Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
my lps are perfect when i finish them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kurtofan posted:

Who's C and I?

Corn Inthebible

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The artists formerly known as C and I

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

CJacobs posted:

Corn Inthebible

Huh. I thought it was C Iacobs, myself.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chip and Ironicus, my bad, I can't remember when I started calling them that, they might have had a C&I logo at some point

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

The Vosgian Beast posted:

What's the best LP for the STALKER games?

From last page, in case anyone missed it while making hilarious abbreviation jokes

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

From last page, in case anyone missed it while making hilarious abbreviation jokes

As far as I can remember, there isn't one. Most of them get abandoned about 14 videos in, and the one that I remember actually finishing was terrible. The buggy nature of the game combined with the dull repetition makes them very short lived.

There is one out there by perochialjoe that looks to be complete. The fact that was closed out in 13 videos speaks well to the editing ability of the player, so you might want to start there.

EricFate fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 26, 2015

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

perochialjoe's done the entire series and they're on the archive.

Shadow of Chernobyl is informative but not comprehensive, he does everything he needs to get the True Good Ending and gets some important/nifty stashes but otherwise ignores lots of the side content, although he does talk about it at least.

Clear Sky is the funniest one, mostly due to the games incredibly buggy nature and how those bugs mess with him (the Professor oct/dodeca-tuplets come to mind) even when playing it with the Complete Mod. While it's also mostly a dash to the finish he does do some faction stuff to show off what it's like.

Call of Pripyat is the most comprehensive one he's done of these games with the most side content done. It's still not 100% but it's pretty close from what I remember, he only misses a few things (high-end tools and running around in power armor etc.)

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

H bomb did a pretty good one if I remember correctly.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Kurtofan posted:

What are good let's players to follow right now?

smite and his crew put out of random stuff from their streams and a lot of it's pretty funny. Like I enjoy smite's rom crypts of horrific snes games like bubsy and bubsy ii and nosferatu, psychadelic eyeballs stream of failing at sonic adventure 1 and 2, voice of dog's current stream of the parasite eve games and past streams of other adventure games, highwangs stream of odin sphere, and a lot else.

They're better for half-watching than full LPs for whatever reason.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Acne Rain posted:

smite and his crew put out of random stuff from their streams and a lot of it's pretty funny. Like I enjoy smite's rom crypts of horrific snes games like bubsy and bubsy ii and nosferatu, psychadelic eyeballs stream of failing at sonic adventure 1 and 2, voice of dog's current stream of the parasite eve games and past streams of other adventure games, highwangs stream of odin sphere, and a lot else.

They're better for half-watching than full LPs for whatever reason.

its mostly because half-watching is what most of the other guys commentating are doing, that's just the stream life

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Kurtofan posted:

What are good let's players to follow right now?

Scruffy's LPs are good, he has a voice like melted chocolate that you can fall asleep to. Except for the one that I was in, I recommend pretty much all of them.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

frozentreasure posted:

Scruffy's LPs are good, he has a voice like melted chocolate that you can fall asleep to. Except for the one that I was in, I recommend pretty much all of them.

Scruffy is SUPER GOOD! OMG! He has such a good pacing to his commentary and can actually keep interesting commentary while blind. It's crazy how he can do the latter part.

my dog boyfriend!!
Nov 21, 2008
I feel like ages ago I saw an LP of a patched/translated Fatal Frame 4, but it's nowhere in the archive. Did I dream this or does anyone else know who did it?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

my dog boyfriend!! posted:

I feel like ages ago I saw an LP of a patched/translated Fatal Frame 4, but it's nowhere in the archive. Did I dream this or does anyone else know who did it?

Niggurath did it? I'm fairly sure he did.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I believe Niggurath gave up due to the game being rear end. He proceed to LP DS hide and seek games.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Any good LPs of SOMA? I'm a big wimp, but I want to see what the hype's all about, so having someone else play for me is a plus.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Don't think anyone on SA started SOMA, but I'm sure Pewdiepie has made a great one! :suicide:

my dog boyfriend!!
Nov 21, 2008

Zain posted:

Niggurath did it? I'm fairly sure he did.

I don't think so. I remember it being a subtitled VLP and that's not really his bag.

eta: But yeah I remember the person running it had to do so via homebrew because it was never localized for the west and it was a not-stellar translation with some bugs and kinks.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

A cursory glimpse at the LP Master List leads me to believe that this is the thread you're looking for:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3285052

my dog boyfriend!!
Nov 21, 2008

JordanKai posted:

A cursory glimpse at the LP Master List leads me to believe that this is the thread you're looking for:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3285052

So it is. I forgot about the master list and only looked at the archive. Thanks!

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Anyone know of a solid LISA lp? I thought I remember seeing one pop up in the forums here a number of months ago but there's nothing on the master list.
I played like 2/3s of the game ages ago and just want to see the end third of the game.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I don't believe a complete one has been done. Some peeps have been talking about starting some up, so who knows, maybe there'll be three Lisa threads next month.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Anyone know of a solid LISA lp? I thought I remember seeing one pop up in the forums here a number of months ago but there's nothing on the master list.
I played like 2/3s of the game ages ago and just want to see the end third of the game.

Slowbeef did a stream of it, that he eventually completed. He's probably the absolute worst LISA player there is, but it is what it is :v:

He hasn't done the Joyful yet/might not be going to as far as I know.

Here ya go.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CommissarMega posted:

Any good LPs of SOMA? I'm a big wimp, but I want to see what the hype's all about, so having someone else play for me is a plus.

