Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Geniasis posted:

OTOH, if a studio is really worried about the budget, the anime would just get subbed instead. That's probably why dubs have vastly improved over the last decade. That, or my standards have just really fallen.

If you watch anime you already have no standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Screaming Idiot posted:

If you watch anime you already have no standards.

Having low standards and no standards are different things. There are some anime so bad even anime watchers will have none of that poo poo.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Somfin posted:

I loving hate this dodge.

I dunno, Paz gets a pass for me. In part because 16 to 20ish whatever is a hell of a smaller jump than whatever the gently caress Nowi is supposed to be in Awakening. I've also met people in real life who look way way younger than they actually are. Human perceptions are malleable beep boop.

That doesn't excuse Quiet though.

Dr Christmas posted:

Rumor is the redhead he had a crush on was Lauren Faust of Powerpuff Girls and My Little Pony fame.

Highly unlikely, considering Alex Hirsch was 9 when Faust graduated from college.

Lord Lambeth has a new favorite as of 04:00 on Oct 3, 2015

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

I picked up Dying Light when it was on sale recently. Seemed like maybe it would be a semi-decent zombie game.

Holy poo poo the writing/dialogue is so bad I had to get a refund 20 minutes into it.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

kazil posted:

I picked up Dying Light when it was on sale recently. Seemed like maybe it would be a semi-decent zombie game.

Holy poo poo the writing/dialogue is so bad I had to get a refund 20 minutes into it.
This is pretty much Crane 75% of the game.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

kazil posted:

I'm sorry you're retarded for refunding

The writing isn't great though

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Story is poo poo but the gameplay is great.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alteisen posted:

Story is poo poo but the gameplay is great.

This seems to be a reoccurring theme.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

This seems to be a reoccurring theme.

Video game writing is bad and there's no real incentive for them to try harder because all they have to do is make a game that sounds smart while having as little actual meaning to it as possible and everyone will praise it as game of the year with the best, deepest story ever.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Video game writing is bad and there's no real incentive for them to try harder because all they have to do is make a game that sounds smart while having as little actual meaning to it as possible and everyone will praise it as game of the year with the best, deepest story ever.

It also doesn't help that literature is non-interactive; video games sabotage literary plot and pacing with all the player-controlled parts. The example that I always think of is from GTA4, where cutscene-Niko opens up and relates a godawful experience from the Serbian Wars then walks outside and player-Niko barrels down the sidewalk scattering pedestrians like bowling pins.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
This is why Saints Row 2 is pretty much the best game because the Boss in the cutscenes is pretty much exactly the person who would go bowling pedestrians over on the sidewalk, and I'm honestly kind of surprised that never actually happened in a cutscene.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

SpookyLizard posted:

This is why Saints Row 2 is pretty much the best game because the Boss in the cutscenes is pretty much exactly the person who would go bowling pedestrians over on the sidewalk, and I'm honestly kind of surprised that never actually happened in a cutscene.

Zinyak references it in one of his rants about the Boss. "How many people did you kill because the sidewalk was faster than the road? How many died because you used a rocket instead of a bullet?"

The Boss in Saints Row is the most perfect GTA-style player character in the history of video games. And usually the most ridiculous-looking as well.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
With 99.99999999999% of zombie titles existing on the basis of "well, programming decent AI was too hard" Dying Light should get a goddamn medal for being actually worth playing. The story is a total predictable shitshow where you with your player character would die the second he opend his stupid loving mouth but the actual part of the game that matters (the gameplay) is spot on.

Also I spent my first hour of the multiplayer literally just kicking my way through a horde of zombies with my friends while screaming "WELCOME TO BOOT CAMP!" on voice chat so I might have some biases.

Content: MGS Phantom Pain is unaware that this is the year of our lord two thousand and fifteen and keeps giving me keyboard and mouse tool-tips instead of the actual controller I have plugged in and have been using exclusively the whole game.

Acute Grill has a new favorite as of 15:03 on Oct 3, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Nuebot posted:

The crazy thing is that the developer of Dying Light, Techland, is the same developer responsible for Call of Juarez: Gunslinger which is like the poster child of using writing to elevate a game with clever dialogue and in-game storytelling.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Sleeveless posted:

The crazy thing is that the developer of Dying Light, Techland, is the same developer responsible for Call of Juarez: Gunslinger which is like the poster child of using writing to elevate a game with clever dialogue and in-game storytelling.

Techland is also responsible for the other Call of Juarez games, which are bad at best and really loving racist at worst.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Geniasis posted:

OTOH, if a studio is really worried about the budget, the anime would just get subbed instead. That's probably why dubs have vastly improved over the last decade. That, or my standards have just really fallen.

Not always. Sometimes licensing gets very expensive to get the rights to the Japanese actors. Basically, within Japan, the union sets the salaries (and they're actually surprising low) but outside of the region VAs get to dictate whatever price they want and they usually demand any negotiations be done face to face.

It's also why we see a lot of Japanese games that are only available dubbed. I mean SpaceDrake mentioned over at NeoGAF that licensing the second set of voices for Fortune Summoners (the ones for the deluxe rerelease that was done by professional VAs) would've cost quite a bit more than the profit they made from localizing. The VAs have a tendency to highly inflate their prices and sometimes even decide they won't let their work be licensed period.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Kalos posted:

Content: MGS Phantom Pain is unaware that this is the year of our lord two thousand and fifteen and keeps giving me keyboard and mouse tool-tips instead of the actual controller I have plugged in and have been using exclusively the whole game.
the controls just seem to be sort of hosed like that both ways. For like the first week mine exclusively showed me controller prompts and still does sometimes, and always refers to triggers and other controller buttons. Now it usually just sticks to keyboard buttons but all the menus still show controller buttons. Meanwhile the game has straight up started refusing my friend's controller so any time he plugs it in it tries to force him to use the keyboard even though just like two days ago he was using the controller fine, and it still works fine with other games.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
This is what you get for using a gamepad on a game that doesnt need one.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

SpookyLizard posted:

This is what you get for using a gamepad on a game that doesnt need one.

