Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tarranon posted:

Every crafter was waiting on crafting as a service.

Not every crafter. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So super basic question, I'm doing my classes level 5 quest, but after that should I go on with the main story or try to do every sidequest in the city I can?

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Job quests > Main story quests > Side quests.

If you can't do one type then jump to the next. Job quests are essential in giving you new abilities, MSQ unlocks everything and is the biggest source of XP for a newbie and side quests are everywhere. Side quests also give a static XP reward so just do them if you feel like it even if you're a level or two above their requirements. There's no reason to leave them for leveling alt classes who already get a +100% XP boost from everything expect side quests.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
In the very first levels there's a little bit of a lull between the required level for the breadcrumb quests and your current level, don't be afraid to smack around some low level enemies or a do a low level fate for a few minutes until you can continue questing. Ditto very late 40s, but at basically every point you'll have access to way more quests than needed

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

jyrque posted:

Job quests > Main story quests > Side quests.

If you can't do one type then jump to the next. Job quests are essential in giving you new abilities, MSQ unlocks everything and is the biggest source of XP for a newbie and side quests are everywhere. Side quests also give a static XP reward so just do them if you feel like it even if you're a level or two above their requirements. There's no reason to leave them for leveling alt classes who already get a +100% XP boost from everything expect side quests.
How many classes can you even get to 60 from just doing quests?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

anthonypants posted:

How many classes can you even get to 60 from just doing quests?

Probably about 1.

Side quests don't give a ton of XP.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

In my experience, non-repeatable quests plus hunting logs get 1 class to 60 (excluding a couple short level lulls) and every other class to 12. Fates outside of aleport get the other classes to 15~16, daily dungeons get them to 20 relatively quickly, 20-23ish from hunting logs again, dungeons and guildheists to 28 at a kind of meh pace, then fates outside of costa to get them to the 30ish range and the grind begins in quite a bit more earnest. You'll have a ton of leftover quests in the lower level range, but higher up you'll only have enough to feed about half of a class (and the ones left over are probably the ones you skipped for being potentially boring)

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Completing side quests while doing MSQ is just filler XP so you don't have to keep doing dungeons, FATEs and leves to grind. My original road to 50 had me playing like 12 hours a week and MSQ + Side quests only created a meaningful obstacle around 48 where for some reason you only have very few MSQ's available. Rest XP is huge for casual player.

It's still a good idea to do leveling roulette every day while leveling for the bonus and because the dungeons can be p fun.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

jyrque posted:

Completing side quests while doing MSQ is just filler XP so you don't have to keep doing dungeons, FATEs and leves to grind. My original road to 50 had me playing like 12 hours a week and MSQ + Side quests only created a meaningful obstacle around 48 where for some reason you only have very few MSQ's available. Rest XP is huge for casual player.

It's still a good idea to do leveling roulette every day while leveling for the bonus and because the dungeons can be p fun.

The 3.0 sidequests also include additional story, or at least story for their respective areas. I'm about ready to kill all Moogles forever after Churning Mists but getting a little dragon buddy in Forelands was nice, though it should've given him as a minion reward at the end for maximum :3:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Xenoveritas posted:

The Lodestone website has a mobile mode and works in mobile Safari just fine - you don't need Libra Eorzea to get that information. :ssh: (I'm assuming it also works on Android in Chrome but I don't have an Android phone to check with.)

This brings up a question for me: are there any useful and/or fun phone apps?

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'm on the second-to-last stage. Light is at 4x what it used to be, I don't think any HW content gives it. Drop rates on everything are great (atma is 25%, these items in the second-to-last stage are at least 33%), but it's still a huge grind. Also mysterious maps give 5 alexandrite each. It's way easier now.

Thanks! Still on books here but with a month left til 3.1 I think I can pull it off

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

There are a few side quests that unlock things that should be done as soon as possible.

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

My Relic 2 theory is still that we'll need to run the old 24-person instances (and maybe the new one too) for a reagent to fill out the new materia sphere grid thing which now goes up to Materia V, so there will be lots of angry jerks in all the CT instances and a lot of spiritbonding going on in the new Sky area where we piss on each others' faces for HNM claims. Please look forward to it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Boten Anna posted:

My Relic 2 theory is still that we'll need to run the old 24-person instances (and maybe the new one too) for a reagent to fill out the new materia sphere grid thing which now goes up to Materia V, so there will be lots of angry jerks in all the CT instances and a lot of spiritbonding going on in the new Sky area where we piss on each others' faces for HNM claims. Please look forward to it.

