Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Sade posted:

It's literally Metal Gear REX.

Yeah, but REX looked so much better & didn't have an exposed cockpit (what a cockup! :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I believe the following internal GW currency conversion chart might help explain this.

Australia is not Austria...

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Do any of you goons know of other youtube channels that are similar to miniwargaming? I don't play tabletop stuff but I've recently been kinda fascinated with it and I'm loving going through the miniwargaming videos, especially their narrative campaigns. Was just curious if anything else existed like them.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Verranicus posted:

Do any of you goons know of other youtube channels that are similar to miniwargaming? I don't play tabletop stuff but I've recently been kinda fascinated with it and I'm loving going through the miniwargaming videos, especially their narrative campaigns. Was just curious if anything else existed like them.

Striking Scorpion 82 does awesome battle reports with beautiful armies and great terrain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?StrikingScorpion82

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

SRM posted:

Striking Scorpion 82 does awesome battle reports with beautiful armies and great terrain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?StrikingScorpion82

Cool! Thank you. Somewhat related, but does anyone here have a subscription to the vault on miniwargaming? They seem to keep a lot of the coolest batreps and other videos on there but I'm not sure if it's worth paying out for or not.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Verranicus posted:

Tabletop tactics seems pretty good from what I've watched.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Just got this dude in a trade. Dont recognize him. Anyone got some info on him?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Pendent posted:

Tabletop tactics seems pretty good from what I've watched.

Hey, thanks for that.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Yeah I watch quite a lot of tabletop tactics. Really like the eldar the narrator dude has. Also they're British so plus points there.

Only downside is they kept using the wraithknight for a while when entire bat reps just revolved around it as it is so monumentally broken.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

LingcodKilla posted:

That's a Games Day 2006 Veteran Sergeant mini.

EDIT: Maybe 2005? This website says 'Space Marine Veteran Sergeant Aurelius Gamesday 2005' so I dunno.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Verranicus posted:

Cool! Thank you. Somewhat related, but does anyone here have a subscription to the vault on miniwargaming? They seem to keep a lot of the coolest batreps and other videos on there but I'm not sure if it's worth paying out for or not.

I have one, but I will cancel it before it comes up for renewal this month. I'm just tired of their stuff (gw games in general really), but if you like the free videos the paid ones are just more of the same so I would recommend it.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
I have a vault membership. It was worth it during the campaigns earlier in the year, and for access to all the painting tutorials and what not. It is kind of on you to get your money's worth and view as much as possible.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I believe the following internal GW currency conversion chart might help explain this.

imagine being this guy

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Pew pew pew...

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

LingcodKilla posted:

I threw him and the other captain in there as an extra since I found both while digging around for stuff.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Slimnoid posted:

I threw him and the other captain in there as an extra since I found both while digging around for stuff.

I like him. He's just the right amount of ornate without going over the top skully-blinged out.

May have to break my "no metal" policy for this guy.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Uroboros posted:

Pew pew pew...

That's a handsome looking little hovercar you got there. I think all that magnetizing would drive me mad!

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

Cool so they can be from different parent troop selections as long as they are combat squads?

Cool way to get two vet sargs with combi melta and two melta guns in one vehicle with two 5 mans with whatever heavy weapon hanging back.

Pendent posted:

"In an exception to the normal rules, two combat squads split from the same unit can embark in the same transport vehicle, providing the transport capacity allows."

Emphasis mine. So no, you can't have two sarges in the same rhino/pod. Basically it just means that a single ten-man squad split into two five-man combat squads can share a rhino or pod - you could have a rhino drive midfield and disembark the combat squad with the sarge and special weapon while the other half-squad with the heavy weapon stays in the rhino providing fire support, etc.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 3, 2015

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
A few more magnets, a tank of liquid nitrogen and you have an functional hoverjeep!

It looks really cool, I especially like the subdued blue tone. I used to paint my UM in a darker shade as well, the old official color was terrible.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Drake_263 posted:

Emphasis mine. So no, you can't have two sarges in the same rhino/pod. Basically it just means that a single ten-man squad split into two five-man com bat squads can share a rhino or pod - you could have a rhino drive midfield and disembark the combat squad with the sarge and special weapon while the other half-squad with the heavy weapon stays in the rhino providing fire support, etc.

I edited that part back in after making the post. Somehow I missed it with my phone posting

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Decorus posted:

A few more magnets, a tank of liquid nitrogen and you have an functional hoverjeep!

It looks really cool, I especially like the subdued blue tone. I used to paint my UM in a darker shade as well, the old official color was terrible.

Naw, the old official color was the best. Dark blue is cool too though.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Pendent posted:

I edited that part back in after making the post. Somehow I missed it with my phone posting

Aaaah, that makes sense. Eh, poo poo happens!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Sade posted:

It's literally Metal Gear REX.

nah REX looks cool and good

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

SRM posted:

Naw, the old official color was the best. Dark blue is cool too though.

Just so we're clear, you're also talking about the 2nd ed pastel blue atrocity? I guess a master painter might be able to work with it, but my first marines looked like their armor was made out of regurgitated Play-Doh.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Cross post from mini painting thread

quote:

More fire, more green, more burny.

Album -> http://imgur.com/a/IpIqU

Gigantic severed head is magnetised, as are the chains.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Uroboros posted:

I have a vault membership. It was worth it during the campaigns earlier in the year, and for access to all the painting tutorials and what not. It is kind of on you to get your money's worth and view as much as possible.