Wow, it's like I can taste the PC elitism!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Lizard Wizard posted:

SpookyLizard has posted multiple times in this thread how much he dislikes controllers.

Personally I've never had a keyboard prompt come up in MGSV while using a controller. Maybe you guys are bumping your mouse or something?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

kazil posted:

SpookyLizard has posted multiple times in this thread how much he dislikes controllers.

Personally I've never had a keyboard prompt come up in MGSV while using a controller. Maybe you guys are bumping your mouse or something?

It doesn't seem to be just that. I've not even got a controller plugged in and the game sometimes gives me controller prompts.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lizard Wizard posted:

Wow, it's like I can taste the PC autism!

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

kazil posted:

Snake leans over to Miller and whispers, "Kaz, I'm getting a serious case of deja vu here!"

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Re: Quiet sexiness. I was bothered at first yes but you get the blood outfit really quickly and imo it looks like she's wearing full clothing since it totally covers her body, and obviously is not sexy at all (unless you're weird and into blood I guess)

Content: fuel resources.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Thin Privilege posted:

Re: Quiet sexiness. I was bothered at first yes but you get the blood outfit really quickly and imo it looks like she's wearing full clothing since it totally covers her body, and obviously is not sexy at all (unless you're weird and into blood I guess)

Don't kinkshame my koolaid fetish tia

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
im just pointing out nerds poor life decisions

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Alhazred posted:

Some of the trophies in the Uncharted games is super loving dumb and I love them for it. In the second game you get a trophy for playing Marco Polo in a pool, in the third game you get a trophy for playing Marco Solo (there's also a medal for petting every yak in a village).

My favorite was the achievement you get for shining the mirror puzzle in Chloe's face.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Your Gay Uncle posted:

My favorite was the achievement you get for shining the mirror puzzle in Chloe's face.

D4 has a segment where you're exploring the underbelly of a plane with a flight attendant in tow and there's an achievement for harassing her with the cursor enough to get beat up by her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9ze2sb6pMs

She's the only character that actually reacts to getting Pushed, in the rest of the game you can smack people around forever with zero consequence.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Thin Privilege posted:

I just painted Quiet gold and I've been laughing my rear end off every time she shows up in a scene now.

Regarding fuel, I thought I was done with it when I maxed out my MB. Then I unlocked the FOB. :suicide:

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I've recently had a great time seeing this on the Call of Duty: MW2 steam forums as there is absolutely no controller support for that game. There is for the first, and everyone after it, but not the second.

If you look at any post on the forum asking what people use to enable controllers (Joy2Key, xpadder, etc.), the same guy keeps posting how it doesn't matter, as you will be destroyed by the other players using K + M. Which means gently caress all to me, as I'm purely wanting to play singleplayer.

Why the gently caress can't people get that A) maybe not all of us play multiplayer games, and B) maybe we like to play on a couch where holding a mouse and using a keyboard is awkward.

All said, that is what is dragging down CoD: MW2 for me, can't play it using a controller without third party software, that truthfully, I don't want to waste my time with. So I will just refund the game and play something else.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

you will be destroyed by the other players using K + M.

I'll never understand why people keep saying that as if it matters to most people anyway. I mean if I'm playing an FPS I'm going to be destroyed by like half the people I run into anyway, regardless of whether they use a gamepad or K+M.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I just painted Quiet gold and I've been laughing my rear end off every time she shows up in a scene now.

I haven't heard a peep about this. Is she completely metallic like Metal Mario or what?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

RareAcumen posted:

I haven't heard a peep about this. Is she completely metallic like Metal Mario or what?

There are both gold and silver body paint outfits for her. It's her whole body, including hair and clothes, although not the eyes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cleretic posted:

There are both gold and silver body paint outfits for her. It's her whole body, including hair and clothes, although not the eyes.

The only thing funnier than this is if she had a Volgin or Vulcan Raven skin.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Cleretic posted:

Think the lady from Goldfinger, except Quiet doesn't die from it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ChaosArgate posted:

Think the lady from Goldfinger, except Quiet doesn't die from it.

Even though unlike the lady from Goldfinger Quiet should die from it.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
no you see its quiets special body paint that wont kill her much like the the special blood outfit also doesnt kill her

also mahwah2 is pretty poo poo why would you even want to play it

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

On the subject of dragging MGSV down with quiet. There's a scene where you shower with her and a bunch of dudes watch and make comments. It was awkward to say the least. Also Ocelot stands on the side Big Boss is on, while everyone else crowds around Quiet which amused me.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

RareAcumen posted:

The only thing funnier than this is if she had a Volgin or Vulcan Raven skin.

She doesn't, although one of the harder unlockables in the game is for her. Beat the Extreme version of her boss fight, where she has more health, can one-shot you, and dodges the supply drop trick, and you get the Sniper Wolf costume she's wearing during that mission.

I like Quiet a lot, and part of it's that I think all of her costumes are pretty fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

She doesn't, although one of the harder unlockables in the game is for her. Beat the Extreme version of her boss fight, where she has more health, can one-shot you, and dodges the supply drop trick, and you get the Sniper Wolf costume she's wearing during that mission.

I like Quiet a lot, and part of it's that I think all of her costumes are pretty fantastic.

I think the costume where she wears clothes looks legit good and if I had that option the whole game, it'd be cool. Then again I also don't make the dog wear any of his armor or anything because I think it looks dumb.