If the materia go up to 5, I will just put skill speed on my weapon.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I hope that they give a reason for people to run the Coil because I really want to see it.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Does the expansion ever go on sale? I kind of want to play this game again but drat, 60bux!

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Has it gone on sale? Not that I'm aware of (except as a bundle with the original). Will it go on sale? I'd assume it will eventually. Maybe wait for the inevitable Christmas sales?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

If you're in the states you can still get it from walmart for :30bux:, I'd be shocked to see a legit key priced any lower for at least half a year http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=heavensward

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

If the materia go up to 5, I will just put skill speed on my weapon.

I would not be surprised of the Materia V was non-optional. Maybe you even have to add the materia in reverse.

They went out of the way to say you could spiritbond i200+ gear in Sky, remember.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Does anyone have any (relatively) concrete information on how Quick Exploration works? Does ilvl matter at all beyond the rare items once you're at max level?

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010
so I asked in TPT chat the other night but I missed an answer (also sorry for asking so many loving questions and being so drat chatty in fc chat), but what's the airship ready for exploration notification mean? I think it was an FC notification, but I thought that poo poo wasn't coming out til november?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
There are airships FCs can build which work like a mega-retainer.

What comes out in November is probably going to use those airships to go explore floating islands and kill poo poo.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Does the expansion ever go on sale? I kind of want to play this game again but drat, 60bux!

what version? Amazon has the pc box for $29.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Just a quick reminder: if you bought the game on steam, you will NEED to buy the expansion on steam, and if you bought it for a console, you will need to buy their own versions of it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tenik posted:

Just a quick reminder: if you bought the game on steam, you will NEED to buy the expansion on steam, and if you bought it for a console, you will need to buy their own versions of it.

This is incomplete. If you created your account through a steam client you need to buy the steam version. If you played the steam trial and bought the game through mogstation you need to buy the steam version.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Question about PC licenses of the game: if you have already bought ARR on Steam, created an account and played the game, can you buy non-Steam box of both ARR and HW and keep your progress? Or is an account restricted to a single PC license, be it Steam or off-Steam, meaning you'd have to in this case create a new account for your non-Steam game license?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is anyone else getting disconnected?

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

jyrque posted:

Question about PC licenses of the game: if you have already bought ARR on Steam, created an account and played the game, can you buy non-Steam box of both ARR and HW and keep your progress? Or is an account restricted to a single PC license, be it Steam or off-Steam, meaning you'd have to in this case create a new account for your non-Steam game license?

You'd have to make a new account for the non Steam version.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

jyrque posted:

If you create an account through a steam client that account is a steam account and some percent of what you spend on the game goes straight to gaben. You cannot change a steam account to a non steam account because then gaben wouldn't get his money.

I said come in! posted:

Yes

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

First time in a queue now. :smith:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PaganGoatPants posted:

First time in a queue now. :smith:

Hit cancel then try again.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

Hit cancel then try again.

Thx

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
The queue implementation is really dumb: it basically polls the server every 10 seconds or so to see if you're at the front of the queue. So if the queue is like five people and you'd be let in almost instantly, you can just cancel out and try again without losing your place in queue (for some reason) and thereby getting in faster than waiting for it to check again.

Kuai
May 25, 2004

Xenoveritas posted:

The queue implementation is really dumb: it basically polls the server every 10 seconds or so to see if you're at the front of the queue. So if the queue is like five people and you'd be let in almost instantly, you can just cancel out and try again without losing your place in queue (for some reason) and thereby getting in faster than waiting for it to check again.

You can do that at any queue number :ssh:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Something clicked for me and all of a sudden I "get" the mechanics for THM. I can't wait to power grind this to 50.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Kuai posted:

You can do that at any queue number :ssh:

You can, but all you're doing is making the game check your place in queue again. You can't skip the queue. Of course, the queue moves fast enough that really the only time you're going to have to really wait is if you get a queue that's like 50 players.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Xenoveritas posted:

You can, but all you're doing is making the game check your place in queue again. You can't skip the queue. Of course, the queue moves fast enough that really the only time you're going to have to really wait is if you get a queue that's like 50 players.

no

the number can be up to the hundreds and queue canceling still gets you in immediately

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Doublestep posted:

no

the number can be up to the hundreds and queue canceling still gets you in immediately
If that's true, then it's not for the reason Xenoveritas was describing... i.e. queue implementation must be really dumb.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Got my first class to 50, WHM. Set up some decent gear, nearly doubled my instantaneous healing output.

Started leveling THM. I guess the best way to approach leveling it is to get to 30 there, then ARC to 15, then do the BLM stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

With the EU data center actually moving to the EU, is there any plan to make an EU guild?

• Locked thread