HarshlyCritical is doing one right now. If you don't know who he is, his schtick is that cheesy-rear end horror game tactics don't work on him because he's just not scared by jump-scares, and the face cam is there as part of the "joke" that he doesn't shout and fling his arms everywhere when he gets scared. Of course, Soma is an actually scary game and not crappy Slender knockoff, so this time around it doesn't necessarily work out that way. He does good let's plays because he actually thinks critically (hurr) about his actions instead of screaming and yelling obscenities at the spooky things.

He's also a really nice guy and I kind of have a man crush on him :shobon:

For a detailed analysis of what HarshlyCritical is all about, see this compilation he made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnJDqNjJIPs

Yes, the thumbnail is part of the joke

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 28, 2015

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I've been really enjoying Adam Koebel's LPs on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/skinnyghost/playlists. They're blind or blind-ish stream recordings, and including reading text, so maybe it's a stupid thing to point to here. But he's one of the Dungeon World guys and he tends to look at games in terms of how they relate to table top design issues, which I find interesting, and he's a cool guy. In the case that none of the previous attributes dissuaded you, there's also a lot of social justice stuff that I know some of us find unpleasant.

Specifically I've enjoyed his takes on Shadowrun, The Long Dark, and Transistor.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

HarshlyCritical is doing one right now. If you don't know who he is, his schtick is that cheesy-rear end horror game tactics don't work on him because he's just not scared by jump-scares, and the face cam is there as part of the "joke" that he doesn't shout and fling his arms everywhere when he gets scared. Of course, Soma is an actually scary game and not crappy Slender knockoff, so this time around it doesn't necessarily work out that way. He does good let's plays because he actually thinks critically (hurr) about his actions instead of screaming and yelling obscenities at the spooky things.

For a detailed analysis of what HarshlyCritical is all about, see this compilation he made:

I normally have a knee jerk hatred of all LPs involving a face cam. But I started watching the Soma videos and they are actually pretty good. Thanks for the recommendation.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ZeusCannon posted:

I normally have a knee jerk hatred of all LPs involving a face cam. But I started watching the Soma videos and they are actually pretty good. Thanks for the recommendation.

:agreed: Good rec, CJacobs!

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Stagger_Lee posted:

I've been really enjoying Adam Koebel's LPs on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/skinnyghost/playlists. They're blind or blind-ish stream recordings, and including reading text, so maybe it's a stupid thing to point to here. But he's one of the Dungeon World guys and he tends to look at games in terms of how they relate to table top design issues, which I find interesting, and he's a cool guy. In the case that none of the previous attributes dissuaded you, there's also a lot of social justice stuff that I know some of us find unpleasant.

Specifically I've enjoyed his takes on Shadowrun, The Long Dark, and Transistor.

Yes he's fantastic and in a similar vain he's the GM of a Stars without Numbers epic space opera called Swan Song and a Shadowrun RPG called Mirrorshades that's more like Persona high school simulator in cyberpunk world. Those are on itmejp's Youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/itmeJP

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
I return from my quest for a solid LISA lp with this one done by Youtube Let's Player ManlyBadassHero. He let's the game breath and captures the perfect blend of first time experience and guided tour which for a game like LISA with all it's hidden stuff is perfect.
Check it out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4kFAVmXm6E

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
My biggest gripe with him is the character voicing thing but otherwise he's ok.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

CJacobs posted:

I want to like this guy but he reads every single document out loud, regardless of what it is. He'd be perfect if he didn't do that, but holy poo poo is it annoying to have him read everything aloud.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

death .cab for qt posted:

I want to like this guy but he reads every single document out loud, regardless of what it is. He'd be perfect if he didn't do that, but holy poo poo is it annoying to have him read everything aloud.

It seems to be a thing Youtube LP'ers do. Just a few days ago I was looking for an LP of the first Persona game since there is no SA one and every one I found read the characters lines out loud. I have no idea why they do it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Certain amount of loving the sound of your own voice is necessary to do video LPs and youtubers usually don't get called out on it.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'd guess a lot of people just don't really realise it can be annoying. Someone big does wacky voices, and then everyone else just copies them because, you know, that's how it's done.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes it can help, though: I'm watching Kay Plays Dark Souls 2 at the recommendation of the thread and she reads item descriptions out loud - thing is, you can hear how she's fitting what she reads into the picture she has of the lore as she's figuring it out, and that's really nice.
No excuse for reading the dialogue out loud, though.

Stimm
Aug 6, 2009
TyrantSabre's Anno 2070 is wonderful, so many hours I don't have to spend planing the layouts for my angry citizens who just want to eat burgers and not pay taxes. Dose any one know of any other informative LPs of the other Anno games I could watch?

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

I've seen a lot of streamers who read everything, too. Seems to be regarding people who are watching on phones and the text is too small to read. Or, say, if you want to watch and be able to mostly just listen while you do something else.

I'm also looking for a VLP to watch. LPs that stand out in my mind:
C&I's Uncharted series
Bobbin Threadbare's Thief series, Deus Ex Lecture (Bioshock was too serious for me)
Professor Booty's ongoing XCOM: Long War

I like some level of informative; humor is optional, if the game/commentary is interesting enough. A lot of times I don't find the "wacky sidekick" or forced humor because people are watching... to hit the right note.
Basically I have a lot of free time and binged several dozen hours of Deus Ex Lecture and XCOM in like a week each. So finished VLPs are preferable.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 4, 2015

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

If you have to read the text just give a summary of it. "Oh hey there's someone else here." Like that's not a bad thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Zain posted:

If you have to read the text just give a summary of it. "Oh hey there's someone else here." Like that's not a bad thing to do.

I kinda "skim" it if I can. Truthfully, I think like 90% of people who watch LPs (not here) just do it in the background and tune back in when something interesting sounding happens.