Totally agree - I've had one for a while but don't watch the videos any more, and because I don't get into the narrative campaigns I'll probably cancel my subscription. I should give the narrative stuff a try but I have loads of other videos to watch at work, and when I'm home I'm either painting (where watching videos is no good), or watching TV.

E: painted this guy today at a UK wargaming show (please excuse the logo and all, it was a pic for Facebook), it's the Kanjira the World Breaker model from Reaper Bones, about 7 inches high. What do you all think about using it as a Greater Daemon or Bloodthirster? It is the reason I got the model from the Bones 2 Kickstarter but I haven't had a chance to paint him yet until today.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 3, 2015

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

krushgroove posted:

E: painted this guy today at a UK wargaming show (please excuse the logo and all, it was a pic for Facebook), it's the Kanjira the World Breaker model from Reaper Bones, about 7 inches high. What do you all think about using it as a Greater Daemon or Bloodthirster? It is the reason I got the model from the Bones 2 Kickstarter but I haven't had a chance to paint him yet until today.

It wouldn't be giving GW money, so go for it.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
So apparently the Ghostkeel can do this

quote:

Countermeasures. Once per game, you can disrupt the targeting of an enemy unit, if it is targeting the Ghostkeel's unit, before dice are rolled. That unit can only make snap shots during that shooting phase.

Which is pretty sweet.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Totally agree - I've had one for a while but don't watch the videos any more, and because I don't get into the narrative campaigns I'll probably cancel my subscription. I should give the narrative stuff a try but I have loads of other videos to watch at work, and when I'm home I'm either painting (where watching videos is no good), or watching TV.

That looks great. Is that you presenting at the Derby show?

I would completely use it. I am actually going in on the Studio McVey Seven Sins kickstarter and my intention is to have a pile of models to use in a daemons/cultists army. I find the uniform look of the GW daemons in contrast to the Warp and its myriad of forms. I am also at a point where I want my model collection to be versatile for other games due to the recent shape of 40K.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

JackMack posted:

That looks great. Is that you presenting at the Derby show?

I would completely use it. I am actually going in on the Studio McVey Seven Sins kickstarter and my intention is to have a pile of models to use in a daemons/cultists army. I find the uniform look of the GW daemons in contrast to the Warp and its myriad of forms. I am also at a point where I want my model collection to be versatile for other games due to the recent shape of 40K.
Yeah this is at Derby World Wargames. If anyone is nearby, stop by the Barwell Bodyworks stand! I'm hoping to paint the Bones Cthulu model tomorrow as well, he is meant to be a daemon of Nurgle. I agree with you about the Warp and all that - there's no reason Daemons would all look the same. And I'm right there with you on models for other games. I've got Warpath coming and probably Beyond the Gates of Antares too.

Slimnoid posted:

It wouldn't be giving GW money, so go for it.

And there is that, yeah.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Moola posted:

Ghost

keel

missed opportunity to call it the Ghosthand GWs

I don't play Tau :P

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Decorus posted:

Just so we're clear, you're also talking about the 2nd ed pastel blue atrocity? I guess a master painter might be able to work with it, but my first marines looked like their armor was made out of regurgitated Play-Doh.

Yeah, that color scheme rules. I've painted a sizeable Ultramarines army in that scheme:

I adore the old 2nd ed paint schemes. They're gaudy and cartoony but so is this silly game.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
Those marines look fine, and they're definitely a shade darker than my old ones. Thinking back, I think I undercoated mine white, so there might've been some issue with poor coverage. Gaudy space marines are the best, I prefer them all polished and shiny with stupid ornaments.
I'll post a picture of my monstrosities if I can find them.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Drake_263 posted:

Emphasis mine. So no, you can't have two sarges in the same rhino/pod. Basically it just means that a single ten-man squad split into two five-man combat squads can share a rhino or pod - you could have a rhino drive midfield and disembark the combat squad with the sarge and special weapon while the other half-squad with the heavy weapon stays in the rhino providing fire support, etc.

I would have assumed that's the right way but GW loosy goosy rules and all.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The proper way is to combat squad yourself some Sternguard, put both special/all combi weapons in one half and use the other half-squad as cover. Bubble wrap your meltas.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Decorus posted:

Those marines look fine, and they're definitely a shade darker than my old ones. Thinking back, I think I undercoated mine white, so there might've been some issue with poor coverage. Gaudy space marines are the best, I prefer them all polished and shiny with stupid ornaments.
I'll post a picture of my monstrosities if I can find them.

Mine were primed white too, I just got an even blue over them. A badly painted mini will look bad no matter what the scheme is; I've got some dark and messy Ultramarines I painted when I was a teenager that look awful, but moodier schemes can look as good as anything else.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

SRM posted:

I adore the old 2nd ed paint schemes. They're gaudy and cartoony but so is this silly game.

We know, SRM. You have an addiction, your photos are a tragic public display of your disorder.

They look so great, love the checkered details, those Marines were all over the pages of White Dwarf when I started playing, really brings me back.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Your avatar should just be a goblin green base.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

SRM posted:

I appreciate your love of the old, but the opposite reason is why I like the darker blue. Not to mention I think the dark blue draws ones eyes to the gold, white, and red bits all that much more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ignite Memories posted:

Your avatar should just be a goblin green base.
The carpeting in my apartment should just be that old bright green battlemat material.

• Locked thread