzGe5i_WuI

• Locked thread